Patong is dead.

hansgruber

I'm reminded of the main drag into town just on the corner of Soi Sansabai and Rat-U-thit where the potholes in that section of road have grown ever bigger and deeper during the last five or six years. The only addition which has been made there are those steel rails to block anyone trying to cross into Bangla at that point. The road itself is in a terrible state and when it rains, you risk getting drenched if a pickup happens to pass and drives though the miniature lakes which form there during a downpour.

Same goes for the corner of Soi C&N where a fish restaurant is located. Over the years I've seen that restaurant bring a bucket of cement and a trowel and fill in the potholes which have formed since nobody else seems to bother. The Soi alongside the rebuilt Tiger bar complex is the same and probably many others. Where is the municipality? Which department is responsible for the upkeep of the roads? Why don't these people do their damn jobs?

There are millions of tourists around the world all looking to go somewhere where they can get good service and where there is an efficient transport system to ferry them around from place to place. Thais just don't seem to be able to comprehend that in order to attract tourism especially those who come back every year, they have got to invest in infrastructure. TAT does its best with all their marketing campaigns but the reality just  doesn't match the situation on the ground when visitors arrive.

Ten years ago they could get away with it, but not now. With the advent of social networks like Facebook and sites like Twitter which can instantly relay bad experiences and be read by millions within seconds and it's a marketing disaster for the country.

Of course your average tuk-tuk driver can't read anything which isn't written in Thai and is probably oblivious of their reputation elsewhere in the world. So they carry on upping the price and as soon as some mug pays it that then becomes the standard rate until the next hike. They also clog up the roads and damage vehicles which dare to park in what they consider to be 'their parking spaces' and then they expect visitors to flock to them because they have a monopoly. The motorbike taxis aren't that much better and visitors can expect double or triple the rates thais are likely to pay.

Business being so bad this year is going to mean a big hike in hotel and taxi rates in 2017 I'm sure sad though that may be.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Xircal and echoes my sentiments in my post no: 1352...........as I said, stupidity, greed and corruption are the "drivers" of this place, not ensuring that tourists/guests have a memorable (in a positive way) experience.

Agree entirely regarding the state of Soi Sansabai and quite a lot of the other side (and even some of the more 'main') roads in Patong / Phuket.  Given it's supposed to be Thailand's premier holiday destination the standard of these streets and their total lack of upkeep is a disgrace.  You REALLY have to have your wits about you riding a bike or even walking on these streets (and given the largely non-existent pavements you don't really have a choice but to walk in the street) or you risk hitting a new pot-hole and, if walking, spraining or even breaking and ankle.  They're more like assault courses then upkept streets!

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, a private road owned by someone up there.

I remember a farang (Frenchman?) being stabbed to death for parking his bike there a few years ago. 

It's a public road. Somebody posted the same question to Phuket Gazette and received a response from Pol Maj Yuthave Nakanakorn, Crime Control Inspector, Kathu Police Station that it's a public road.

Copy/paste this string into Google and it'll be the 2nd link in the list: Soi Sansabai private road

I seem to remember that I'm not allowed to post direct links to Phuket Gazette articles.

I think the way it's done is to build the road yourself and eventually give it to the government.  You now have valuable plots to sell/lease as well as power, water, garbage, sewerage, etc...  Very smart.  

Now the parking fee for a thousand bikes every day on a "public" road is another story.  Where does the money go?  Follow the money.  I know this is foolish to even mention, but a "business" grossing 7 million baht per year needs to be registered for VAT.  ?

Edited by GiantFan

3 hours ago, Xircal said:

It's a public road. Somebody posted the same question to Phuket Gazette and received a response from Pol Maj Yuthave Nakanakorn, Crime Control Inspector, Kathu Police Station that it's a public road.

Copy/paste this string into Google and it'll be the 2nd link in the list: Soi Sansabai private road

I seem to remember that I'm not allowed to post direct links to Phuket Gazette articles.

That 2nd link is from the year 2000.

The 1st link says it is a private road and is dated 2012.

Soi Sabsabai is a private road which is why they can charge 20 Bt for motorbike parking.

It has always been a private road.

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

That 2nd link is from the year 2000.

The 1st link says it is a private road and is dated 2012.

Soi Sabsabai is a private road which is why they can charge 20 Bt for motorbike parking.

It has always been a private road.

It does indeed. But the Phuketwan article also seems to point to it becoming a public road again.

Who would buy a road though?

I've never seen an ad saying "Road for sale" before. Does everyone driving up and down it have to pay rent?

What about the land on either side? Does he own that as well? If not, does he have to pay rent to the person whose land his road sits on? That would be funny.

7 hours ago, Xircal said:

It does indeed. But the Phuketwan article also seems to point to it becoming a public road again.

Who would buy a road though?

I've never seen an ad saying "Road for sale" before. Does everyone driving up and down it have to pay rent?

What about the land on either side? Does he own that as well? If not, does he have to pay rent to the person whose land his road sits on? That would be funny.

Yes, the owner has either sold, or leased out the properties on either side of the road.

The usual practice once all the properties are up and running, is to "gift" the land to the government. This transfers the cost of lights and upkeep of the road to the government.

The owner has elected not to do this for whatever reason. Therefore, he can charge what he likes for motorbike parking.

Way before the road was called Soi Sansabai, it was called by Thais Soi Nam Kang and by foreigners, Soi Ice-factory. It was also a dead-end street and ended at that tiny cross-roads.. Whether the owners of the ice-house, which is still there (I think), are the owners of the road, I couldn't say, but, it's likely as they have been there since the 1980's.

As KB says above, Soi Sansabai used to be a small, dead-end soi that ended in a private parking lot just beyond the small intersection that leads back to the Baan Benjamas development (and some condos that were built later). This really wasn't that long ago - maybe 10-12 years or so. I don't recall exactly when the parking lot was eliminated, and the soi lengthened, but it was probably around the time that Sai Kor was laid out, as that's where it terminates now.

24 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The soi was there in the 80's and called soi ice-factory.

As to when the road was continued, I really can't remember.

I remember in 1996 Soi Sansabai dead ended but had a road to the right to a low rise bungalow style resort, think called Pimnara resort, before the road left to Ban Benjamas was started. 

I don't remember the ice factory. Was it on the left of right ?

Seem to recall it was around the new pizzeria hut /  old lek murphys.  Would drive by in the AM and see guys shoveling crushed ice into a large box truck.  Wondered where the ice came from as these buildings are your standard shop houses which didn't seem conducive to large scale ice production.

2 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Seem to recall it was around the new pizzeria hut /  old lek murphys.  Would drive by in the AM and see guys shoveling crushed ice into a large box truck.  Wondered where the ice came from as these buildings are your standard shop houses which didn't seem conducive to large scale ice production.

I don't remember see that place. Must be about where the dive shop, think training pool is/was. I have not been down Sansabai for many years.

On 08/09/2016 at 11:13 PM, GiantFan said:

I think the way it's done is to build the road yourself and eventually give it to the government.  You now have valuable plots to sell/lease as well as power, water, garbage, sewerage, etc...  Very smart.  

Now the parking fee for a thousand bikes every day on a "public" road is another story.  Where does the money go?  Follow the money.  I know this is foolish to even mention, but a "business" grossing 7 million baht per year needs to be registered for VAT.  ?

"Now the parking fee for a thousand bikes every day on a "public" road is another story." - all the while, 100 meters away, is a large vacant block of land sitting there doing nothing.

It would make sense to make this a parking lot, until it's developed, and keep Soi Sansabai clear.  They can still charge their "parking fee."

It's ridiculous to see bikes parked, five deep, along the Soi, which then causes vehicular and pedestrian traffic issues.

Went down to Expat Bar for the first time in about 10 years the other day.  Happy hour was pretty good.  Surprised to see that Valhalla hasn't been taken down.  Also, why was that Shark complex over the road never completed?  Money I guess.  The lower level bars look nearly done..

6 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Went down to Expat Bar for the first time in about 10 years the other day.  Happy hour was pretty good.  Surprised to see that Valhalla hasn't been taken down.  Also, why was that Shark complex over the road never completed?  Money I guess.  The lower level bars look nearly done..

Which shark complex? Are you talking about the double decker beer bar complex , which was supposed to have sharks underneath the glass floors, on the left as you walk from Rat-U-Thit to the Expat Hotel? If so I know the full story and its failure to be completed was due to a combination of over-ambition, lack of experience, money and bad planning.

Was out on Saturday night and experienced a busy Bangla Road, with the usual bars I mention still pretty full. The surprise bar though was Tao because both at 10 p.m. and 1.30 a.m. it was about half full, so appearing to do more business than it usually does with just the handful of farangs in it.

I think this was because it had opened up the front so the whole bar and the band were exposed to the road giving it a more "inviting" feeling, which obviously seems to have worked, well at least it did on that night.

Not only was Bangla Road itself busy, but Soi Freedom was a little busier than I have seen it of late and this was commented on by my bar owner friend.

Perhaps the surprise of the evening was that the bars at "resurrected Tiger" were damn near empty when I trundled off home at 1.30 a.m. in the morning.

On to Soi Nanai and perhaps things are happening to the Amigo bar and restaurant (formerly Nanai sports bar and now closed/for sale) because on Sunday afternoon there were a couple of tables on the front section and around those were seated two or three farangs and a Thai girl with calculator in hand, so perhaps yet another resurrection is on the cards. 

Whenever I see a Thai girl with a calculator in her hand, I often wonder if there is a farang sponsor in the background, not really knowing what is getting himself into!

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Which shark complex? Are you talking about the double decker beer bar complex , which was supposed to have sharks underneath the glass floors, on the left as you walk from Rat-U-Thit to the Expat Hotel? If so I know the full story and its failure to be completed was due to a combination of over-ambition, lack of experience, money and bad planning.

That's the one.

19 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Some major renovation work at the 2 shop houses the south end on Nanai, top of what I think is Nanai 8. Used to be the bar Route 66 and next door was a french bakery (years ago).

I hope the person paying has a real business plan else it will just be more money down the drain.

It's going to be a 7-Eleven! 

Unbelievable, as there's one just around the corner at Hasip Pii Rd - I really feel sorry for whoever has that franchise. 

My understanding is that CP All doesn't really care if the opening of a new store causes the franchise owner of a nearby location to lose a significant amount of business. As long as CP All stands to make a few extra baht in total, they'll put up a new one just about anywhere. 

24 minutes ago, DrDave said:

It's going to be a 7-Eleven! 

Unbelievable, as there's one just around the corner at Hasip Pii Rd - I really feel sorry for whoever has that franchise. 

My understanding is that CP All doesn't really care if the opening of a new store causes the franchise owner of a nearby location to lose a significant amount of business. As long as CP All stands to make a few extra baht in total, they'll put up a new one just about anywhere. 

Not only that, there is a "minimart" of some description just 30 metres away!!! One similar store just off and opposite Nanai 6 closed about 18 months ago, then another one opened up just metres away at the entrance to Nanai 6.....................??

Sounds like Thai business planning par excellence!

22 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Not only that, there is a "minimart" of some description just 30 metres away!!! One similar store just off and opposite Nanai 6 closed about 18 months ago, then another one opened up just metres away at the entrance to Nanai 6.....................??

Sounds like Thai business planning par excellence!

Think you are talking about a Family Mart that relocated as always flooded with Nanai River.

If that new development is really a 7-11 then it's a poor location for walk-by traffic. 

The Family Mart between Soi 8 and Hasip Pii (right at the bend of Nanai) has been there quite a while. They recently (within the past year, I think) shut down for a short period while they did a complete renovation.

The new project at the corner of Nanai and Soi 8 is most definitely a 7-Eleven. They've already mounted the sign outside, and it looks like the interior build out will probably be completed today. I don't think I've ever seen a build-out completed so quickly in Phuket!

56 minutes ago, DrDave said:

The Family Mart between Soi 8 and Hasip Pii (right at the bend of Nanai) has been there quite a while. They recently (within the past year, I think) shut down for a short period while they did a complete renovation.

The new project at the corner of Nanai and Soi 8 is most definitely a 7-Eleven. They've already mounted the sign outside, and it looks like the interior build out will probably be completed today. I don't think I've ever seen a build-out completed so quickly in Phuket!

Think the poster was talking about th Family Mart at the bottom of Baan Yin Dee or whatever Nanai number it has.

These new 7-11 are thrown up fast, all planned and prefabricated in advance, good crews know what the are doing and just build like lego. Stock comes in big truck and shelves filled in next to no time.