How bad are those 7-Eleven meals?

Hal65

There are a good amount of soups and rice-based meals at the 7-Eleven's. Sometimes I have them, but I can never tell how bad they are since I can't read Thai. Also they like to list the nutrient breakdowns in percentages for some reason.

Am I correct to assume these things have tons of sodium in them? Anything else of note to be concerned about?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... other preservatives, MSG and sugar -- mainly. I admit to indulging with those 'meals', albeit rarely nowadays. Also, regards the bread at 7-11, when it can last like two weeks on the shelf without going off, you have to ask yourself why is that. Large ratio of Thais occupy hospital wards with stomach issues. Thais don't necessarily have stronger stomachs regards eating chillis and strange things, they have simply built up tolerance. The human digestive system was just not meant to break down such crap and most of our ills are food-induced.

most of our ills are food-induced.

i go even further 85- 95% of the ills i suffer from are cause by thai food. but it isnt food from 7-11 that is the culprit. the opposite is the case. when i get hit by just another food borne ill i switch to purely 7-11 food till i recover enough to be able to cope with the next thai food induced illness.

Edited by rabid old goat

a few years ago i was stuck somewhere and the only food option was a 7/11, i wanted something hot so tried one of their burgers. one bite and i almost threw up. it really was not like food. threw it away.

dont know how anyone can eat that processed stuff when so many other food options are almost always available.

During the monsoon season, the nearest food option is a 7eleven which has delicious rice and noodle dishes (along with other provisions one might need) which are inexpensive and a safe bet.

Even the local food stalls were closed at times so not many options during the heavy rainy season.

How bad are those 7-Eleven meals?

They make Tesco Lotus and Big C fast food outlets look like a Gourmet meal!

Really not bad at all to be honest. Personally, I wouldn't order a burger, for example, as we are in Thailand so I don't expect a burger to taste better than a rice or noodle dish.

But do stick with the rice and noodle dishes as these are tasty overall.

Yeah I have no taste complaints either, but viewed in those meals on occasion I find them quite good taste wise. The real question is about their health value, or lack thereof.

I figure as long as I smoke my cigarettes (and in many flavors, too!) I really shouldn't take health value into consideration as long as I maintain a nice weight and can comfortably fit into an Economy Class seat. Haha!

I have turned to some of it as well....The pepper chicken burger....not bad. The toasted sandwichs, ham and cheese pressed in the machine arent that bad.....the ready made thai meals must be loaded with sodium. Norhing like a slurpee on a hot day once a month or so.....

I have the fried rice and chicken when they have it , and a few other rice and chicken meals ,

Never thought of having a burger , thats what McDonalds is for :)

And I guess you can get Mama noodles too for the pure Thai food !

Once, I tried the McDonalds Samurai Burger and after one bite, I stopped eating. Stick with the classics, I guess.

Same as buying fast food at a gas station back home... Its nothing to rave about, but enough to get you through, till your next meal...

Unlike street food where you need to plan ahead, just in case you get the runs...

what makes those trashy meals even worse, is to get them heated in the plastic foil

so you get some more petrol based chemicals in your body

don't come complain you get MALE BOOBS

part reason of so many ladyboys in this country ? as this messes up your estrogen levels

I think compared to a fried egg with half a pint of cooking oil from a food vendor, some of the 7-11 stuff is probably way healthier. I like the spag bol. or the fried rice & prawns. I agree the toasted sandwiches are good and all very handy. Probably the healthiest is the pair of boiled eggs with soy sauce. Can't argue with that.

Some of the issues caused by MSG..

• Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness

Some call it the "silent killer" : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

Love the toasted sarnies especially on a long road trip. But regular consumption of their processed offerings? Forget it. There is ultimately only one way way to go with food consumption; buy your own fresh ingredients and take the trouble to prepare at home. This is especially important for growing children. The propensity of people in Thailand to forever be eating from cheap meals on the street of whatever source is in my opinion not conducive to the best health. My nearest and dearests are great cooks and have inspired me to do better myself since I have more time now. A word to the wise.

It seems like there are two discussion, short term and long term health. Short term, the meals are fine. I agree you are more likely to get food poisoning from vendor grub.

Long term however, these ready made dishes are not a benefit to health.

High in sodium, msg and sugars and basically void of fiber.

Good food will promote health and well being over time. Bad food will degrade health and we being over time.

Processed food is not as healthy as fresh food.

a few years ago i was stuck somewhere and the only food option was a 7/11, i wanted something hot so tried one of their burgers. one bite and i almost threw up. it really was not like food. threw it away.

dont know how anyone can eat that processed stuff when so many other food options are almost always available.

You answered your own question - 7/11 was the only option. I like the Penang pork once in awhile.

I see the locals eating 7-11 food like it's delicious. I eat the instant soups sometimes. Like any packaged food, the 7-11 stuff will just get you full. Any poor food will affect you if you eat too much of it. I eat McDonald's but only once every two or three weeks in small amounts. If you are getting cardio exercise occasionally and drink enough water I think the effect on your system shouldn't be too bad.

About local food, I've been sick a time or two but nothing Metronizadol and Ciproflaxacin for 5 days couldn't fix. Once I started frequenting the same local street vendor who served everything hot and fresh I quit getting sick. Just insist on fried rice so you don't get some room temperature white rice that has been sitting there all day with the occasional fly loitering on it.

Good luck!

When on tour (3390km last month) we have naughtily been quoffing a burger with japanese sauce, a ham n cheese toastie n 2 coffees for breakfast when theres no other food about. It is what is is, fast processed food but it tastes great and costs 87bt.

If any of you gormet only diners ACTUALLY visited the fields where your 5 star food is grown and SAW the chemicles being poured onto what you eat you would eat from a 7/11 too. Up here in the north they refuse to buy mass grown food as its 'got cheme too much'.

Some of the issues caused by MSG..

• Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
Some call it the "silent killer" : http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

These are 'issues' because they are anti-empirical nonsense. Stop posting drivel.