Lifan Cross and X-Cross

floridaguy

Isn't it just a case of getting used to the pattern, I have a Wave with all down gears and get straight on my NV and have have no problems? I rode my mates Lifan years ago and it took a few minutes to get used to this odd pattern, seems a lot of trouble to go to when the brain can work it out fairly quickly.

I think if I owned one it would be second nature within a few days, just like figuring out where the other controls are, horn, lights, ignition and starter.

From my experience you obviously will get used to it. But there is always that time when you are pushing the bike a little hard, you're in the zone, working from instinct, and you grab a lower gear when you really needed a higher one. Then your revs hit the stratosphere, and you look like a chump just learning to ride. It happens less and les the more you ride it though, and it is also possible that I am more absent minded than most.

i did that a bunch of times because i was swapping between a Fresh and a X1, same basic engine different shift pattern, nearly threw myself over the

bars once when out of position and changing gears,

btw i never look down on anyone because of their bike choice, was replying to the jibe about being in a rut for not buying chinese, and am happy for you that you've got good service out of yours.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

papa back.
... bought a Lifan 200 Cross-dresser [LF200GY-5] this AM.
The showroom on Sukumvit in Pattaya had two in stock.
The green one [X-plore] was the moturd-like set up with 17“ wheels and street tires, the 'international' [1-down, 4-up shift pattern and the aluminum [ugly] exhaust can.
[THB48,450, book, plate, tax, ins. included]
The black [Cross] was the dirt version with 21’ front & 18” rear knobbies with the 5-down shift pattern, nice black steel exhaust can & a rear rack.
[THB47,450, all in]
Although I prefer the international shift pattern, I bought the black bike.
[for the preferred can, black plastic, & rack]
The tires look extremely cheap. [Duro brand]
I’ll ride them for a while and see how it goes.
Later I’ll most likely have a set of 17” wheels laced up with stainless spokes, aluminum rims, & Michelins.
But for now the big wheels will be good for jumping curbs and such.
I put a neodymium magnet on the drain plug, rode it 50km and took it back for an oil change.
Removed stickers.
papa will buy some lock-tite & proceed with break-in.

papa back.
... bought a Lifan 200 Cross-dresser [LF200GY-5] this AM.
The showroom on Sukumvit in Pattaya had two in stock.
The green one [X-plore] was the moturd-like set up with 17“ wheels and street tires, the 'international' [1-down, 4-up shift pattern and the aluminum [ugly] exhaust can.
[THB48,450, book, plate, tax, ins. included]
The black [Cross] was the dirt version with 21’ front & 18” rear knobbies with the 5-down shift pattern, nice black steel exhaust can & a rear rack.
[THB47,450, all in]
Although I prefer the international shift pattern, I bought the black bike.
[for the preferred can, black plastic, & rack]
The tires look extremely cheap. [Duro brand]
I’ll ride them for a while and see how it goes.
Later I’ll most likely have a set of 17” wheels laced up with stainless spokes, aluminum rims, & Michelins.
But for now the big wheels will be good for jumping curbs and such.
I put a neodymium magnet on the drain plug, rode it 50km and took it back for an oil change.
Removed stickers.
papa will buy some lock-tite & proceed with break-in.

Well well, there you go. Good on speed bumps too.....

Post some pictures SVP

Thats the good thing with such small and cheap bikes, you can buy loads of them (if you are rich same same Papa) laugh.png

Have fun - and show some pics from time to time please.

EDIT:

lock-tite - papa you are a real professional arent you? Good idea to tighten everything first and have a good look at all things like brakes, forks, steering. After all its a chinese bike made in Thailand...

Edited by wantan

On the assumption that my new Lifan was actually manufactured 2-3 years ago,

papa decided to change fluid and bleed the hydraulic brakes.
To access the rear reservoir I needed to remove 2 screws and the plastic guard.
Placard on reservoir cap: DOT 4 only.
My bottle was DOT 3... wassadif,idunno.
Before heading out on foot to check the nearby shops, I took to opportunity to apply some red Honda Wing stickers I had, to the black tank.
Checked 4-5 shops, everybody had DOT 3.
Hungry.
Riding to brunch pulled over by the man on Rd.2.
He saw the Honda sticker, red plate, 75km on the odo and asked “--new bike?’ as I handed him my license.
Yes sir.
—"How much?"
47,500 baht.
--funny look—"Here write that down.
I wrote it down.
“You sure?
Yes.
---funny look--“Go on.
Found some DOT 4 and bled the brakes.
The old fluid was funky.
Scrubbed the disks with solvent and brakes are working better.
I need to talk to my mech to see if better pads are available.
[Dead battery in camera excuse, so photos mannana.]
Riding tall inna saddle, & loud; papa feel manly.

Follow up on the crossdresser.

359km ridden,
including an hour or so on Moto-X course.
Papa really likes this bike.
I ordered a $100, 250cc bore kit from China.
To provide a context, I compare Lifan Cross to my cbr150carb
Honda; Thai made. China name; Thai made.
CBR150carb [current fi model=82K] Lifan200 Cross /*250cc kit
Decent, used, ~35.ooo + fix-up New 47,5oo /*52,ooo
16HP 16HP /*20HP
17” tubeless tires, (mags) 18 & 21”, knobby tires, (laced) tube
[X-plore 17 & 17” motard is 49.5K baht]
THB3ooo/pr. 5ooo/pr., dual-sport or knobs
Cruise: econ./fast; 110/130kph 200cc, slower /*250cc, faster
6-speed tranny 5-speed
bar width =65cm. 83cm. (10cm trim-able)
Marginal front suspension Much better
Pavement/unpaved: 95/5 50/50
Lower, + aerodynamic Higher, + visibility
I need 5cm bar risers (15oo) Okay
118kg 120kg
Efficient liquid cooled Simple air cooled
Oil change @4Kkm. @2Kkm.
Difficult access to carb & plug EZ access everything
Cheap, very available parts Cheap, ‘can order’ parts
Rear rack add 65o Incl.
Tach/ fuel gauge None/ none, reserve valve & trip-odo
With 80/20 dual-sport tires the Cross would make a good city [w/ shortened bars] or travel bike.
Mount the knobs & get dirty.
So…
THB57,000 buys a new 250cc Cross with a set of dual-sport [Michelin] and a set knobby tires.
THB54,000 buys a new 250cc Xplore motard,
or a very nice Wave.
Edited by papa al

I think Richard must be correct.

My bad.

I had the manager of Jeloenyot Motorcycles,

likely the biggest seller of OEM bike parts in Pattaya,

call Lifan and they said they could sell him an engine,

but not the parts to convert the shift pattern.

Shurup , good drawing , and this reverses all changes , EG "normal" is = N , down=1 , up=N , up again=2 , up again=3 , 4,5,6 (down=1, up = N ,2,3,4,5,6). Your mod changes this to a "race" patern = N , up=1 , down=N , down again =2 , down again=3 , ,4,5,6 (up=1 ,down = N 2,3,4,5,6). The (X) Cross however has N , down=1 , down again=2 , again=3,4,5. All the gears are one "one side" of N , if that makes sense. If you could reverse the pattern then you would end up with N , up=1 , up again=2 , again=3,4,5. On the Lifan (X) cross you dont go "through" N . A while ago - sorry , cant remember thread - Richard BKK mentioned a gearbox modification that gave the cross a propper ( you have to go through N ) change pattern. By this i assumed it to be the down=1 , up=N ,2,3,4,5 , as it consisted of a gear selector cam and lever that required the selector plate (behind the gear lever) removing in order to change the parts . A 30 minute job . Dont know if this "kit" is available but i think it would benefit many that are used to a propper change pattern. In other countries this Lifan 163 FML engine/gearbox combination has a propper change patern - go figure !.

Okay I've looked into changing the 'daft-' to an international-shift configuration..

It requires a new gear selector drum for sure, and maybe else.

Seeking info:

1: Lifan HQ BKK, no returns on email.

2. My mechanic, his shop is likely the biggest seller of OEM parts in Patts, called HQ BKK; They don't/won't sell the requisite parts, only a new engine.

3. Lifan dealer in Naklua: same.

4. I wrote nice e-mail to Lifan HQ in China explaining my predicament... we'll see.

Edited by papa al

Love the Honda sticker, Hilarious.

About the loud can. does yours pop a lot on engine braking?

The sticker does provoke a few furrowed brows.

A Chinese court ruled that Lifan must stop using the name 'Hongda' on their bikes.

5 5

I'm getting more noise on acceleration than on compression braking, but only 400km ridden so far.

500 oil change today.

It was black.

Nothing has failed yet.

Very digging' da bike.

Met a Russian who showed me a photo of a 200Cross with top box, hard panniers and windscreen (from PCX125),

that he had ridden 26,000 km mostly in Cambo & Laos.

2-up with his wife.

A bit weak on the steep uphills, he reports.

Minor problems only.

Sold it.

Said he would soon have an African twin.?

Maybe his wife is from Keyna and very pregnant,

papa dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone please tell me if these engines are OHV (ie based on the Honda CG 125 design) or SOHC (based on the Honda XL 185 -200 design)?

I believe the OHV motor has a counter balancer and the SOHC does not. Somebody just rip the top tappet/rocker cover off and have a peek inside for me please. Ta.

thaiguzzi , the 200 "Cross" is OHV , as you say , but what about the engine in the 200 "Explore" ? . At the Lifan "dealer" in CM , the owners wife indicated the Explore had a more powerfull engine ( possibly an OHC ). Its difficult to get accurate information on these bikes , or their power outputs. The engines do indeed look different , and a 2 valve OHC will give slightly more power , but higher up the rev range . I ended up buying a 1,300 KM old Platinum PX 250 to use as a town runaround , and after hiring a Lifan 200 Cross earlier i can say the Platinum has far better susspension. I think the Lifan Explore , with an additional set of off-road wheels / tires is the best option - IMO. Plenty of choice out there now .thumbsup.gif . EDIT sorry , the "Explore" is spelt X-plore . !!!

Edited by ktm jeff

ktmjeff,

next time i'm in the Lifan shop,i will have a look at the engines, up until now, i was under the impression they all used the same 163FML-2 engine. Could be wrong.

Me being a Luddite, i personally prefer a pushrod motor for robustness and ease of maintanence. What is a PX 250?, What are they sold under and have you got a pic? Thanx.

ktmjeff,

next time i'm in the Lifan shop,i will have a look at the engines, up until now, i was under the impression they all used the same 163FML-2 engine. Could be wrong.

Me being a Luddite, i personally prefer a pushrod motor for robustness and ease of maintanence. What is a PX 250?, What are they sold under and have you got a pic? Thanx.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/588581-2013-Platinum-Px250-Enduro-67,000B#entry5719300

ktmjeff,

I am with you on that pushrod point Luddie, low tech, easy adjustment and no chain works for me every time, worth the 0.1hp loss.

They should have put that engine in the Phantom, instead of that flimsy piece of crap.

Edited by AllanB

^^ Papa, my Keeway 200 has the 163FML pushrod engine and it is 1 down, 4 up.

I hope you know that a Lifan 163FML engine is not the same as a Keeway 163FML engine, the 163 in the model number tell you that it has 1 cylinder, and a bore class of 63mm (which can be true 63mm up to 63.5mm). You can find 163FML engines or even 169FML or other numbers from many Chinese manufacturers as it's a sort of Chinese way to indemnification number

ktmjeff,

I am with you on that pushrod point Luddie, low tech, easy adjustment and no chain works for me every time, worth the 0.1hp loss.

They should have put that engine in the Phantom, instead of that flimsy piece of crap.

I always thought the Phantom was a reliable cruiser? Since when is it considered crap? Maybe you should better change your mechanic ;)