Thai talk: What do they talk about in 'attitude adjustment' sessions?

webfact

THAI TALK
What do they talk about in 'attitude adjustment' sessions?

Suthichai Yoon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- No, you don't have to develop an inferiority complex if you haven't been "invited" for a special session known as "attitude adjustment" with one of the officers assigned by the National Peace and Order Council.

These sessions were more exciting soon after the May 22 coup. You went in groups. You had company. You got to stay overnight and food was plentiful. You could even get the military guards to buy you dishes from your favourite restaurants. And before it was over, you got to sign some papers to ensure everything was put in black and white.

Last week, those privileged enough to attend the closed-door discourse were treated to a shorter version. It was a one-day affair and participants didn't get the full menu. What's worse, the attendees were invited on a one-on-one basis. You couldn't consult your friends. You couldn't get enough partners to launch a card game. And that sense of secrecy so important to raising your self-esteem just vanished into thin air.

I don't really know what happened in those sessions that were supposed to "adjust" your "attitude". And I am not sure who was adjusting whose attitude. But the obvious result was quite astounding. Without exception, the five to six former politicians who were invited to take part left the sessions without any bitter reaction - in total contrast to the statements they had made just before they were honoured with the invitations.

I noticed that most of them were smiling when they left the rooms where the exchange of opinion was supposed to have taken place. And they all made positive statements about the meetings. You can't exactly say they were transformed by the experience, but you can certainly assume that they had arrived at some sort of an understanding.

Now, whether their "attitude" has been "adjusted" or not is another story. I wasn't surprised that no reporters asked about the taste of the coffee or tea served. But I was really upset that they didn't ask them whether their "attitude" had been "adjusted" after the conversations, some of which lasted a good three hours. A lot of opinion must have been delivered, although it has yet to be established whether it was via a one-way lecture or a lively, genuine two-way exchange of frank opinions.

One might presume, under the circumstances, that the host was supposed to convince the guest to change his attitude towards the powers-that-be. But considering the fact that most of the former politicians invited to these special meetings were all quite articulate about their beliefs, it is also possible that the reverse might have taken place. Hence the appearance of happy faces all around.

By all accounts, the discussions took place under a very friendly, civil and respectful atmosphere. No, you can't expect both sides of the table to be in total agreement, especially over politics. But they both wanted to show that there was no animosity towards each other despite their divergent public positions.

I was not privy to the private conversations. But this being Thai politics, it's safe to assume that the exchange might have begun with apologetic disclaimers from both sides along these lines:

Host: I am sorry to have to invite you to this "adjusting your attitude" session. It's an order from the boss. I have nothing personal against you, I am not going to tell you to stop talking and I am not saying you should change your thoughts about politics. It's just that the boss would like you to cooperate by not talking about politics that could be divisive. Of course, I respect your freedom to speak. I am just following the boss's order to invite your for a quiet talk. Please understand me. I am only doing my job.

Guest: Don't worry. I understand your position perfectly. In fact, I sympathise with you all the way. I know you guys have a tough time trying to save this country from chaos. I have nothing against you. But you see, you have to understand me too. If I keep quiet for too long, those people I used to impress with my political rhetoric might forget me. Besides, I have a boss to please. He has been asking why I have been so quiet. So, if I say something that isn't quite positive about your boss, please tell him it was just my way of staying relevant with my side of the story. Otherwise, they might dump me once and for all - and that would be the end of me. So, please sympathise with me.

I don't think the host and the guest actually hugged each other - or even cried together. But I am sure they left the meeting with an "adjusted attitude" and both returned to their quarters declaring victory.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/What-do-they-talk-about-in-attitude-adjustment-ses-30253400.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-05

• Like 1

No that can't be right...not in a million years as the democracy is only elections flat earthers and over inflated human rights groups have been informing us that all military Junta's are monsters who have people tortured, disappeared, military court martialled and shot. Now we find that there are happy and smiling hosts and guests being tortured with dinning and coffeeing, and the latest guests complaining that their stay is not long enough to have a game of cards. Naughty Thais. Perhaps while those virgin white Yankees were snooping around with the local crims they could have been with the Junta instead teaching the Thai Junta the finer points of Guantanamo Bay hosting.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

Military guy: you bad bad bad

citizen: krap pom

Military guy: you bad bad bad

Military guy: go to your how and shut up!

Meeting ends, everyone leaves....

Military guy in his office: I angry too mutt, he bad bad

citizen, in his car: arai wa? w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifblink.pngw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 2

"You can't exactly say they were transformed by the experience, but you can certainly assume that they had arrived at some sort of an understanding."

See this gun..........

Yes....the stick. But possibly also the carrot; Not direct, but I bet there was a bit of nudge nudging and wink winking.

No that can't be right...not in a million years as the democracy is only elections flat earthers and over inflated human rights groups have been informing us that all military Junta's are monsters who have people tortured, disappeared, military court martialled and shot. Now we find that there are happy and smiling hosts and guests being tortured with dinning and coffeeing, and the latest guests complaining that their stay is not long enough to have a game of cards. Naughty Thais. Perhaps while those virgin white Yankees were snooping around with the local crims they could have been with the Junta instead teaching the Thai Junta the finer points of Guantanamo Bay hosting.

Yes, examples of low moral ground are easy to find today, but there is no legitimizing intimidation by pointing out the down fall of US civil liberties. One is just sadder than the other.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yesterday we had an imaginary conversation between father and son about the US and now we get an imaginary discussion between an ' adjuster ' and ' adjustee ' ! It would be nice if Thai journalists tried some proper, responsible reporting instead of their flights of fantasy.

One thing i'd be quite sure of is that if someone came out of a session and gave a full blow by blow account they'd be back in for a much longer session in no time flat.

Everyone smiles when the option is , open your mouth and we shut it forever

• Like 2

I find it distasteful that a supposedly pro-civil-liberties organ like The Nation is trying to make light of the suppression of plurality of thought.

What's clear is that hundreds of politicians, academics, NGOs, civil servants etc were pressured to sign who-knows-what-documents, otherwise they would have been detained indefinitely: there is no instance where a person was released without having signed the forms.

I think it goes something like this:

RED - BAD

YELLOW - GOOD

While they hate the reds, they also don't like the yellows.

That ideas of direct democracy and stopping corruption the Chinese way surely isn't loved by anyone in power....

I don't care how you dress it up, you can't defend this, being hauled in and made to sign documents for daring to say what you think?

indefensible.

ask costas and djjamie and others on here - they defend it!

costas almost had me crying 2 days ago with his gushing about the 'good general'

what it really means is don't do as I do, do as I say

• Like 2

I don't care how you dress it up, you can't defend this, being hauled in and made to sign documents for daring to say what you think?

indefensible.

ask costas and djjamie and others on here - they defend it!

costas almost had me crying 2 days ago with his gushing about the 'good general'

what it really means is don't do as I do, do as I say

Blaa blaa Thaksin, Waa Waa Waa Redshirts. They are evil, we are all good. If you disagree well, that is PTP logic right there folks

copyright djjamie all rights reserved,

• Like 1

Yesterday we had an imaginary conversation between father and son about the US and now we get an imaginary discussion between an ' adjuster ' and ' adjustee ' ! It would be nice if Thai journalists tried some proper, responsible reporting instead of their flights of fantasy.

One thing i'd be quite sure of is that if someone came out of a session and gave a full blow by blow account they'd be back in for a much longer session in no time flat.

I thought the same, then I realized I has also read your post and answered it too. So that's 3 minutes of my life wasted.

What else could I have done during that time is what annoys me. Swung from a star, walked on Mars, sang with Dolly Parton. The possibilities are endless.

Yet I choose to read this stuff instead.

I would imagine when Nuttawat was invited in the conversation, after the introductions, would have gone something like this :

We have quite a large file on you going back a number of years, it contains some interesting videos of speeches you made and promises you made to the Thai people, like about taking responsibility.

I have that one here would you like me to show it to you to remind you ?

Emmm....... that wont be necessary, I already clarified that by saying I was only joking.

Ok then, on this page we have an enquiry about your unusual wealth much of it which appears to have appeared after 2010, but we wont talk about that just now.

Then we come to a company called Nuttawat transport which was reported to be moving rice around to unspecified destinations when you were a deputy minister of commerce.

There are also several more things like bail conditions you are under and a suspended sentence, but that's not what we asked you to come to discuss today, that will come later, just how much later will depend on you.

What we would like to ask you today is to consider your future and how you can best help the country progress.

We don't ask you to cooperate or bow down to the military only to think before you make any statements, do anything or support anyone who could slow the return to democratic elections.

Do I make myself clear ?

Yes very very clear.

Thank you, now as you go out please show how happy you are to have had this little conversation.

Since attitude adjustment started it's always indicated that those ' adjusted ' sign a document before being allowed to go.

Does anyone have any idea what it says in these documents ?

I'm only presuming it might be along the lines of no complaints about their treatment, acceptance of what they were told and maybe somethings along the lines of keeping quiet in future.

There's never been any suggestion that anyone has refused to sign but that probably wouldn't be a sensible move.

The NCPO says it wants to create a transparent and accountable government. So it relies on its priviledged power to forced secret attitude meetings that violate Thai sovereignty guaranteed by Article 3 of the Interim Charter, "Sovereign power belongs to all Thais."

The Junta does not provide the electorate with a legitimate model of behavior, yet expects the Thai electorate to respect its behavior. Is the Junta obligated to ANY standard of democratic behavior short of its own personal dictates?