Hits and misses, your bike on the ground

Rhys

andreandre said, "Gee ,after 50 years full time riding myself i feel i am able to give you some advice...sounds like you didn;'t learn too much in your time.....''enjoying my female companion"??? time and place for everything is there not?... I stand by what i said....you should never be in the position you found yourself in...ie.." I was completely surprised when he passed." "

My my, I am so glad you feel you are in a position to scold me. However, to infer riding with your lady is not the time to enjoy her companionship, shows how little you know, and negates the credibility of your advice.

Each to their own i guess.. Me? if i'm riding anywhere at 145kph ....i'm concentrating 100% on my riding...and leave the ''enjoying my female companion" to be done at my destination...If you had done the same , you would not have found yourself in the potentially life threatening situation you found yourself in, because no matter what your reasoning is,your lack of road awareness/scanning lead up to your being passed in the manner you describe.. " The wind gusts alone almost drove me from the road. He too used no horn and I was completely surprised when he passed." also negates the credibility of your reasoning..Yes?

I am amused that you messaged me to apologize for your "harsh" statements.

I also am amused......There is a club going that you should join...called the ''Adventure before Dementia Club"...oooops you are way too late....giggle.gif

andreandre said, "Gee ,after 50 years full time riding myself i feel i am able to give you some advice...sounds like you didn;'t learn too much in your time.....''enjoying my female companion"??? time and place for everything is there not?... I stand by what i said....you should never be in the position you found yourself in...ie.." I was completely surprised when he passed." "

My my, I am so glad you feel you are in a position to scold me. However, to infer riding with your lady is not the time to enjoy her companionship, shows how little you know, and negates the credibility of your advice.

Each to their own i guess.. Me? if i'm riding anywhere at 145kph ....i'm concentrating 100% on my riding...and leave the ''enjoying my female companion" to be done at my destination...If you had done the same , you would not have found yourself in the potentially life threatening situation you found yourself in, because no matter what your reasoning is,your lack of road awareness/scanning lead up to your being passed in the manner you describe.. " The wind gusts alone almost drove me from the road. He too used no horn and I was completely surprised when he passed." also negates the credibility of your reasoning..Yes?

I am amused that you messaged me to apologize for your "harsh" statements.

I also am amused......There is a club going that you should join...called the ''Adventure before Dementia Club"...oooops you are way too late....giggle.gif

Why is it that we never hear of any of your riding experiences and stories? Do you actually still ride?

Felt bad about this.. one.... Driving the car, I slowed down, did not check my mirror quick enough and a young whipper snapper ran into the back of my car.

The kid was fine.. just a minor abrasion on his leg..but what happened next was a gift..

A security type dude I new happened to hear about my plight, came down.. took control.. police came as the on lookers had the cell..and the were itching for payback payout .. .whatever..

It was my fault, and I just wondered how much this was going to cost me..

The police and the security dude knew each other any my relationship to the security dude..

Paid to have the bike fix.. Cheap, brake level broken, pain scratches.. gave out 3K.. and 1 k to see the MD.. as a matter of form..

Then all was forgiven..

And I watch more carefully now with the motorcycles in my path.. and felt like an absolute TURD for hitting the boys pride and joy bike..

Lesson learned.wai2.gif

Felt bad about this.. one.... Driving the car, I slowed down, did not check my mirror quick enough and a young whipper snapper ran into the back of my car.

The kid was fine.. just a minor abrasion on his leg..but what happened next was a gift..

A security type dude I new happened to hear about my plight, came down.. took control.. police came as the on lookers had the cell..and the were itching for payback payout .. .whatever..

The police and the security dude knew each other any my relationship to the security dude..

Paid to have the bike fix.. Cheap, brake level broken, pain scratches.. gave out 3K.. and 1 k to see the MD.. as a matter of form..

Then all was forgiven..

And I watch more carefully now with the motorcycles in my path.. and felt like an absolute TURD for hitting the boys pride and joy bike..

Lesson learned.wai2.gif

I may misunderstand what you posted...but the kid ran into the back of your car?

I haven't been Thai-fied enough to assign the blame to the front vehicle in a rear end accident yet so as I read your post the other guy was at fault.

As an aside...seems like most of the accidents I've seen in the Kingdom have been this type. There was an exception today where I saw a Vios or whatever roof down in a ditch...

• Like 1

Then all was forgiven..

Lesson learned.wai2.gif

I may misunderstand what you posted...but the kid ran into the back of your car?

I haven't been Thai-fied enough to assign the blame to the front vehicle in a rear end accident yet so as I read your post the other guy was at fault.

As an aside...seems like most of the accidents I've seen in the Kingdom have been this type. There was an exception today where I saw a Vios or whatever roof down in a ditch...

Made a left turn, and did not see the kid, it appeared he was tail gating.. I don't recall... I just felt bad about the kid;s safety and health, and the kids bike.. he had it all souped up as you can imagine..

Working on the speed shifting question?

Then all was forgiven..

Lesson learned.wai2.gif

Made a left turn, and did not see the kid, it appeared he was tail gating.. I don't recall... I just felt bad about the kid;s safety and health, and the kids bike.. he had it all souped up as you can imagine..

Still not your fault, he run into the back of your car, it's not your job to watch whoever is behind you (but it's not a bad idea to check when breaking hard).

You can feel bad but I would kick and fight back and try not to pay a satang.

Now he got an idea he can run into the back of a vehicle driven by a falang and demand a payoff.

P.S. Never say it was your fault during the accident, even if it was. Call your insurance and let them deal if something serious or you're being extorted for the payoff. And get yourself some cheap dash cam or 2 (one for the rear window).

• Like 1

Then all was forgiven..

Lesson learned.wai2.gif

Don't know where you got your licence from but if someone rear ends you, it's their fault, 100% of the time.

If you were turning left and took him out, also his fault for undertaking you.

Instead of feeling bad, you should feel good that you have taught an idiot how to ride / drive properly on public roads.

Actually, the person following you has the right to a reasonable expectation of your driving behavior- by that, I mean that if you jam on your brakes both without warning and reason and are hit by the person behind you, it's your fault.

There was a good example in the legal section of 'Fast Bikes' recently- a man teaching his daughter how to drive wanted her to feel the ABS, so he instructed her to brake as hard as possible on a dual-carriage way without checking behind first, causing a bike to crash- the driver was found liable. In a non-emergency situation, the brakes have to be applied with respect to road conditions.

There's also the popular road-rage-inspired 'brake-check'.;)

• Like 2

Then all was forgiven..

Lesson learned.wai2.gif

Still not your fault, he run into the back of your car, it's not your job to watch whoever is behind you (but it's not a bad idea to check when breaking hard).

You can feel bad but I would kick and fight back and try not to pay a satang.

Now he got an idea he can run into the back of a vehicle driven by a falang and demand a payoff.

P.S. Never say it was your fault during the accident, even if it was. Call your insurance and let them deal if something serious or you're being extorted for the payoff. And get yourself some cheap dash cam or 2 (one for the rear window).

if it is a poor guy or a kid and if i feel bad or if i feel i slammed the brakes too hard resulting his crash to my back, i pay.

I paid a couple of times although it is not my fault or no one demanded any money. maybe i have a soft heart dont know but i feel like i do not want to desert another fellow biker on the road and a couple of thousands bahts does not make me poor or rich too and in return i have good karma:)

i dont care about cars though!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I was riding when a car in front of me started indicating before it turned left. I didn't see it though and tried to pass it but couldn't. It hit me while turning. I decided to fall off the bike and get heavily bruised. I blamed everything on the driver then left.

• Like 1

I was riding when a car in front of me started indicating before it turned left. I didn't see it though and tried to pass it but couldn't. It hit me while turning. I decided to fall off the bike and get heavily bruised. I blamed everything on the driver then left.

Interesting...you admit were totally in the wrong...fair enough..... but what made you ''decide'' to fall off the bike ?

A recent release video...more hits than misses...you never know when your time is up.

A good percentage of those due to the classic mistakes ...

Passing on the right - excessive speed - no skill - target fixation.

Can't do anything about the goat tho'!

• Like 1

A recent release video...more hits than misses...you never know when your time is up.

A good percentage of those due to the classic mistakes ...

Passing on the right - excessive speed - no skill - target fixation.

Can't do anything about the goat tho'!

Yes, maybe half were car/truck/goat? fault.... then a few that were just plain bad luck....but a lot of the bike riders definitely made even the goat look smart ....Darwinism on show.

Hit from behind by a truck while waiting at a red light - me and the bike did a cartwheel. This was when I was still riding a scooter - and normally I didn't bother with protective gear except for a helmet - but I was planning to get a bigger bike so had brought my bike gear from UK, and that morning I put the boots on as I was going on a longer ride. After the cartwheel my toes hit the ground first before I sprawled to a stop in front of a 7-11.

Bruised toes and a grazed arm were the only injuries.

OK another one.. Dogs making a bee line for the feet, while riding.. Slow down let them get close then speed away..

The owner does not give a fying hoot.... The dog waits for motorcyclist, then goes after them.. I have noticed the slow down and speed up.

I think everyone on the street knows the dog and area and we make a conscious effort to look for the Feet chaser...

Years ago, a dog chased and intercepted and somehow got in between the back of the front wheel and I ran over him... The dog cried like heck.. not sure where I hit him.. Did not stick about..

Any suggestions on Dog avoidance trick... Forget the owners of the dogs.. they don't give a Flying Hoot.whistling.gif

if it is a poor guy or a kid and if i feel bad or if i feel i slammed the brakes too hard resulting his crash to my back, i pay.

I paid a couple of times although it is not my fault or no one demanded any money. maybe i have a soft heart dont know but i feel like i do not want to desert another fellow biker on the road and a couple of thousands bahts does not make me poor or rich too and in return i have good karma:)

i dont care about cars though!

Maybe if you feel bad about the rider you could pay them some, it's up to you of course and I haven't been in any accidents in Thailand (knock on wood) but I heard a lot of times when falangs are getting the blame for anything and getting extorted. So this automatically puts me in a defensive position and gives me the attitude based on which my previous reply was.

In any case I wouldn't take the blame especially if it was not my fault.

Smotherb said, "I am amused that you messaged me to apologize for your "harsh" statements."

andreandre said, "I also am amused......There is a club going that you should join...called the ''Adventure before Dementia Club"...oooops you are way too late...."

You really do want to get into it don't you? Well, since you don't support me, I really don't care what you think. And, based on your false apology and unfounded statements, I wonder at your real agenda. Are you simply seeking attention or is your concern for my safety your impetus?

Actually, the person following you has the right to a reasonable expectation of your driving behavior- by that, I mean that if you jam on your brakes both without warning and reason and are hit by the person behind you, it's your fault.

There was a good example in the legal section of 'Fast Bikes' recently- a man teaching his daughter how to drive wanted her to feel the ABS, so he instructed her to brake as hard as possible on a dual-carriage way without checking behind first, causing a bike to crash- the driver was found liable. In a non-emergency situation, the brakes have to be applied with respect to road conditions.

There's also the popular road-rage-inspired 'brake-check'.wink.png

I don't know about Thailand, but State-side if you are unlicensed you are automatically at fault no matter the actual circumstances. There is also a 'failure to maintain a safe distance' ticket. And a 'failure to yield'.

^

License issues aside, in the US it depends on several factors- it's a case of 'comparative negligence'- I've looked into this before when it was brought up on another site, and the driver in front has a duty to the driver behind as far as care is concerned- if the accident could have been avoided if the driver in front hadn't needlessly jammed on his brakes, he bears a high degree of responsibility for what happened as this counts as negligence. If brake lights weren't working or the driver slowed for a turn without signaling, he's liable even if struck by a following car. There are several law-based websites that give examples.

My point is that it's not always 100% the fault of the driver behind (though is usually is)- the driver in front can be at fault.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

^

License issues aside, in the US it depends on several factors- it's a case of 'comparative negligence'- I've looked into this before when it was brought up on another site, and the driver in front has a duty to the driver behind as far as care is concerned- if the accident could have been avoided if the driver in front hadn't needlessly jammed on his brakes, he bears a high degree of responsibility for what happened as this counts as negligence. If brake lights weren't working or the driver slowed for a turn without signaling, he's liable even if struck by a following car. There are several law-based websites that give examples.

My point is that it's not always 100% the fault of the driver behind (though is usually is)- the driver in front can be at fault.

Malicious intent sure plays a role in determination, see your mention of a 'brake-check'. But there are few instances where that happens and the vast majority of time it is strictly the rear most vehicle in such an incident that will be cited.

At least it's not as draconian as apparently the UK is. I was informed that failure to set your parking brake when at a red light can have you on the hook for damages to a car in front of you when you are rear ended and pushed into the car.

I'm not sure that your point is, Dave- I responded to a post that said it's the fault of the driver behind 100% of the time- that's not the case, and I noted an example. Yes, it's almost always that driver's fault, but there are cicumstances where the driver in front bears some, most, or all of the responsibility.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I'm not sure that your point is, Dave- I responded to a post that said it's the fault of the driver behind 100% of the time- that's not the case, and I noted an example. Yes, it's almost always that driver's fault, but there are cicumstances where the driver in front bears some, most, or all of the responsibility.

My point is that if the front driver is not attempting to cause mischief, he bears no responsibility for the actions of the driver behind him.

**edit**

Your exception proves the rule. If there are other examples I would like to hear them. And I'm not being snarky, I would like to know.

Edited by dave_boo

^

What about the point I noted of brake-lights being out? Is that the fault of the driver behind if he didn't receive the appropriate warning that the brakes had been engaged? What about a driver suddenly turning without signaling? There's no intent to cause harm in either case, but, rather, they're either equipment failures that could easily escape notice or driver error/carelessness.

As I said, there are examples noted on legal websites, and likely other case studies if you care to search for them- I already provided an example (which also wasn't an attempt to cause mischief by the driver in front- it was an error in judgement), and there will certainly be others- it's up to you to search for them if you're curious, though.

Edited by RubberSideDown

^^

What about the point I noted of brake-lights being out? Is that the fault of the driver behind if he didn't receive the appropriate warning that the brakes had been engaged? What about a driver suddenly turning without signaling? There's no intent to cause harm in either case.

As I said, there are examples noted on legal websites, and likely other case studies if you care to search for them- I already provided an example (which also wasn't an attempt to cause mischief by the driver in front- it was an error in judgement), and I don't particularly feel like doing the legwork to satisfy your curiosity.

Wow, I am blind or something. Totally didn't see that part of your post or I would have addressed it.

First it would be good to agree that every State has, while being mostly similar, their own laws. And I can just speak from experience about one of them. And 'failure to maintain an assured clear distance ahead' is definitely on the books and enforced. Perhaps you could successfully rebut the presumption of guilt in court, but at the scene you are still cited. I suppose in your example of the tail lights being out or turning without signalling you could possibly be successful in arguing mischief on the other driver's part...but good luck. It still comes back to the fact that you were not far enough back to stop in a safe distance.

Of course, where you come from could have different laws or interpretations on the books.

As an aside I am a big believer in the assured clear distance ahead school of thought. Often times I will use engine braking; if I forget to flash my brake lights the cars behind me simply have to react to the fact that I am slowing down.

Being cited at the scene and being found guilty/liable in court are two very different things.

I also noted 'comparative negligence', as the driver in front can indeed be found to be to some degree liable for what caused the accident. Yes, the general rule is that the driver behind should be at a safe following distance, but the driver in front also has a responsibility to the drivers behind him- even if a driver is following too closely, it's the responsibility of the driver ahead to take note of this and act appropriately.

Every legal site I checked gives the example of brake light failure or stopping in the middle of the road (in the case of a flat tire or other minor problem that doesn't necessitate coming to an immediate stop) as being examples of the driver who was struck from behind being liable.

Edited by RubberSideDown