Expats makin amigo's..

tzoobfly

I'm using this app on my iPhone so I dont have access to the desktop version of the site.. And I'm sure it's been we'll and truly covered - but in short:

I just moved to bangers (depending on visa's ideally permanently or for a year or whatever..) and I'm living at khao San (yes yes I know.. Save the obvious commentary :-P) I'm male, 34, web developer, contact juggler, unicyclist, hacktivist and an all round fun guy - but how the F do I meet some other permanent bangkokers?

Khaosan is great.. But everyone is transient.. For myself I know that I've got to have a local crew to hang with or eventually I'll just get lonely and go home to Australia (which I just do NOT want to do because I love bkk so much)..

So obvious question:

How who when where what etc do I go to meet some other long-term expats?

(Oh and a non-psychopath girlfriend would be fantastic!!)

Over & out

Troy.

Try drinking in Sukhumvit instead rather than Khao San if you do it that way. Expat bars in Soi 33/1 for example, or anywhere really.

Maybe better though to try on Meetup.com, bangkok expats facebook page, couchsurfing.com, bangkok event network facebook page (often runs meetup events, where everyone wears a nametag etc.), seen speeddating events on facebook too. Lots of online communities out there, and forums although Thaivisa doesn't let people link other forums lol but I'm sure you can find via google or PM me if you like.

There's a serious reply for you before the retirement age, online worker hating crowd around here starts trolling.

• Like 2

Yeah those soi 11 clubs will have large numbers of tourists. You could try the pubs on soi 33/1, the one underneath the comedy club (that's good too, they're on facebook) and the one before it. I think they run quiz nights and stuff like that. There are football groups on facebook too.

Or the soi 7 beergarden. And thaivisa has its own lounge bar on soi 7 too. In terms of what club to find a normal girlfriend, route 66 on RCA seems to be the most popular amongst non-working girls. Or try dating sites.

Edited by jspill

Patsycat, you wanna see my 'unicycle'? LOL

But seriously, it's actually good to see a guy actually trying to fit in to a normal life here in Thailand, wish you well. Take all the good advise from the BKK locals, but do remember if you post here on the illustrious TVF, you will at times need to develop a somewhat thick skin.

How who when where what etc do I go to meet some other long-term expats?

1. Don't appear too needy or too willing to buy the next round. Either approach will attract desperate and skint long-stayers whose radar will pick you out at distance and who will probably follow you home.

2. Don't speak of Bangkok (or Krung Thep) as "bangers" or of acquaintances as "amigos." (or of Pattaya as "Pats.")

3. Don't ask for advice about meeting people on Thai Visa. Anyone on TV that eager to meet you based on a desperate plea for "amigos" is probably equally desperate ... for good reason.

4. Bangkok is actually rumored to have a fairly significant population of Thais. Why come to Thailand and then immediately seek out companionship with soap-dodgers, Aussies and Yanks ... and yes you can get to know real Thai people for reasons other than sex.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Where's my unicycling video?

You've got a unicycling video? Cool!

I can just see you coming out of Diggers, keys in hand. The officer of the law approaches... You unlock your unicycle and prepare to mount. "Sorry, officer, is that for me?"

"No ma'am, carry on"

You wheel the unicycle round the corner, stick it in the boot of your car and roar off, weaving erratically...

Video: YouTube Kris Holmes unicycle Bhutan.

And isn't it completely obvious that I came to BangTep to desperately seek the non-sexual soap-dodging gringo's back in me's home land?? Think of me as fat, bald, old, dumber version of Milhouse from The Simpsons - then add cheap hookers & crack and you're almost there..

Now where did I put that gimp suit??