Survey: How Serious Is Crime Against Foreigners?

Scott

How Serious is Crime Against Foreigners  

539 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So why is the perception so vastly different between farangs in Thailand? A high number sees crime in Thailand as a major problem, but even more sees crime in Thailand as no worse than back home. Are people exaggerating or lying or what? What I have noticed is that people who are negative about Thailand will take the side of negative regardless of what the question is. Agenda? I wonder.

I live in Bkk full time, I dont frequent lower Suk or other sex life areas, NEVER had a problem.

Our two week millionaire blow ins who frequent parts of Thailand a normal riap roy Thai would never be seen in may have a different outlook.

Yes I have walked up Lower Suk in the evening, what a pantomine, still its the other side of the coin.

You wont get one without the other.

Lie down with dogs, dont complain about being bitten by fleas.

1.I have been beaten with a steel bar.

2.punched and got black eye.

3.attempt to run me over

4. Shit and piss on my fence every other day.

5.punched again.

6. My bag snatched

7. My friend got bag snatched

8. My friend got hit on head with stick and passed out.

9. I have had my drink mickyfinned and robbed.

10.my friend had drink mickyfinned and robbed.

11. My thai partner was attacked and had head stomped on. Had to learn to walk, talk and eat. For 3 years.

12.got 800,000 in compensation a lawyer cheated and victim got nothing.

Could go on but I am tired now.

This is insane. Why was your thai partner stomped on?

I have had several break-ins and some rather valuable stuff stolen. I can only guess how they got by the guards and why the security cameras just seemed to not be working that particular evening.

I also know several people who have been hospitalized for serious injuries from beatings. None of those were situations where there was a conflict, they were attempts to rob the person.

I think it is a matter of how long you are here and with whom you come in contact. I work here.

I had a retired friend who said it's the safest place in the world. At least it was until he fell off his bar stool and sustained a concussion.

In 24 years of having a buisness here ,living full time for 10 years we have been burgled once ,but so were our Thai neighbours ,he was caught and put in prison ,i have only once been scammed ,when we first lived here by the cesspit emptying man (bastard) i ring them occasionally and send them miles for a ficticious job ,(revenge is a sweet best eaten cold) and i was once not paid a commision by a farang . apart from that no one ever tries to charge my wife and i a higher price ,although 20 years ago when buying the wife a gold ring the woman told my wife in Thai she would overcharge me and give her some money next day,the wife went apeshit ,told her "how dare you swindle my husband" and we ended up getting a discount .

apart from that i once saw a necklace snatch and once saw two Thai guys fighting a third Thai guy,i feel safe here ,but then i no longer wander around beach rd ,pissed out of my brains at 3 in the morning.

• Like 1

So why is the perception so vastly different between farangs in Thailand? A high number sees crime in Thailand as a major problem, but even more sees crime in Thailand as no worse than back home. Are people exaggerating or lying or what? What I have noticed is that people who are negative about Thailand will take the side of negative regardless of what the question is. Agenda? I wonder.

Some people live in Pattaya, Patong, or lower Suhkumvit (sleazy sex tourist areas) and see scams/crime on a daily basis. These places basically attract the worst of the worst of Thai society. Most of the Thai scumbags in the country congregate in Pattaya to feed on the tourists. So people who live in these places tend to form very negative opinions because of it.

People living in the rest of the country generally have a much more positive outlook.

Some people live in Pattaya, Patong, or lower Suhkumvit (sleazy sex tourist areas) and see scams/crime on a daily basis. These places basically attract the worst of the worst of Thai society. Most of the Thai scumbags in the country congregate in Pattaya to feed on the tourists. So people who live in these places tend to form very negative opinions because of it.

People living in the rest of the country generally have a much more positive outlook.

What makes me laugh is when people who've deliberately sought out such places then complain that they got scammed, or they can't get a decent taxi, or whatever. What did they expect?

I'm surprised there wasn't a 5th option, something like "crimes against foreigners are less in Thailand than Western countries."

Sure, Thailand has its hot spots like any country in the world, but compared to somewhere like the States?

I laugh when I read on various boards (not just here) American tourists worried about crime here when it's far more prevalent in many parts there.

Would I feel completely safe in Pattaya? no. Is there a bit of a murder problem on the mafia run islands down south. But it's still safer than Chicago, Detroit, New Jersey or many other places.

Where I live Chiang Mai is significantly safer than my own native Australia.

Sure, there's the odd petty theft and a few other goings on but here's the thing: they make headlines here. In Australia most of it wouldn't even rate as news because minor/ petty crime is far more common.

Really?

There are people living in the boonies who are just as if not far more dissatisfied with their lot.

Look at all the threads from grumps holed up in a McMansion in the ar5e-end of Isaan bitching about locals pissing on their fences, picking their flowers, taking their power tools without permission and having extended family take advantage on a daily basis.

No scams, group beatings or pickpockets there yet they're as miserable as f***.

• Like 2

Really?

There are people living in the boonies who are just as if not far more dissatisfied with their lot.

Look at all the threads from grumps holed up in a McMansion in the ar5e-end of Isaan bitching about locals pissing on their fences, picking their flowers, taking their power tools without permission and having extended family take advantage on a daily basis.

What part of town do you think those guys started their journey to misery in?

• Like 1

I been living in a moo baan just outside Pattaya for over 7 years and never had any problems here.

Some houses have been broken into but everybody were pretty sure it was the workers building the houses and they lived in workers quarters inside the village.

They only robbed the houses when nobody was there, the developer moved the workers to another location and no problems since.

When walking downtown at night, say on beach road promenade you has to be alert, often see drunken tourists stumbling about and they are an easier target than me so not really too worried.

Been here for over 12 years and never had any problems but don't go out much anymore due to family commitments.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Really?

What part of town do you think those guys started their journey to misery in?

Be that as it may, those guys aren't in that state of mind owing to the prevalence of CRIME in those outback areas or the red light areas of BKK and Pattaya for that matter.

My point is simply that one's proximity to or residence in Pattaya or Lower Sukhumvit etc has far less bearing on one's outlook on life in the country than one's general negativity towards Thailand.

Edited by Cypress Hill

Really?

+1

My home has been robbed, while not home myself.

I also once got kicked of the bike and robbed of my wallet and such, during which the 5 guys found it necessary to also kick me while down on the ground after the motorbike fall/kick.

A taxi motorbike driver got very aggressive and hit me with his helmet, because he wanted 80 baht for a 30-40 baht drive, which I refused to pay. He was apprehended by other Thais on the spot and given a small beating back by them.

Can't both the first and last options be true? Why are they exclusive?

They are both true. Reality is a product of your strongest definitions and beliefs...

What you focus upon you will perceive, it's that simple.

Even Buddha knew, 2000+ years ago, that everything is illusion, could he be correct? wai2.gif

Of course, but even though he is correct, he is wrong on TVF...

Even if he's 50% right, he's still wrong on TVF lol clap2.gif

The biggest problem is perception.

Most of the people here that pay attention to the news at all, are looking at the English language papers and TV programs (or their German/French/Russia versions - same news, different language), which primarily report about crimes involving foreigners. It gives the misleading perception that almost all of the crimes happening here are perpetuated against (or sometimes by) foreigners. Without seeing and understanding everything else is happening on a daily basis, we can't see that those incidents represent a tiny fraction of the overall picture.

By "here" I generally refer to Thailand, but when I mention the "foreign language media" I'm usually referring to the Pattaya media (Pattaya Mail, Pattaya People, Pattaya Today, etc).

Add to that the fact that many of our current media outlets publish/produce on a weekly basis (and hammer us with the same broadcasts repeatedly throughout the week) and again, it seems like almost all the crime happening in Thailand is strictly targeted at foreigners. How many of you read the story about the Ukrainian that robbed the cash exchange ? How many of you are Ukrainian ? Not many, but because the crime involved a foreigner, it tweaked your interest. If that had of been a Thai robber you would have probably just glanced over the article without paying it much attention at all. Of course, had it been a Thai on Thai crime, you probably wouldn't have seen it at all in the foreign language media (in fact, it probably wouldn't have made the media at all if it weren't for the fact the owner was "connected"). Chances are, you read the article because it involved a foreigner and it didn't matter that he wasn't from the same country as you. Goes back to that old "tribal" instinct, all us "foreigners" got to stick together ! Show solidarity ! Us against "them" !

A foreigner shop-lifts a pound of butter and it makes the (foreign language) news. A Thai steals an expensive motorbike from a Thai shop - doesn't make the news. A foreigner has an accident on his scooter - it makes the (foreign language) news. 100 Thais have accidents everyday on their scooters - doesn't make the news (unless there are bodies strewn everywhere and someone "important" is involved).

The foreign language media aren't going to report all those other events (unless they are extraordinary) mainly because their readership simply isn't interested in them. If they did report them, people would just skip over the stories and gripe about the wasted ink.

It is little wonder that our perception of the crime problem is skewed. If we took the entire expat population of Thailand and dropped them into Rio, Athens, Seoul or Mumbai, with news media similar to what we have here, in no time flat everyone would have the exact same perception (that crimes against foreigners is a serious problem). We would have the perception that it is a serious problem because 95% of all the news we would see (or pay attention to) would involve foreigners.

• Like 1

Not listening to my son telling me to take off my neck goldchain: 2 Young Thaimen on motorbike ride up on the pavement trying to snatch it.

Fortunately I was swetting and had a good Lock on it, I didn't loose it.

I have learned my lesson.

I was hit in the head with a big Chang bottle by a tuk tuk driver... He said he'll take me and my friend from Khao Sarn to Insomnia on soi 12 for free. My friend and I had done this numerous times in the past. The tuk tuk drivers get paid by the club... Anyways, when we arrived to Insomnia, the driver turned and demanded 300 baht. My friend and I looked each other astonished because a taxi at that time would have been less than 100. My friend jumped off the tuk tuk and went over to the security guards to see if they'll pay him. I jumped off to stretch my legs and the driver jumped off the opposite side of me. He must have picked up a bottle because when I turned and looked it was coming down on top of my head. He then threw the bottle down and took off on the tuk tuk.

I'm not trying saying that there wasn't a confrontation on both sides. My friend is Estonian and gets pretty loud when he's upset, so everyone were heated; however, that doesn't make it right to crack a bottle over someones head. Had to get 20 stitches for that one. Nice little scar....TIT

When it comes to crimes against innocent and law abiding victims, I'd say that Thailand is no worse than anywhere else, i.e., a rare occurrence.

People who look for trouble will definitely find it here though -- most of the 'victims' of crime here seem to have been doing something stupid or illegal in the first place.

I'm not so sure about this statement.

We live in a country where a non-Thai cannot own property. Therefore all property must be in the Thai partner's name.

I read almost every day of someone's partner, ex-wife, girl friend, boyfriend, leaving the foreigner behind, and taking money from their account, land, house, car, sometimes kids.

This often means a life savings is lost, bringing hardship as well as emotional problems.

To me, this is a serious crime, but how often is it reported?

The dangerous and crime filled places are the places where the foreigners go, IE Pattaya ,Phuket, Samui. Koh Tao of course is a law unto itself!

Thailand in General is a safe place if you are sensible and don't walk dark alleys alone in the early hours. There are new fearless groups of teenagers that race bikes and seem to have a lot less respect for everyone than their pre decessors they do attack foreigners if they are daft enough to be alone and drunk.

When it comes to crimes against innocent and law abiding victims, I'd say that Thailand is no worse than anywhere else, i.e., a rare occurrence.

People who look for trouble will definitely find it here though -- most of the 'victims' of crime here seem to have been doing something stupid or illegal in the first place.

We live in a country where a non-Thai cannot own property. Therefore all property must be in the Thai partner's name.

I read almost every day of someone's partner, ex-wife, girl friend, boyfriend, leaving the foreigner behind, and taking money from their account, land, house, car, sometimes kids.

This often means a life savings is lost, bringing hardship as well as emotional problems.

Its not a crime if you give someone all your money.

• Like 2

Its not a crime if you give someone all your money.

fraud? and what if they weren't 'given' the money, but absconded, ran,cheated, lied?

Are you serious? If that's classified as a crime, how about a guy getting a divorce in the US, losing half his assets and having to pay child support/alimony to the point of going bankrupt? Is that a crime? Every guy who gets married in Thailand and/or buys his GF/wife a house knows what he is getting into. He does so willingly. If things don't work out, how is that a crime?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well, if it wasn't reported, how would you read that it happens every day?

Non-Thais CAN own property - they just can't own the land. They can own cars, motorbikes, boats etc

Wives/husbands can't LEGALLY run away with kids if they have joint custody so what are you griping about?

It's the farang's CHOICE to put cars, bikes and houses in a Thai partner's name.

It's the farang's CHOICE to give his/her partner access to the bank accounts with the real money.

They take the risk, they have to take the pain if it goes wrong.

The country doesn't appoint babysitters to protect farang idiots from themselves.

• Like 2

Well, if it wasn't reported, how would you read that it happens every day?

Non-Thais CAN own property - they just can't own the land. They can own cars, motorbikes, boats etc

Wives/husbands can't LEGALLY run away with kids if they have joint custody so what are you griping about?

It's the farang's CHOICE to put cars, bikes and houses in a Thai partner's name.

It's the farang's CHOICE to give his/her partner access to the bank accounts with the real money.

They take the risk, they have to take the pain if it goes wrong.

The country doesn't appoint babysitters to protect farang idiots from themselves.

Agree. It gets so tedious that some farangs just want to cry "victim" all the time. I just posted this on another thread, but perhaps it applies here as well:

post-54788-0-22123100-1423724315.jpg

• Like 1

I live close the border to Poi Pet, Cambodia and some years ago four khmer thieves tried to steal our mc that was left outside the house with a chain.

They managed to cut the chain and lift the mc over a 1.5 m wall. Unfortunally for them they ran into border guards and one of them was shot dead on the spot.

The other ones managed to escape, one man short and without the bike, after exchanging fire, they carried two Kalashnikovs and grenades, with the border guards. They were killed about a week later in similar incident by the Thai Police.

This is not really about targeting foreigners because mostly it's thai people that loose motorbikes. Anyway, that's about what happen to me staying 20 years in Thailand.post-169298-0-31247200-1423725425_thumb.

Nowadays we take the bikes inside nighttime.