Lampang offers 5,000 baht for clues leading to arrest of persons responsible for fires

webfact

Lampang offers 5,000 baht for clues leading to arrest of persons responsible for fires

LAMPANG, 3 February 2015 (NNT) – After experiencing a bout of thick haze, Lampang province is offering a 5,000-baht reward to anyone who informs the authorities of persons responsible for burning activities that add to the haze problem.

Northern Thailand experiences the haze problem annually at the end of the cold season and beginning of summer. Part of the problem comes from forest fires that are prevalent during the period, and part comes from the burning of fields to clear out plant stubs and make space for the new planting cycle – the latter frequently gets out of control and trigger forest fires.

The air particulate matter reading taken by the weather office in the province recently was found to have reached 127 micrograms per cubic meter, whereas the reading taken by the Provincial Waterworks Authority's air quality measuring station reached 123 micrograms per cubic meter. The acceptable standard set by the state is 120 micrograms per cubic meter of air. The rise of air particulate matter beyond the acceptable level prompted the province to offer a reward of 5,000 baht to each of those who offer clues leading to the arrest of persons responsible for burning activities that contribute to the haze.

The air particulate matter reading has since returned to normal, but the Department of Pollution Control is still asking relevant agencies to urgently implement measures to curb burning activities in open areas. Said activities include roadside fires, burning in forest areas, and burning of trash and plant stub.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-03 footer_n.gif

Why only Lampang?

Can they extend it to Khon Kaen and especially my neighbour that never stops lighting fires?

I'm happy to give my name and they can keep the 5000Baht for their tea money.

Fed up with the smoke all year round, cant breathe, can't put the washing out as it smells of smoke.

Great! So I just need to ring the police if I spot anyone burning stuff/grass etc? Or is there a special number to call? I hate the burning smell and air pollution! Is not like haze for short period of time, but for whole day or weeks! :(