Expats who would rather die than go back home?

michaeltheR

I expect to die here. I have nothing back in the US. I have established a good and rewarding life here. If I had to I could go back and live on my SS check, Food Stamps, SS disability check, etc. But why would I want to? When I get to my early eighties I will retire to my wife's farm and live out my days. If I acquire a mortal disease I will contrive a fatal accident rather than linger on. If a terrible accident I can only hope it is a quick death. I believe that many of the accidents and suicides that old men suffer in Thailand are the way to get out from debilitating illnesses and depletion of funds. I will try to be more creative than contriving to get drunk and fall off a second story balcony headfirst.

• Like 1

When one only reads the reactions on the news in the old country one does not want to go back.

I have had friend in Plymouth ,Devon for about 20 years, what can happen to a fit strong bloke happened to him. he had skin cancer , he lost an eye from a tumour , his back was buggered from being a stoker in the MN . OK he got a car from him being dissabled but he said with the fuel prices he couldn't afford to run it. They reduced his allowances and said he should go back to work. I ask you ,with all the above . He said to me " Phil don't ever come back you are better off where you are with a Thai wife looking after you not the ## 555 **** government." Not that I want to go back to a cold ,wet miserable place and living on 132 quid a week pension. Wouldn't even pay the rent.

I became an Expat 2 years ago. No intention of returning to the cold wet UK only to see family and friends. I m personally do not struggle living in Thailand. I have a fair company pension + the State Pension. I would never leave of my own free will; I’m here to stay until my dying day. I blame the UK Government for a lot of the problems Expats have financially due to still paying tax in the UK on pensions and not receiving the yearly increases in the State Pension. Not a fortune but every little helps.

Quite frankly, I would rather go back home than die, but I don't believe I have that option. I am from Florida, so the weather is certainly not the issue. I also rent here when I have two paid-for residences back home. Additionally, I am not tied to Thailand, or to any other country. I will go where I am most pleased. Right now, Thailand fits the bill. I don't doubt that will change, perhaps in the near future, but right now my family is here; wife, son, daughter-in-law, and grandson. Thailand serves its purpose, for now.

I know one guy who's gonna be 60 this year. He's here

on a retirement visa but is actually working online under

the radar. Recently, work has dried up and he's been

eating into the 800K he uses to qualify for his visa to

pay his way. He spends most evenings drinking on the

street bars of lower Sukhumvit and smoking 60

ciggies a day. He's says there's no way he's going back

to England and social security, a doss house, cold

weather and "Sharia law" laugh.png. In order to delay the

inevitable, he's heading off to Cambo whee he reckons

he can live for a third of what it costs him in BKK. Sad

situation, really; to be chasing cheaper living costs at

his age.

For someone that thinks England has sharia law would tell us that this person has no education or intelligence and thinks the whole world is white even though he is an actual welcomed foreigner in another land himself. And that would be the reason why he is down to his last pennies and has to keep moving to find a cheaper place.

his age.

Oh well if he prefers this life then be it. And there are many men just like him here in thailand and I'm few other SE asian countries who wluldnt want to return back, till the last days of their lives

Please change the topic title to "English would rather die than go back home".

There's no other miserable people like them.

Yeah just like all the ex pats who jump off buildings are all English.

Bell end.

You don't have to jump off buildings just because you are miserable.

I read here a lot about this and that and can't understand why all you man out there put all you money in to thailand and after some time don't like it or get here and complain about thailand .

Look I love going to thailand and have do so over the pass 6 years , but to sell all and put all my money in to a third world place like thailand ,sorry to say you would have to be mad and when you run out of money don't get on here and complain.

Most man out there and I say most man not sure how meany woman do it , sell all they have back home and go and live in thailand and I am not saying it is bad , but you know what you are doing and if you don't have the back home to take care of your self well in thailand DON'T DO IT .

• Like 1

Please change the topic title to "English would rather die than go back home".

There's no other miserable people like them.

Yeah just like all the ex pats who jump off buildings are all English.

Bell end.

You don't have to jump off buildings just because you are miserable.

My post has clearly gone over your head.

• Like 1

I expect to die here. I have nothing back in the US. I have established a good and rewarding life here. If I had to I could go back and live on my SS check, Food Stamps, SS disability check, etc. But why would I want to? When I get to my early eighties I will retire to my wife's farm and live out my days. If I acquire a mortal disease I will contrive a fatal accident rather than linger on. If a terrible accident I can only hope it is a quick death. I believe that many of the accidents and suicides that old men suffer in Thailand are the way to get out from debilitating illnesses and depletion of funds. I will try to be more creative than contriving to get drunk and fall off a second story balcony headfirst.

That's the grave you dig for yourself when you rely on government pensions and assistance to cover you in old age. Too bad so many simply do not save and invest; but it's not like you weren't told.

• Like 2

After 10 years working in Thailand I was made redundant and lived the next 3 years on my savings then decided to go back to Uk

Proving I was there to stay was easy

Registered with a doctor from day one

In the first month had free hospital checkups for cancer, ENT, hearing, blood tests, bone density

Received benefits after 3 months

Given a fantastic flat rent free

Furnished with new goods for free

Free access to wifi and books at library

At 60 i have found a good paying job

Have new friends who dont look at me as an ATM

An increasing pension pot

Beautiful English seasons and countryside

Great English grub

I dont miss Thailand at all and I can go back as a tourist anytime I want. Most importantly I am back in control and not dependant on a Thai as to whether I can stay or not. Moving back was a great decision for me.

Btw as an aside. If Labour win the next election they have promised a 2 year wait for benefits. So if you're thinking about returning you had better do so now.

• Like 2

My sentiments, exactly. My plan is to stay the rest of my life here unless I run out of money. I have a gov't pension which would not afford a decent lifestyle in the US, but allows for a middle class lifestyle in Thailand, thank God. I had planned for a decent retirement in the US, but the politicians and their pals rigged the game and I got cleaned out in 2008.

Besides, in Thailand I have a beautiful wife who treats me far better than any woman in the States ever did. I will stay here until the end and then off to the wat for a trip up the chimney.

When you are living here for 30 years with no more friends, family and property in your home country, how could you come back home without a home?

Sure, health can be an issue here and free health services are available for homeless people in some countries but that's karma and I prefer to live here with my wife and my modest pension which allows me a better life than in my country.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In my experience, finances rather than anything else will dictate where most end up.

I include Health in that as that is closely linked to finances too. If you have (regretably) an accident or illness the possible financial implications could and does wipe peoples resources out.

That's usually when they start to head for the "home country". Then it becomes a case of not what you "want" but what is the reality of the situation and what is practical.

Going back home, at least to the UK isn't a matter of 'choice' it is a matter of' 'fact'. It is not as simple as some on here would like to think. Here are a couple of points:

1: You DO NOT automatically qualify for health care (except emergencies.

2: In order to register with a GP and get some treatments, you have to be living back there for 6 months.

3: You have to PROVE you are back for good.

4: If you are financially impaired, you will have a long wait to get accomodation.

There is a lot more, I have researched quite a bit, and just received the following from the NHS:

....Those persons in receipt of UK state pensions who choose to live in another country, either permanently or for more than six months each year on a regular basis, can receive, free of charge, any hospital treatment the need for which arises while they are staying in the UK, as long as they previously lived here for at least ten continuous years. This would include if they fell ill or were injured while on a visit here, or if they needed urgent treatment of a pre-existing condition. However, it would not include pre-planned treatment or routine treatment of a pre-existing condition.. . . .

Read the last but carefully, they also went on the say that the 'Free Treatment' that Expats can receive "Is under review" and will be changed - very ominous. GHood luck to all, who may need help - like myself.

Very Good point regarding the last paragraph about NHS Care.

My wonderful Thai wife was asking whether you are covered in the UK should an emeregency occur and did say in my calculations in my mind that I have set aside some monies for treatment here.

Like you Sir I do a lot of research also and the State Pension, Frozen Pension, the proposal of scrapping personal allowances for expats and this was a huge white paper and the Govt. will probably slide it in either the next budget or the one after.

Also there was supposed to be a huge consultancy withthe Govt and NHs and the title was " the possible restoration of expats free health care and the result should have been known in 2014 and can not find it anywhere and probably shelved. This was in a Daily Telegraph article

In any case it stated that if someone had at one point 10 years continuous contributions in the UK, then if the person was over State Retired Age then some free care would be provided.

Also it mentioned the fact that newcomers to the UK would have had to have 7 years contributionns to the NHS Scheme, in order to get some benefit.

Can anyone tell me the answer and searched everywhere.

My take is that it has been totally dropped as do not forget the expats abroad are a very small minority, but who have paid the required NI and taxes throughout their working life and are "treated" worse than 3rd rated Countries.

Also explains why they will not shift on Frozen State Pensions and personal allowances, but believe and very dangerous my opinion re: the personal allowances the possibility of those owning homes in the UK and receiving rental income or those in employment would be targetted.

In any case very easy to tax everything at 20 per cent on ONE POUND and upwards..

Just saying and yes one can look the personal allowance on the Govt uk site.

Cheers and we do not get a hint of a fair deal and most of us paid the same tax and NI all their lives, but get penalised. Well the easy target and all the scum and yes not just Foreigners claiming thousands upon thousands of benefits, without paying one single penny. DISGRACE

• Like 2

his age.

Maybe he should do some resurrect, their is no Sharia law in Britain. aS for a doss house he has free will , buy a good house, and maybe he will not be entitled to Social soon or the NHS. people always look at Thailand with Rose tinted Glasses and always on a downer r with their mother Country who has provided the means for them to be in Thailand.

Your first sentence, not yet.

I'd rather return home to England than die.
So what if the weather's miserable - it's always been that
way; at least there are 4 defined seasons. My old neck
of the woods was always multi-racial/cultural so I grew up
with different colours and most are decent, hard-working

andrespectful people who just want to get on with their lives.

For someone that thinks England has sharia law would tell us that this person has no education or intelligence and thinks the whole world is white even though he is an actual welcomed foreigner in another land himself. And that would be the reason why he is down to his last pennies and has to keep moving to find a cheaper place.

Actually he's a nice, intelligent, well-read guy who knows
there's no sharia law in England but he's making a point
that, in his opinion, the country is being overrun with
Muslims and immigrants. I happen to disagree with him

The major cities have been multi-racial for more than 50

years and much of the backlash against them is based

on the belief that the country's woes - crippling household

and public sector debt - are somehow their fault.

No one wants to look at themselves and their sense of

entitlement. It was the same in the 70s but back

then, the morons were blaming the blacks and the Indians

for "taking their jobs".

Yes, Chiang Mai has quite a few retired expats who are living on the edge, barely making ends meet, spending a large portion of their income on medical bills, transportation and assistance that would be paid for in their home countries. But they don't want to leave Thailand.

With some, I'd posit it's more a case of not wanting to go back more so than not wanting to leave.

Personally heading back soon for work, school and a reboot. Finances do not dictate this and bridges are not burnt, but when it's time to go, it's time to go. Staying on-topic, I think I'd rather die if there was no chance of ever going back. Happiness is partly freedom to go where you want, when you want.

I have the best of Three Worlds, and happy that I have choices. I have property in three countries, USA, Thailand, and Vietnam - so if I get tired of any of them I can go visit the other, I am 64 and will fully retire in six months, plenty of time to do whatever, and where ever...thumbsup.gif

If I acquire a mortal disease I will contrive a fatal accident rather than linger on.

This is your decision and after spending time with terminally ill cancer patients over the last few months,I respect your decision.

I, too, have spent much time with terminally ill people and the problem with planning to ending everything with a fatal accident is that when the time comes most are so busy evaluating treatment or care options and getting their affairs in order that by the time comes they are so weak and incapable of organizing a "fatal accident" that it never happens. Thailand is not a good country to die without advance planning. Someone really need to have an Advance Directive or Living Will in place. They need to have their affairs in order. They need to have ready access to funds in that their caregivers can access for their pain management. Most importantly, they need to let those around them know how they'd like to "go out"

If they would like to "contrive a fatal accident rather than linger on" well then they need to have an Advance Directive. No, they can't ask others to implement a "fatal accident" (that's illegal in Thailand) but at least it does give their Health Care Advocate a sense of direction.

After 10 years working in Thailand I was made redundant and lived the next 3 years on my savings then decided to go back to Uk

Proving I was there to stay was easy

Registered with a doctor from day one

In the first month had free hospital checkups for cancer, ENT, hearing, blood tests, bone density

Received benefits after 3 months

Given a fantastic flat rent free

Furnished with new goods for free

Free access to wifi and books at library

At 60 i have found a good paying job

Have new friends who dont look at me as an ATM

An increasing pension pot

Beautiful English seasons and countryside

Great English grub

I dont miss Thailand at all and I can go back as a tourist anytime I want. Most importantly I am back in control and not dependant on a Thai as to whether I can stay or not. Moving back was a great decision for me.

Btw as an aside. If Labour win the next election they have promised a 2 year wait for benefits. So if you're thinking about returning you had better do so now.

Good for You, yet I wonder why you still post in TV.com - you must miss Thailand some or why bother with it at all?? Just curious. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

It's a great base of operations for traveling anywhere in the world.

Look at the taxes and cost of living in the West, not to mention the cold weather and women.

I will probably croak here.. I've been here 19 years and I'm not even 60 yet.

• Like 1

I never told the UK government I left UK and still get post to a registered address since 2006...are you saying I have lost all my NHS benefits there?

No I don't think so mate.

I'm more or less in the same boat and have just received treatment from a doctor.

I shall be returning to the UK in the next few days.....I have been " on holiday for 25 years " ( 4 years living in Thailand ) I have a British Passport and speak in a Radio 2 Voice but i have never felt British! I shall be returning to the UK with my total world wide savings of 25 GBP and dressed in Shorts and flip flops as i don't even own a pair of long trousers or a coat ( but i do have a cool scarf ...) Life won't be easy as i don't know where i will end up staying as i can live anywhere in the UK.I haven't watched TV in 25 years ( so i am a bit out of touch.... ) Most of my friends have moved on to pastures new and in bigger houses and faster and more expensive cars ( something that i have no interest in..) I guess in time i shall look for a secondhand bicycle and lots of walking which i love! I am 51 and have never taken life ( or anything else ) very seriously and was " slung out " of private education for " fooling about " the only jobs i have ever worked in have been in " entertainment & radio " but to do a serious job i would find impossible as i do like to have as much fun as possible! To me life is just an adventure and i always like to have as much " fun and laughter " on a daily basis.

I shall probably return to Thailand in the future but then the world is a big place and i have travelled and seen most of it and so there are still other interesting places to visit!

But to be honest i am excited and ready with my small suitcase and my slightly eccentric mind and my Monty Python ( very silly ) sense of humour..............

God Bless You all Viewers!

F.J wub.png

• Like 1