Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

I had been to Canada many times and seen many places there. It is cold but it is a wonderful country with good people around who makes you feel at home no matter where you are from. So if that is the choice you going to make and it make you happy then go ahead. You never know your wife or girl friend will find a job there too.

If you are not sure about your choice and you trust your girl friend then let her stay in Thailand for a year and you try Canada and find out for yourself if you will be more happy in Canada or Thailand then you will be in better position to make a right choice. Good luck

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited Thailand many times over the last 28 years. It was cheap then. And it was so full of Thainess.

I decided to settle there, over 9 yaers ago. It was cheap then, and still a lot of Thainess.

But i watched as it became more and more expensive, and see the Thainess dissapear.

So 12 Months ago, I decided to say goodbye. I now live in the Philippines. I have a lovely girl who speaks English, and is not money driven.

It is a cleaner lifestyle, and a lot cheaper. I am sorry to say, because I like Thailand, but it is just not the place it used to be, and I found myself continually checking prices and buying cheaper alternatives. Goodbye Thailand, and Good luck, your going to need it.

What's next,Bangladesh?

You can always try out Canada and if she can't stand it come back.

Since he's thinking about moving back to Canada for budgetary reasons, do you really think shifting households from Thailand to Canada and potentially back to Thailand again and asking his wife to give up a good job that may not be open to her again if she returns (and no certainty she could find similar employment in Canada) is sensible financial planning?

The money a low wage worker can make in Canada in one year is enough to pay for the move. And getting a job in TH doesn't seem to be much of a problem these days. Besides, it seems like he's thinking long-term, so it's worth trying out a different place before making a decision.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Money isn't everything. Go wherever makes you happiest.

Perhaps in your world, but not in the real world. In the end it all boils down to money. Nice words and happy thoughts won`t provide a roof over the head or put meals on the table.

Firstly the OP has to financially evaluate his situation. If he is not able to support himself long term in Thailand then he has no choice but to either return to his home country or elsewhere where he can work and make a living.

If the OP has no job or tangible assets in his own country, than bringing his girlfriend or future wife back with him is also going to be out of the question. Only option is that he and his now present girlfriend decide on where they actually want to be for their futures and then work at it. Meaning working hard to acquire a home and assets and if that will take several years, than so be it, otherwise if one partner or the other is not prepared to wait until their situations become applicable for marriage, then the relationship cannot be viable and is doomed from the start.

That`s the reality of the situation.

I would have to agree with Soibiker that money isn't everything.

Buuuuuuuut, you need money to buy the things it isn't.........................wink.png

Good post BJ

Sounds like many that while living in Thailand you never ate Thai food. Lived on over priced expensive crap foreign food. Thailand too expensive ? Yea if your diet is booze and foreign food.

sure thailand is cheap if you want to he'lin a rural backwater eat thai food at the market and drink chang...but its not for everyone,some have higher aspirations!

If you don't want to eat Thai food and drink Thai beer, why the hell would you come to Thailand?

Thai beer is already more expensive than beer in Europe or the US, at least 10 to 20% more if I compare Chang with a mid-range beer in Europe, wine is absurd.

And if you buy basic ingredients it doesn't make any difference if you turn them in to Thai or other food.

Many posters suggesting the West is cheaper than Thailand are/were living in Bangkok or big tourist cities and living a western lifestyle.

You can't compare the expenses of living in Bkk with Yuma, Arizona or Biggar, Saskatchewan and then say US or Canada are cheaper.

I moved from Vancouver, Canada's most expensive city, to Chiang Rai.

I live on a quarter of what I spent in Canada and I now live in a nice 2 bedroom townhouse instead of a basement suite.

Sounds like many that while living in Thailand you never ate Thai food. Lived on over priced expensive crap foreign food. Thailand too expensive ? Yea if your diet is booze and foreign food.

sure thailand is cheap if you want to he'lin a rural backwater eat thai food at the market and drink chang...but its not for everyone,some have higher aspirations!

If you don't want to eat Thai food and drink Thai beer, why the hell would you come to Thailand?

Thai beer is already more expensive than beer in Europe or the US, at least 10 to 20% more if I compare Chang with a mid-range beer in Europe, wine is absurd.

And if you buy basic ingredients it doesn't make any difference if you turn them in to Thai or other food.

I don't know how much beer costs in the US, but it's certainly cheaper in Thailand than in the UK. A big bottle of Chang is about 50 baht - an equivalent sized bottle of lager in a UK supermarket will cost you around £2.

As for ingredients - of course it makes a difference. Thai food is made from local ingredients which are cheap to buy. If I want to make, say, Italian food, I'll have to buy things like pasta, cheese, plum tomatoes etc, all of which cost a lot more here.

I don't know how much beer costs in the US, but it's certainly cheaper in Thailand than in the UK. A big bottle of Chang is about 50 baht - an equivalent sized bottle of lager in a UK supermarket will cost you around £2.

A little bar/restaurant near my pals house in Mae Rim charges 149Bht for 3 large Chang or 159Bht for 3 large Leo.

Includes a bucket of ice & free wifi.

Doesn't seem expensive to me.

(60m down the Soi nearest to Tops in case you fancy a visit to it.)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

A little bar/restaurant near my pals house in Mae Rim charges 149Bht for 3 large Chang or 159Bht for 3 large Leo.

Includes a bucket of ice.

Indeed. I can't imagine you'd find a bar in the UK serving lager for a pound a pint.

Includes a bucket of ice.

if beer price us your only problem , then your in the right place. If its expensive to live in thailand what about the poor Thai people, Their money buys less.

Edited by Thongkorn

The Canadian $ isn't low against the Baht because of the strength of the Baht, but rather because of the weakness of the C$.

So if it is weak soon the prices of imported goods in Canada will rise accordingly.

The Canadian $ (and many other currencies) is weak for two major reasons, (1) in a minor way the slide in oil prices, but more importantly (2) the strength of the US $. Because the Baht is basically tied to the US $, the Baht will rise and fall against most currencies in the world as the US $ rises, and falls. Why the Thai Baht is tied to US currency is beyond me, since it's obviously damaging to Thai economy, exports, and the tourist industry etc. One scenario is like Winston Churchill in the late 1940's and early fifties, he (Bull Doggedly) tied the GB pound to $4.00 to the pound, and it nearly bankrupted the UK and eventually lost him the election. The reason he did it was pure pride and an inability to accept that the UK was now second in line to the US. I believe the same is happening with the Baht. Heaven help us when the US starts raising interest rates in the summer or late fall, because if that happens, we ain't seen nothin' yet!!!

Why the Thai Baht is tied to US currency is beyond me, since it's obviously damaging to Thai economy, exports, and the tourist industry etc.

The Thai baht hasn't been pegged to the US dollar since the 1998 Asian financial crisis.

Prior to 1998 the Thai baht was pegged to the USD at approx 25 baht per dollar. Since 1998 the Thai baht has floated against the US dollar, and ranged from approx 50 baht to 27 baht per dollar.

Why the Thai Baht is tied to US currency is beyond me, since it's obviously damaging to Thai economy, exports, and the tourist industry etc.

The Thai baht hasn't been pegged to the US dollar since the 1998 Asian financial crisis.

Prior to 1998 the Thai baht was pegged to the USD at approx 25 baht per dollar. Since 1998 the Thai baht has floated against the US dollar, and ranged from approx 50 baht to 27 baht per dollar.

Maybe in name Gecko 123 but it's certainly acting like it's tied, why would the Baht be so strong?

The bigger issue is that I have nothing in common with a typical Canadian woman.

What do you have in common with a typical Thai woman?

Good point.

Nothing. I have nothing in common, but at least when I go out walking on the street I see young gals who are just happy to be with their friends. The fact that most of them wear sexy shorts and skirts helps too. Really..... It just feels less depressing. I can't exactly put it in words but I would rather watch Thais take selfies instead of bitching about work and family.

Many posters suggesting the West is cheaper than Thailand are/were living in Bangkok or big tourist cities and living a western lifestyle.

You can't compare the expenses of living in Bkk with Yuma, Arizona or Biggar, Saskatchewan and then say US or Canada are cheaper.

I live on a quarter of what I spent in Canada and I now live in a nice 2 bedroom townhouse instead of a basement suite.

Thailand is best enjoyed by living a western oriented lifestyle. Dine at nice places, live in serviced condos, drive nice cars, enjoy the fabulous weather all year etc

Live in Canada and find a Canadian GF/wife?

Possible, but it would be an ass thing to do.

The bigger issue is that I have nothing in common with a typical Canadian woman.

Not judging, but it is what it is.

Understand. Most "normal" Thai girls would much prefer to live in Thailand. It's the screwed up ones from dysfunctional families that want to leave. So at least you have a normal one--that's good. Tough situation. If she's making a decent salary, the two of you should be able to make a go of it in Thailand, even if your job doesn't pay all that well. Unless you have some great career prospects in Canada. I've always felt that working/slaving away in the west and retiring in Thailand was the way to go. But hey, you would know best your own circumstances.

First of all, things will start getting more expensive in Canada if the exchange rate stays around 1.25 to 1 USD. So at the moment, the THB is a good currency to earn.

Secondly, I find my wife loves living in Canada as long as she gets to fly home to Thailabd every few weeks. With 6-8 trips a year I have it covered. Works for now, later will see. It's been nearly 10 years of this commuting lifestyle and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Thirdly, don't you work in Thailand also? Wages in Canada aren't that grewt. Rents are high and you have to pay for heating (no such thing as fan only in winter).

Edited by teutonian

Thailand is best enjoyed by living a western oriented lifestyle. Dine at nice places, live in serviced condos, drive nice cars, enjoy the fabulous weather all year etc

Off topic I believe, but I must disagree on nearly every point!

Best dining for me is at home, I prefer the privacy and space of a house, I dislike driving cars and prefer a bicycle or m/c, weather is where we agree.

Western orientated lifestyle, not sure I know what that means, food is food, happy to eat any style of food, not all that fixated on one style.

I was in Canada before Christmas and I found it more expensive than Thailand. I wasnt on holiday I was working there so it wasnt that I was a tourist.

But having said that you know Canada better than I do so I guess you could be right

Best dining for me is at home, I prefer the privacy and space of a house, I dislike driving cars and prefer a bicycle or m/c, weather is where we agree.

Western orientated lifestyle, not sure I know what that means, food is food, happy to eat any style of food, not all that fixated on one style.

Everyones priority is different, I suck at cooking, cant cook if my life depended on it, so no choice but to eat outside. I agree that public transportation and taxi is the best alternative while travelling around bangkok, but I like fast cars, again thats just me :D

By western oriented I mean living in a decent place, access to high quality food, good education, good healthcare etc. I see some people here living in bad environments, no aircon, bad hygenie etc why do they put up with it I dont know, I'd go back to my country if I had to live like a bum here.

Couldn't agree more. Really what's the point of living in TH if all you're going to do is recreate a 'Western oriented lifestyle'. I think you'd prefer Arizona or Florida. Lots of your type of folks there and the weather is ok.

Understand. Most "normal" Thai girls would much prefer to live in Thailand. It's the screwed up ones from dysfunctional families that want to leave. So at least you have a normal one--that's good. Tough situation. If she's making a decent salary, the two of you should be able to make a go of it in Thailand, even if your job doesn't pay all that well. Unless you have some great career prospects in Canada. I've always felt that working/slaving away in the west and retiring in Thailand was the way to go. But hey, you would know best your own circumstances.

First of all, things will start getting more expensive in Canada if the exchange rate stays around 1.25 to 1 USD. So at the moment, the THB is a good currency to earn.

Secondly, I find my wife loves living in Canada as long as she gets to fly home to Thailabd every few weeks. With 6-8 trips a year I have it covered. Works for now, later will see. It's been nearly 10 years of this commuting lifestyle and I haven't grown tired of it yet.

Thirdly, don't you work in Thailand also? Wages in Canada aren't that grewt. Rents are high and you have to pay for heating (no such thing as fan only in winter).

Take your State tax and Federal tax out and you have nothing left. If you can afford your g/f - wife to return to Thailand every few weeks then it shouldnt be a problem living in Thailand

Someone mentioned how surprised I'd be about prices when I go back to Canada. Well...I am back in Canada. I own a small condo in downtown Toronto (mortgaged) but because I have a renter there I'm staying in my mom's place in Hamilton. Now here is the thing......

Even in a dump like Hamilton, there are some really nice supermarkets with the choice of food and prices that are light years ahead of anything offered in bangkok. You have to remember that Canada is about 15-20% more expensive when it comes to groceries yet I find it cheaper than Thailand. I don't drink so I can't compare the prices of booze.

Apartments in Hamilton are old. War era buildings converted to condos and can be had relatively cheap. 100k can get you a 2 bedroom, but the thing is once you renovate it it will be of better quality than anything that's being built in Thailand especially condos which sell for 6 million baht minimum and look like ghetto in 10 years.

After staying in Canada for 10 years my gf would be eligible for pension even if she didn't work at all. If we buy something cheap and both of us work minimum wage we would be taken care in old age even if we didn't save a penny. Combine that with free healthcare and cheap meds for seniors this looks like a no brainer.

Right now we both earn a decent income. Not great but it's 100k a month combined. I live in her townhouse that she fully paid off and can afford to stay in nice hotel every weekend. It's just that this might not last and I am truly concerned about living in Thailand in old age. I have asthma and high blood pressure. One heart attack and it could leave me bankrupt.

Couldn't agree more. Really what's the point of living in TH if all you're going to do is recreate a 'Western oriented lifestyle'. I think you'd prefer Arizona or Florida. Lots of your type of folks there and the weather is ok.

Low cost of living, you can eat out here everyday and it wont put a dent on your budget (assuming you earn a western income here).

In the west, can you eat out everyday?

Accomodation is dirt cheap, you could rent a very decent service condo for $1000/month, how much would you need to pay for a similar quality condo in manhatttan? Probably 4k or more.

If you earn 60k a year in USA after taxes, you're middle class, in Thailand you're upper middle class and may even be regarded as upper class if you're living alone. Heck, If I earned 6k usd here every month, I could afford to have breakfeast at a 5 star hotel at least 3-4 times a week, and it would be no issue really.

I think your fortune ran out way before the currency exchange rate went down a bit.

When I go back to Canada, I am a bit shocked at the price of boneless chicken breasts, at about 500 bahts a kilo rather than 100 bahts here.

And regarding health care, here at least you can get to see a doctor. So unless you are considering open heart surgery, Thailand is way better...

And here no need for a shovel...hehehe

Why not just live in the west?

Everyones priority is different, I suck at cooking, cant cook if my life depended on it, so no choice but to eat outside. I agree that public transportation and taxi is the best alternative while travelling around bangkok, but I like fast cars, again thats just me biggrin.png

By western oriented I mean living in a decent place, access to high quality food, good education, good healthcare etc. I see some people here living in bad environments, no aircon, bad hygenie etc why do they put up with it I dont know, I'd go back to my country if I had to live like a bum here.

Maybe they prefer it that way. My apartment has aircon, but I never turn it on. I like fast cars too, but I wouldn't drive a car in Bangkok if you paid me.

I'd go back to my country if I wanted to live a western lifestyle.

Take your State tax and Federal tax out and you have nothing left. If you can afford your g/f - wife to return to Thailand every few weeks then it shouldnt be a problem living in Thailand

Provincial and federal tax aren't as bad as property tax. I pay almost $10k per year in property tax on my condo in Canada which cost $450k less than ten years ago. Plus condo fees of another 15k per year plus special assessment on the condo of another $800 a month. Haven't leased a car, heated the place, turned on the lights and its already &3k a month. In Bangkok: no property tax (yet), low cost of maintenance and condo fees. Investments in real estate over here return 6-12 percent p.a. Which is completely unachievabe in Canada.

That said I don't want to be stuck here on a 365 day basis. If I d don't already fly back and forth every month I would do it at least three or four times a year anyways.

Everyone has different criteria. But living on 30,000 baht would put you below the poverty line anywhere in the West. In Thailand it lets you enjoy life. (I think. Never tried to live on 30k per month but it seems doable)