Koh Phanang - Uncomfortable, Hassle

Answer : Anywhere that is not overrun with foreigners. You can have Krabi, Kp, and Koh Phi Phi.

NEVER give up your passport to anyone. If they will not take a copy walk away. Koh Phanang is a place i would totally avoid for numerous reasons. Krabi and Koh Phi Phi are no better. But if your into hanging with thousands of other often drunk foreigners go for it. Millions of others yearly do.

Hey don't knock Krabi, admittedly it's not as nice as 20yrs ago but where is? It's still a pretty cool place to be.

You still won't be able to rent a bike without leaving your passport though!

Don't you just hate it when the original poster bangs his gong then just clears off, leaving everyone chatting among themselves?

R

After one day or two, yes for sure, within 2/3 hours certainly notsmile.png

Yes, some of us have better things to do than sit at a computer all day, or night, as it appears a lot of TV members do.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

If most did their homework and had just a little bit of common sense the majority would not continue to get into the situations they do. Maybe just maybe take just a moment and read Thai Do's and Don,t's. Pissing off the locals will not gain any friends. Just a small reminder. Put the bong and or bottle down for a day if you can handle that and learn something besides pickling your already small brain.

Edited by Jungle Jim
  • Like 1

Riding in a back of a pickup is not so bad, thousands of happy people do it with no problem facepalm.gif

Had a friend get pulled over for no seat belt. But for the tourists or school kids in the back of a truck it’s OK. Life’s cheap.. coffee1.gif

Something in your attitude is really annoying. The place sounds just fine. Nice little island. Population of what- only about 12000? Scooter rental awkward-tch. You are in tourism but seem not very well traveled. Indeed, let's equate the island's services with Bangkok. :cheesy: Spoiled, whining and maybe a bit self important is how you sound.

BTW. That Nth world classification stuff is so outdated and so disputed I seriously doubt that you are know any more than you think it sounds impressive.

• Like 1

Guess better head back to your own party island. You are making comments without knowing anything about the island, Thai culture etc......

Perhaps take up reading forums & studying destinations before setting foot on a plane.

Perhaps you should also know that Uber is illegal in BKK & vehicles not licensed or insured to carry passengers.

What a load of crock. Just making excuses for the total lack of interest Thais show to their guests and bone idleness. There is no excuse for seizing your passport. A cash deposit is fine or use a pre-authorised credit card hold. It is simple yet Thais can't be bothered. It is not a matter that is a huge hassle or anything it is just an excuse for putting tourists at a huge disadvantage and allowing potential crime.

It is not a 3rd world country in any aspect except the Thai culture of stealing and deceit and lack of effort on any front except scamming.

• Like 1

I own hotel in Koh Samui, We used to rent our own bikes out. Got to be that guests, who were inexperienced riders, had accidents, and then they gave the hotel bad reviews from that. We stopped renting bikes, and now do not have that problem. We still rent small cars. I think with a large cash deposit, and some copies of your passport, and/ or drivers license, leaving the name of the hotel your staying at... many small shops will still rent you a bike here. Come to Samui for better transportation options, then KP.

• Like 2

Overall pretty innocuous post by the OP, some of the reactionaries here are quite amusing (cue inspector Clouseau accent) "not well travelled" etc., etc.

Been a long time since I needed to rent a bike, own my own motorcycle, but yes, back in the day, I would show my passport and give them matching copy, but no way am I giving my passport to Somchai scooter. Move on to the next rental if they insist on holding your passport. Illegal passport business thriving here.

Do go onto Krabi. Stay away from Phi phi Don village, what a dump, although no transportation woes there as you can walk around. Instead of Phi Phi, take the boat to koh Lanta or if adventurous consider islands off of Trang, Ko Muk, Ko Kradan can get to these places via Lanta also.

What a load of crock. Just making excuses for the total lack of interest Thais show to their guests and bone idleness. There is no excuse for seizing your passport.

Timewilltell, please describe the time when a Thai business 'seized' your passport. That would be a story worth hearing! Personally I have never handed over an original passport or driver's license to rent a vehicle here or anywhere else.

You are on a holiday island. You cannot expect to have a super-efficient cheap taxi service. BKK is a major city so comparison is pointless. There's nothing wrong with taxis on these islands. The taxi/trucks are much better than standard air-con saloon cars, especially with condition of some of the roads.

Companies will not insure motorbikes, it's up to you if you want to rent without it or not. Small operators cannot get credit card facilities so they are operating in the only way they can. Stay at a resort that rents bikes or has an arrangement with a local rental company. You can leave your passport or credit card details with the resort. You should have a licence as with anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

What a load of crock. Just making excuses for the total lack of interest Thais show to their guests and bone idleness. There is no excuse for seizing your passport.

Timewilltell, please describe the time when a Thai business 'seized' your passport. That would be a story worth hearing! Personally I have never handed over an original passport or driver's license to rent a vehicle here or anywhere else.

You may not have handed your passport over which is sensible but plenty of tourists do hand their passports over to motorbike and car rental firms in Thailand, usually the smaller companies or one man bands and plenty of crime in connection with passports thriving in Thailand as well.

Riding in a back of a pickup is not so bad, thousands of happy people do it with no problem facepalm.gif

Had a friend get pulled over for no seat belt. But for the tourists or school kids in the back of a truck it’s OK. Life’s cheap.. coffee1.gif

oh and buses have seat belts in western countries? I think not in most of them....coffee1.gif .... good try at Thai bashing....

oh and buses have seat belts in western countries? I think not in most of them....coffee1.gif .... good try at Thai bashing....

(Long distance) Buses in all EU countries need to have seat belts since 2006. (Not for local buses in and around cities)

NEVER give up your passport to anyone. If they will not take a copy walk away. Koh Phanang is a place i would totally avoid for numerous reasons. Krabi and Koh Phi Phi are no better. But if your into hanging with thousands of other often drunk foreigners go for it. Millions of others yearly do.

Hey don't knock Krabi, admittedly it's not as nice as 20yrs ago but where is? It's still a pretty cool place to be.

You still won't be able to rent a bike without leaving your passport though!

I rented a bike from a lady across the road from an Irish bar (which is up a lane) on the main road in Ao Nang and she was more than happy to take a photocopy. Admittedly, this is the only place in Thailand I've been able to do this.

• Like 1

ah that post got deleted from the forum here...

I had said before it did get deleted, that the vendor check all the ferry terminals, bikes do end up getting left and when farang does a runner... it's not that uncommon! wink.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The bike rental business is a minefield.

Let us look at your suggestion of the hotels renting bikes. The main issue is legal riders. To get proper insurance I believe that the renter must have a valid licence. Then they need a copy of credit card, licence and passport. (This is normal practice for renting in Europe/USA etc.) The next problem - how does the clerk in the resort know that the licence is legit? Guests from Russia, Greece. Israel, Japan, Korea, China etc - none with 'English' worded licences. All of this for a one day rent of 200 baht?

Now look at the problem from the owner's point of view. Young Turk turns up and is staying in a 500 baht a night lodge. Wants to rent a bike. Never ridden one before and rights it off it on his first ride. Does a runner from his accomdation and gets on the next ferry. Bike owner out of pocket by quite a few grand. Shouldn't the owner have some kind of security?

Personally I hand over my driving licence and 5,000 baht deposit - along with details of my hotel. I always get a bike eventually.

That all makes sense except for the last part. I would never hand over my license as it's needed if you get stopped by plod. A copy, okay. It's also illegal for a Brit to hand over their passport. It doesn't belong to the holder, it belongs to the British Government so it's actually against the law to hand over your passport. Most places accept a photocopy though. Insurance for a bike, never heard of that in Thailand!.

I pay in Chiang Mai extra 500 baht a month for mbike insurance. Had accident once (not my fault) and within 30 min they brought me another bike. No problem amd did not have to pay extra.

• Like 1

Guess better head back to your own party island. You are making comments without knowing anything about the island, Thai culture etc......

Perhaps take up reading forums & studying destinations before setting foot on a plane.

Perhaps you should also know that Uber is illegal in BKK & vehicles not licensed or insured to carry passengers.

wrong. uber is alive and well, the discount taxi competitive service has suspended, but the high end cars are doing quite well.

As for the OP, he should leave. Koh Phan Ngan is not for him.

wrong. uber is alive and well, the discount taxi competitive service has suspended, but the high end cars are doing quite well.

As for the OP, he should leave. Koh Phan Ngan is not for him.

Yes Uber is ripping off customers all over Bangkok. Google it and you will get the picture.

Looking forward to my upcoming trip to Koh Phangan though....no Uber there apart from the views from my luxury hotel! biggrin.png

• Like 1