Tips on entering Cambodia

Beechboy

I made this request on the general topics forum, but it has been moved, I think as it had no views or replies.

For the first time in nearly twenty years I have made a hash of my single entry tourist visa.

I sent the application to Hull because their site was still up.

I now have to apply to Queensgate, but I feel it is too tight a schedule having booked my tickets.

For the first time I wish to go to Cambodia .. Som Reap and will go for a few days.

Is it easy to get a taxi into the central hotels?

How much should I pay?

Is it far?

Any hotel recommendations? Midle range.

Thanks.

I failed to mention that I will be going by air.----OP

Siem Reap --yer..?? --I know it does get spelt a few different ways,

Air travel-- that's a pity, as I don't think to many locals would travel there that way--- The last time (5 years ago) I did it with friends was a van tour , --Travel agent soi 7 patts--3 nights--just over 7,000 baht each, gave you the transport to Siem Reap (change at the border ) hotels paid for, all tickets into the temples paid for, your own tour guide (the van driver) --& the van would pick you up drop you off at a different eating place each night in S.R that had a show both which was paid for. That was a bonus as the town I thought was quite exy....... $us20 for a massage etc.

Its is well worth a visit---..here is a link explaining that you have 4 options to get into town from the airport--taxi, moto, tuk tuk, or van taxi..... http://www.movetocambodia.com/transportation/how-to-get-from-the-airport-into-siem-reap/

Edited by sanuk711

asdecas, why dont you first check this section and see what we post before you open your fool-mouth? What I dont love about Thaivisa is that people who do not contribute anything of substance still feel the urge or post. Like soi dog marking its territory. Impression is identical.

Back to topic:

Hotels: Siem Reap has a fully developed tourism industry catering to almost every possible style you like. Thus, you can get hotels in all price ranges starting from a dorm bed to 5 star. I think tripadvisor will help you to narrow down your choice and then someone here might be able to report on his experience with that hotel.

Your hotel will probably offer a free or cheap airport transfer which would help you avoiding the tuktuk mob at the terminal.

There are many scams in SR aimed at unsuspecting tourists. You can do some reading on the travel websites like Lonelyplanet or again tripadvisor and get the right info.

If you read the post mentioning Siem Reap in the last 3 weeks here you will find out that one member just got a taxi with aircon for USD 20 for going around the temples. That was excellent value and maybe the member still has a contact number. A message to him might be worthwhile and facilitate your stay considerably.

I dont know your tastes. For my part I love the temples and I believe that doing some reading ahead of time will improve the experience. Depending on your budget you could hire a guide.

Food: Dozens and dozens of places available within walking distance in the center. Again, the problem is not the lack of choice but the abundance.

If you have specific questions about certain places and maybe day trips to Preah Vehar, Koh Ker, and other locations the members here will surely give you good input. A day trip is nice as you see bit of the country as well and these impressions will stay with you in your mind.

As i said in your previous post it's 20 minutes in a Tuk Tuk from the Airport to the centre of town and they usually charge $5 USD. If you book a hotel on Agoda you might get a free pickup. I recommend "The Purple Mangosteen. Nice rooms, great location and not expensive.

That's what I love about ThaiVisa - ask a simple, specific question and you either get a world tour or condemned as a good-for-nothing dingbat lowlife.

u'd be amazed at the number of TV members who's postings have no material information/suggestions wrt the original OP -- Not like you and me - hey

Agoda and Travelfish two very useful sites - I do more budget accommodation and paid $5 for a tuk tuk to the airport - If ur paying mid level up, it ought to include a free pickup - If u arrive at the airport and not an experienced SEA traveller, u will have problems getting a reasonable priced tuk tuk

as a point of reference - a 45 minute ride from the airport in Phnom Penh to my preferred hotel is $5 from outside of the airport

Edited by Finlaco

Ok as I live in SR Tuk from airport inside fence $7 walk out to road $5-6
Taxi $12
Free sim card get before leaving terminal smart good
Visa on arrival make sure you have it all filled in before exiting and try and get there first or you will que or get a Electronic tourist visa and then just walk thru immigration
hotels take your pick fro $4 a night to $1000 a night 600 to chose from aim for one near pub street old market under 5 min prices will range from $20-40 for decent one
Rule 1 the closer you buy anything to pub street the more you pay walk 10 min away you will pay half price
If doing temples going rate for circuit $13-15 Grand Circuit $20-25 Plus ticket entry $20 a day
Rule 2 If you talk to a tuk driver always get agreed price if they dont understand you walk away there is another 800 to chose from dont be shy
Rule 3 knock off at least 30% of any price asked
Rule 4 GET RIEL they will all round up on the dollar going riel saves you heaps Tuk will charge a $1 anywhere around town pay in riel and you willl get there for 2000
Rule 5 its high season bag snatching and pick pocketing in fashion so keep it close mobile phone or camera on the table can disappear in a blink
Orphans milk powder keep walking
Lady boys can be very convincing here also
SR is safe anything can be got
Enjoy your riel Holiday

• Like 1

Tuk-tuk from the airport - $7 and unless you have a shit ton of luggage there's no need for a taxi at all.

Despite the belief that Siem Reap is scam-ridden; this is <deleted> - just don't buy milk powder for babies or use the local supermarket next to the X-Bar and opposite the street with Molly Malone's on it. I've been here 3 years and never, ever been scammed.

Don't be the <deleted> haggling with tuk-tuk drivers over 2,000 Riel. Those people want slapping. Most tuk-tuk drivers barely clear $100 a month after expenses - taking food out of their children's mouths is unforgiveable. This isn't Pattaya or even Phnom Penh most tuk-tuk drivers are honest and hard working and they speak some English too.

There is almost no bag snatching here. There is some minor pick-pocketing and petty theft but keep an eye on things in a crowd and you will have no problems.

Hotels in Siem Reap are really cheap and you should be able to land a 4 star including breakfast for less than $25. Check Agoda or Booking.com for rates. Most will throw in a free pick up at the airport if you book a day's journey round the temples at the same time.

Do go the museum before the temples. Do try and visit the landmine museum and the war museum too. Try the Tara Boat cruise on the Tonle Sap which is great value and very enjoyable. Don't miss one of the town's modern wats either.

Check out the Triangle Bar during the day for the cheapest booze in town at 35 cents for a beer from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. It's good beer too which they sell at $1,50 a beer at night...

• Like 1