Thai student, 26, slain in US

Lite Beer

So sad that both these young lives were snuffed out like that. At 29 the guy didn't realise that within a few weeks the pain of losing her would become bearable and that within a year or so he would probably have found someone else he liked better, so why not let her go and find someone she could be happy with.

Have you seen how much attention a young Asian girl gets in the USA? Much harder for an Asian guy in the USA.

Very sad story.

Way to easy to obtain guns in the US.

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted> .
No, these things do happen but are very rare in countries where there are stricter gun laws.

I agree.

I don't care what the gun lobbyists say.... Countries with tighter gun laws have only a tiny fraction of murders per capita.

Murder rates tend to match the availability of guns quite consistently.

It is undeniable.

and this would be your methodology for doing a contrast/compare between Nations? A simple statistical analysis using Presence/absence does not prove that Correlation implies causation. There are lots of variables to take into consideration-

b

*Deleted post edited out*

Ahh, so you are going to blame it on being a Thai male/

Nope. Read the article again. Did you see this part?

worked as an engineer at the university's Computer Science Institute.

If you want to play the blame it on something game, I suggest a more plausible characteristic was the IT work.

It seems to be a common characteristic of the people whenever there is a violent crime with implications of a mental illness.

The computer industry attracts a lot of people who have poor people skills and an inability to handle the emotions when human interactions are involved.

I trust this satisfies your need to attach an attribute to a tragic event.

First thing, he was a Thai American male - not a Thai male, living and working in the USA and judging by his name, you'd think since birth? Secondly, can you substantiate or validate your claims that IT people are mental killers by large? Your defelection is ludicrous. In fact according to Forbes you're more likely to be a psychopath if you're a lawyer or policeman, the IT industry doesn't even get mentioned. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2013/01/05/the-top-10-jobs-that-attract-psychopaths/

I don't know what is worse. Some taking this tragic event to bash Thais or the sad loss of a promising young life.....

I thought this was the usual bashing of the American 2nd amendment. My culture is so much better than yours brigade.

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted>.

No, these things do happen but are very rare in countries where there are stricter gun laws.

I prefer to be "suicided" by a gun than a rusty knife

I agree.

I don't care what the gun lobbyists say.... Countries with tighter gun laws have only a tiny fraction of murders per capita.

It is undeniable.

You could not be further from the truth. I'm guessing you're a left wing Obama voter, right? Let me explain why

USA has very good statistics across the nation on homicide and gun crime as well as very different laws for firearm ownership between states. I lived for a number of years in Henderson in Nevada - which is one of the most gun friendly states in America. I could walk into a store purchase any firearm after a background check. Only handguns simply needed to be registered with the local police, but after that I was free to walk around the streets with it openly carried on my waist. In other counties in Nevada handguns did not need to be registered at all. Also with a training course I could legally carry the weapon concealed. This was a right, that is, it is not up to the discretion of the police on who gets to own and carry.

Most people I knew who lived there owned firearms. My friend even owned an AK47 semi automatic.

According to you Henderson would have a pretty high murder rate. But the reality is, for all cities with more than 200,000 people, Henderson had one of the lowest violent crime rates in the entire nation, with just 0.15 murders per 100,000 people (http://lawstreetmedia.com/crime-in-america-top-10-safest-cities-over-200000/)

What's more 5 other cities on the top 10 safest were in the gun friendly states of Texas and Arizona.

Why? Simple. Violence was not part of their town's culture. I never saw even a single pub fight or any robberies or anything during my time in Henderson. In other places with high gun crime - think LA, Chicago Detroit - not only are firearm restrictions high in those places, but they are rife with "Ghetto ganster" culture among males who glamorize guns and crime..

Unfortunately, the media makes a lot of money glamourizing the gangster culture so they will never admit that is the cause of many of society's problems. Apparently it's ok for young black males to beat up security and police officers, so they need to find something else to blame - guns

The reality is that gun crime is more a factor about the owner than it is about the availability of firearms. And that is the undeniable statistical evidence.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

Thairath said Chaihirankarn was a lecturer at Mahidol university and had gone on to study for a PhD in Computer Science at the Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Chaihirankarn (nickname Jip) and Springer both had family in Thailand but had met at the Carnegie Mellon university and dated for a year. Springer was Luk Kreung with an American father and both families knew each other before the shooting. Springer's father had been to Thailand 4 times.
Jip's father, former Assistant Director General for public relations and communications at the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives said he'd last spoken to his daughter on the 27th January and she hadn't mentioned anything out of the ordinary. He recalled there was one incident back in December of last year when Jip had returned to Thailand without Springer for her brother's wedding and had gone on to Khao Yai with some friends for a short break which meant she was out of contact with Springer for a while. This angered Springer but Springer's Thai mother smoothed things out between the two and Jip returned to the US on 05/01/15 where Springer was waiting at the airport for her with flowers. They went on from that to a skiing holiday together before the unfortunate shooting.
The shooting took place at Jip's apartment, Springer having his own apartment 20 minutes away.

• Like 2

The title is "U.S. Has More Guns – And Gun Deaths – Than Any Other Country..." Duh, and what exactly does this have to do with murder rates? Obviously, countries without access to guns use other means ergo the real reflection of murderous violence is murder rates per capita. US is 111th (said above). Guns don't create a violent people only provide easy access to an impersonal, can't come back from the edge of emotion, means...esp in hands of those without impulse control... Long term, the principle of 'murder is not a solution nor an option', reinforced from an early age is all that will work...but we are so very, very far from that now....

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted>.

Yeah, who needs guns.

In Darwin when the steal your money or sleep with someone else they get fed to the crocs.

Aussies don't get mad they just get even.

Right....Difficult to buy a gun and Thailand and we all know there are never any murders here. facepalm.gif

So, you think if he couldn't get a gun, he wouldn't have done it with another weapon?

OK, I'll give you a spaghetti noodle and I'll use a gun and we'll fight to the death...any idea who might win?

Well, my logically-challenged friend, suppose I wouldn't choose a spaghetti noodle. As I understand the article, there was no fight to the death, it was a murder-suicide. So, your statement is not only naive and uninformed, it is ridiculous.

So, you think if he couldn't get a gun, he wouldn't have done it with another weapon?

OK, I'll give you a spaghetti noodle and I'll use a gun and we'll fight to the death...any idea who might win?

Well, my logically-challenged friend, suppose I wouldn't choose a spaghetti noodle. As I understand the article, there was no fight to the death, it was a murder-suicide. So, your statement is not only naive and uninformed, it is ridiculous.

My statement is just as ridiculous as the statements from you gun nuts.

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted> .

I agree.

It is undeniable.

Two-thirds of U.S. gun deaths are accidents and suicides. Those are FBI statistics.

For those of you yammering about U.S.murder rates, the top ten murder capitals in the world are all in South and Central America. I've met many of those people as esl students in Houston. Believe me, they're so relieved to be there.

During the peak of NYC's crime wave, around 1990, there were about 2000 murders a year. Now there are about 275 according to FBI stats. That's reasonable for a city of 8 million with constant and fluid influx of immigrants.

By the way, another FBI stat for you: two-thirds of nationwide gun deaths are accidents and suicides.

Excuse me? Murders are very rare in Thailand? And in South and Central America??