Bus And Train Schedules

SnakeBite

I'll let someone else address the buses.

For the Railways of Thailand system the best tip is to skip their web site or Hua Lamphong's office staff [English skills are lacking] and go directly to Thai Overlander Travel They have a woman -Khun Oye- who focuses exclusively on train ticketing. She's got a dedicated computer terminal linked into the rail system and prints tickets on the spot. Well worth the 50 or 60 Bt per ticket commission. Call her at -2-258-9246

They're on Sukhumvit between Asoke and soi 23.

Found this on a Hua Hin website.. I guess the bus will be about 120-130baht 1st class air-con.

You can get to HH by either bus or train. From Bkk, buses leave from the Southern Bus Terminal (sai tai mai) on the west side of the city. A/C buses leave for HH about every 30 minutes from 5 am until about 7 pm. The trip takes 3.5 - 4 hours, longer if traffic leaving Bkk is heavy (rush hour). The terminal in HH is very central, a half a block from the night market. For the way back to Bkk, it might be wise to buy your ticket ahead of time so you can get the departure time you want - it fills fast. The train is more relaxed but most trips have no A/C. Trains leave from Hualampong station (the main station) and stop to pick up more people at other stops before leaving the city. 2nd class seats are a nice way to go - a little more comfortable and you are guaranteed a seat. Buy in advance for 2nd class. For third class seats, just show up and buy your ticket at the station before hoping on. The train station in HH was made for royalty and is quite nice. It is also very leafy. If getting on the train to get back to Bkk, slip over to the chicken restaurant (under Restaurants) close to the station but only open midday.

Hope this helps.. :o

For the Railways of Thailand system the best tip is to skip their web site or Hua Lamphong's office staff [English skills are lacking] and go directly to Thai Overlander Travel They have a woman -Khun Oye- who focuses exclusively on train ticketing. She's got a dedicated computer terminal linked into the rail system and prints tickets on the spot. Well worth the 50 or 60 Bt per ticket commission. Call her at -2-258-9246

They're on Sukhumvit between Asoke and soi 23.

if you are not pushed for time , and dont need your car in bangkok , then the trains are a good way to go , much better than the buses , and i second the recommendation above.

The Transportco busses are slower ... the blue and white ones are more expensive but don't stop as often ....

the Train is slow but a great ride ... 1pm is the best train time out during the day.

the fastest way down if you are not carrying a lot of gear is minivan from Vic Monument. the vans are tight but the fastest way ...

All in all .. for time versus view ... I really enjoy the ride from Hualomphong. It is a great view of a few towns ... but the landscapes and a fewvillages are nice!

I've been partial to trains all my life, and do use the system here. Which is why I recommend you may want to tell tourist friends they often times run behind schedule here. Case in point was my last trip South past Hua Hin, the train down showed up at Hua Lamphong exactly one hour late, while the train back ran a full five hours behind schedule. :D

No explanations offered either way, mind you- just mai bpen rai and off we went :o

Another very handy service to be aware of between BKK- Hua Hin and BKK-Pattaya is the Dusit Resorts' Sprinter. I've ran it both directions and can vouch for it's being both timely and comfy.

More details here: Dusit Sprinter

Edited by GoodHeart

Southern Timetable: Trains

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_PDF.asp

See also www.seat61.com (Thailand)

I admire the seat61.com site- a nice bit of nostaglia there.

The railways of Thailand site, on the otherhand, I would be suspect of. It might be fine for a cursory reference, but they do seem to add trains, cancel them, or switch available classes around- without reflecting changes in the web site.

I tried using that site, the Hua Lamphong ticketing office and my Thai secretary on my last trip and got nothing but, "sorry, too late, that trains is booked" for three days running. Only then did I chance upon Thai Overlander, and let me tell you, the ease with which i booked the trip at that point was priceless. :o

Edited by GoodHeart

dos the Dusit Sprinter actually go into HH? The Dusit is a fair bit out of town

No sir. Resort door to resort door. But the Hua Hin Dusit does have access to a seperate shuttle service into the town. Oddly enough, I think it was the Avis car rental franchise running it.