Australian prime minister Abbott faces challenge to leadership

webfact

Excellent post, thanks. Just one small point.... voting isn't compulsory in Australia.

Just saying..... Cheers..... Mal.

From my studies, which admittedly were back in the dark ages (or so it feels) proportional representation can't work unless voting is compulsory. Wasn't that bearded Albie bloke always in trouble for encouraging people to vote informal, which itself is as illegal as voting informal? I wonder what happened to him. Too long ago, but I'm pretty sure that is the case and PR couldn't function without it.

Anyway, the electoral office told me it was when I asked for our names to be temporarily removed from the rolls as we would be overseas for an unknown but long term period and didn't want to go to the nearest embassy or do a postal vote for subsequent elections.j They gave me the wording for a letter to send from each of us and said it's just as well we'd remembered or we could have been fined, (although being overseas was probably enough for it not to be acted on) the fines would go out automatically to the last registered address they had for us.

Malt, you are wrong. They even fine you if you don't vote in the local council elections.

No... you are wrong. The law states you have to go & have your name checked off the electoral roll at a polling booth. There's absolutely nothing mentioned about casting a vote either formal or informal. Have your name checked off to verify you have attended & that's the end of it.

I know many of you will say.... what's the difference.... BIG difference. Voting is NOT compulsory.

If enough dared to do this, the establishment, might realize enforcing people to attend a polling booth, if not interested in voting, is an absolute waste of time & money. That's why there's so many informal & donkey votes.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

Considering what he has done to the Expats and tourists here by forcing down the Aussie dollar he will get very little sympathy if he gets shafted from his own mob.

In case you do not understand, he has no control over RBA or other countries and his last concern is someone living over seas off Australian money

No he does not have control over the RBA but his dismal performance has had an impact on the aussie Dollar because of a lack of consumer and business confidence in the country and the talk is all about the polls and not on anything positive if in deed there is anything positive happening in oz at the moment, there will be an immediate peak in the dollar if Julie Bishop and Malcolm Turnbull walk out of the party room as the next boss and deputy in any order.

He does not single handedly run the country, the party does

There are either good policy's put forward by the party or the bad ones.

Makes little difference who leads the party when policy's are crap

Konying, he thought he did.

• Like 1

I'm not a liberal supporter, but since the republic referendum debacle I've said that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. He just seems statesman-like and sensible.

Tony Abbott is an appalling man - I find it very uncomfortable saying to people that our PM trained to be a priest then changed his mind and decided to be a politician. There's something just not quite right with it. {Shiver}

You would have to be a die hard Labor supporter, they're the only ones who accept that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. You should know the saying, Malcolm, the Labor Party's favourite Liberal.

I am a bit concerned about your description and just wonder what you are like? There is no need for you to feel uncomfortable as you just don't have to tell anyone. I doubt very much if anyone would ask, but I think you would just want to bring it up to denigrate him. You shiver, are you cold? Have you never changed your mind about something?

I studied politics back in the old days and the main lesson I learnt was not to support any political party but to question the policies of all. My leanings are liberal with a small L, but even Blind Freddy could see that the ALP is not fit to govern. The Liberal Coalition is not much better, but there are a few good politicians in the ranks. Samran was totally correct about Turnbull - he didn't come out of schooling and enter politics or work for political parties until he got himself a seat; he made a good career for himself, has some experience of life outside the shuttered environment of Canberra. Bill Shorten is the same - no matter what anyone thinks of him as a politician, he worked his way to the top of the union movement, and whilst not so unrestricted as Turnbull, he has a lot of years outside politics to draw experience for. In my opinion, as a potential PM, well, you have to say he's a nice enough bloke.

People I speak to, people who are interested in politics, do sometimes ask what politicians did before entering parliament; it's a question I often ask to get an idea of how much real-life experience they may have. It really isn't such an unusual question. I feel very uncomfortable that someone who trained to be a catholic priest is running the country. It shows where his mind-set probably is. Catholics are very strict on birth control, abortions and homosexuality. I'm not saying that Abbot is, but it would be difficult to avoid some form of indoctrination during training, and some of these things stick. And I shiver because he makes me, as a woman, feel uncomfortable. Creepy. Difficult to explain. Just the kind of bloke I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with. Not really a sexual thing, just - ugh. Mark Latham is the same, and despite it was well known that he was gay, Bob Brown, so it's not political party directed. I really can't explain the Bob Brown one. Just creepy.

I don't need to denigrate Abbot, he does a fairly good job of doing it himself. History will remember him as the PM who restored the honours system, and gave Prince Phillip the first knighthood and nothing else. Seriously, just as history will remember Keating as the treasurer who said 'Banana Republic' and 'the recession we had to have' and Harold Holt was the PM who went missing. The other things these men did will not be remembered. I have to say though that I don't think I've seen a PM more unpopular. We had Geoff Kennett for a lot of years and he was despised by so many people, but he turned Victoria around. He was the strong leader we had to have after the Cain-Kirner years of union domination and unrestrained spending. Hated, but at the same time admired. Abbot is just disliked on a personal and professional level. He should never have been the leader of the party - Costello would have been a much better choice in my opinion.

I change my opinion on all sorts of things as I learn more about the issues and history surrounding them. I'm very open-minded and very cynical when it comes to politics. And whilst my leanings are liberal and a bit leftish, my voting is informal; I have strong feelings on compulsory voting. I exercise my democratic right not to vote, because I haven't had a person on the ballot sheet that was worth voting for with the exception of Barry Jones before he retired. He's the only one I ever voted for because he actually did something for the local area. Every other ballot sheet I've ever had has been put into the box or envelope blank apart from the Republic referendum. I know a lot of people don't agree with my stand on compulsory voting, but I've never been convinced otherwise.

Excellent post, thanks. Just one small point.... voting isn't compulsory in Australia.

Yes voting is compulsory in Australia get your facts right I got fined $127.00 for not voting

whilst I was in Thailand

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/26215625/not-such-a-united-front-bishop-vague-on-support-for-abbott/

Just read this article about Tony V's Malcolm.

Don't like Bishop, only that she was the lead Barrister on the case against the asbestos suffers. It’s a case that you could never win as James Hardie were responsible, but wouldn't own responsibility. A lot of people suffered. Taking on a case like that shows a real lack of moral character.

Christopher Pine? I am always concerned when a Chris wants to be called Christopher? Sorry, he reminds me of a person smiling at you with a knife behind his back.

• Like 1

Good riddance, bad rubbish. He's been an embarrassment to all Australians and he needs to go.

Yep hopefully dumb dumb is gone. He is also annoying just to look at. He waddles like a duck and waddles around with the tip of his tongue protruding through his lips. The only thing he will be remembered for is his waddle and tongue

From my studies, which admittedly were back in the dark ages (or so it feels) proportional representation can't work unless voting is compulsory. Wasn't that bearded Albie bloke always in trouble for encouraging people to vote informal, which itself is as illegal as voting informal? I wonder what happened to him. Too long ago, but I'm pretty sure that is the case and PR couldn't function without it.

Anyway, the electoral office told me it was when I asked for our names to be temporarily removed from the rolls as we would be overseas for an unknown but long term period and didn't want to go to the nearest embassy or do a postal vote for subsequent elections.j They gave me the wording for a letter to send from each of us and said it's just as well we'd remembered or we could have been fined, (although being overseas was probably enough for it not to be acted on) the fines would go out automatically to the last registered address they had for us.

Malt, you are wrong. They even fine you if you don't vote in the local council elections.

No... you are wrong. The law states you have to go & have your name checked off the electoral roll at a polling booth. There's absolutely nothing mentioned about casting a vote either formal or informal. Have your name checked off to verify you have attended & that's the end of it.

I know many of you will say.... what's the difference.... BIG difference. Voting is NOT compulsory.

If enough dared to do this, the establishment, might realize enforcing people to attend a polling booth, if not interested in voting, is an absolute waste of time & money. That's why there's so many informal & donkey votes.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

Mal,

I realise you are trying to be funny but in the interest of correctness, voting is compulsory in Australia. Nowhere does it say it's compulsory to attend a polling place and have your name marked off. Of course there is no way for them to reasonably supervise what you do with your ballot paper once your name is marked off.

http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_australia.htm

The reason there are so many informal and 'donkey' votes is because there are so many donkeys in Australia ;)

Edited by neverdie

I'm not a liberal supporter, but since the republic referendum debacle I've said that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. He just seems statesman-like and sensible.

Tony Abbott is an appalling man - I find it very uncomfortable saying to people that our PM trained to be a priest then changed his mind and decided to be a politician. There's something just not quite right with it. {Shiver}

You would have to be a die hard Labor supporter, they're the only ones who accept that Malcolm Turnbull would make a good PM. You should know the saying, Malcolm, the Labor Party's favourite Liberal.

I am a bit concerned about your description and just wonder what you are like? There is no need for you to feel uncomfortable as you just don't have to tell anyone. I doubt very much if anyone would ask, but I think you would just want to bring it up to denigrate him. You shiver, are you cold? Have you never changed your mind about something?

I studied politics back in the old days and the main lesson I learnt was not to support any political party but to question the policies of all. My leanings are liberal with a small L, but even Blind Freddy could see that the ALP is not fit to govern. The Liberal Coalition is not much better, but there are a few good politicians in the ranks. Samran was totally correct about Turnbull - he didn't come out of schooling and enter politics or work for political parties until he got himself a seat; he made a good career for himself, has some experience of life outside the shuttered environment of Canberra. Bill Shorten is the same - no matter what anyone thinks of him as a politician, he worked his way to the top of the union movement, and whilst not so unrestricted as Turnbull, he has a lot of years outside politics to draw experience for. In my opinion, as a potential PM, well, you have to say he's a nice enough bloke.

People I speak to, people who are interested in politics, do sometimes ask what politicians did before entering parliament; it's a question I often ask to get an idea of how much real-life experience they may have. It really isn't such an unusual question. I feel very uncomfortable that someone who trained to be a catholic priest is running the country. It shows where his mind-set probably is. Catholics are very strict on birth control, abortions and homosexuality. I'm not saying that Abbot is, but it would be difficult to avoid some form of indoctrination during training, and some of these things stick. And I shiver because he makes me, as a woman, feel uncomfortable. Creepy. Difficult to explain. Just the kind of bloke I wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with. Not really a sexual thing, just - ugh. Mark Latham is the same, and despite it was well known that he was gay, Bob Brown, so it's not political party directed. I really can't explain the Bob Brown one. Just creepy.

I don't need to denigrate Abbot, he does a fairly good job of doing it himself. History will remember him as the PM who restored the honours system, and gave Prince Phillip the first knighthood and nothing else. Seriously, just as history will remember Keating as the treasurer who said 'Banana Republic' and 'the recession we had to have' and Harold Holt was the PM who went missing. The other things these men did will not be remembered. I have to say though that I don't think I've seen a PM more unpopular. We had Geoff Kennett for a lot of years and he was despised by so many people, but he turned Victoria around. He was the strong leader we had to have after the Cain-Kirner years of union domination and unrestrained spending. Hated, but at the same time admired. Abbot is just disliked on a personal and professional level. He should never have been the leader of the party - Costello would have been a much better choice in my opinion.

I change my opinion on all sorts of things as I learn more about the issues and history surrounding them. I'm very open-minded and very cynical when it comes to politics. And whilst my leanings are liberal and a bit leftish, my voting is informal; I have strong feelings on compulsory voting. I exercise my democratic right not to vote, because I haven't had a person on the ballot sheet that was worth voting for with the exception of Barry Jones before he retired. He's the only one I ever voted for because he actually did something for the local area. Every other ballot sheet I've ever had has been put into the box or envelope blank apart from the Republic referendum. I know a lot of people don't agree with my stand on compulsory voting, but I've never been convinced otherwise.

Yes voting is compulsory in Australia get your facts right I got fined $127.00 for not voting
whilst I was in Thailand
I went to vote in Victorian elections last year and found I had been struck off the electoral roll. I had been out of the country (in Thailand) for 5+ years. Didn't worry me as I never actually vote anyway just turn up get the name crossed off. If it wasn't compulsory with the threat of a criminal conviction then I may actually take it serious.

Last state election in 2010 in NSW, I went to the polling place, had my name marked off and folded the papers and put them straight into the ballot boxes provided, in front of the booth workers...

One asked me what I was doing, I told her, excercising my right not to vote... Still waiting for the fine on that one!!! And there will not be a fine, because there is no offence.

I was in Thailand, that last council election, which are also compulsory, they fined me... I appealed the fine, and won...

So, whilst people say voting is compulsory, and that may well be the intention, you are entitled to do with, as you want with ballots.... Fill 'em out.... leave 'em blank... draw donkeys all over 'em if you want... The important thing to avoid a fine, is to have your name marked off.... not voting!!

• Like 2

Of course! I'd forgotten about this, you're quite correct, I've even gotten into heated discussions with electoral officers about it, specifically about what my implied and required duties were once my name had been crossed off the list. It's pretty much a game of semantics though. I'm not sure if it's just because we were in UK and it was very exotic to us, but we spent almost an entire term/semester on the intricacies of PR. I would bet my life on it that we learned that the PR system was unworkable without universal participation.

(Bonus reply (from one who studied politics) - in my opinion compulsory voting is not a great idea anyway. In UK, politicians are no better or popular than they are in Aus, but once every 4 years they have to get you to put your coat and and walk down to the school hall and put a cross on the ballot paper. This leads to members being a bit more involved at a local level holding regular surgeries and doing/saying/announcing things which will get their name in the free local newspaper and on local radio and TV - they really have to be otherwise all of the 'family' or 'class' voters in safe seats might stay at home and said seats be raided by independent candidates getting people all enthusiastic about turning out on polling day.)

I went to vote in Victorian elections last year and found I had been struck off the electoral roll. I had been out of the country (in Thailand) for 5+ years. Didn't worry me as I never actually vote anyway just turn up get the name crossed off. If it wasn't compulsory with the threat of a criminal conviction then I may actually take it serious.

This is the point I was getting at in my last comment but didn't make very well (sorry for holding you up as an example Chooka). Under proportional representation the MP doesn't have to do a whole load of anything because, well, you're going to vote come what may. You're not going to risk a fine are you? You're going to turn up and get your name ticked off the list and as you're there you may as well vote (or perhaps don't even consider not doing so), so you either vote for the name you're familiar with, vote for the party that your father voted for, or you do a donkey vote; 1, 2, 3 etc. As the majority of people will have heard the name of the incumbent, said person has a distinct advantage in this scenario as people tend to go with familiarity. In non PR systems, the local member has to work to get you to get off your backside and into the polling station, before anyone starts work on swaying you on who you are going to vote for, so there is a lot more appearance of the MPs being more proactive; it really doesn't matter if something is being done, what matters is that it is being seen to be done. (This is the reason that Australia's current system of PR will never change - the one who is currently being voted in via this system isn't going to want to change it in a hurry.)

Aaaand this time tomorrow I'm going to be licking my lips waiting for a very long overdue souva with extra garlic sauce from Lambs on Lygon Street (and I've just discovered that both Coles and Woolworths have Lavazza coffee beans on special this week at about 33% off, so I'll be bringing the next 12 month's supply back with us from Aus rather than from England as we usually do - the difference is scary when you drink as much coffee as I do, 1kg is $19.99 or at Tops/Rimping I can get 250mg for 455 baht. I like a bargain, but this one is very special as it will help me to justify my 1kg coffee a month for the next year or so).

• Like 1

This is the point I was getting at in my last comment but didn't make very well (sorry for holding you up as an example Chooka). Under proportional representation the MP doesn't have to do a whole load of anything because, well, you're going to vote come what may. You're not going to risk a fine are you? You're going to turn up and get your name ticked off the list and as you're there you may as well vote (or perhaps don't even consider not doing so), so you either vote for the name you're familiar with, vote for the party that your father voted for, or you do a donkey vote; 1, 2, 3 etc. As the majority of people will have heard the name of the incumbent, said person has a distinct advantage in this scenario as people tend to go with familiarity. In non PR systems, the local member has to work to get you to get off your backside and into the polling station, before anyone starts work on swaying you on who you are going to vote for, so there is a lot more appearance of the MPs being more proactive; it really doesn't matter if something is being done, what matters is that it is being seen to be done. (This is the reason that Australia's current system of PR will never change - the one who is currently being voted in via this system isn't going to want to change it in a hurry.)

Aaaand this time tomorrow I'm going to be licking my lips waiting for a very long overdue souva with extra garlic sauce from Lambs on Lygon Street (and I've just discovered that both Coles and Woolworths have Lavazza coffee beans on special this week at about 33% off, so I'll be bringing the next 12 month's supply back with us from Aus rather than from England as we usually do - the difference is scary when you drink as much coffee as I do, 1kg is $19.99 or at Tops/Rimping I can get 250mg for 455 baht. I like a bargain, but this one is very special as it will help me to justify my 1kg coffee a month for the next year or so).

+1 for lambs, definately the best.
  • Like 1

Back on topic...

Watched Insiders this morning....

Bwhahahahaha.

Abbott is screwed. This liberal government is screwed at the next election.

Unbelievable.

Australia is screwed. You Tony numbnuts and his band of fools, Bill Shorten and his gaggle of misfits or you have Clive Palmer, jacqui Lambie and the sex party.

White Christmas 13.

Just out of curiosity.

What did this amount relate to. The fine is only $20.00 for not voting but it the matter goes to Court then it could cost you more through the addition of Court costs. I did not vote in the last NSW State election, as travelling around Thailand and got a please explain letter to start with. Contacted the Electoral Commission via Skype, explained that I was now living in Thailand. All good, no fine and a notation was placed against my name for future reference..

Back on topic...

Bwhahahahaha.

Unbelievable.

In a decade (or less) the country really suffer. Things will be so difficult for whatever part that governs. Socialism and stupidity killed a nation. End of.

Back on topic...

Bwhahahahaha.

Unbelievable.

In a decade (or less) the country really suffer. Things will be so difficult for whatever part that governs. Socialism and stupidity killed a nation. End of.

You must have a good crystal ball Neverdie?

Numbnuts (as referred by Chooka above) has basically done a Kevin 07. He has ostracized himself from the electorate which has an impact on the next election. The backbenches are nervous in that their jobs are being put on the line.

Tony's new policies are not being accepted by the Australian community. He is seen as someone who can't get things done. He is standing in stagnate water getting eaten alive. I can't think of one new initiative Tony has succeeded in? He is a bit like the General.

The Libs are on a hiding to nothing at the moment. A change in leadership may help their chance in getting over the line at the next election.

So they do nothing, and little Billy swans into the lodge?

Numbnuts is that far out of touch with what most Australians think; Knighting the Prince, your kidding. Stupid is what stupid does!

• Like 1

Back on topic...

Bwhahahahaha.

Unbelievable.

You must have a good crystal ball Neverdie?

Numbnuts (as referred by Chooka above) has basically done a Kevin 07. He has ostracized himself from the electorate which has an impact on the next election. The backbenches are nervous in that their jobs are being put on the line.

Tony's new policies are not being accepted by the Australian community. He is seen as someone who can't get things done. He is standing in stagnate water getting eaten alive. I can't think of one new initiative Tony has succeeded in? He is a bit like the General.

The Libs are on a hiding to nothing at the moment. A change in leadership may help their chance in getting over the line at the next election.

So they do nothing, and little Billy swans into the lodge?

Numbnuts is that far out of touch with what most Australians think; Knighting the Prince, your kidding. Stupid is what stupid does!

Chris, I don't like numbnuts, he's a douchebag. However, to suggest he's done nothing is a bit silly. His govt has achieved a number of objectives but you are right he's immensley disliked and dead in the water.

Malcolm Turnbull is the way forward. A new PM will be ushered in, the govt will cop some flak and then we will see some masterful moves by MT & if Australians have an ounce of smarts a new MT led government will continue to rein for several terms......it's the only way to did Oz out of termoil. Unfortunately the foundations of the country have been damaged thru irresponsible labour govt spendings and this baby is about to topple like a house of cards.

Only a fiscally responsible govt can save us now.

Bi shorten and his merry men of spastically retarded folk are not the answer to the problem, actually they are the root to the cause of the pitiful situation.

The spill is over. Tony Abbott remains PM with a 61-39 vote.

Interesting times. I wonder how long they will give him before going again or will they let him take the to the wall?

That's a huge win for Bill Shorten, he must be ecstatic. Abbotts person ratings amongst voters has plummeted and is at an all time low.
  • Like 1

Interesting times. I wonder how long they will give him before going again or will they let him take the to the wall?

The fat lady has not sung yet.

Sounds as though they have left Tony keep his head in the noose, Neverdie?

Jacqui Lambie was on ABC this morning, she let fly on numbnuts.

Barrie Cassidy is on air at the moment. He doesn't believe it is over.

Does Julie keep her job?

• Like 1

Keating lost his first bid to Hawke 44-66. This ain't over. Turnbull will wait to be annointed.

• Like 1

Keating lost his first bid to Hawke 44-66. This ain't over. Turnbull will wait to be annointed.

Turnbull is too divisive unfortunately. It is a pity Abbott is so disliked because right now there are really no other contenders.

I say bring on Mathias "Arnie" Cormann. :)

I agree with you old son.

Malcolm is just lubricating his massive plastic vibrating fist and eventually he will give tony a good seeing to!

Little billy shorten probably almost creamed himself this morning.

Surely that douchebag isn't going to be oztralias next pm? The federal Libs are handing it to them. Fools.

What next ?

• Like 2

Does Julie keep her job?

Jackie Lambie, wow. Has never said anything intelligent and is a real credit to the Australian Senate. Likes her men big between the legs and went on Australian radio spruiking the same. What an intelligent statement. She can let fly as much as she likes, being used by the left but can't see it. A real feral. Barrie Cassidy, as far left as you can get and that's what one would expect from him. Keep up the attack no matter what.

Does Julie keep her job?

Jackie Lambie, wow. Has never said anything intelligent and is a real credit to the Australian Senate. Likes her men big between the legs and went on Australian radio spruiking the same. What an intelligent statement. She can let fly as much as she likes, being used by the left but can't see it. A real feral. Barrie Cassidy, as far left as you can get and that's what one would expect from him. Keep up the attack no matter what.

You don't have to like her, Si, but she was giveing it to Tony. Her main agenda is for the defence force.

US think tank asks 'Is Tony Abbott the most incompetent leader of any industrialised democracy?'

Abbott 'a strikingly poor politician'

Tony Abbott seems to be the least competent leader of any rich democracy and appears unaware of how poorly he comes across at world events says Joshua Kurlantzick from US think tank Council on Foreign Relations.

A leading United States think tank has published a piece posing the question, "Is Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott the most incompetent leader of any industrialised democracy?" and answering, quite comprehensively, in the affirmative.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/us-think-tank-asks-is-tony-abbott-the-most-incompetent-leader-of-any-industrialised-democracy-20150211-13cda6.html

• Like 1

US think tank asks 'Is Tony Abbott the most incompetent leader of any industrialised democracy?'

Abbott 'a strikingly poor politician'

Tony Abbott seems to be the least competent leader of any rich democracy and appears unaware of how poorly he comes across at world events says Joshua Kurlantzick from US think tank Council on Foreign Relations.

A leading United States think tank has published a piece posing the question, "Is Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott the most incompetent leader of any industrialised democracy?" and answering, quite comprehensively, in the affirmative.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/us-think-tank-asks-is-tony-abbott-the-most-incompetent-leader-of-any-industrialised-democracy-20150211-13cda6.html

I read that story in the Herald this morning too, and what a damning, accurate indictment it is. We have an intellectual pygmy for a PM, and here's the proof that the US has twigged to him.

Pity my country.

• Like 2