Thailand: Public urged not to panic over H3N2 outbreak in Hong Kong

webfact

Public urged not to panic over H3N2 outbreak in Hong Kong

BANGKOK, 4 February 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health is urging the public not to panic over the outbreak of H3N2 influenza in Hong Kong.

Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said on Tuesday that the influenza strains involved in outbreaks in Hong Kong during this period were the strains usually found during the cold season in Thailand. Since the beginning of the year, around 10,000 people have reportedly come down with influenza. This number is similar to that of last year's.

Dr. Opart, however, urged groups that are at higher risk – children, the elderly and those with underlying diseases--to be on alert. Patients whose fever does not improve after taking medication and who find themselves out of breath should quickly see the doctor. The general public is also urged to eat recently cooked food and wash their hands.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-04 footer_n.gif

Well, if an Aussie farted in the outback I wouldn't worry as that's a big, wide open place; but if an Aussie farted in a smaller area like a mall or bar I would indeed worry and probably panic to get outside. tongue.png

Another story I am finding hard to understand.

The Thai public are being told not to panic about cases of flu in Hong Kong that are the same number of cases of flu that Thailand normally gets at this time of year ?

I wonder if the health minister in Hong Kong is warning all the Chineser's in Hong Kong not to worry about the cases in Thailand ?

already 111 death, 178 been in ICU in the 2015 Hong Kong outbreak ! panic or not, your choice !

anyone remember H3N2 /1968 ?

OK point taken I have now chosen to panic. Please tell me what I need to do ?

Other than running up and down Sukhumvit for the last hour shouting "the end is neigh" I cant really think of what else I can do to induce everybody else to join me in my state of panic.

already 111 death, 178 been in ICU in the 2015 Hong Kong outbreak ! panic or not, your choice !

Other than running up and down Sukhumvit for the last hour shouting "the end is neigh" I cant really think of what else I can do to induce everybody else to join me in my state of panic.

I choose not to panic; and I choose to be aware.

Yes I am also aware. I read that in Hong Kong some people have flu. This is a condition that happens in all cold counties during the winter months.

Yes I am also aware. I read that in Hong Kong some people have flu. This is a condition that happens in all cold counties during the winter months.

You saw how many have died this year?

The percentage of deaths is way above normal, does that happen in all countries in the winter months?

Well, if an Aussie farted in the outback I wouldn't worry as that's a big, wide open place; but if an Aussie farted in a smaller area like a mall or bar I would indeed worry and probably panic to get outside. tongue.png

clap2.gif

You saw how many have died this year?

The percentage of deaths is way above normal, does that happen in all countries in the winter months?

Yes, more people die during the winter months because of flu than die in the summer months.

You may also be aware more Aussies die of skin cancer than anywhere else in the world. This is because Australia is a hot country and the people spend a lot of time outside.

Maybe Thailand will warn people of this in a few months time.

..Panic never helps.. but there are already several Schools closed in Chiangmai about AH1N1 !!

In the 9th class of the school my Kids go there are few children seriously infected (positiv tested)

with AH1N1. Elderly, weak or some way sick People can be in real danger when they get that

flu.

Good ole Hong Kong Flu ! I had it ! And a relapse because I was young and did not listen to advice . The relapse was near lethal. If you are reasonably fit and don't have an existing respiritory issue most influenza may make you very ill but is not necessarily dangerous. If it of great concern it is quite possible you can pay for a vaccination.

Good ole Hong Kong Flu ! I had it ! And a relapse because I was young and did not listen to advice . The relapse was near lethal. If you are reasonably fit and don't have an existing respiritory issue most influenza may make you very ill but is not necessarily dangerous. If it of great concern it is quite possible you can pay for a vaccination.