How bad are those 7-Eleven meals?

Hal65

There is no evidence that MSG has a direct correlation to these symptoms.

It's one of the most abundant naturally occurring amino acids

MSG is found naturally in tomatoes, Parmesan, potatoes, mushrooms, and other vegetables and fruits.

The quantities man. Think about the QUANTITIES when used as a supplement. A tomato doesn't have a teaspoon of the stuff in it. Oxygen occurs naturally too...but too much will kill you.

Like I said, "There is no evidence that MSG has a direct correlation to these symptoms."

And quantities? If you make a pot of spaghetti with tomatoes, parmesan, and mushrooms, you are eating a bunch of MSG.

Very few people have any adverse reactions to MSG, just like very few are gluten intolerant, yet we have many people spewing the "horrors" of these substances.

MSG isn't some chemical, it's derived from kelp.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sodium, like greed and promiscuity are NOT bad unless ......... unless you are a woman! I personally prefer their hamburgers and hot dogs and when the staff isn't looking, load up all the fresh veggie toppings I can fit in the wrapper.

There have been quite a few studies on sodium and cardiovascular health:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_and_cardiovascular_disease

"Most of these studies, with a few exceptions, show statistical significance that groups with sodium reduced diets show lower incidences of cardiovascular disease in all demographics."

I remember before it was veggies available at selfservice @ 7/11 & Family Mart ( lettuce, cumcumber, onions & tomatoes ) to put it into your hot dogs or hamburger, so now I can't see any of them everywhere.. ?! I'm blind or what

gone the way of the dodo as far as i can see too. mayonnaise is in short supply too.

Edited by rabid old goat

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't eat the sandwiches or burgers, but the Penang/Krappow Moo and the other rice dishes are fine for a quick convenient meal.

mai mee ka. mee gapao gai ka. dee maak ka. gup nam plaa ka. aroi.

Khapprooni

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't eat the sandwiches or burgers, but the Penang/Krappow Moo and the other rice dishes are fine for a quick convenient meal.

Khapprooni

warning! warning! does not compute, does not compute, cannot accept "Khapprooni" without a picture. re-input.

Edited by rabid old goat

Khapprooni

warning! warning! does not compute, does not compute, cannot accept "Khapprooni" without a picture. re-input.

went to a well stocked high velocity 7 and examined the plastic. yes they do in fact have various combos that contain both moo and gapao in red, black, and white plastic trays.

however there is no need to look past the white plastic tray with gapao gai IMHOwai.gif khaaw thoht ka

Edited by rabid old goat

Khapprooni

well, you kappity Khap and then you never wanna stop! just me having a little fun with the ridiculousness of Khap/Kha...and also the ridculousnouss/irrelevance of the second statement...even though its actually a good one.....

you see I always thought maybe using chap/kha was passive aggressive ...supposed to be being polite but really adding that air severe passive aggressiveness....but able to twist it around and make it work in their benefit, really quite genius actually....

Edited by Smurkster

I remember before it was veggies available at selfservice @ 7/11 & Family Mart ( lettuce, cumcumber, onions & tomatoes ) to put it into your hot dogs or hamburger, so now I can't see any of them everywhere.. ?! I'm blind or what

gone the way of the dodo as far as i can see too. mayonnaise is in short supply too.

spied one salad layout in family mart today. perhaps they are just gone from 7.

havent tried famiy mart burgers but did try a ham and cheese croissant sandwich. didnt hit the spot. never realised how hard it can be to made a toasted ham&cheese sandwich. both 7 and family mart are failing now. <shake head side to side in disbelief>

Edited by rabid old goat

spied one salad layout in family mart today. perhaps they are just gone from 7.

havent tried famiy mart burgers but did try a ham and cheese croissant sandwich. didnt hit the spot. never realised how hard it can be to made a toasted ham&cheese sandwich. both 7 and family mart are failing now. <shake head side to side in disbelief>

7eleven in Thailand use a disgusting smelling sort of margarine in its toasts/croissants and pies. Ive picked them up again and again, being fooled by the appetizing look of the products. The pies I wont touch ever again though.

The western style 7eleven burgers taste like crap. I eat their rice burgers though.

Edited by BKKBobby

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a few weeks old, but the rice/noodle meals have 1000-1500mg sodium each. An adult RDA is about 2400mg per day, above which you're going to start encouraging heart disease. Although I doubt street/restaurant Thai food is much better, unfortunately.

Khapprooni

Cheese and ham toastie, sound after a few beers!!

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a few weeks old, but the rice/noodle meals have 1000-1500mg sodium each. An adult RDA is about 2400mg per day, above which you're going to start encouraging heart disease. Although I doubt street/restaurant Thai food is much better, unfortunately.

Not only what you say, but the RDA was artificially bumped up by many countries' health departments simply because they realized it was too much to ask.

Realistically RDA should be about 1500 a day.

• 1 month later...

7-11 is a great place to buy water !

Water-only!

. I Love the 7/11 brand Mountain Spring Water, has Silica in it like Fiji Water, supposedly the Silica removes metals out of your body, Aluminum, etc

7-11 is a great place to buy water !

Water-only!

. I Love the 7/11 brand Mountain Spring Water, has Silica in it like Fiji Water, supposedly the Silica removes metals out of your body, Aluminum, etc

I also do not want to eat street food anymore.

I do not know if 711 poison us with something else but at least 711 food is not shiiite oily food cooked in hundred times reused oil that only ridiculous monkeys can use to cook.

711 fresh food is delivered daily and only has few days shelves life, so I guess it couldn't be very bad ?

People who avoid 711 food and prefer to eat street food really know nothing, but do not worry, I was a stupid among you before also, until I start using my brain to understand how stupid I have been to eat street food for so long.

• 1 year later...

Old thread, I found it googling for 7/11 meal ingredient translations.

As for the fear of sodium, that can go the way of fear of gluten, fear of MSG, and fear of butter.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160521071410.htm

Saying all of the above, I'm one of the unfortunates who does react badly to too much MSG, I react badly, but nowhere near as badly as I react to todays 'darling' health ingredient, coconut oil.

Some of the issues caused by MSG..

• Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness

Some call it the "silent killer" : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

There is absolutely NO scientific evidence to back any of that up. It's a myth.

Nobody's saying they (the meals at 7-11) are culinary masterpieces, and of course they have some awful ingredients in them (though no worse than the crap the average farang who eats McDonald's or KFC is ingesting), but when you're stumbling back to your hotel room alone at 4 am drunk, haha, sometimes they hit the spot! I always go for either the phat krapaow muu, or the ham and cheese croissant sandwiches.

I useta like the hot dogs when they had the fresh condiments, toms and cukes and mustard but no longer now that they're gone...

someone mentioned the white bread sarnies with the crusts cut off? when in town and I go down to the 7 near my hotel on soi 6 to get vodka, mixers and ice I always pick up a handful to keep in the minibar fridge...good to have when it's late and there's no room service...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the fried rice and chicken when they have it , and a few other rice and chicken meals ,

Never thought of having a burger , thats what McDonalds is for :)

And I guess you can get Mama noodles too for the pure Thai food !

Once, I tried the McDonalds Samurai Burger and after one bite, I stopped eating. Stick with the classics, I guess.
Quite like the Saurai burger. Used to buy the set meal back in 1996

Made a change from the school teachers lunches.

• 5 months later...
On 2/3/2015 at 5:16 AM, Swampypoom said:

During the monsoon season, the nearest food option is a 7eleven which has delicious rice and noodle dishes (along with other provisions one might need) which are inexpensive and a safe bet.

Even the local food stalls were closed at times so not many options during the heavy rainy season.

Dishes that are safer in my opinion than what we can eat in the street or at any restaurant.

On 2/3/2015 at 7:57 AM, NickJ said:

I have turned to some of it as well....The pepper chicken burger....not bad. The toasted sandwichs, ham and cheese pressed in the machine arent that bad.....the ready made thai meals must be loaded with sodium. Norhing like a slurpee on a hot day once a month or so.....

Do you think that restaurants dishes are not OVERloaded with sodium, sugar, and all the poisons that they use here ?

I think Ezy dishes at 7/11 have less and are more healthy.