Yamaha YZF-R3 Launch

Ozgur

Ordered mine today.

Not sure which colour to go for though, blue or black? Blue stands out a bit more but black is timeless.

attachicon.gif1622810_10202570603306261_3604008967393114390_n.jpg

attachicon.gif10983409_10202570597546117_4655032149954827042_n.jpg

What do you guys think?

congrats macknife! wish you safe and happy rides.

r3 is a great bike in its segment. but i personally believe a higher cc bike after ninja 250 should fit you better though, hope you dont grow on the bike fast as performance difference between your ninja 250 and r3 is only 25 percent or if we put possible better components of r3 into the equation, lets say 30 percent.

regarding the color, normally blue is yamaha's color along with suzuki and it is their racing blue which manifests their racing credentials and looks good.

but black looks the best on r3 somehow. normally black hides the curves of a sportbike and i am not a fan of black sportbikes but on r3, it looks great somehow.

never forget though, people notice you less on the roads on a black bike for sure, no good for awareness.

Maybe Dave can do the math for us but I'm sure it's more than 40% faster, no small amount and I'm sure I'll notice the difference. Yes I could get something with more power but there is not much about in Thailand, I can only think of the CBR650 and I'm not prepared to spend that amount of money on a bike.

Yes the blue is Yamaha and it is very nice (and probably looks better) but so is the black. I feel the blue will look dated when next years model comes out but black is kinda timeless and this model doesn't really have much decal so could easily be changed. The minor but irritating other thing is my new helmet is black red and green which would match a black bike(with red decals) whereas it doesn't match the blue at all.

I don't believe the colour matters for safety in this case. Black bikes stand out more during the daytime because of the severe contrast in colour to the surroundings. At night we have lights and when it's very dark it's very hard to tell the colour of any vehicle as they all look dark.(humans can't see colours in the dark.)

just simple maths, ninja 250 has 250 cc engine and yamaha has a 320 cc one.

Plus crank hp figures are OK for a comparison too.

ninja 250 makes 32 hp and r3 is making 42 hp so making around 30 percent increase in performance. Of course rwhp can gives us a better idea.

still, gearing and sprocket sizes etc can create a big difference as well for acceleration and top speed.

and day light or night, a bright colored motorbike can be seen easier than a black one.

during night, it is not absolute dark especially in the city, there are lights around.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ordered mine today.

Not sure which colour to go for though, blue or black? Blue stands out a bit more but black is timeless.

attachicon.gif1622810_10202570603306261_3604008967393114390_n.jpg

attachicon.gif10983409_10202570597546117_4655032149954827042_n.jpg

What do you guys think?

r3 is a great bike in its segment. but i personally believe a higher cc bike after ninja 250 should fit you better though, hope you dont grow on the bike fast as performance difference between your ninja 250 and r3 is only 25 percent or if we put possible better components of r3 into the equation, lets say 30 percent.

regarding the color, normally blue is yamaha's color along with suzuki and it is their racing blue which manifests their racing credentials and looks good.

but black looks the best on r3 somehow. normally black hides the curves of a sportbike and i am not a fan of black sportbikes but on r3, it looks great somehow.

never forget though, people notice you less on the roads on a black bike for sure, no good for awareness.

Maybe Dave can do the math for us but I'm sure it's more than 40% faster, no small amount and I'm sure I'll notice the difference. Yes I could get something with more power but there is not much about in Thailand, I can only think of the CBR650 and I'm not prepared to spend that amount of money on a bike.

Yes the blue is Yamaha and it is very nice (and probably looks better) but so is the black. I feel the blue will look dated when next years model comes out but black is kinda timeless and this model doesn't really have much decal so could easily be changed. The minor but irritating other thing is my new helmet is black red and green which would match a black bike(with red decals) whereas it doesn't match the blue at all.

I don't believe the colour matters for safety in this case. Black bikes stand out more during the daytime because of the severe contrast in colour to the surroundings. At night we have lights and when it's very dark it's very hard to tell the colour of any vehicle as they all look dark.(humans can't see colours in the dark.)

ninja 250 makes 32 hp and r3 is making 42 hp so making around 30 percent increase in performance. Of course rwhp can gives us a better idea.

still, gearing and sprocket sizes etc can create a big difference as well for acceleration and top speed.

and day light or night, a bright colored motorbike can be seen easier than a black one.

during night, it is not absolute dark especially in the city, there are lights around.

Yes except the Ninja has 30hp not 33 and the R3 is 43hp which is over 40% and looking at the dynos show the Ninja gives out 25hp and the R3 is 38hp that's 50% more power.

Yes except the Ninja has 30hp not 33 and the R3 is 43hp which is over 40% and looking at the dynos show the Ninja gives out 25hp and the R3 is 38hp that's 50% more power.

ninja 250 stated everywhere around 32 crank hp.

anyway lets say 40 % still it is not a very large gap.

just my opinions.

macknife, it is a cool bike at the end. if you are happy, rest does not matter.

black is also nice.

Still no news of when we will actually get these here. I have read that some other countries will get them in March, so I hope it will be the same here. The shop I'm using say I'll be getting the first one they get and I've decided I'm going for the black.

Some customized ones here. Yellow looks good.

post-80215-0-72553900-1424187920_thumb.j

Looks like a nice bike, now starting to see the R15's and they look nice in the flesh, If you had to choose between a cbr 150 or the R15 I would definitely choose the R15.

About he Introduction at C.I.C Buriram,7 February is the chance to see the R3 and Valentino himself!

attachicon.gifR3 introduction 2.jpg

http://therideadvice.com/yamaha-r3-vs-kawasaki-ninja-300-vs-honda-cbr300r-specification-comparison/

love to be there too especially if it is a bike i am really interested o buying.

Don't do it.

Get a Honda 500 for same price or spring for a 650.

Looks like a nice bike, now starting to see the R15's and they look nice in the flesh, If you had to choose between a cbr 150 or the R15 I would definitely choose the R15.

About he Introduction at C.I.C Buriram,7 February is the chance to see the R3 and Valentino himself!

attachicon.gifR3 introduction 2.jpg

http://therideadvice.com/yamaha-r3-vs-kawasaki-ninja-300-vs-honda-cbr300r-specification-comparison/

love to be there too especially if it is a bike i am really interested o buying.

Don't do it.

Get a Honda 500 for same price or spring for a 650.

Why?

The R3 will be a better choice for the boy racers as the gearing in combination with the HP will make it a better bike just about through the entire 0-150 km/h range.

• 1 month later...

Went to see it today and boy did Yamaha <deleted> up! Maybe the engine is great and is fast but forget the rest. The front end looks stylish but that's where it ends. The quality is terrible! The tank is plastic and some weird shape that only a mother could love. The area around the instrument cluster is just messy and cheap. Everything! Fairings, the clip ons, the cables, the levers etc. Way to much bland vinyl plastic all over the bike. The side stand is like a stick, my scooter's is better! The indicators and rear sets are hideous. I guess the wheels look nice. I will not be buying this piece of junk no matter how fast it goes. I thought the Honda 300 range was inferior to the Ninja 300, but it's much better than this new R3. In comparison for quality the Ninja is light years ahead.

This puts me in a bit of a dilemma now as I sold my bike. Get the Ninja 300? I'm leaning towards the Z300 or maybe a CBR500(which I don't like much but it could grow on me) What to do?

I picked up a red R3 today and I am very happy with both its handling and its quality, looks are subjective but most of the other reviews on-line are positive as well, very nippy and when I was following on the missus Ninja 250 I could not keep up and she said she was not pushing. Not quite the top end of my CBX but a good fun little bike with some really nice features such as the gear indicator and upshift light. Problem now is I have to go back to work today and pine for it for 5 weeks. Package we got from Yamaha in Pattaya came to just shy of 200,000 baht otd with insurance a free helmet which they don't have in yet and a free bike class for the Missus

I picked up a red R3 today and I am very happy with both its handling and its quality, looks are subjective but most of the other reviews on-line are positive as well, very nippy and when I was following on the missus Ninja 250 I could not keep up and she said she was not pushing. Not quite the top end of my CBX but a good fun little bike with some really nice features such as the gear indicator and upshift light. Problem now is I have to go back to work today and pine for it for 5 weeks. Package we got from Yamaha in Pattaya came to just shy of 200,000 baht otd with insurance a free helmet which they don't have in yet and a free bike class for the Missus

I'm happy you like but it wasn't for me, so I bought a new Ninja300 instead. 182,500B with 1 year free 1st class insurance and 3000B voucher to spend on what I want in the Kawasaki shop. Good deal I thought.

The area around the instrument cluster is just messy and cheap.

looks pretty standard to me.... cheap yes, but i dont think it looks very messy?

Yamaha-YZF-R3-010.jpg

The tank is plastic and some weird shape that only a mother could love

whats wrong with the tank shape? looks fine to me

Way to much bland vinyl plastic all over the bike.

i agree there is quite a lot of that.... but its an entry level bike, to be expected

despite the plastic parts, i still think it looks better than the ninja300, and its lighter and more powerful to boot.

its getting very good reviews across the board so far, and is preferred over the kawa and honda 300s

Edited by TheRoadWarrior

The area around the instrument cluster is just messy and cheap.

looks pretty standard to me.... cheap yes, but i dont think it looks very messy?

Yamaha-YZF-R3-010.jpg

The tank is plastic and some weird shape that only a mother could love

whats wrong with the tank shape? looks fine to me

Way to much bland vinyl plastic all over the bike.

i agree there is quite a lot of that.... but its an entry level bike, to be expected

despite the plastic parts, i still think it looks better than the ninja300, and its lighter and more powerful to boot.

its getting very good reviews across the board so far, and is preferred over the kawa and honda 300s

Too funny. You say the R3 looks good and I'm wrong but you haven't even seen it yet. I too thought it looked fine in the pictures and was going to buy one. I sold my bike and was first on the list to get an R3 at Yamaha, but then I changed my mind when I saw it for real. Others may not think like me after seeing it, but if you have never seen it, then save your comments.

@Fullcave: All models come with ABS 185,000B

I picked up a red R3 today

congrats... id like to go look at 1 in person this week if i can find one on show in pattaya... did they have a floor model to look at when you were there?

dont need a test ride, just want to see it up close.

I noticed they had two to see at the Yamaha Mityon dealer on Thepprasit Road (near the junction with Sukhumvit). They looked dirty so maybe can get a test drive as well.

I saw one of these at the Yamaha Square shop near Victory Monument (I was going to see if they had the Exciter 150 but they didn't, and said it's not out yet, despite having been told otherwise by the Yamaha call centre).

The R3 didn't look as nice as I was expecting, as others have mentioned. I don't know what about it looked cheap or odd, but it just didn't look as nice as a Ninja 300, for example. I saw a blue one.

Sure it rides nice though, which is what matters.

Too funny. You say the R3 looks good and I'm wrong but you haven't even seen it yet. I too thought it looked fine in the pictures and was going to buy one. I sold my bike and was first on the list to get an R3 at Yamaha, but then I changed my mind when I saw it for real. Others may not think like me after seeing it, but if you have never seen it, then save your comments.

1. obviously i was referring to in pictures, it looks better.... maybe in person it doesnt, thats why i want to see it to confirm... but until that point, it looks better to me

dont get me wrong, i think the ninja looks great as well... just slightly prefer the r3, particularly headlights/front end

2 ive seen multiple r15 in person, thats fairly close to the r3, and i didnt have any problems with how it looked

3. r3 has more hp, more torque, and less weight than the ninja.... that counts for something to me

The R3 didn't look as nice as I was expecting, as others have mentioned.

damn... now thats 2 of you said that.... has me worried! 555

ill go take a look soon and come post if i feel the same way

OK, 555....biggrin.png

1. obviously i was referring to in pictures, it looks better.... maybe in person it doesnt, thats why i want to see it to confirm... but until that point, it looks better to me

dont get me wrong, i think the ninja looks great as well... just slightly prefer the r3, particularly headlights/front end

2 ive seen multiple r15 in person, thats fairly close to the r3, and i didnt have any problems with how it looked

3. r3 has more hp, more torque, and less weight than the ninja.... that counts for something to me

1. I agree the front end looks great even in person, (exhaust and wheels ok too) it was the rest of it that was a let down for me. Go and look at a Ninja (or honda) closely, ie the area around the speedo etc how the front headlight joins to the frame, the clip ons (handlebars) the rear sets, the side panels, the passenger footpegs, kick stand and the fuel tank, then compare those things to the R3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2. My friend has a R15 and it looks good, apart from the front end it's actually better than the R3.

3. Yes a win here for the R3, it does have about 2hp more than the Ninja but I have since learned the weight is misleading. The weight figures quoted are from America and America R3s do not have ABS, plus the fact the Ninja has a 4l larger fuel tank, this makes the weight of the two bikes very close.

The R3 is more expensive here than a Ninja but not in other countries, perhaps for a reason. You may only care about the extra HPs but for me the other factors were important for me.

As I said I think the looks are very subjective but for me the R3 was the nicer looking bike against the Ninja though I did not bother having a proper look at the CBR as the power and everything else is down on that over the other two. I really did not notice any of the points mentioned and thought fit and finish was very nice just as all the other online reviews have

It is a really nice ride with ABS as standard and a better set of tires as standard in the Michelin Street Pilots though they too seemed a bit of a harder compound so a set of Pirreli Sport Demons is on the horizon as it is hard to go back to lower quality tires after having good ones. We tried it 2 up and it got to an easy 150 in no time and with lots left so it is certainly not slow

It was really bought for the missus as an upgrade from the Ninja 250, she is a short arse so there are not too many options but it completely blows away the old bike in all respects and I reckon it is a good alternative to the Honda 500's and is a much more involving ride. I like it and as I said we are very happy with it in all regards but then again it is early days, that said Yamaha have a good rep for reliability so I really don't foresee any issues but never say never...

I got it from the Yamaha shop across Suk from Big C South Pattaya just a couple of meters through the traffic lights in the Jomtien direction, to be honest they were not that organized and did not have the helmets for the bike in but I can live with that and they will let us know when they arrive, they also are going to organize some lessons chucked in as well

It got a lot of attention in the short time I have been on it so far as it is completely different looking to the other 2 it also has a really nice comfortable seat and riding position and also has a much nicer pillion position and seat than her old Ninja, you get the picture, like it..!!

• 3 months later...

Hi Duindam, good to hear your another happy owner too!!

I am still more than happy with the bike and the missus and the sprog love it and I cant get them back onto the Ninja any more, no regrets at all and thoroughly recommended...

Initially I was going to change the tires for a set of Pirrelis but I actually think the tires are fine and have not had any nervous moments on them, the missus dropped it in the garden and broke a foot-peg and the brake lever and getting the parts only took 4 days so no real issues with parts or basic servicing either, fingers crossed everything stays that way....

I don t know the figures but I have a CB500X and there aint a lot in it, the the Honda has a bit more top end and a bit more low end torque but the R3 is a more fun ride but it is good to have both. I was seriously considering a Triumph Tiger 800 or a Ducati Scrambler but with these two and the ninja 250 I really cant justify it as I am very happy with all of them and all three are good cheap fun and well capable of putting a smile on your face and probably as quick as you need on roads over here...

I don t know the figures but I have a CB500X and there aint a lot in it, the the Honda has a bit more top end and a bit more low end torque but the R3 is a more fun ride but it is good to have both. I was seriously considering a Triumph Tiger 800 or a Ducati Scrambler but with these two and the ninja 250 I really cant justify it as I am very happy with all of them and all three are good cheap fun and well capable of putting a smile on your face and probably as quick as you need on roads over here...

Out of interest, what sort of topend are you seeing on both CB500X and the R3?

GPS speed if possible.

I would presume that the X has a lower topend than the CBR and CB Versions. And also perhaps the R3 engine hasn't fully loosened up yet so may be get a good few KPH more over the next few months of use.

Out of interest, what sort of topend are you seeing on both CB500X and the R3?

GPS speed if possible.

I would presume that the X has a lower topend than the CBR and CB Versions. And also perhaps the R3 engine hasn't fully loosened up yet so may be get a good few KPH more over the next few months of use.

Both are roughly 170-180 ish depending on wind and what have you I think I had 185 on the X once but it was a long straight with no wind

I have never bothered checking with the GPS so that is probably a bit higher than real speed but there is quite a bit on the web on top end speeds, I don't tend to go much over 140 and at 120-140 they both have plenty of roll on left so plenty for real time riding really

I reckon the R3 and the CB's are pretty close and it would be interesting to see what is quickest but I have an inkling that the CBXwould pip it, I did see a bloke on a Ninja 300 get absolutely smoked in a straight line with a CBR 500 on youtube though

Cheers.

It's great you have both.

If you were going for a 250km trip, all 3 lane highway, high speed cruising at around 150-160kph for many parts of it, would you take the CB500X or the R3, ?

Thanks.

Edited by Happy Grumpy