Thai student, 26, slain in US

Lite Beer

Way to easy to obtain guns in the US.
I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted>.
No, these things do happen but are very rare in countries where there are stricter gun laws.

I agree.

I don't care what the gun lobbyists say.... Countries with tighter gun laws have only a tiny fraction of murders per capita.

Murder rates tend to match the availability of guns quite consistently.

It is undeniable.

Not according to this data, which lists the U.S. as 111th in the world in intentional homicide rates (per 100,000 people):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Your data supports Pepperme's statement. Fail rolleyes.gif The USA is 111th, but none of the countries higher on the list has strict gun laws and the countries that do are WAY down the list (mostly European)

All those of you that spout the BS about the too many guns and too easy to get guns in America need to remember 1 thing. The "right to bear arms" is a guaranteed right under the constitution. Case closed, you can continue to whinge about it all you want, it has been challenged and affirmed by the Supreme Court.

The same constitution that gives you the right the freedom of speech (to continue your whinging) gives all the rest of the people who choose the right to own guns.

These murders are tragic, but happen in all of the developed nations. With and without strict gun control. If the young man was so troubled then it wasn't the gun, he could have used many different means. RIP for both.

• Like 2

*Deleted post edited out*

Ahh, so you are going to blame it on being a Thai male/

Nope. Read the article again. Did you see this part?

worked as an engineer at the university's Computer Science Institute.

If you want to play the blame it on something game, I suggest a more plausible characteristic was the IT work.

It seems to be a common characteristic of the people whenever there is a violent crime with implications of a mental illness.

The computer industry attracts a lot of people who have poor people skills and an inability to handle the emotions when human interactions are involved.

I trust this satisfies your need to attach an attribute to a tragic event.

Worked in IT for most of my working life and I'm well aware of the stereotype you're trotting out, but not one of my co-workers killed their partner, and we're talking thousands of people over 30+ years. I also did 4 years service in the Australian Army and - despite a huge divorce rate - I'm not aware of a single serving soldier killing his partner. I dont attribute this to 'jealous Thai man syndrome', and I accept that the pressure of his working life may have contributed to his emotional condition, but I refuse to accept that working in IT makes anyone a prime candidate for a murder-suicide. Corporations and governments are far more concerned about unleashing another Edward Snowdon on the world when they hire people to sit in front of a screen all day than the possibility of hiring a potential murderer.

I agree completely, I've worked in IT for 30 years in 35 different countries. None of the IT people I know have killed their partner (except maybe in the on-line games:-).

The "IT excuse" seems a bit far fetched to me.

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted>.

No, these things do happen but are very rare in countries where there are stricter gun laws.

Guess you've never heard of the little country called Mexico, home to some of the strictest gun laws on the planet. Of course Mexico has no gun crime. None at all. So just block out the facts you don't like and continue with your antigun propoganda.

• Like 2

While I'm a firm believer in strict gun laws, this guy probably would have killed her anyways.

Statistics can't be thrown around to prove anything. Countries such as Chile, Bolivia, Mexico and South Africa are going to have homicide and violence issues

far beyond gun control.

There are too many factors; poverty, politics, racial/social tensions, etc that the stats can be misinterpreted one way or the other too easily.

She sounds like she was a promising young person with a great life ahead until cut short.

Chile has the lowest homicide rate in South America - reportedly down on the numbers quoted in this table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate_by_decade#2010s

if they really do have the rate down to 2 per 100,000 people nationally, it's a stunning achievement in a country which has seen its share of killing. Even at 3.7, they were still below Thailand and the US on the table. Whether that translates into a 'safe society' is a different question, but it's a long way off the other countries you've listed.

Nice to hear my idea is outdated and Chile has improved things dramatically.

My point was simply to point out statistics about gun laws and crime can be pretty much skewed any which way one wants.

Being American, this is one negative comment about the US I agree with 100%. I believe some states have waiting periods just for this kind of thing...hoping that a cooling off period will change someone's mind who has ideas to do something like this. It apparently only took him 2 days to get his gun if I read the article right.

*Deleted post edited out*

Ahh, so you are going to blame it on being a Thai male/

Nope. Read the article again. Did you see this part?

worked as an engineer at the university's Computer Science Institute.

If you want to play the blame it on something game, I suggest a more plausible characteristic was the IT work.

It seems to be a common characteristic of the people whenever there is a violent crime with implications of a mental illness.

The computer industry attracts a lot of people who have poor people skills and an inability to handle the emotions when human interactions are involved.

I trust this satisfies your need to attach an attribute to a tragic event.

Worked in IT for most of my working life and I'm well aware of the stereotype you're trotting out, but not one of my co-workers killed their partner, and we're talking thousands of people over 30+ years. I also did 4 years service in the Australian Army and - despite a huge divorce rate - I'm not aware of a single serving soldier killing his partner. I dont attribute this to 'jealous Thai man syndrome', and I accept that the pressure of his working life may have contributed to his emotional condition, but I refuse to accept that working in IT makes anyone a prime candidate for a murder-suicide. Corporations and governments are far more concerned about unleashing another Edward Snowdon on the world when they hire people to sit in front of a screen all day than the possibility of hiring a potential murderer.

I agree completely, I've worked in IT for 30 years in 35 different countries. None of the IT people I know have killed their partner (except maybe in the on-line games:-).

The "IT excuse" seems a bit far fetched to me.

I agree the "IT excuse" is implausible...however, when I worked in IT my boss committed a double murder suicide with his wife and left two daughters to deal with the aftermath. There was never a sign he would ever do anything like this...never. He was a quiet, competent and very likeable individual. Much more likeable than me.

I have never been a fan of guns however the founding fathers had the insight, hindsight and foresight to believe the right to bear arms was important enough to be place in the constitution.

I guess the debatable issue is whether or not self defense from hostility including tyrannical government remain as valid points.

Being American, this is one negative comment about the US I agree with 100%. I believe some states have waiting periods just for this kind of thing...hoping that a cooling off period will change someone's mind. It apparently only took him 2 days to get his gun if I read the article right.

It is so said to have lost a beautiful, young lady who was all set to go out and contribute so much to this world. What a wonderful mind she must have had to be getting a PHd at Carnegie Mellon.

I agree.

I don't care what the gun lobbyists say.... Countries with tighter gun laws have only a tiny fraction of murders per capita.

It is undeniable.

Not according to this data, which lists the U.S. as 111th in the world in intentional homicide rates (per 100,000 people):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Your data supports Pepperme's statement. Fail rolleyes.gif The USA is 111th, but none of the countries higher on the list has strict gun laws and the countries that do are WAY down the list (mostly European)

Really? You've researched the gun laws in 110 countries this morning?

Mexico has quite strict gun laws.....so there goes your theory down the toilet. Thanks for playing, though.

Mexico is also in the middle of a narco war so it's figures are somewhat skewed.

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted> .

I agree.

It is undeniable.

Except Thailand. It has one of the highest gun homicide rates

in the world, yet have very strict gun ownership laws. Do you

have an explaination for that ??

That's a rhetorical question, right?

The problem is not the gun, it is the lack of self discipline of the owner. If it was not a gun it would have been something else. If you are a "Nut Job" you will find something else, hammer, knife, rope what else you want to make illegal ??

unfortunately, freedom of gun ownership is more important than human lives. The concept of freedom has somewhat gone overboard until a point where even your own safety is disregarded. A similar case to the Charlie incident in France in which the cartoonist knew obviously the cartoon of Allah would draw strong response from Muslims yet chose to continue with it anyway, thus ended up with deaths.

The problem is not the gun, it is the lack of self discipline of the owner. If it was not a gun it would have been something else. If you are a "Nut Job" you will find something else, hammer, knife, rope what else you want to make illegal ??

The Economist (and others) say different.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2013/09/gun-control

Except Thailand. It has one of the highest gun homicide rates

in the world, yet have very strict gun ownership laws. Do you

have an explaination for that ??

Enforcement, or rather the serious lack thereof. Fortunately, there are signs that the RTP are taking things more seriously than in previous decades.

article-2282445-182D3726000005DC-478_634

Even when educated, these Thai men conserve all of their genetic attributes....whistling.gif

well....that's not in the least bit racist is it?

What American influences may have contributed?

Can you not look as people as individuals, <deleted> up as they may be, as people?

What kind of background checks do they perform in Thailand?

In Thailand they take your finger prints and check your criminal record. You need to show you have some money in the bank or assets like title deeds and have an occupation that generates steady income. You need to a Thai citizen, a permanent resident or at least a long term foreign resident and have a tabien baan for at least 6 months in the same place. The process of checking usually takes around 2 months but can take longer for handguns in .357 magnum, .40, .44 magnum, or .45 caliber which are subject to slightly more stringent checks.

The article didn't mention which of the 35 or so Pittsburgs in the US this tragic event took place but from the reference to the Pittsburg Post Gazette we can assume it was Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Guns laws are fairly liberal in Pennsylvania and any state resident can buy one, subject to an instant background check which would pick up things like criminal convictions involving violence etc that disqualify gun possession.

The main difference is that in Thailand you have to wait for your gun while the Interior Ministry or the local provincial authority checks your background manually, whereas in Pennsylvania and most other US states, you can walk out of the store with it after a computer background check done by the gun store. Having to wait for 2 months for your gun would probably put off most people from buying a gun to commit a crime of passion, as this one appears to have been, assuming they didn't already have a gun. The man problem with gun crime in Thailand is illegal guns, although crimes of passion are more likely to be committed with a legal gun that was already available.

Buying a gun with only 20 cartridges seems to indicate he wasn't planning to use the gun for long. Most people would buy at least a box of 50.

Edited by Dogmatix

So sad that both these young lives were snuffed out like that. At 29 the guy didn't realise that within a few weeks the pain of losing her would become bearable and that within a year or so he would probably have found someone else he liked better, so why not let her go and find someone she could be happy with.

What's wrong with these people...

How can they become so desperate over a girlfriend :-(

I can't help but notice that the cases of women killing their boyfriends because of jealousy are much more rare. Maybe if demand nad supply were inverted ?

What's wrong with these people...

How can they become so desperate over a girlfriend :-( : Loss of face - disgusting culture really

unfortunately, freedom of gun ownership is more important than human lives. The concept of freedom has somewhat gone overboard until a point where even your own safety is disregarded. A similar case to the Charlie incident in France in which the cartoonist knew obviously the cartoon of Allah would draw strong response from Muslims yet chose to continue with it anyway, thus ended up with deaths.

Aaah - this sounds like the similar logic to:

don't shout at a Thai man because you will deserve to be kicked to death by 20 of his friends

At least the US defends and promotes the right of an individual to do or say whatever he wants unless it conflicts with corporate interests National Security.

I'm sure this sick individual would have found another way to vent his jealous rage, had he been denied the purchase of the gun. A beautiful and smart woman snuffed out by an emotional, immature <deleted> .

I agree.

It is undeniable.

It's not undeniable, it's absolute rubbish, get some facts before you post http://youtu.be/pELwCqz2JfE