Wipers up: why?

chingmai331

Now that i'm a car owner i notice that some cars are parked, in the sun or shade, and have the wipers flipped up off the windscreen. Even if under a big roof. Since i never saw this feature back home, USA, i pondered a bit.

Best idea: something to do with the radiation and heat on the glass mucking up the rubber blades. But why under the roof too?

Next idea: it's some kind of superstitious behaviour related to Thai beliefs.

What's your idea why?

Same reason as they don't switch their diesel engines off when parked for a meal enroute to a far distant destination - They say it's to "cool the motor" even though there is no air flow to do the cooling!!! ... or smear white stuff over their cars at Songkran time to protect the paintwork from all that water!!

Strange ideas almost akin to Thai superstitions is my answer... nothing to do with rationality. Maybe its the Buddha's take on car care.

In hotter climates older type wiper blades would heat up and stick to the windscreen.

Not a big problem here but doesn't hurt and lets you wipe the blades with a tissue to clean dirt and rubbish of them.

Ever wonder about why they sometime leave streak marks on initial use after not using them for a while.

• Like 1

Same reason as they don't switch their diesel engines off when parked for a meal enroute to a far distant destination - They say it's to "cool the motor" even though there is no air flow to do the cooling!!! ... or smear white stuff over their cars at Songkran time to protect the paintwork from all that water!!

Strange ideas almost akin to Thai superstitions is my answer... nothing to do with rationality. Maybe its the Buddha's take on car care.

Ermm don't know where you heard about the "white stuff" at Songkran but it's a blessing, part of the celebration, has nothing to do with protecting paint from water. And running a motor to cool down does have it's purposes too as it is still pumping water through the jackets and reducing hot spots and heat soaking through the engine and it is getting air from the fan while doing so. The wipers idea has some merits too I just don't see it being a real increase in savings or wiper life versus the PITA to constantly lift them and then sometimes forget to put back down as well.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Throwback from the days when wiper blades were rubber and not composites with silicon and other stuff like nowadays. Thirty years ago, rubber wiper blades would stick to the hot glass when unused during 5 months of hot and dry season. First shower in October and the rubber would rip off the blades the first time you used them and the metal wiper arm would etch a nice arc on your windscreen.

Having said that, most OEM wiper blades in Thailand these days are only good for a year. I usually bring back some decent ones from the US or UK and replace them when the original ones get streaky.

• Like 2

Sensible things based on years of experience in this climate would be my answer. You forgot lifting the hood BTW.

Edited by stevenl

Must admit I never lift the wipers, did have silicon ones from Tesco once but they stopped selling them here. Cheapo's are useless so bought Bosch ones, problem is lack of use in the dry season, except for screen washing.

I thought it was an "I SURRENDER" inference...Load O Cobblers their knackerd in 2 years up or down.Even Bosh posh ones.facepalm.gif

Bosch can be at best locally manufactured under license (and rubbish) or Chinese fake (even more rubbish). If you have someone coming in from the UK or US, get them to bring some Michelin Stealth Hybrids... you'll thank me for it.

or maybe you won't

Having lived in far hotter climates where locals do not raise their wipers with zero ill-effect, I would have to say those that do this are clueless or mis-informed... Probably believe in ghosts too...

Yes. I did 4 years in Saudi where it was way, way hotter than Thailand and never used the wipers on any car or truck I drove.

...they still disintegrated though.

Having lived in far hotter climates where locals do not raise their wipers with zero ill-effect, I would have to say those that do this are clueless or mis-informed... Probably believe in ghosts too...

I'm sorry, get your facts straight, they do not believe in ghosts they believe in phees tongue.pngwink.png ... Hotter climbs? Me too, never seen a single wiper blade lifted, but thinking not too many here really care they just buy a new set when necessary, mostly just before the rainy season.

• Like 1

It's to stop the grit accumulating and then scratching the windscreen when the wipers are inadvertently switched on when dry. In many countries the wipers are removed completely during the dry season.

"In many countries"? Like where? I'd never remove the wiper blades even a bit of grit is better then inadvertently turning on a wiper without a blade on it, that's a certain damaged windshield, not to mention maybe besides the Mojave or Sahara desserts where else does it stay absolutely dry for months on end without a trace of rain or some other reason to have to use your wipers like cleaning the windshield? And I'd hate to be caught with no wipers in the case of an unexpected storm.

It's to stop the grit accumulating and then scratching the windscreen when the wipers are inadvertently switched on when dry. In many countries the wipers are removed completely during the dry season.

"In many countries"? Like where? I'd never remove the wiper blades even a bit of grit is better then inadvertently turning on a wiper without a blade on it, that's a certain damaged windshield, not to mention maybe besides the Mojave or Sahara desserts where else does it stay absolutely dry for months on end without a trace of rain or some other reason to have to use your wipers like cleaning the windshield? And I'd hate to be caught with no wipers in the case of an unexpected storm.

It's common practice in Peru, Egypt, The Gambia, Kenya, Croatia, and Greece -- from my first-hand knowledge :) Just because you've never done it doesn't mean it can't be true??? giggle.gif

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 2

I didn't say that, just because others do doesn't mean it's a sensible practice either. But while I can't dispute your claims (as I could name off a bunch countries randomly too) I'd also not be willing to take your word exclusively for such a broad statement without some real data to back it up either.

Edited by WarpSpeed

"I'd never remove the wiper blades..."

He said the wipers, not just the wiper blades... "In many countries the wipers are removed completely..."

I thought it was an "I SURRENDER" inference...Load O Cobblers their knackerd in 2 years up or down.Even Bosh posh ones.facepalm.gif

Bosch can be at best locally manufactured under license (and rubbish) or Chinese fake (even more rubbish). If you have someone coming in from the UK or US, get them to bring some Michelin Stealth Hybrids... you'll thank me for it.

or maybe you won't

Load of waffle anyway,the Tesco Lotus geezers re rubber them for next ter nufin, i fink. That OK T.A.biggrin.png

I didn't say that, just because others do doesn't mean it's a sensible practice either. But while I can't dispute your claims (as I could name off a bunch countries randomly too) I'd also not be willing to take your word exclusively for such a broad statement without some real data to back it up either.

Perhaps what is needed is data to back up the claim of removal being some strange practice -- especially in the light of the link posted earlier.

The degree of antagonism in some posters comments regarding a totally innocuous topic is saddening. :(

or maybe you won't

Load of waffle anyway,the Tesco Lotus geezers re rubber them for next ter nufin, i fink. That OK T.A.biggrin.png

laugh.png .........rascal.........laugh.png

• Like 1

"I'd never remove the wiper blades..."

He said the wipers, not just the wiper blades... "In many countries the wipers are removed completely..."

Yeah so? I wouldn't do that either, so what's your point? Never mind, I see you have none once again, just on your usual troll..

Perhaps what is needed is data to back up the claim of removal being some strange practice -- especially in the light of the link posted earlier.

The degree of antagonism in some posters comments regarding a totally innocuous topic is saddening. sad.png

Awwwwwwwwe poor baby... No, the degree of unsubstantiated tripe from some posters is what's saddening.. Someone sees 2 or 3 people doing a certain thing and draws a conclusion that it crosses an entire country's habits, nonsense generalization like happens so often there with Thai's too..

The wiper lifting crap is the same standard practice as running the engine before starting a long drive and then running it after the journey is completed. All a complete waste of time and not proven to be of any use whatsoever.

When I queried why so many motorcycles had faulty lights it was explained to me that having the lights on all of the time used more fuel. Well ... Yes that would be true, in ten years of use you could maybe save a cup full of fuel. But what about saving damage, injury or death?

Why do so many motorcycles have the mirrors removed? It's because the bikes are more "sporty" without them. Why do motorcycle and tuk-tuk drivers keep the hand or footbrake on while driving along ... It's for safety. Why do some drivers have the car interior light on while driving at night? It's to help them see through the heavily tinted windows.

And many more instances of "hand me down" logic I'm sure.

• Like 1

The degree of antagonism in some posters comments regarding a totally innocuous topic is saddening. sad.png

Awwwwwwwwe poor baby... No, the degree of unsubstantiated tripe from some posters is what's saddening.. Someone sees 2 or 3 people doing a certain thing and draws a conclusion that it crosses an entire country's habits, nonsense generalization like happens so often there with Thai's too..

Such arrogance seems to be commonplace nowadays, but can only be expressed on a forum. In real life the response would be much more interesting .)