4th "under Consideration", How Many More?

What is the average wait time when waiting to get the approval back for the one year extension of my o visa? This new one is month number 4, and we've already had the immigration people come to the house last month with the map we drew them, i thought this time would be the charm.

As well, my reserve bank account is getting down to the last few baht and i didn't want to touch the account that has the 400K in it but it looks like i might have to now. Will that affect the process if i have to eat a bit into that account

What is the average wait time when waiting to get the approval back for the one year extension of my o visa? This new one is month number 4, and we've already had the immigration people come to the house last month with the map we drew them, i thought this time would be the charm.

As well, my reserve bank account is getting down to the last few baht and i didn't want to touch the account that has the 400K in it but it looks like i might have to now. Will that affect the process if i have to eat a bit into that account

What do you mean by "month number 4" by the way ?

I heard the average waiting time is between 1 to 2 months but for my case, I got it on the spot. I think it is case by case.

It is better not to touch the 400k, if you did, you might not get the approval. It happened to a few of my friends already.

I went for my 5th year last month and the first year took a couple of months, the next 3 about 6 weeks and when I went last month it was down to a month.

When you go next time, if they sat another month extension ask if you can see someone higher to clarify the reason as 4 months seems waaay too long.

If the immigration people only came last month you should be OK.

Also I think that you should be able to draw on the 400K baht as it is supposed to last you the yearand you have had 4 months already.

After the first one it gets easier.

Hope it works for you.

i had a friend in pattaya go through the same thing earlier this year. he also thought they were just checking up that his marriage was genuine. he drew all the 400K out of his a/c and eventually had the extension refused for not having the required funds. he is still on 30 day runs. if you cant avoid it i'd probably just draw 4 months worth of money out if you really need it.

I guess it depends on where you applied and how keen the police are to visit you. Nong Khai:- My first visa extn. was available on the 2nd visit. The police came out 2 weeks after my application, we were not at home so they had a word with the Pooya Baan (village administrator) and came back a week later. (They were very pleasent and also helped me by reducing the clutter in my beer fridge). My 2nd application was also available on the 2nd visit, I believe they are being processed in Khon Kaen now.

I agree, DON'T TOUCH THE FUNDS UNTIL YOU HAVE THE VISA. Not one baht, or you may have to get another letter from the bank.

Edited by bdenner

Where are you located? I get mine in Samui and usually its about 3 months, and I've been getting mine since 1992 so it doesn't seem to matter how long you've been getting them.

The problem lies in the fact that, if you are doing it outside of Bangkok, they have to send all the paperwork up there for processing. So, I suspect they get overloaded and you get sent to the backburner.

Brings up a few interesting questions: will banks (the ones that want non-em visa) accept those "under consideration" stamps as a valid visa period? Will the drivers license department? Will others(phone lines/internet/electricity company or whatever)?

If not the use of the visa is reduced dramatically (not to mention the "visarun" to emmigration every month).

Cheers!

Brings up a few interesting questions: will banks (the ones that want non-em visa) accept those "under consideration" stamps as a valid visa period? Will the drivers license department? Will others(phone lines/internet/electricity company or whatever)?

If not the use of the visa is reduced dramatically (not to mention the "visarun" to emmigration every month).

Cheers!

I saw many of you said that the police actually visited your house. For my case, I applied twice but the police did not visit my house, not even once.

Is this a new rule ?

I will be applying for my extension again next year, it certainly helps me a lot if I can clarify this matter.

Anyone can shed some light here ?

Thanks

No it is not a new rule. The support Thai wife extension of stay requires the police to certify that you are living together as husband and wife. How serious they are in the investigation depends on where/who does the check. Normally it would be a check with neighbors rather than a home visit and the first visit photos themselves may serve the function for some. Believe a home visit is more common in remote areas where the local police are involved and have never seen any report that it was intimidating in any way.

I heard the average waiting time is between 1 to 2 months but for my case, I got it on the spot. I think it is case by case.

Desmond, you got it on the spot?! you mean the same day you applied? Where was that, BKK or somewhere else? Was it the first time you applied?

matcube

I did my first ext. in Pattaya, at the new immi. in jomtien. It took 6 weeks, and I was explained that if had went to soi suan plu it would have taken only 4 weeks. The reason it took longer in Jomtien was because they had to send th papers to BKK. I also had allmost the dobbeled required income, and i think that that had something to do with it

PS!

I'm not on a retirement visa

Morty