Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

And i quote again, "Minimalism isn't at all related to how little money you can spend" recom273.

You get the point yet?

Yeah, right. Its more of a ying and yang type of thing. wai.gif

Anyway, hats off to the minimalist guys who try to get a Beach Road girl for 300 baht all in. And hats off too to my Mr RazorBlade (see above) who I am reliably informed also gave up watching the Superbowl rather than cough up for some drinks in a bar. He's the one who missed out on regular season games because he refuses to pay for a True subscription. He's is not stretched financially on this count at all. So, that makes 3 of them who sat there looking at a single tablet. For what its worth, 2 Democrats and 1 Republican.

Edited by SheungWan

And i quote again, "Minimalism isn't at all related to how little money you can spend" recom273.

You get the point yet?

Yeah, right. Its more of a ying and yang type of thing. wai.gif

Anyway, hats off to the minimalist guys who try to get a Beach Road girl for 300 baht all in. And hats off too to my Mr RazorBlade (see above) who I am reliably informed also gave up watching the Superbowl rather than cough up for some drinks in a bar. He's the one who missed out on regular season games because he refuses to pay for a True subscription. He's is not stretched financially on this count at all. So, that makes 3 of them who sat there looking at a single tablet. For what its worth, 2 Democrats and 1 Republican.

I'm pretty sure the poster you quoted is saying something completely different, I understand that he says that the man with MOST toys does NOT wins.

I love stuff, but I am feeling more and more how all this is dragging me down, and happiness is not at all in how much we spend, what we own.

Minimalists are not the people outside, opposite of Mikes on Beach Rd, these people there are simply poor.

Minimalist approach to daily life is something very different, it is about priorities about how much stuff we need, what we spend and on what, in order to be happy. Very often you can observe that the guys with the most, are the nastiest, unhappiest guys here.

• Like 2

Yes, there is a very frugal chap who visits Starbucks, what a fantastic minimalist. He goes in with a plastic cup, visits the toilet, fills the cup with tap water and uses a tea bag from home. He says cold tea is more minimalist. He then sits in Starbucks and enjoys his tea, leafing through the free and discarded newspapers, his gnarled and filthy feet up on the table, occasionally lifting himself slightly to let out a loud burst of gas from his bloated and protruding gut. He scans the papers for vouchers or freebies that catch his beady little eyes, close together, magnified by thick plastic lenses that don't quite fit because its cheaper to pick up some frames from the market than visiting an opticians, the frames sitting high and clumsily on the bridge of his huge, pitted and bulbous nose. Wow, what an inspiring figure. And he watches other customers like a hawk, wearing his cheap nylon shirt and shorts and 50 baht slippers from the second hand market. His whole outfit cost less than 100 baht. Yes, to save on washing he wears them a month without changing, and so some people will notice the acrid smell of stale sweat, urine and drying excrement, but they are just superficial consumers, brainwashed by the norms of society, not enlightened minimalists. As soon as customers leave he is up like a shot and collects the uneaten crusts and whatnot and a cup. A cup. Why a cup? Because after a few hours of this the staff finally get tired and politely ask if he is going to order a drink, as the seats are for customers. But he points to his cup and aggressively screams back that he already did and that he knows his rights and he will write to the CEO about them. And so they leave him be, just discretely spraying the area around him with air freshener and disinfectant. What a man, what a minimalist.

That's quite a straw man paddy, have you ever tried your hand at politics? 5555

There was no reference to the old man being dirty, abusive or asking anyone for a handout. I tend to agree that many true minimalists begin their journey as a result of financial restrictions and not so much from a spiritual point of view, but that doesn't invalidate the philosophy. Did you ever read the story of Diogenes of Sinope?

The guy you are talking about likely has mental problems and an addiction or two. How he hasn't been picked by the police and packed off to IDC is beyond my understanding. My cynical side thinks there might not be enough money to shake out of his pockets before he gets put on the plane so it isn't worth the effort. Maybe you could strike up a conversation with him and find out the true story. For the price of a small coffee you might be regaled with an epic tale! We could crowd source the funding for the coffee if you're the frugal type.

• Like 1

As JulieM pointed out, rightly I think, minimalist is not necessarily cheap. Cheap food that does not provide the right nutrients and contains high levels of sodium, saturated fats etc. only makes you sick or obese. Now we have some examples of such people in Pattaya among the longterm expat community.

Minimalist might be understood as going to the market, compare prices, buy fresh produce and cook your own meals from scratch or maybe as close to it as you can do it. I cook myself and I know what is in my food which is good for my body and also my mind.

I also do not see how taking advantage of other people can be called minimalist. There are many more fitting descriptions for this kind of attitude. I personally encountered it more with affluent business people and the like. People with more limited means come often across as being more decent and reasonable. The expressions of contempt of less well-to-do people expressed here on the thread confirm this.

Minimalist can also be responsible. I do not need the daily hot shower and aircon as I am more adapted to the climate. By now, aircon has a negative impact on me if I am exposed to it for too long. Not using energy guzzling appliances is a good thing like using more efficient appliances. It protects our environment, we have no other to switch to, and global warming is an issue. I wont see the full impact but the kids I know might. In other words, minimalist in terms of energy is the opposite of being selfish and is very responsible. Maybe this is something the think about more often.

I also use the backpack at the supermarket. It insulates the purchases against the heat. I wont save one baht but I save the company (and environment) several plastic bags a week. Not even a drop in the ocean, I know, but the attitude is noted at the cashier and hopefully other people will get the point. It took decades in the west to end the plastic bag culture or at least reduce it.

The one thing which is a bit disappointing to me is that personal consumption is taking is taken as a measure for assessing a person. I know that this is very American where the first, maybe the second, question is about income. Sadly many cannot leave this attitude behind and focus on more substantive matters.

Edited by mike2011
  • Like 2

As JulieM pointed out, rightly I think, minimalist is not necessarily cheap. Cheap food that does not provide the right nutrients and contains high levels of sodium, saturated fats etc. only makes you sick or obese. Now we have some examples of such people in Pattaya among the longterm expat community.

Minimalist might be understood as going to the market, compare prices, buy fresh produce and cook your own meals from scratch or maybe as close to it as you can do it. I cook myself and I know what is in my food which is good for my body and also my mind.

I also do not see how taking advantage of other people can be called minimalist. There are many more fitting descriptions for this kind of attitude. I personally encountered it more with affluent business people and the like. People with more limited means come often across as being more decent and reasonable. The expressions of contempt of less well-to-do people expressed here on the thread confirm this.

Minimalist can also be responsible. I do not need the daily hot shower and aircon as I am more adapted to the climate. By now, aircon has a negative impact on me if I am exposed to it for too long. Not using energy guzzling appliances is a good thing like using more efficient appliances. It protects our environment, we have no other to switch to, and global warming is an issue. I wont see the full impact but the kids I know might. In other words, minimalist in terms of energy is the opposite of being selfish and is very responsible. Maybe this is something the think about more often.

I also use the backpack at the supermarket. It insulates the purchases against the heat. I wont save one baht but I save the company (and environment) several plastic bags a week. Not even a drop in the ocean, I know, but the attitude is noted at the cashier and hopefully other people will get the point. It took decades in the west to end the plastic bag culture or at least reduce it.

The one thing which is a bit disappointing to me is that personal consumption is taking is taken as a measure for assessing a person. I know that this is very American where the first, maybe the second, question is about income. Sadly many cannot leave this attitude behind and focus on more substantive matters.

Can you quote one single poster who has said they measure a person by his level of consumption?

Can you quote one single poster who has said they measure a person by his level of consumption?

Consumers, if not for us there would be no great economies and the entire world would be minimalist.

Consumers, if not for us there would be no great economies and the entire world would be minimalist.

Indeed !!! Wouldn't that be great :)

I find it very annoying that Paddy still expects people to engage with his views. He had nothing better to do than to construct (= fake) a story in order to participate. The fake simply reflects his stereotyping, worldview but nothing else. If it had been a somewhat exaggerated post based on a real person, we all would have accepted it.

He cannot expect to be taken seriously or as a person worthy a response. He is a troll and doing a disservice to this forum and discussion.

In a way he is a character worthy of certain scenes in Pattaya. I do not mix with those person in real life and refuse to do so here.

I apologize to the community for this negative post. I had held back my reaction but that impudent shamelessness was too much.

I trust that this is still ok with moderators as the troll was allowed to continue - so a reaction to the troll is well in place, me thinks.

As for my posting on the substance of the discussion here, I stand by it.

Edited by mike2011

Only been here for a short time, about three months, but I cannot wait until my life becomes so mundane and shallow that I will spend a lot of my time and energy posting puerile drivel on a. Non existent subject. Come on guys and girls, when did your life start to be dominated by anonymous postings on a blog site? Was it after 3 months, 6, 9 ? When did the dream go wrong?

Anyone who can't recognise the difference between a minimalist and a cheapskate is merely abusing the topic to feed his own need to boost his ego by saying that he can spend as much as he wants and it makes him happy. In reality he has no concept of true happiness

+1 this. Applies in the western world even more. I blame advertisers who have thoroughly brainwashed people into being good little consumers.

• Like 1

Only been here for a short time, about three months, but I cannot wait until my life becomes so mundane and shallow that I will spend a lot of my time and energy posting puerile drivel on a. Non existent subject. Come on guys and girls, when did your life start to be dominated by anonymous postings on a blog site? Was it after 3 months, 6, 9 ? When did the dream go wrong?

It gets worse - much worse.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/16626-bum-gun-appreciation-thread/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/594735-thai-bum-guns-in-oz-plumbing-compatability/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/586555-the-bum-gun/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/481066-funny-bum-gun-video/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/451066-installing-bum-gun-in-usa/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/619661-thai-bum-gun-or-european-bidet/

We're literally obsessed with shit. My advice is to get out while you still can. Failing that, embrace the madness and thank god it's them instead of you.

Finally, a word from my sponsor: http://schiit.com

Flipping 'Eck, Mr worldwide, I see what you mean . Think I will get out before the jaw slackens too much, however, I may well try another 4 months next winter and thank Buddha for my return ticket and a small life to return to.

May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman

You'll be bored here too after several years, trust me!

But you found us only on your 3rd month here! :)

75 and still saving ? For what ? Next life ?

Seem ridiculous to me, he already had 75 years to save...

Maybe for a rainy day.

You know lots of people reach old age and just don't manage to save as much as they really need. (Statistically the majority in the world, but in traditional societies people can usually rely on family in old age.)

It's not pretty but it's a fact of life.

It's not as if anyone is going to hire him now, is it, so he's doing the best he can.

Maybe you judge him as a failure ... that's your choice, but I think that's rude.

That said, it brings up another issue facing those who DO have much more wealth. As people get older, some people don't make the adjustment and realize they CAN and SHOULD spend more as they won't be living forever. But somehow I doubt this guy has that problem!

I read that in North America, the average person dies with 70% of their money left. That infers many have zero, and some have like 98% left..to illustrate your point

It gets worse - much worse.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/16626-bum-gun-appreciation-thread/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/594735-thai-bum-guns-in-oz-plumbing-compatability/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/586555-the-bum-gun/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/481066-funny-bum-gun-video/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/451066-installing-bum-gun-in-usa/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/619661-thai-bum-gun-or-european-bidet/

We're literally obsessed with shit. My advice is to get out while you still can. Failing that, embrace the madness and thank god it's them instead of you.

Finally, a word from my sponsor: http://schiit.com

There's a new show in Canada (CBC, Tuesdays at 9 pm west coast time) called Shitt$ Creek

It takes scatology to a whole new level..

Trust me, living in a tropical climate you do need a daily shower, so do your fellow man a favor and have one. You do not necessarily have to use hot water but puh-lease use soap.

Indeed !!! Wouldn't that be great smile.png

Not for us consumers

" Boredom .." ?

In the 4 years that i have been living in Thailand i have never been bored at all! and i live alone ( although it should be noted that i am " extremely romantic " ...) living on a ridiculously low income ( 5,500 baht per month ) does not make you bored in fact i am out and about most days doing more things than most people! If you get bored then it's down to " YOU " !! The trick is to have lots of hobbies like myself ( photography,long walks in the sun,sunbathing,swimming,talking absolute rubbish,cool tunes,cooking,train adventures ) in fact i have not watched T.V in almost 25 years!

You need " motivation " and for some a good " kick up the jacksie " to get outside and enjoy the day ( i also would be bored if i came to live in Thailand and sit indoors all day watching television and internet surfing ).

Anyway i must dash viewers as " i have a train to catch " ..........

God Bless you all!

Your lovable Thai Visa friend......wub.png ( joop joop )

Trust me, living in a tropical climate you do need a daily shower, so do your fellow man a favor and have one. You do not necessarily have to use hot water but puh-lease use soap.

Not just one, i think 3 are good a number. Depending on your level of activity more and use the right soap. Now read the highlighted part again and you will see that it refers to a 'hot' shower. I do not use hot showers anymore, just too warm plus it is not good for your skin (aging) - ask the ladies. Better be handsum.

I have to smile at all the superior vapourings against the evil monster consumerism and the elevation of some bogus 'minimalism' to a supposedly higher moral plane. All just a cover for their hard, flinty lives of course. When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2

I have to smile at all the superior vapourings against the evil monster consumerism and the elevation of some bogus 'minimalism' to a supposedly higher moral plane. All just a cover for their hard, flinty lives of course. When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!

I had thought of asking one of these self labeled minimalists to think through the consequences of a world without consumers. In particular, can they see the connection between less consumption, less business activity and then both lower tax takes and thus cuts to the welfare they depend on, or to fewer low paid jobs that would also be a possible direct impact. But then, i thought, whats the point.

I had thought of asking one of these self labeled minimalists to think through the consequences of a world without consumers. In particular, can they see the connection between less consumption, less business activity and then both lower tax takes and thus cuts to the welfare they depend on, or to fewer low paid jobs that would also be a possible direct impact. But then, i thought, whats the point.

For once, I agree. Look at post #240

I'm still waiting (hoping) some people come to grips with the fact that this life isn't a rehearsal, when it's over that's it!. Ok, if someone has to live on a ridiculously tight budget and has no options of rectifying being in that financial position, that's fair enough. But I get the impression there's people doing so that have access to good-living money as some sort of a twisted experiment?. There's people in this thread living on way less than what many of us spend on just groceries or electricity per month!. No thanks.

• Like 1