Fund-raiser gets B75,700 for disabled Phuket woman

webfact

Fund-raiser gets B75,700 for disabled Phuket woman
Matt Pond

1422508367_1-org.jpg
The funds raised from the event are to be used to by Wan (front row 3rd from left) a mobility scooter.

Phuket: -- A fund-raising event held last Friday (January 23), of which Class Act Media was a sponsor, raised close to B76,000 to go towards buying a mobility scooter for a local disabled woman, Khun Wan.

The event, held at the Kangaroo Bar in Bangla Rd, was organised by Australian expats Gregory Westcott and Rodney Gothe. Both have known Wan for several years and felt that she deserved a better chance in life having been born with no hands and deformed feet.

Speaking to The Phuket News, Mr Westcott said, “It was a great night. We managed to raise B75,700 Baht at the Kangaroo Bar from donations and a BBQ, and Hash House Harriers made a futher donation of B6,000 on Saturday (January 24).

“However, i̕m pleased to say that we are still receiving donations from various sources.

“Rodney and I will soon be in talks with Pride Mobility in Australia [who will be supplying the scooter at cost price] to work out exactly what kind of transportation Wan will have.

“We are currently leaning towards an electric chair that is specifically built for people with no hands, and Pride are giving us wonderful support with helping to chose the right mode of transport for Wan.

“We will keep everyone involved with updates as soon as we have any.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fund-raiser-gets-b75-700-for-disabled-phuket-woman-50788.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-29

Excellent job Greg and Rod!

I did a lot of similar projects while living in Germany to help people with different disabilities from remote villages of Sri Lanka. Almost all units were taken by friends travelling to Sri Lanka as personal items. Usually, no questions are asked at check-in.

My tip for the transport is that you should approach the Airlines. My experiences were fairly positive.The best bet is to speak to the area manager of Thai Airways.Show them the aspect of publicity as well.

I once had to transport a wheelchair to Namibia from Frankfurt and Namibian Airlines refused to transport it free and asked for 250$US. Fortunately I was going myself.

Therefore, the only option was to sit in it myself.

post-175275-0-35109800-1422579092_thumb.

• Like 1

The same event in Rawai would have been lucky to raise 5000 baht.

Careful iceman, your prejudice is showing. Why mention Rawai at all?

Kudos to the guys who raised the money for the unfortunate lady, not often you hear of anything good happening in Patong. I hope you contributed.

BTW The G.O.M. in Rawai quietly do a lot of ongoing charity work!

tongue.png

Edited by Chainsaw

Careful iceman, your prejudice is showing. Why mention Rawai at all?

Kudos to the guys who raised the money for the unfortunate lady, not often you hear of anything good happening in Patong. I hope you contributed.

BTW The G.O.M. in Rawai quietly do a lot of ongoing charity work!

tongue.png

"not often you hear of anything good happening in Patong" - just the fact that all the "bad things" are happening elsewhere on the island, means that 'good things" are happening in Patong. biggrin.png

Call me old misery guts if you want, but in all these news reports about this campaign, I have yet to read a single comment or quote from Wan as to what SHE wants.

I said in a previous post that I've known Wan for more than 10 years, and she seems to manage just fine with her disability, (is it a disability to her?).

I hope that this scooter is something that she wants, as opposed to something that others think she wants

Apologies in advance if Wan has specifically asked for this scooter :)

Good things happening in Patong.

There's a great community spirit here. smile.png

Well done to the organisers.

What would your Nanai Rd haunts raise?

A couple of rubbers and a quarter gram of ice.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifguitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlwIeRDLq

You're always good for a laugh with your comments HG.

Edited by Chainsaw

Which would be more than other parts of the island would raise. :)