What exactly is the difference in culture between North and South Thailand?

tuonsai

I've heard it mentioned numerous times that Chiang Mai and Bangkok have different cultures, or that Southern and Northern Thais have different cultures. I know about the political differences but is there really a cultural difference? I know Bangkok has a faster pace of life and people are less laid back, etc, but this is true for any major city compared to smaller cities. Could someone try to explain what the difference is? Thanks

You get more brains and thought in BKK whereas out in the country the mentality is often beyond belief..............I quote my Wife

On the other hand...those born in Bangkok are for the most part, more impoverished than in Isaan...as they live in stenchy, crowded streets with little sanitation. Breathe unhealthy air, are subject to random police searches, unbearable traffic and the lot that goes with it.

I would pick the Isaan or Lanna culture , as it is a healthier lifestyle. And much smarter.

It is subjective..isn't it? Some people like the open air and others like slumming.

On the other hand...those born in Bangkok are for the most part, more impoverished than in Isaan...as they live in stenchy, crowded streets with little sanitation.

As someone who lives in Bkk in a gated community, those born in Bkk tend to live in gated communities or in the suburbs.

The ones you refer to above, tend for the most part to be from Issan and come to Bkk for work.

Those dirty stenchy crowded sois tend to be empty at New Year and Song Kran when the impoverished masses head home.

Try driving on Highway #2 at those two times of year, its almost impossible to get out of Bkk due to traffic congestion.

• Like 1

Northerners (don't know about northeast) tend to be more polite, reserved and cleaner, whereas southerns are more aggressive and speak their mind (whatever is on it).

After many years in the Deep South, I'd put it a little differently. I find southerners to be more honest and straightforward. If you're acting like an idiot they'll just tell you, while northerners are likely to smile at you and think to themselves 'What an idiot'.

Southerners are definitely harder to get to know -- there's a kind of old-fashioned reserve there -- but once they accept you as a friend, in my experience, they'll really stand by you.

Northerners (don't know about northeast) tend to be more polite, reserved and cleaner, whereas southerns are more aggressive and speak their mind (whatever is on it).

After many years in the Deep South, I'd put it a little differently. I find southerners to be more honest and straightforward. If you're acting like an idiot they'll just tell you, while northerners are likely to smile at you and think to themselves 'What an idiot'.

Southerners are definitely harder to get to know -- there's a kind of old-fashioned reserve there -- but once they accept you as a friend, in my experience, they'll really stand by you.

Please do not stand to close to me just in case you light up.

Some time ago I read about that on the Internet, talking about Brazil...and looks like can apply for every country.

More casual and relaxed people tends to live by the ocean if its can, and with hot weather. Musicians and young actors like that.

More intellectual and artistic people prefer the mountains, and with cold weather. Writers and artist like that.

That makes the cultural and people environment between beach towns and mountains towns very different....and big business cities by the ocean an interesting mixture of cultures. Makes sense to me.

OP -- you really need to think of it in more than just North and South... It my opinion it would be North West, North, North East, Central Plains and Bkk, South and Mid South and Far South. These are where the ethnic groups are including the Central Thai.

Others will have different ideas as to the break down but Two as you have it ... is way to simplified.

• Like 1

hahahaha, colours are wrong on the map. The north eat pretty weird food, frogs, insects, small animals lizards etc, wife refuse to go up to visit her father as she cannot stand the food they eat but I guess its just what your raised with

Edited by seajae

You get more brains and thought in BKK whereas out in the country the mentality is often beyond belief..............I quote my Wife

That's nonsense.

Start learning about the country you are living in and the people you are living among and stop listening to your wife.

It is in every country that the intelligence, universities, management positions are concentrated in the big cities and mostly in the capitol. Thailand is no difference. Alone because small villages haven't 5 universities.

hahahaha, colours are wrong on the map. The north eat pretty weird food, frogs, insects, small animals lizards etc, wife refuse to go up to visit her father as she cannot stand the food they eat but I guess its just what your raised with

well in the south they eat anything that can swim in the sea.....

• Like 1

Really? I lived up north for more than a few years and most of the people I met ate fairly decent food. Pork, chicken fish. Udon and Nong Khai are way up North...so is Chiang Mai. Lots of good food. Never saw a lizard on the grill. Saw bugs on carts in the South, and in Bangkok.

As far as the frogs go...Even the French love those green legged beauties.

Never saw a lizard on a grill....ever. But I am sure there are folks who catch them and chem them up.

I think the food menus are definitely different - you won't find sai ua ( northern Thai sausage ) on many menus of Bangkok restaurants. There's also a lot more racial diversity with tribes such as Karens, Akha, Lisu, Hmong etc. etc. more concentrated in the north.

I don't know if the same prevails in Bangkok; however, time is totally irrelevant to Thais in Chiang Mai or Issan. Presumably that's where the expression " Thai time " came from.

Personally, I prefer the north of Thailand because it's cooler and more laid back than the south - probably cheaper overall as well.