Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

I think what's mussed though is there are tons of great women here and many would not at all mind marrying a western guy that is active, relatively attractive and somewhat has his act together. My wife is totally cool. She has never disappointed me in the six years I've known her. She is an absolutely lovely human being.

6 years is way too soon to be bragging.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Western women like holidays, they teach overseas a year - but they cant live out of a bag.

Weird that you see a lot of them backpacking, then.

I don't see many backpacking with their boyfriends!

(from start to finish)

I know of one who happily spends weeks on end backpacking with her husband.

That said, I don't doubt it's cheaper to live in Thailand than the US or Canada, but money isn't everything.

But it really sucks not to have any!

----------

I tend to agree. Its better to be healthy and rich than sick and poor.

But:

----------

post-153532-14228829368224_thumb.jpg

OP, I don't know your age, but don't underestimate the value of your health care as you get older. That one issue can break a lot of guys in LOS.

In Canada you can plan and budget. In Thailand the government is a failure at managing the economy, the value of the baht and inflation. They simply don't have a clue what they are doing to themselves. You can't plan anything to any level, as you are seeing.

In Canada at least you have health care and political stability and a predictable rate of inflation "most of the time."

I moved back to the US after only one year of retirement extension. I've visited many times for several months but I won't move back there. If guys were honest with themselves, Thailand is a dirty, corrupt <deleted> compared to their first world country. For those of us who have money or who come from countries where the cost of living is reasonable (USA) I find it better to visit Thailand about once a year for a few months and then come "home."

Good luck with what you decide.

Can I ask what happened??? After only one year on a retirement visa you decided to go back to the USA ?

I thought I explained it. I live in an area of the US with very mild weather. I can understand people from more Northern countries having that as an issue.

The US is simply First World with the cleanliness and safe roads and drinking water, etc. etc. Littering will get you a stiff fine and you can't get out of it. I could walk around for an hour and not see any litter. It's a cultural thing that's been drilled into us.

I own my own home and my taxes are about $150 per month. So I pay the city and state that much "rent" every month but it pays for clean safe streets, street lights, and so on. Just this week a big street sweeper came through the neighborhood and its brushes and vacuum system cleaned all of the street and curbs and gutters.

I have full medical coverage which will last for my lifetime. It's Medicare "F" + RX. In thailand I wouldn't have any.

Consumer items are cheaper in the US. I bought a new Ford F150 full 4 door 4x4 "Supercrew" loaded with extras for just over one million baht ($33,000.) What could I get in Thailand?

I am free to go to Thailand about once a year until I get tired of it and want to come home. I wouldn't trade my first world lifestyle for Thailand on a bet.

But that's just me.

what about the mortgage payment? its got to be more then rent in thailand for an equivalent property, unless you were extremely lucky.

if you own the home outright your also extremely fortunate or had a big wad of cash at some point. that does not mean its cheaper to live in the us for many people. or are you just stating a personal case? thats understandable too.

necessities more expensive in the us, i dont think you cam argue otherwise.

bupa health in thailand is around $50 a month i believe.

so where's the savings, i dont get it.

your right about the littering though and people spitting all over and blowing airborne snot from their nose. one guy even hit me in the leg with a luggy the other day. to his credit he did appear sorry.

never would have believed it. gets even more extreme in neighboring countries like vietnam and cambodia. disgusting.

Edited by fey

If your heart is in Thailand , stay here . I just got back from a holiday from my birth country and couldn't wait to get back to my home here. If I moved back to my country I would be better off , but would I be happy ......NO.

Another thought. I lived in different countries and moved on after a while. I would never participate in a forum for expats in such places. What's the point? Why do people continue posting on TV once they have left Thailand? Is their pain caused by substantial loss of "something" so unbearable? Does bashing Thais and "idiots" still living in the LOS help soothing that pain?

Good questions. I often wonder the same.

Maybe some of us vacation regularly in Thailand for several months and maybe even every year. Maybe we have lived there. It isn't hard to maintain an interest in Thailand especially with the volatility there and frankly, world volatility.

Nah - you're obsessed. You spend your life on this forum spouting drivel about things you know nothing of. I dare you to download and print off your posts for the last week and read them. You'll end up despairing at yourself.

You are quite obviously a lonely man.

Can I ask what happened??? After only one year on a retirement visa you decided to go back to the USA ?

I thought I explained it. I live in an area of the US with very mild weather. I can understand people from more Northern countries having that as an issue.

The US is simply First World with the cleanliness and safe roads and drinking water, etc. etc. Littering will get you a stiff fine and you can't get out of it. I could walk around for an hour and not see any litter. It's a cultural thing that's been drilled into us.

I own my own home and my taxes are about $150 per month. So I pay the city and state that much "rent" every month but it pays for clean safe streets, street lights, and so on. Just this week a big street sweeper came through the neighborhood and its brushes and vacuum system cleaned all of the street and curbs and gutters.

I have full medical coverage which will last for my lifetime. It's Medicare "F" + RX. In thailand I wouldn't have any.

Consumer items are cheaper in the US. I bought a new Ford F150 full 4 door 4x4 "Supercrew" loaded with extras for just over one million baht ($33,000.) What could I get in Thailand?

I am free to go to Thailand about once a year until I get tired of it and want to come home. I wouldn't trade my first world lifestyle for Thailand on a bet.

But that's just me.

what about the mortgage payment? its got to be more then rent in thailand for an equivalent property, unless you were extremely lucky.

if you own the home outright your also extremely fortunate or had a big wad of cash at some point. that does not mean its cheaper to live in the us for many people. or are you just stating a personal case? thats understandable too.

necessities more expensive in the us, i dont think you cam argue otherwise.

bupa health in thailand is around $50 a month i believe.

so where's the savings, i dont get it.

your right about the littering though and people spitting all over and blowing airborne snot from their nose. one guy even hit me in the leg with a luggy the other day. to his credit he did appear sorry.

never would have believed it. gets even more extreme in neighboring countries like vietnam and cambodia. disgusting.

I don't have a mortgage or any other debt. I don't live in an expensive area of the US.

I disagree totally that consumer items are cheaper in Thailand. Totally. Start with cars, motorcycles, electronics and end with clothes. The big things that matter.

Then there's the cost of visas, and I might not be able to get health insurance in Thailand due to my age. I surely couldn't for the rest of my life but in the US I have Medicare. That could be an unexpected major issue.

However, if I wanted to live full time in Thailand I would. I just don't want to. I want to visit and then come "home" to my first world surroundings. It's just a personal preference.

Cheers

You need to become more careful and start thinking about yourself because if you don't who will? I know a few people who gave up their jobs/career, pensions, health care, SSS and almost everything else to marry a Thai and live here in Thailand. After few years of living here believe me, you will start to question your decision. Don't be stupid, don't do it, if you do then you are throwing away your ability to earn a decent living and all the services that goes along with it in your home country. Marry your girlfriend,let her work in Canada, then together you two can build a life there and then later come and retire here in Thailand. Do you have any skills to earn a high income here in Thailand? If not then you will always be struggling and then you will see how long your relations last if you don't earn a certain level of income.

For the twenty zillion, quillionth time:

http://www2.bot.or.th/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=80&language=ENG

Big sigh!

With all due respect, few here are qualified to read a bank's financial statement and even that isn't the BOT's financial statement. It's what it claims to have in foreign reserves. Because no one will accept the baht for oil or other international trading, Thailand (like China and Russia and most others) has to hold $USD to back its trades.

It isn't possible to take a snapshot of one tiny corner of all that's happening and use that to prove why a currency has value.

Russia and China have foreign reserves in US Treasuries to back their trades because few would accept their currencies either. This is where some make the mistake of thinking that the US "owes China money." No, China bought US treasuries so that it could buy on the international market just as Thailand has.

Now please start over and tell me why the baht is so high against many other currencies.

You should read more carefully! My post was in response to another poster who said, "I very much doubt that the Bank of Thailand would have the resources to prop up the currency to any degree" and was not an attempt to explain, "why the baht is so high against many other currencies". The availability of BOT foreign currency reserves proves that BOT does have that capability, whether or not it uses those reserves for that purpose is another subject, as is why the Baht is so strong.

Sorry, you really don't understand international finance.

Thailand's foreign currency reserves aren't liquid and neither are those of other countries. They hold those reserves to have the currency they need to engage in international trade. No one will accept Thai baht for imports and no one will pay in Thai baht for exports.

Thailand MUST sit on foreign currency reserves to back its international trades. A lot of things are purchased with US dollars. Most countries hold USD in the form of treasuries to back their trades. If it used its international currencies to manipulate the baht it would be out of international business.

BTW, this is why many people mistakenly think the "the US owes China money." No, China has to buy US Treasuries to back its international trades which are done in dollars. No one would accept Thai or Chinese money for oil or most other things they want to import. If they didn't sit on a lot of USD ships would stop coming to their ports.

Big sigh!

With all due respect, few here are qualified to read a bank's financial statement and even that isn't the BOT's financial statement. It's what it claims to have in foreign reserves. Because no one will accept the baht for oil or other international trading, Thailand (like China and Russia and most others) has to hold $USD to back its trades.

It isn't possible to take a snapshot of one tiny corner of all that's happening and use that to prove why a currency has value.

Russia and China have foreign reserves in US Treasuries to back their trades because few would accept their currencies either. This is where some make the mistake of thinking that the US "owes China money." No, China bought US treasuries so that it could buy on the international market just as Thailand has.

Now please start over and tell me why the baht is so high against many other currencies.

You should read more carefully! My post was in response to another poster who said, "I very much doubt that the Bank of Thailand would have the resources to prop up the currency to any degree" and was not an attempt to explain, "why the baht is so high against many other currencies". The availability of BOT foreign currency reserves proves that BOT does have that capability, whether or not it uses those reserves for that purpose is another subject, as is why the Baht is so strong.

Thailand's foreign currency reserves aren't liquid and neither are those of other countries. They hold those reserves to have the currency they need to engage in international trade. No one will accept Thai baht for imports and no one will pay in Thai baht for exports.

Thailand MUST sit on foreign currency reserves to back its international trades. A lot of things are purchased with US dollars. Most countries hold USD in the form of treasuries to back their trades. If it used its international currencies to manipulate the baht it would be out of international business.

BTW, this is why many people mistakenly think the "the US owes China money." No, China has to buy US Treasuries to back its international trades which are done in dollars. No one would accept Thai or Chinese money for oil or most other things they want to import. If they didn't sit on a lot of USD ships would stop coming to their ports.

But if those countries would decide to dump their US$ reserves tomorrow, the US$ would fall of the cliff and their own currency go through the roof, enabling them to load up their reserves at a discount the very next day.

what would take one day?

Dump their US$ reserves and buy them back cheaper.

Yes, but then they couldn't sell their crap to people in the US.

You think if the US$ value against the Yuan drops overnight the Americans won't buy the Chinese crap anymore?

Then where have the Chinese been offloading their crap in the previous years that the US$ lost about 20% of its value?

what would take one day?

You think if the US$ value against the Yuan drops overnight the Americans won't buy the Chinese crap anymore?

Then where have the Chinese been offloading their crap in the previous years that the US$ lost about 20% of its value?

State owned enterprises. They don't produce to market demands, they just produce to keep people employed regardless of whether the stuff sells or not, much of it gets dumped. Then, just before the particular SOE goes pop, a state owned bank is instructed by the CCP to bail out the failed SOE.

This is the reason the EU has anti-dumping laws.

State owned enterprises. They don't produce to market demands, they just produce to keep people employed regardless of whether the stuff sells or not, much of it gets dumped. Then, just before the particular SOE goes pop, a state owned bank is instructed by the CCP to bail out the failed SOE.

Nice theory, next explain to us why the US and EU shops are loaded with Chinese crap.

Nice theory, next explain to us why the US and EU shops are loaded with Chinese crap.

They're not loaded with it.

If you read anything by Gordon E. Chang on the Chinese economy you'd understand.

Why the Thai Baht is tied to US currency is beyond me, since it's obviously damaging to Thai economy, exports, and the tourist industry etc.

The Thai baht hasn't been pegged to the US dollar since the 1998 Asian financial crisis.

Prior to 1998 the Thai baht was pegged to the USD at approx 25 baht per dollar. Since 1998 the Thai baht has floated against the US dollar, and ranged from approx 50 baht to 27 baht per dollar.

Maybe in name Gecko 123 but it's certainly acting like it's tied, why would the Baht be so strong?

Presumably it is strong because it is in demand - tourism, trade, expats remittances etc - I very much doubt that the Bank of Thailand would have the resources to prop up the currency to any degree.

Big sigh!

Indeed, if people checked they would see that Thailand has in some cases more foreign holding s on hand than their home countries.

The Thai baht isn't remarkably strong, western economies and governments are financially incredibly weak. They are printing money as never been seen before and everyone is wingeing that the baht is strong.

This is patently idiotic. The baht is on its long winding way back to where it was in 1996.

All the rest of it, is simply a recovery back from the crash.

Big sigh!

Except the value of Thai trade is nowhere near USD 160 bill plus the country currently runs a trade surplus. Sorry but you are incorrect on the liquidity issue.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/exports

But if those countries would decide to dump their US$ reserves tomorrow, the US$ would fall of the cliff and their own currency go through the roof, enabling them to load up their reserves at a discount the very next day.

You don't understand how the US Fed works. It issues bonds and it buys bonds. There is a US market and an international market for bonds (treasuries.) The Fed has to keep enough USD in circulation to meet the needs for international exchange.

About 65% of US treasuries are owned domestically and about 35% are owned by foreigners. China holds about 7% and Japan about the same because they both do so much import and export. They need dollars to engage in foreign trade. LINK

Think about this. Everyone knows that Japan is heavily in debt to the tune of about 250% of its GDP, and yet it NEEDS 7% of US debt ($USD) to do international business. This is no different for China.

Bottom line is that if China sold its treasuries the Fed would buy them and the value wouldn't drop at all. THEN China would have to scramble to try to replace the USD so it could continue to import and export. It would be screwed.

I don't think you were ever an international banker, were you? Yes I was for the first 1/2 of my working life.

Cheers

Not sure where in Canada you are from or would like to live, but a mitigating reason for Thailand is the weather. Toronto currently -11c. Vancouver 8c, but you know the rain there can last a long time, and being cold and wet is worse than cold and dry (snow). So, what about 6-8 months Thailand for the winter and spring, summer, start of fall in Canada rest of the time? Your Thai gf would appreciate it (winter so cold and dark...)

Not sure where in Canada you are from or would like to live, but a mitigating reason for Thailand is the weather. Toronto currently -11c. Vancouver 8c, but you know the rain there can last a long time, and being cold and wet is worse than cold and dry (snow). So, what about 6-8 months Thailand for the winter and spring, summer, start of fall in Canada rest of the time? Your Thai gf would appreciate it (winter so cold and dark...)

I don't mind cold at all as long as it's sunny and doesn't have too much rain or snow. I could do S. Alberta or Saskatchewan which would be similar to Montana or N. Dakota in the US. It's the continual cloudiness, drizzle and even coastal storms that get me down.

I had a Work colleague back in 2009 (58yo)who left everything to go marry and live with his Thai GF in Thailand.

He actually got fired for taking too many "sick days"...yes he was taking weeks at a time to visit Thailand.

Anyway he came back last year and lost all his money from his house sale etc and last i heard was trying to make ends meet driving a Cab on the nightshift here in Farangland because he couldnt find any other job and was broke.

Everytime i spoke to him he would slam Thailand.."oh its a B....d of a place you know !! He would shout.

Edited by georgegeorgia

what would take one day?

No.

I do think that if the bottom falls out of the dollar overnight (as in the scenario you described previously) most Americans would not be able to buy Chinese crap.

If the value drops 20% over ten years, (as you are describing now) I don't think Americans would notice.

When your currency goes south, your buying power goes with it, yes?