Staying in Thailand for online work, what is the situation now?

You do NOT need a work permit when your job is outside of Thailand and you pay your tax in another country.

If the job requires you to use internet when you're travelling and you do not live here more than 6 months at a time, you don't have to worry. All you need is a visa, doesnt matter which one .

• Like 1

You do NOT need a work permit when your job is outside of Thailand and you pay your tax in another country.

If the job requires you to use internet when you're travelling and you do not live here more than 6 months at a time, you don't have to worry. All you need is a visa, doesnt matter which one .

But of course like everyone else yours is an opinion and an opinion only so depending on the official and judge concerned you could be wrong also

As current rules make no reference to where or even if you pay ( volunteers who need a wp don't pay tax either) and the 180 days mentioned comes from Thai tax law and not the labour law

But now you mention it the 180 days could be a measure, spend more than 180 pa in Thailand and you have to prove how your supporting yourself and your tax affairs are in order and maybe even pay tax in Thailand

These keyboard cowboys have options !

1 Be legal with a "proper" visa (+/- extensions of stay ) and work permit

OR

2. Be illegal and run the risk by existing on inappropriate short term visas !

No need for pages of "debate"

: > )

You make it sound like such a setup as in your nr 1 above is feasible for anyone. If one works for a non-Thai company, and has a pay level and work benefits that one doesn't want to loose, how does one get that work permit you talk about?

I'm not saying that you are incorrect about the actual options that are available. I just think that it sounds like you have a somewhat narrow idea of how great the available options are, and you don't seem to like that other people have different opinions on this subject.

But it is feasible if someone can be bothered but most are not or don't make the money they claim to make this viable

I have a friend who has a full on line business in Thailand who has no Thai clients and operates solely for foreign clients outside Thailand and he has a Thai WP and business

Per the question you asked, assuming a single employer, not that it matters, you set up a Thai Ltd company you work for in Thailand and the Thai company invoices the foreign company not rocket science

These keyboard cowboys have options !

1 Be legal with a "proper" visa (+/- extensions of stay ) and work permit

OR

2. Be illegal and run the risk by existing on inappropriate short term visas !

No need for pages of "debate"

: > )

You make it sound like such a setup as in your nr 1 above is feasible for anyone. If one works for a non-Thai company, and has a pay level and work benefits that one doesn't want to loose, how does one get that work permit you talk about?

I'm not saying that you are incorrect about the actual options that are available. I just think that it sounds like you have a somewhat narrow idea of how great the available options are, and you don't seem to like that other people have different opinions on this subject.

But it is feasible if someone can be bothered but most are not or don't make the money they claim to make this viable

I have a friend who has a full on line business in Thailand who has no Thai clients and operates solely for foreign clients outside Thailand and he has a Thai WP and business

Per the question you asked, assuming a single employer, not that it matters, you set up a Thai Ltd company you work for in Thailand and the Thai company invoices the foreign company not rocket science

Being bothered, and having the money doesn't make it feasible!

Setting up a Thai Ltd company is not easy, and I'd be more worried about having this fake company than working online without a work permit.

Being bothered, and having the money doesn't make it feasible!

Setting up a Thai Ltd company is not easy, and I'd be more worried about having this fake company than working online without a work permit.

Is not that is not easy, is more that like, as you said, that is fake, and it's not even your company.

When Thailand will recognize the not all work is to be done as a company, and that in an open economy foreigners are entitled to ownership (let alone health and social services), more foreigners will abide, come to work here, pay taxes, etc. Until then, Thailand will just get the crumbles, and the topic remains just an occasion for the envious and frustrated to vent their rage. As if it would made a difference.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2