Siam Paragon bombs: Warrants expected today

webfact

SIAM PARAGON EXPLOSION
Warrants expected today

THE NATION

30253328-01_big.jpg?1423003006510

CCTV footage shows two suspects prior to bombs that went off by Siam Paragon on Sunday night

BANGKOK: -- ARREST WARRANTS are expected to be issued today for two men suspected of planting and setting off twin pipe bombs near Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok on Sunday night.

Information about the suspects was based on footage from surveillance cameras and subsequent police sketches, Metropolitan Police Bureau commissioner Lt-General Sriwara Rangsipramman-akul said yesterday.

Police are checking the footage to acquire further details, which so far show two men arriving at the scene near a government service counter sited near the shopping mall, said Royal Thai Police spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri.

One of the suspects is seen wearing a white cap with a bag slung over his shoulder. Another man is wearing a black cap and holding an orange plastic bag.

The two men were seen briefly patrolling the scene and appeared to be pushing something into the bag, before they ran away. The first bomb went off 10 seconds later, and the second bomb another 32 seconds later. A police source said a digital clock was found at the scene with 6pm set as the detonation time, but the first bomb went off much later than that.

"It is likely the men failed to trigger the bomb through this timer, or this digital clock was meant as a distraction for the police to determine which detonation method was actually used," the source added.

The source said the man wearing the white cap looked as if he was trying to ignite a lighter, with the light from an unknown source seen in the footage. Both men left the scene and entered the BTS Siam (Skytrain) station, leaving behind the orange plastic bag.

After 40 seconds went by, a bright flash was seen rising behind an advertising light box, where the bag was hidden. An incendiary detonation sparked for three seconds, and the first bomb went off. The same steps occurred 32 seconds later in another orange plastic bag left by the man in the white cap, and the second bomb went off.

Another police source said that police were following a lead that the two men travelled by taxi through Soi 7 of Siam Square, opposite Rama I Road, before they approached the scene on foot through Soi 3.

Police are verifying the pink taxi's licence plate to reach its driver, who will be questioned when found.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Warrants-expected-today-30253328.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-04

A completely confusing account. Why don't the reporters try to understand what they are told to write before they write it.

So the bomb went off 10 seconds after they split up and the second one 32 seconds later, or was it 40 seconds later when the first one started to spark for 3 seconds before it went off?

• Like 1

What an improvement on one year ago where Chalerm's police stood back and let politicially motivated killers shoot and bomb to their hearts content.

was this politically motivated? Both sides of politics have denied it.
  • Like 2

What an improvement on one year ago where Chalerm's police stood back and let politicially motivated killers shoot and bomb to their hearts content.

Of course they deny this. Will be interesting to see who did it. But if this was done by government supporters i doubt they would be caught easy. Remember the red terrorist bombers and killers and how the police did nothing to catch them as they were protected by the PTP goverment as it was their armed wing. This time the police is doing a good job. So either they are not protected or they are on opposite side of those running the investigation.

Remember the police is still not cleared of PTP influence yet. So it is even possible the police is trying to catch them against all orders.

Interesting to say the least.

Which good job they are doing this time?

All I see is man in white shown in a picture instead of man in black. But you seen any arrests?

Of course they deny this. Will be interesting to see who did it. But if this was done by government supporters i doubt they would be caught easy. Remember the red terrorist bombers and killers and how the police did nothing to catch them as they were protected by the PTP goverment as it was their armed wing. This time the police is doing a good job. So either they are not protected or they are on opposite side of those running the investigation.

Remember the police is still not cleared of PTP influence yet. So it is even possible the police is trying to catch them against all orders.

All I see is man in white shown in a picture instead of man in black. But you seen any arrests?

They say they have arrest warrants.. so I assumed they knew more as just these pictures. I could be wrong of-course as this is Thailand.

I am hoping it isnt reds or yellows that did this as the last thing we need is for all the crap to start happening again. Trouble is there are not a real lot of other possibilities, if it was southern terrorists the bombs would have been deadly, the list of suspects isnt very big.

• Like 1

They say they have arrest warrants.. so I assumed they knew more as just these pictures. I could be wrong of-course as this is Thailand.

I read warrants expected.

Are you suggesting that the attacks and murders of anti PTP government protesters, which also claimed the lives of innocent people including children, wasn't politically motivated? And that the inability of the RTP, DSI and CAPO under the direction of Chalerm and Tarit to prevent attacks or catch one single attacker wasn't politically motivated?

Have the red shirts ever claimed responsibility for any of their attacks? Has any side apart from the Southern insurgents?

Maybe only that time after Trad massacre when the Redshirts on stage and important PTP ministers heard this there was cheering and celebrating of the victory and killings. That is as close as claiming it as they ever came.

• Like 1

Are you suggesting that the attacks and murders of anti PTP government protesters, which also claimed the lives of innocent people including children, wasn't politically motivated? And that the inability of the RTP, DSI and CAPO under the direction of Chalerm and Tarit to prevent attacks or catch one single attacker wasn't politically motivated?

Have the red shirts ever claimed responsibility for any of their attacks? Has any side apart from the Southern insurgents?

I was talking about this specific incident and not those that may have occurred over the last 20+ years. Yes I agree both the yellows and reds have been involved in such incidents over the years. Dragging up historical events is only shifting things away from this event.

I guess I should be choosing a side to satisfy those on this forum.

Court approves arrest warrant for two unidentified men
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Wednesday approved arrest warrants for two unidentified men suspected of planting pipe bombs on the elevated walkway linking Siam Paragon and BTS Siam station on Sunday evening, Deputy Police Commissioner Pol Gen Jakthip Chaijinda said on Wednesday.

The two men were seen arriving by taxi shortly before the bombs exploded, Jakthip said. The warrant describes them as tall Thai men.

The bombs were similar to those that exploded at the Samarn Metta Mansion building and in Minburi last year, Jakthip added. Four people were killed when bombs stored in a rented room of Samarn Metta Mansion in Nonthaburi's Bang Bua Thong district exploded in October. The room was believed to have been rented by a red-shirt man who was killed in the blast.

Jakthip said police believed the two men had several other accomplices and experience of planting bombs, as they appeared calm on the security camera footage.

Jakthip said police are now focussing investigations on a political motive.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Court-approves-arrest-warrant-for-two-unidentified-30253364.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-04

There is no way on god's green earth the Thai police, masters of business shakedowns

and traffic checkpoints, are going from a blurry CCTV video to arrest warrants.

Unless....

1. They already knew who the bombers were

2. The warrant is a Thai version of a John Doe, meaning they have no idea who it is,

but really want to appear to be doing something.

I was talking about this specific incident and not those that may have occurred over the last 20+ years. Yes I agree both the yellows and reds have been involved in such incidents over the years. Dragging up historical events is only shifting things away from this event.

I guess I should be choosing a side to satisfy those on this forum.

Except we're not talking about 20 years ago. We're talking about PTP terror auxiliaries operating ONE year ago. It's not unreasonable to suspect that this is a continuation of their actions. The pipe bomb MO is part of their "warning" strategy, as is the hand grenades without the pins pulled.

There is no way on god's green earth the Thai police, masters of business shakedowns

and traffic checkpoints, are going from a blurry CCTV video to arrest warrants.

Unless....

1. They already knew who the bombers were

2. The warrant is a Thai version of a John Doe, meaning they have no idea who it is,

but really want to appear to be doing something.

You have been around. You know that when they want to that the Thai police can get results immediately. The network of informers in this country produces real results faster than the FBI data bank.

Warrants would only be issued if they "authorities" had an idea of WHO those responsible are. At this point, I am not sure if they have any idea who the perpetrators are. So how would a warrant help if they had no name to put on those arrest warrants?