Wanted: Car trailer instead of Pickup

brufi

When you have to transport some bulk stuff here and there you do not buy a pickup but a trailer you Hitchcock behind your limousine.

The trailer has all the lights as at care read end working and typically braves its own weight so little IMPACT on driving car is that respect.

Low cost, little to break and comfortable, Gas saving driving year round.

Trailer I have seen over here always have been rather dangerous homebrew, dangerous ich contraceptions.

1. Ist it possible to buy EU quality trailer and Pulling installations including electrical wiring for the car?

2. If not I content late importing Basic axis and build myself, possibly on small commercial level.

Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

There are a few decent trailer builders in Thailand. But market for trailers is small so most parts need to be imported thus prices are high. Upbeat is a company that manufactures and sells pretty decent EU quality trailers and also hitch and electro kits for most popular suv and pickup models. Please note that you officially need a registration for a trailer from Transport department. Some manufacturers can provide this, others don't.

There used to be an Aussie owned manufacturer near Hua Hin, but they stopped. Apparently not enough demand.

Going to build my own car trailer with electric brakes, if theres a load on, I want to be able to stop quick as possible here.

We use to have car trailers with steering in Australia, till they were banned for being too wide, but they had a wheel at each corner, very low, great for race cars, and the front wheels were linked to the draw bar which pivoted about 3 foot back from the front cross bar, making the front wheels steer, great design, just can't find a pic of one.

Yep, that looks just like one of my first trailers, I used it later after I got my large enclosed trailer to ferry my cars around locally when I needed various work done on them outside of the shop instead of lugging around the big trailer..

The issue is registrations.. Self built trailers are hard to get certified for the legal plate.

I have a 3 bike trailer I used before I got the truck.. When I went to transfer it from bangkok to here in Chiang Mai the boss lady of the LTO locally (after confused underlings had gone and summoned her) told me flat out, no uncertainty 'trailers could not be registered' legally or have a legal plate.. I then showed her my ownership book and asked then whats this ?? She turned on her heel walked off and refused to come back and talk to me.. She then made the transfer of ownership (and new plate) an absolute nightmare.. Telling me "go do it in bangkok then".. Because I am a stubborn bastard I kept at it until I finally made them do their job.. Took weeks and way more effort than its worth but like I say, have a stubborn streak.

For some purposes a trailer is great.. For others it can be a pain..

• Like 1

The issue is registrations.. Self built trailers are hard to get certified for the legal plate.

I have a 3 bike trailer I used before I got the truck.. When I went to transfer it from bangkok to here in Chiang Mai the boss lady of the LTO locally (after confused underlings had gone and summoned her) told me flat out, no uncertainty 'trailers could not be registered' legally or have a legal plate.. I then showed her my ownership book and asked then whats this ?? She turned on her heel walked off and refused to come back and talk to me.. She then made the transfer of ownership (and new plate) an absolute nightmare.. Telling me "go do it in bangkok then".. Because I am a stubborn bastard I kept at it until I finally made them do their job.. Took weeks and way more effort than its worth but like I say, have a stubborn streak.

For some purposes a trailer is great.. For others it can be a pain..

I applaud your persistence, once again it paid off, I can't stand it when an official tells mai chai, mai dai or anything else relative when they have no REAL idea of what they speak. Telling me "no" just drives me harder when I know it can be done and it is legal, but for whatever reason, be it tea money expected but not offered or laziness, they just don't want to carry it through .

Pick ups are cheaper than cars. Trailers need registering.

Sudden stops are frequent here which is not good for trailers.

Cheap secondhand pick ups cost 40k to a few hundred grand. Anyone that needs to transport loads has a pick up or can borrow one, market would be very limited.

The real hang up with a trailer here is the inspection and registration. Also the vehicle road tax and compulsory insurance have to be paid every year. Max train weight is 3.5T and you will more than likely be stopped at every police checkpoint and an inventive fine imposed. I'm not sure how you would stand re a work permit and visa because clearly it should be a Thai driver for towing a commercial trailer.

The real hang up with a trailer here is the inspection and registration. Also the vehicle road tax and compulsory insurance have to be paid every year. Max train weight is 3.5T and you will more than likely be stopped at every police checkpoint and an inventive fine imposed. I'm not sure how you would stand re a work permit and visa because clearly it should be a Thai driver for towing a commercial trailer.

Actually I had my personal car trailered once from Pattaya to Bangkok when it broke down and not only was it a nice European trailer owned by a Thai, (though I thought the tires were a little small and it was a VERY expensive import he told me) there was no issues at all, it was routine tow by any definition, it wasn't the easiest to load or unload either actually, had much easier to use, cheaper trailers over the years.

My friend used to manufacture trailers in Ratchaburi but he went back to OZ since the demand was to low

A typical box trailer at that time would have costed between 35 and 45.000 bath and that included

the hitch,electrical wiring and the registration.

That's actually a good price, I wish I knew how he marketed it? I think he could have done quite well in the right market, like racing for one example.

My friend used to manufacture trailers in Ratchaburi but he went back to OZ since the demand was to low

A typical box trailer at that time would have costed between 35 and 45.000 bath and that included

That's actually a good price, I wish I knew how he marketed it? I think he could have done quite well in the right market, like racing for one example.

Very !! Simple open bike trailers with reg are usually 55 - 60 min and box trailers much more.

Hell just having an illegal unregistered one fabbed up cost another mate 40k.

I don't think a commercial license is required for a light trailer. Insurance is part of the car and road tax for a light trailer around 100 baht per year. I have driven registered and unregistered trailers all over the south of Thailand and never been stopped by police. They wouldn't know the regulations anyway, so they are smart enough not to bother with them. (Knock on wood...)

Going to build my own car trailer with electric brakes, if theres a load on, I want to be able to stop quick as possible here.

We use to have car trailers with steering in Australia, till they were banned for being too wide, but they had a wheel at each corner, very low, great for race cars, and the front wheels were linked to the draw bar which pivoted about 3 foot back from the front cross bar, making the front wheels steer, great design, just can't find a pic of one.

I would love to see a picture of that trailer......

if it is what I am thinking some of the movie studios here have the same idea.......

then they can put a car on it and film it "driving"

I don't think a commercial license is required for a light trailer. Insurance is part of the car and road tax for a light trailer around 100 baht per year. I have driven registered and unregistered trailers all over the south of Thailand and never been stopped by police. They wouldn't know the regulations anyway, so they are smart enough not to bother with them. (Knock on wood...)

Last year I had to buy a separate gov compulsory insurance..

I dont think I did the year before but its possible with the transfer up here and new plate fees it was somehow bundled in a way I didnt see.. But dont believe so.

I do know some things changed last year in compulsory insurance, doubling of payouts also.. Maybe this is new ??

I have been stopped by police and told the trailer is illegal (and smiles as they thought I was going to pay the fine) they simply assumed it was not registered as I would think most people who have a dirtbike trailer up here have a backstreet built one.. Once I showed plate and Rd tax they let it go..

Well he actually made all sorts of trailers box trailers, boat trailers, bike trailers, trailers to carry bob cats (macros)

trailers to tow behind bikes and so on. Registration is easy if you know what to do, you need drawings of the trailer

at the registration office they compare the drawings and the trailer pick up the license in a few days

the registration also includes insurance for the trailer.

Try and get a car in the back of one sometime?

3665-new_2008-03-10-dsc002181.jpg

whistling.gif

Ok wise guy... That's completely out of character with a Porsche on the back.. Maybe a Scubie or something, but a Porsche? Looks like a Gt3? A hell, all 911's look the same to me with only slight differences outwardly. Like a lot of fun.

That is a good idea except all of that extra weight and resistance the rear end is providing instead of independent rotating wheels on a straight axle.. And the tires are a bit of over kill too also causing way to much rolling resistance.