Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

I have a BIG problem. sad.png
I am used to eat with a knife and fork.

When i join my gf to go eat Thai Buffet i take my own kitchenknife with me in the motorbike.

But from now i cannot take the little kitchenknife to the restaurant anymore sad.pngsad.png

But on the street i see fruit- and coconutsellers with big knives.

Are those allowed ??? wink.pngwink.pngwink.png

What a crazy world !!! smile.png

PS I have also a screw-driver in my MB

What utter nonsense. A swiss army knife? Are they kidding?! Nothing better to do? Let me see, it's got: a tiny knife (not a flip knife or stiletto, you have to PEEL it out) a screwdriver, small scissors, a cork screw. JEEZ! Dangerous stuff.

I call it simple police harassment. And fear of "loss of face" when they couldn't find anything.

Amazing indeed...great way to show hospitality.

Dont carry a knife (as self defense or any other reason). I dont know what the issue is.

Some place have restriction on blade length, some dont. I think i recall that all blades were banned after 9/11 airport loading. Now i believe some blade lengths are allowed. But i will check the rules for banned items before my next flight.

So you're in Thailand. the rules in your host country do not necessarily apply. Know what the rules. are.

The person speaking sounds thai. If she is thai, she has NO excuse.

There are plenty of things you can criticize the Thai police for. This stop isnt one of them.

Just my 2 cents

My wife recently bought something between a dagger and sword and put it in her car. I presume we would have to remove it every time I drive it...

You could basically arrest about 90% of the Thai as many have weapons in their cars and houses.

But a Swiss army knife what's the limit? Can I have screw driver in my car? Not even if it's prepared with Vodka :P

Thailand is a much safer place now,one less Swiss knife in circulation,crime rate must start to tumble down now.i feel a whole lot safer now travelling in Thailand.Thank you so much to the officers who caught these terrible people.Thank god that most people only carry guns in Thailand!tongue.pngwai2.gif

• Like 1

I know it's a load of BS but I didn't see anywhere where the Dutch people were fined. The Thai woman said it was hers and the Thai driver had his licence photographed. Where did the Dutch couple come in and it didn't look at all like a Swiss army knife. At least have the headlines correct!!

Well she was pretty dumb saying it was for self defense...

Should have said it was for minor repairs...

They clearly say in the article that if she had been alone, then they would have 'cut some slack' with that reason for carrying the knife.

Top police work...

x

Come on, a Swiss army knife. It like finding a screw driver or spacers in the car, they would do more damage than the knife it was made for doing many odd things, opening a bottle, opening a can, cutting tape, wires fixing many things, bloody stupid. So if you are carrying a small pen knife you are arrested and fined.

What happens if you were going camping in a forest with a Swiss Army knife wow64 I bet if you were stopped and fined your comment would be completely different. Put your brain into operation before you open your mouth.

• Like 1

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Maybe so but do you think the Aussie police would fine someone for having a something like this in the car? It's not a knife, it's an utility tool of which the penknife is just one of many tools.

The Qld police had a go at my son for carrying a Swiss Army knife down the Gold Coast, they had to let him go because he is an electrician

Good thing I never got stopped and searched on my many CBR trips around the north and north east of Thailand, or they might have found the Kershaw combat boot knife, and the push button lock blade, both with 4" blades, both razor sharp, that I carried on me at all times.

attachicon.gifKershaw 4351 Military Knife.jpg

why would you want to Carry such thing, unless you have intentions of using it,

I traveled all over the north and north east of Thailand on my CBR, always traveling alone. Sometimes I would get off the main roads and go to some of the smaller cities and villages. That is not always the safest thing to do for a foreigner at times. I'm a 4th Dan in Shotokan, and a 20 year Marine, so I definitely know how to take care of myself, but to my thinking, it never hurts to have a little "back up" should it be needed. I never had any intentions of using either knife, or even putting myself in a situation where it might be necessary, but this is Thailand, and sometimes things happen that make no sense, so it's best to be prepared, just in case. Always walk away if at all possible. If not, take down as many as I could, while I could.

. I have a black belt in ludo and a brown in chess it puts the fear into them.
  • Like 1

I carry a golf club with a heavy head inside the door sill of my car. Just in case some pleasant driver wants to get outside of their car and hit a few balls on the side of the road. Always ready for a pleasant bit of hitting the balls around. Maybe I should lay in a stock of golf balls too in case they don't have any?

What an absolute load of blooocks, the BiB showing just how clever they REALLY are, i haven't seen the Vid but can imagine what other foreigners will think of this stupid act..........................................coffee1.gif