Dogs in restaurants: on the table!

chingmai331

Just don't go there again but make it known, politely, to the waitress why you won't... not that they will relay to their boss and not that the boss would care in any case. Stuff like this really is not worth your energy in getting het-up about because there is zilch you can do about it.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just don't go there again but make it known, politely, to the waitress why you won't... not that they will relay to their boss and not that the boss would care in any case. Stuff like this really is not worth your energy in getting het-up about because there is zilch you can do about it.

I agree, let sleeping dogs lie

My wife and I love to take our dog with us when we go out for dinner. One of the great charms and benefits of living in CM that people can still do that. Our dog is well behaved and knows what she is allowed and not allowed to do. Restaurant staff often welcome her back whenever we return.

This is common practice in many European countries.

• Like 2

I quote "it is true there is some risk if the dog is sitting on the table". I see some inability to read my American friend.

I am also sure that this is a handbag dog and knowing Thais it has probably never even seen a pavement. I certainly look forward to the calibre of your arguments sir!

• Like 2

A dog that is up-to-date on all his vaccinations poses no real health risk in a restaurant or other place. If it were true that dogs created an unhealthy environment at a restaurant, they would also be making their owners sick every time they walked into the kitchen. It’s unfortunate that public perception sees things otherwise.

It is true that there would be some risks if the dog is sitting on the table, however as long as the table is cleaned then these risks would only be to the occupants at that time. There is also some minor risks if the cook or chef pet the dog and then prepared your food without washing. However these risks are insignificant compared to using the toilet or say handling raw meat and then your salad without again thoroughly washing their hands.

One of the reasons I live in Thailand is my hate of the over regulated lunacy that has taken over the west. I therefore think that you should choose one of the many restaurants that do not allow dogs or perhaps return to the restrictive, big brothers watching you west.

EXCUSE

ME ! A dogs feet on a dining table is no real threat ? After it has walked on sidewalks where dog feces are common ? Can we look forward to more posts from you of this caliber ? Hope not.

Probably why they give you plates in restaurants. You never know what goes on out the back in kitchens so a dog on a table would not worry me if i was next to that table. Get the waitress to wipe down the table and if the dog isnt on your table who cares!

• Like 2

A dog that is up-to-date on all his vaccinations poses no real health risk in a restaurant or other place. If it were true that dogs created an unhealthy environment at a restaurant, they would also be making their owners sick every time they walked into the kitchen. It’s unfortunate that public perception sees things otherwise.

It is true that there would be some risks if the dog is sitting on the table, however as long as the table is cleaned then these risks would only be to the occupants at that time. There is also some minor risks if the cook or chef pet the dog and then prepared your food without washing. However these risks are insignificant compared to using the toilet or say handling raw meat and then your salad without again thoroughly washing their hands.

One of the reasons I live in Thailand is my hate of the over regulated lunacy that has taken over the west. I therefore think that you should choose one of the many restaurants that do not allow dogs or perhaps return to the restrictive, big brothers watching you west.

EXCUSE

ME ! A dogs feet on a dining table is no real threat ? After it has walked on sidewalks where dog feces are common ? Can we look forward to more posts from you of this caliber ? Hope not.

Probably why they give you plates in restaurants. You never know what goes on out the back in kitchens so a dog on a table would not worry me if i was next to that table. Get the waitress to wipe down the table and if the dog isnt on your table who cares!
I know this us far fetched, but what about some common sense? Dogs on the table is for me really unacceptable, I also would walk out a restaurant that allows dogs inside. For outside testaurants I wouldn't mind. My experience is that most dog owners share these unwritten guidelines. We are the proud owners of a very small Chihuahua ( got the idea from Paris Hilton) but even for such little critter,we follow the same principles...

A lot of these handbag dogs never walk on pavement. Their owners use the doggie poo pads that are like big incontinence pads to keep their feet clean. Or doggies diapers. Some of these single Thai ladies recoil at the thought of their precious walking outdoors. Why a soi dog might get to their beloved. These dogs get a daily bath and hair styling, too. These dogs are better groomed than many of the foreign customers dining in the restaurant.

Doesn't bother me as long as the dogs aren't taking food off my plate.

you cannot expect from other diners to know the dog on the next table had a bath in the morning. Lord o Lord
  • Like 1

A lot of these handbag dogs never walk on pavement. Their owners use the doggie poo pads that are like big incontinence pads to keep their feet clean. Or doggies diapers. Some of these single Thai ladies recoil at the thought of their precious walking outdoors. Why a soi dog might get to their beloved. These dogs get a daily bath and hair styling, too. These dogs are better groomed than many of the foreign customers dining in the restaurant.

Doesn't bother me as long as the dogs aren't taking food off my plate.

you cannot expect from other diners to know the dog on the next table had a bath in the morning. Lord o Lord

Take a look at the owner. If it's a well-groomed, sweet-smelling Thai lady, do you think she's going to want to cuddle a smelly dog all day?

I saw somebody stand their kid on the counter at Mcdonalds....saw a farang sitting on the counter at a restaurant at KSK the other day.

Do question where those kids shoes have been.

Once saw someone change their infant's diapers on a restaurant table in the U.S. Now that's something to start a thread about!

When you see rats,thats when its time to complain,

these people with the little dogs are all trying to be

Paris Hilton,with a role model like that what can you

expect.

regards Worgeordie

That doesn't mean have to accept it. Cats are a no no for me all so. In a way I feel sorry for these people who have to center their life around a pet.

I mean really a person has to have to have their dog or cat on the table in order to eat.sad.png

I don't give one hoot how much they love it or how safe they say it is. Would they like it if a snake lover brought his Boa Constrictor snake in and set it on the table?

Edited by northernjohn

I notice a few restaurants in CM have placed signs at the entrance to the restaurant stating that pets are not allowed in the restaurant. You may want to frequent one of these restaurants. I was a chef/restaurateur in my home country and wish no disrespect to dog or pet lovers out there, because I am one myself, but pets have no place inside the kitchen or dining area of any respectable restaurant (guide dogs that help the blind and visually impaired are the exception). In regard to other comments regarding food safety here in Thailand, it doesn't take someone with years of training and experience to see that it varies wildly.

Having had experience in the States with remodeling kitchens in high class restaurants. I can safely say Thailand does not have a paten on filthy kitchens. You want clean go to McDonalds.