Suvarnabhumi bans taxi driver with rigged meter (VIDEO)

webfact

Suvarnabhumi bans taxi driver with rigged meter (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A Suvarnabhumi Airport taxi driver caught convincing a Japanese expat that a new law made fares THB75 at flagfall has been banned from the airport.

Udon Satsanasupin, a retired police officer-turned-taxi driver, was been banned from the taxi queue at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday after a passenger posted a video of Udon trying to explain why his meter magically started at THB75 instead of of the usual 35.

"It used to be THB35. The new starting fare is THB75," he told the Japanese passenger in Thai. "The Department of Land Transport adjusted the meters of 80,000 taxis in December."

The Japanese man then argued that he’d paid THB35 just earlier this month. The taxi driver smartly responded, "Some taxis have not been adjusted."

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/29/suvarnabhumi-bans-taxi-driver-rigged-meter-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-29

I guess it will be dangerous to use your phone to film dodgy cabbies from now on.

i don't know who is more intimidated by the scamming scum,, the victums or those who hand out the punishments for all the foul deeds. it seems to be the latter in most cases here in LOS.

It's OK though, the driver concerned said he didn't mean to try and cheat him and he didn't realise what he'd done because he was "fatigued".

Just another case of miscommunication, leave the poor Thais alone, it's all the tourists' fault.

• Like 2

I had many experiences that taxi started higher than 35 THB at the taxi stands. They turn the meter on before they pick up the passengers. I had 75 THB, 55 THB and so on.

Not only at the airport, but when I pick up a taxi from the taxi stands such as a bus station, a lot of times the meter is already on and the meter indicates higher than 35 THB. At the airport, there is a surcharge to cover the wait time for the taxi. They should start the meter when they pick up the passenger. Some taxi drivers are honest and good but some drivers are bad. These bad drivers should be banned.

Taxi is cheap here but when they try to rip me off, it does not make me feel good at all.

It does not look good for the image of Thailand if they do it to the tourists.

Taxi drivers should get paid more but at the same time they need a better education.

• Like 1

What about a pre-paid system, where the customer at the airport pays for his fair in advance gets a ticket with the taxi number and goes on his way. the taxi driver can redeem his cash with the ticket stub when he gets back.