Recent visit by US top diplomat strains Thai relation

webfact

Recent visit by US top diplomat strains relation

5-2-2558-12-07-18-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The recent visit to Thailand by a top US diplomat to strengthen the over 180 years old relations between the two countries was a failure and even strained the relation.

This was what the chief of the Centre for ASEAN Studies of Thammasat University believed.

Associate professor Dr Prapat Thepchatree, director of the centre, said the recent visit to Thailand by the US assistant secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Russel and his speech at Chulalongkorn university inappropriately criticising Thailand was considered an interference of the country’s internal affairs.

His visit was a failure if he thought his visit would strengthen the long history of the relation, he said.

He said what the top diplomat said has even strained the good ties which the two countries have enjoyed and it was upset.

He viewed it was a normal diplomatic protocol for the Thai deputy foreign minister to summon the US Charge d’ affaires Patrick Murphy for clarification of any unhappy issue.

The National Legislative Assembly’s foreign affairs commission met yesterday to discuss topics to raise when it is to invite the US Charge d’ affaires for talk on February 11.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/recent-visit-us-top-diplomat-strains-relation

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-05

No point of reiterating this subject over and over.

The best action would be to ignore them and their remarks.

It was an attempt on behalf of Daniel Russel only for internal consumption.

They know that Thai/American relationships will always be good.

But I would have liked to see what happens if Thais turn to China next.......

Will Mr Russel choke on his words?

• Like 1

"The recent visit to Thailand by a top US diplomat to strengthen the over 180 years old relations between the two countries was a failure and even strained the relation."

I'm sure it didn't strain the relations as much as Thailand declaring war against the U.S. during WW II. Or was that just convenient amnesia?

There's a story behind that, very well known & in the public domain.

You should look it up.

Then you might have a different perspective of what was really strained.

The cartoon in Thai Rath newspaper a few days ago.....

"Your meddling in Thai affairs makes me (us) think that in reality you're part of IS (Islamic State)"

"What grounds do you have to say that I'm part of IS?"

"Because you behave like an "I" - idiot, and "S" - stupid."

My apologies if my Thai is a bit off the mark.

post-10743-0-25797800-1423121736_thumb.j

• Like 1

"The recent visit to Thailand by a top US diplomat to strengthen the over 180 years old relations between the two countries was a failure and even strained the relation."

I'm sure it didn't strain the relations as much as Thailand declaring war against the U.S. during WW II. Or was that just convenient amnesia?

You should look it up.

Which part? The part where:“Thailand began moving in the opposite direction, creating a 'friendship' with Japan and adding to its school textbooks a futuristic map of Thailand with a 'Greater Thailand' encroaching on Chinese territory…." OR the part where: "The Japanese had assistance: Thailand's prime minister, Lang Pipul, collaborated with the Japanese, embracing the Axis power's war goal of usurping territory in China and ruling over the South Pacific. Pipul wanted to partake in the spoils; toward that end, he declared war on the United States and England. In October, he took dictatorial control of Thailand and became a loyal puppet of the Japanese." ? I do have a different perspective now. Very brave when standing behind the bully in order to possibly receive whatever he discards without partaking in the battle itself. No matter what the general population might have wanted, the government, then as now, did whatever it wanted to do. The major difference is that there doesn't appear to be much of an impassioned resistance movement today as there was then.

Edited by jaltsc

Mr Russel may have upset the Dr from Thammassat, a few generals, the NLA and the elite in general but I don't think his comments meant much the to the other 66 million Thais. If all were allowed to air an opinion we may find that a few agree with Mr Russel.

most would... even amongst a few Thais I know who supported the Junta initially their enthusiasm is dwindling.

Mostly, it is worth adding, because they think he is 'rude' not for some 'high ideal' but that's Thainess for you lol

Jesus are they still going on about this. Just forget it for christ sake, it was meaningless diplomatic clap trap.

Surely the NLA has better things to be doing than this.

Its as if there is some kind of agenda to intentionally keep this issue going.....

"This was what the chief of the Centre for ASEAN Studies of Thammasat University believed. Associate professor Dr Prapat Thepchatree, director of the centre"

Is this gentleman part of the NLA too?

and this is a top academic? *sigh*

we all know the USA was right, apart from a few elite fanatics (you know who you are), to point out that Junta's are unacceptable in the international, democratic community

Any self appointed government or leader is unacceptable to the international democratic community. As are those who blatantly rig elections such as the Kim family and Mr. Mugabe.

The US diplomat chose his words carefully saying who things could look and might be interpreted. All democracies would like to see Thailand become a democracy - not governed by a military junta or a convicted criminal godfather and his family.

Of course the Shin apologist Thaksin supporters on here (you all know who you are, and welcome to the new "recruits") want to spin this as some sort of support for Thaksin, Yingluck and PTP.

Edited by Baerboxer

Mr Russel may have upset the Dr from Thammassat, a few generals, the NLA and the elite in general but I don't think his comments meant much the to the other 66 million Thais. If all were allowed to air an opinion we may find that a few agree with Mr Russel.

most would... even amongst a few Thais I know who supported the Junta initially their enthusiasm is dwindling.

Mostly, it is worth adding, because they think he is 'rude' not for some 'high ideal' but that's Thainess for you lol

Most Thais I know are still reserving judgement - they still don't believe much will really change for the vast majority of the population. But, they will be very disappointed if as usual everyone, on all sides, escape with little slaps on the wrist.

Most think the current PM is a typical career military leader / senior rank in the way he speaks and acts. But a lot of elites are rude like that too - Plod, Chalerm, spring to mind for example.

The reality is there is no real political representation for the majority of the Thai people. Only self interested elites and local power brokers out for themselves.

• Like 1

Most Thais I know are still reserving judgement - they still don't believe much will really change for the vast majority of the population. But, they will be very disappointed if as usual everyone, on all sides, escape with little slaps on the wrist.

Most think the current PM is a typical career military leader / senior rank in the way he speaks and acts. But a lot of elites are rude like that too - Plod, Chalerm, spring to mind for example.

The reality is there is no real political representation for the majority of the Thai people. Only self interested elites and local power brokers out for themselves.

You are reciting history for the past decades. Nothing changes.

You should look it up.

Which part? The part where:“Thailand began moving in the opposite direction, creating a 'friendship' with Japan and adding to its school textbooks a futuristic map of Thailand with a 'Greater Thailand' encroaching on Chinese territory…." OR the part where: "The Japanese had assistance: Thailand's prime minister, Lang Pipul, collaborated with the Japanese, embracing the Axis power's war goal of usurping territory in China and ruling over the South Pacific. Pipul wanted to partake in the spoils; toward that end, he declared war on the United States and England. In October, he took dictatorial control of Thailand and became a loyal puppet of the Japanese." ? I do have a different perspective now. Very brave when standing behind the bully in order to possibly receive whatever he discards without partaking in the battle itself. No matter what the general population might have wanted, the government, then as now, did whatever it wanted to do. The major difference is that there doesn't appear to be much of an impassioned resistance movement today as there was then.

Did he really declare war on England? What a fool! Guess no one explained its the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Perhaps he only wanted to fight the English part?

You are reciting history for the past decades. Nothing changes.

Correct - and why will it change for the future? Who do you think is going to drive that transformation - the current military appointed government, the old elites and the Dems or the Shin clan and their mates? I mean real transformation in the interests of Thailand and all Thai people, not the selfish elite and corrupt.

Ever hears the expression " History repeats". Without intervention it certainly will.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Jesus are they still going on about this. Just forget it for christ sake, it was meaningless diplomatic clap trap.

Surely the NLA has better things to be doing than this.

Its as if there is some kind of agenda to intentionally keep this issue going.....

"This was what the chief of the Centre for ASEAN Studies of Thammasat University believed. Associate professor Dr Prapat Thepchatree, director of the centre"

Is this gentleman part of the NLA too?

No, but if you read the OP, you may have noted this paragraph "The National Legislative Assembly’s foreign affairs commission met yesterday to discuss topics to raise when it is to invite the US Charge d’ affaires for talk on February 11".