28 million tourists expected to visit Thailand in 2015

webfact

How many 747's would it take to move 28 million tourists?

Around 80,000.

so that's almost 10 every hour 365 days a year, with that amount you would think they could do without trying to rip them off from the time they land! Funny thing is there is not all that much here to see, well apart from the music of course that is worth the journey on it's own, world class.

Edited by dragonfly94

Not to worry , hotels will up their prices , people will not visit the bars , bars close down , people skint , more crime , less tourists .

and round and round we go.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1

That's a new one - I think!. Latin American tourists are now seen as the big spenders. Where did they suddenly come from?.

By the way, I've asked this before. If you are Chinese why do you come to Thailand to celebrate the Chinese New Year?. There must be an answer but I can't figure it out.

• Like 1

Better stop closing down all those brothels then.

Brothels are in many Western countries including the United States. Not specific to Thailand

Your joke at you thailand is full of hooks ever were you go in thailand you run into brothers and hooks .

"Brothers and hooks"? Sounds like a veiled reference to the Shins to me!

Euro and Ruble in freefall.

7 highly publicised deaths in Koh Tao.

The daily bad press regarding taxi's, jet ski's, police shakedowns, martial law and general Thai attitudes towards tourists.....

But we are still going to see 28million tourists this year???

I think not!!

The cheap charlie chans won't prop up the lost business in the popular tourist hangouts.

Thats for sure.

Well I don't know where you are but up here in Chiang Mai the 'Cheap Charlie Chans' are certainly taking up the slack

There are hordes of young Chinese tourists travelling individually.. I was in Pai last week where there are a LOT of young Chinese tourists renting motorbikes

and staying in midmarket accomodation eating in local restarants and buying souveniers

More flights direct from Chinese cities are filling up the hotels here also.. it is big business as I saw when I was in a money exchange office the other week

a Thai guy came in and exchanged 1500 X 100 Yuan notes for Thai Baht. They are in the department stores splashing out on clothing etc before they fly back

a good proportion have stacks of cash..

Talking to some last week they think Thailand is great and cheap (apart from the beer) they will be telling their mates and posting on social network sites

More Chinese signs, menus, notices everywhere.. Chinese registered vehicles on the roads

The locals are signing up for Mandarin language courses ..

No need for Ruskies and Euros anymore

They have to come out with high figures so they keep their jobs. It is the same old rubbish they come out with every time there is upheaval in this country.

Me , and I suspect a few million others do not really care how many tourists are coming here.

By stating this I would like to know , (1) where do they get the figures from. (2) Do they think anybody really believes this. (3) What do they hope to achieve by reporting this.

Well, where they get this figure from is easy - TAT polls the world about their holiday plans......

In reality ...even at its cheapest the Chinese would probably be contributing more $$$ than the cheap backpackers of the west with their one beer in the hand, loud belching and drunk lout behaviors

The tour group Chinese contribute jobs to to the factory hands in all these en mass factory stops, photos souvenir dishes , bus drivers and guides , language schools churning out Chinese guides and of course shopping $$$

One downside is the more traffic accidents as they continue to stop bikes in the middle of the road reading maps etc etc but we are rather used to that from the Thais anyway being dangerous drivers

In my books that beats the 30 baht beer bottle backpacker who behaves like an idiot in khao San

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Better stop closing down all those brothels then.

Brothels are in many Western countries including the United States. Not specific to Thailand

Yes I agree, however I would say that more Tourists come here for the openness and easy access to Brothels than elsewhere. In fact TAT have announced 978 Million Tourists will be visiting Thai Brothels in 2016, generating a new 60 inch TV for every family in Isaarn

whistling.gif

28 million tourists expected to visit Thailand in 2015

And the government is thinking,

​" That is still way too many.

We have had a coup, we are harassing tourists, we have high profile murders of tourists, we are cracking down on the sex industry, and increased admission for foreigners in national parks.

What else can we possibly do to convince these stupid foreigners not to come to Thailand??"clap2.gif

Edited by willyumiii

The daily bad press regarding taxi's, jet ski's, police shakedowns, martial law and general Thai attitudes towards tourists.....

I think not!!

The cheap charlie chans won't prop up the lost business in the popular tourist hangouts.

Thats for sure.

Well I don't know where you are but up here in Chiang Mai the 'Cheap Charlie Chans' are certainly taking up the slack

There are hordes of young Chinese tourists travelling individually.. I was in Pai last week where there are a LOT of young Chinese tourists renting motorbikes

and staying in midmarket accomodation eating in local restarants and buying souveniers

More flights direct from Chinese cities are filling up the hotels here also.. it is big business as I saw when I was in a money exchange office the other week

a Thai guy came in and exchanged 1500 X 100 Yuan notes for Thai Baht. They are in the department stores splashing out on clothing etc before they fly back

Talking to some last week they think Thailand is great and cheap (apart from the beer) they will be telling their mates and posting on social network sites

More Chinese signs, menus, notices everywhere.. Chinese registered vehicles on the roads

" they will be telling their mates and posting on social network sites"

No, they will not.

The Chinese people I work with have told me thereat no "social network sites" like Face book permitted in China.

I think not!!

Thats for sure.

Yeah, right, because their money just isn't good enough or wanted.

Why cater for a multitude of nationalities when one country alone will support the whole of the tourist industry?

Just Chinese please, because that's such a good business model......

Jesus.

Edited by Bluespunk

• 4 weeks later...

I think not!!

Thats for sure.

The daily bad press?

Yes we read it every day here, but is it in the daily media in Australia, Beijing or London?

Yingluck's impeachment got a postage stamp sized item on page 4 of my home town newspaper.

• 1 month later...

International Tourist Arrivals Will Top 1.7 Billion Per Year by 2025

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/international-tourist-arrivals-will-top-17-billion-per-year-by-2025/ar-AA9Y3bZ

Skift Take: International visitors are definitely attractive for the cash they're willing to drop on travel but destinations' domestic markets often have much more spending power and shouldn't be slighted.

— Dan Peltier

The World Travel & Tourism Council projects the world will welcome nearly 1.8 billion international visitor arrivals per year by 2025, a 58% increase from the 1.1 billion international arrivals who crossed borders in 2014.

These international tourists will certainly contribute to a travel industry experiencing faster growth than the wider global economy but the money tourists spend in their own countries continues dwarfing that of international tourists traveling abroad. This reality has long defined visitor spending in destinations and the status quo won’t see significant changes in the near future, the World Travel & Tourism Council projects.

The organization released forecasts this week which point to domestic travel spending growing slightly faster than foreign visitor spending in 2015, 3.7% vs. 2.8% and accounting for $3.7 trillion and $1.4 trillion, respectively, of the world’s total GDP.

The global dollar amount for annual domestic tourist spending will still be more than double what foreign visitor spending claims by 2025 even with the number of international travelers soaring. Look no further than the U.S. to verify this: The country will receive nearly 129 million international arrivals a year by 2025 (71% increase from 2014) although its percentage of foreign visitor spending currently runs lower than the global average (20%).

Domestic U.S. travelers will spend more than $1 trillion a year by 2025 and trounce the $279.4 billion international visitors will spend in the U.S. This means destinations should realize the spending power of their local markets.

For the first time the organization also projects China’s travel industry will represent a larger percentage of its overall GDP than the U.S. travel industry will contribute to U.S. total GDP. A decade from now the U.S. would still dominate international visitor arrivals but China will be close behind — a difference of only six million visitors and its domestic market will be even more robust, said David Scowsill, president and CEO of the World Travel & Tourism Council.

“The difference between the two countries really comes down to the advanced planning the Chinese government puts in place,” said Scowsill. “They’re currently building nine new airports so that all Chinese citizens will live within a 90 minute drive of the nearest airport. States’ investments in travel and tourism are larger overall in Asia than in Europe.”