Most Thais believe US takes side in Thailand's politics

Lite Beer

And most Thais are correct. Clearly, this kind of self serving, destructive manipulation has reached its zenith. It cannot be hidden or obfuscated by deceptive rhetoric anymore. The question now is will it finally end or will it destroy us?

Closer relationships with brics and the continental neighbors only makes sense.

Nobody...the Thai military government or the Thai people understand that the US is taking sides --- the SIDE of the THAI people.

All the US wants to see is a Democratically elected government by the people and for the people. It is really that simple. Everything else said leads directly back to this. For instance, is keeping martial law in place for too long, not good...most likely yes, because it delays getting back to a Democratically elected government and the longer martial law lasts the easier it is to keep it in place. Everything Russel said was about seeing Democracy come back to Thailand and for the people to have a say in how they are governed.

Because the US knows better than Thai people do about what is best for them? Thanks for the post, Bwana.

Nobody...the Thai military government or the Thai people understand that the US is taking sides --- the SIDE of the THAI people.

All the US wants to see is a Democratically elected government by the people and for the people. It is really that simple. Everything else said leads directly back to this. For instance, is keeping martial law in place for too long, not good...most likely yes, because it delays getting back to a Democratically elected government and the longer martial law lasts the easier it is to keep it in place. Everything Russel said was about seeing Democracy come back to Thailand and for the people to have a say in how they are governed.

Because the US knows better than Thai people do about what is best for them? Thanks for the post, Bwana.

Of course, the Thai people know what's better for them. But, they don't get to vote for what they want.

• Like 1

It was okay for Gen. Prayuth to keep repeating for months that the USA understood the reason for the coup and the Junta's continued control of the nation. Now when the USA actually announces its position that does contradicts the Junta storyline, the USA becomes bias and disruptive.

Has Prayuth begun to believe in his own propoganda as the truth, regardless of the certainty that it is not the truth? If so his behavior reflects at best a bipolar psychosis and at worse something more irreversible. Very dangerous with someone who controls both the armed forces and the government.

• Like 1

The title of the article is wrong... the US is not taking sides it is the incoherent obama and his Administration are taking these actions... Thais should not worry about what the US thinks in terms of what the American people think... obama makes friends with the Muslim Brotherhood and is upset when the Egyptians throw them out. Then obama funds a bunch of radicals in Syria who are in actuality anti-American... obama has not a clue about foreign policy ... Thais should communicate with the American people on places like Facebook and find out what Americans really think...

The title of the article is wrong... the US is not taking sides it is the incoherent obama and his Administration are taking these actions... Thais should not worry about what the US thinks in terms of what the American people think... obama makes friends with the Muslim Brotherhood and is upset when the Egyptians throw them out. Then obama funds a bunch of radicals in Syria who are in actuality anti-American... obama has not a clue about foreign policy ... Thais should communicate with the American people on places like Facebook and find out what Americans really think...

No need for Facebook. The American people have strong feelings about freedom. Speech, elections, etc. Same feelings as the current administration has. You may not like Obama, and many don't, but he's far from clueless.

No need for Facebook. The American people have strong feelings about freedom. Speech, elections, etc. Same feelings as the current administration has. You may not like Obama, and many don't, but he's far from clueless.

Your opinion - everybody has one.... obama's foreign policy track record is a train wreck... Check the major news media around the world and see what they think about obama's foreign policy or lack thereof...

My post was to refer to the fact that the American people are not taking issue with Thailand or the Thai people in any respect and the Thai people should be aware of that fact.

The title of the Thread is about the U.S. taking sides in Thai politics which would imply the Thai people think the American government is interfering with the current Military Government since that is the current issue at hand...

Perhaps you read the title of the thread differently than me. I saw nothing that referred to Pre Junta politics

Edited by JDGRUEN

Goodness...it must be a slow news week...I can not believe how much negative energy is being expended in something this trivial...

Let's get back to news about foreigner's suicides...muggings, knifings, shootings, purse snatching, gold necklace grabbing, drugging, and excessively over charging for everything...

This is Thailand...

• Like 1

By the people for the people are you crazy? Get elected by the people by buying their votes and then reap the benefits for yourself. Create as many absurb projects as possible so that you can cream off a %. How did Mr big in Dubai get so rich so quickly? Hope the current government are able to reset things for the benefit of all Thai's, they deserve it.!

Of course the US is taking sides. They support democracy and Yingluck was the democratically elected PM, for better or worse. The US doesn't like coups. Nor do the pretty much the rest of the Western countries.

Although the US has backed many coups,and works behind the scenes to distablise countries ,

that do not follow their line of thinking.think C.I.A.

Diplomats are supposed to be neutral, and not express there views openly, what they say in private

is different

regards worgeordie

I agree that the U.S. has backed and/or instigated coups too often with results that came back to bite us on the butt. I will have to disagree with the idea that the EU and the U.S., etc, cannot voice their opinion about a military coup or encouragement of a return to democracy. I would denounce U.S. active interference but I cannot support the Chinese view that there can be no opinion about the South China Sea, Hong Kong, human rights, etc. and I respect that China, Thailand or others (lord knows there are too many to mention) have a right and, in fact, a moral duty, to question or denounce U.S. Policy they disagree with.... You understand, I mentioned China as the current position seems to be inline with Chinese government thinking.

• Like 2

Of course the USA is taking a side. The side of democracy and freedom of the press. It does not really matter how corrupt a government or how effective

as long as it is "democratically elected" and does not go against the foreign policy of the USA. tongue.png

Why the fixation with the USA?

The poll should have been taken in regard to the EU position which has been tougher than that of the USA's. The EU imposed sanctions, and has been very consistent in its position. The Americans can be criticized for continuing with the Cobra Gold exercise and for not imposing trade sanctions as it typically does when other countries have coups.

I just don't get it. The USA offers a relatively mild position that allows the Thais a lot of wiggle room, and the Thai administration goes ballistic. The Europeans have a tougher position and the same Thai administration is oblivious.

This administration certainly is a puzzle of emotions, and insecurities.

• Like 1

Some how I think that the Thai people A. don't give a hoot what the US dose, B. most of the Thai

people knows nothing much about the REAL politics other that what they being fed by main stream

media, and C. dose it really matter what the Thai people think when it comes to international politics?

• Like 1

Of course the US is taking sides. They support democracy and Yingluck was the democratically elected PM, for better or worse. The US doesn't like coups. Nor do the pretty much the rest of the Western countries.

Although the US has backed many coups,and works behind the scenes to distablise countries ,

that do not follow their line of thinking.think C.I.A.

Diplomats are supposed to be neutral, and not express there views openly, what they say in private

is different

regards worgeordie

And that is the reason he did NOT say it was the opinion of USA. What he said was that SOME COUNTRIES might think.......

Even though we all know what he meant, he did not actually say it.

Your opinion - everybody has one.... obama's foreign policy track record is a train wreck... Check the major news media around the world and see what they think about obama's foreign policy or lack thereof...

My post was to refer to the fact that the American people are not taking issue with Thailand or the Thai people in any respect and the Thai people should be aware of that fact.

The title of the Thread is about the U.S. taking sides in Thai politics which would imply the Thai people think the American government is interfering with the current Military Government since that is the current issue at hand...

Perhaps you read the title of the thread differently than me. I saw nothing that referred to Pre Junta politics

Agree with you that Obama's foreign policy is a mess. But, I doubt this is front page news in any city in America. Too much going on for this to make the headlines other than a quick spot here and there. I'm sure the same would be true for EU countries also. Lots going on internationally (and locally) and all news items are vying for a spot on the front page (or a mention anywhere).

The administration IS the face of the US internationally. Same is true with any government. Many times a majority of the people don't agree with their government's policies. Your country is no different. But what can you do? Only wait for the next elections and try to bring in a new government.

I read the short article and understand it. The US is NOT siding with a particular political party. What they've been saying is a democratically elected PM was removed from office inappropriately (pre-junta). Which is true. They are asking for martial law to be ended and elections to happen sooner rather than later. May the most popular party win. I think a majority of the population here wants elections sooner rather than later. But yes, that's just my guess.

wai2.gif