Mandatory SIM card registration in Thailand starts today

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny really..6 months window to register? if this registration is to control crime, just think, will any one use the same sim card after giving a threat or using the sim for any criminal activities for that long after?

If any government 20 years told the masses that they had to carry a tracking device with them 24/7 that also allowed the Gov. to listen into or decipher every message or call you made on the phone.....there would have been a global outcry.

That device is now called a Mobile Phone. Every 15 seconds the phone is telling the service provider where you are on planet earth to a few metres.

The digital signals you send and receive are stored for ever. All those squirly "ones" and Zeros" that make up the binary codes wriggling around the globe tracking you...

Terrorists don't need a phone to set off a bomb, a simple wireless device or radio link will do it. The old fashioned alarm clock still does the job.

George Orwell was right - big brother is watching and I do not think the world is a safer place because of it. No amount of tracking or cameras all over the globe, but still madness and death prevails.

The 01st of August is going to be a very busy day.....

I just called into the Telewiz shop. Gave her the phone and she said she needed my Passport or Thai driving license. Two minutes later, after a lot of computer entries and taking a picture of my phone display with her own phone, she declared I was now registered.

Chris

I saw something on Thai social media the other day that said you can check if your SIM is registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

I just tried the AiS number, response (in Thai only) that my phone is registered smile.png

Evidently the registration database from last time is still valid.

The message I received with AIS is as follows:

ได้รับมูลจดทะเบียนแสดงตนของคุณเรียบร้อยแล้ว

Which I understand means that my number is still registered (from the days when Thaksin introduced this measure to counter terrorist bombers)

Thanks Farma!----we need people like you!

As Farma said:----more info below.

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

These numbers are too busy:

@ this time there will be a 2 month moron stoppage.

Crazy but true.

This is perfectly normal in ****terships. No worries. Next step is you are required to have a mobile number to travel across internal borders...book into hotels etc.............Totalitarian control of communications and movement, thoughts, speech and actions...............what can go wrong?

If any government 20 years told the masses that they had to carry a tracking device with them 24/7 that also allowed the Gov. to listen into or decipher every message or call you made on the phone.....there would have been a global outcry.

That device is now called a Mobile Phone. Every 15 seconds the phone is telling the service provider where you are on planet earth to a few metres.

The digital signals you send and receive are stored for ever. All those squirly "ones" and Zeros" that make up the binary codes wriggling around the globe tracking you...

Terrorists don't need a phone to set off a bomb, a simple wireless device or radio link will do it. The old fashioned alarm clock still does the job.

George Orwell was right - big brother is watching and I do not think the world is a safer place because of it. No amount of tracking or cameras all over the globe, but still madness and death prevails.

The 01st of August is going to be a very busy day.....

Swedish companies are now chipping their employees to give them access to photo copiers, bathrooms at set times etc. A small chip under the skin on the arm. Refusal leads to dismissal. But when was the last time you heard of a swede or any scandanavian objecting to government controls. 50 % tax ...........what a dread place..............

This is perfectly normal in ****terships. No worries. Next step is you are required to have a mobile number to travel across internal borders...book into hotels etc.............Totalitarian control of communications and movement, thoughts, speech and actions...............what can go wrong?

I seem to recall a form PM did this a few years ago...registered sims that is.

Told my wife about this. It was the first that she had heard about it. Then she said when her phone stops working she will fix it then

She won't be the only one taking that view that's for sure.

Me, too. I'll wait and see. If I can't call out after july 31, then I'll decide.

Yours truly,

Uncle SMS

This topic was discussed among a few of us yesterday. The *141# note was translated by a Thai, she indicated the reply didn't strictly apply to registration.

She had seen a blog which suggested the correct number for AIS is *151# this actually returns your registration receipt number.

Edited by bdenner

I saw something on Thai social media the other day that said you can check if your SIM is registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

I just tried the AiS number, response (in Thai only) that my phone is registered smile.png

Evidently the registration database from last time is still valid.

Which I understand means that my number is still registered (from the days when Thaksin introduced this measure to counter terrorist bombers)

Ha! I also received ได้รับมูลจดทะเบียนแสดงตนของคุณเรียบร้อยแล้ว.

My wife's translation of that was that I DO have to go in and register my 11 year old sim card!

So who is correct? .. your translator or mine????

Malaysia has had SIMS linked with ID cards for locals and passports for foreigners for ages. The upside is when you lose your SIM or phone, you go to the shop with your ID, file the lost SIM report and get a new one. Here, you have to go to the police to file a lost SIM or phone before the phone company will help you.

No brainer but please don't let me detract from the conspiracy theorists.

However, you will still be able to receive calls.

If this plan is to stop unknown terrorists from using phones to remotely detonate IEDs, they have failed miserably. You can bet the terrorist have laid in a good supply of unregistered sim cards for future use. Can the authorities trace who dialed the number of the unregistered sim card that set off the bomb when the bomb probably destroyed the card?

On a side note, since I am outside of the Kingdom at present, will I be able to gain use of the sim phone number all my contacts use to connect to me if I return after the deadline for registering?

If this is a law to prevent terrorists using a mobile phone as a detinating device, then a stolen phone could be used. No, this is a law to eavesdrop on calls and to track down ppl posting anti government protests on the social media. Similar to the patriots act in the US. Big brother knows who you are.

Germany since 2004 and Switserland since 2010 (?) have made registration of prepaid SIMs a requirement by Law. Lots of other Eurpean Countries considering the same (or may already require). Just read a (Dutch) report from October 2014 with the police asking for such requirement as "mostly criminals would use such SIM's" and the MoJ having the issue under consideration.

BTW from the description of the Law it's not easy to determine whether it is aimed at terrorists, criminals or just to make police work easier.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B.F.

This is the trend in most countries so we've got to wear it , they ain't going to alter it only make it harder, I mean everywhere not only Thailand , it is under the disguise for terrorism, I call it control , all our families mobiles are registered , unfortunately they can hack into your number and use that , I have had first hand experience with DSI over that problem, that's why in a pending attack or under attack , they will turn off the mobile network.coffee1.gif

And they can track and make a profile of everyone who has the mobile phone in his pocket.

So they know from everyone where they stay, where they eat, what the write per email and with credit card they also know what they eat.

Ha! I also received ได้รับมูลจดทะเบียนแสดงตนของคุณเรียบร้อยแล้ว.

My wife's translation of that was that I DO have to go in and register my 11 year old sim card!

So who is correct? .. your translator or mine????

I got a second opinion, phone is successfully registered :)

If this is a law to prevent terrorists using a mobile phone as a detinating device, then a stolen phone could be used. No, this is a law to eavesdrop on calls and to track down ppl posting anti government protests on the social media. Similar to the patriots act in the US. Big brother knows who you are.

Germany since 2004 and Switserland since 2010 (?) have made registration of prepaid SIMs a requirement by Law. Lots of other Eurpean Countries considering the same (or may already require). Just read a (Dutch) report from October 2014 with the police asking for such requirement as "mostly criminals would use such SIM's" and the MoJ having the issue under consideration.

BTW from the description of the Law it's not easy to determine whether it is aimed at terrorists, criminals or just to make police work easier.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B.F.

Since we live on this planet called Earth with about 7 billion other human beings it would seem we have no choice.

Of course already the discussion on what is "essential liberty" can be an interesting one thumbsup.gif

PS I changed the font size of your reply, no need to shout.

Yes, that's the message I received.

NOTE Thai language permitted in this case.

My DTAC Happy response by the USSD code returns a more precise answer within seconds listing my years, months and days of service and passport ID number that I no longer use. So I guess they have me clearly ID'd.

It is not a conspiracy which suggests secrecy but a public policy-a snooper's charter disguised as a security policy. An enforced digital ID and it is a fact that company employees are being chipped in Sweden. This is all pointing to totalitarian control. It started with the requirement to own a credit card to hire cards and book into hotels etc