Changing visa stamps in new passport -- what's the process?

Tried to look up this topic but didn't get much out of it.

First, I'm going to Chiang Mai immigration on Monay to do my 90 day and get that out of the way.

The next day I'll pick up my passport at the US Consulate. So a couple of questions.

• How long from the time I receive the new passport do I need to transfer the stamps over from the old to new, especially if I'm carrying them both together?
  • Do I need to stand in line at o-dark-thirty at CM Immigraion to obtain a number in order to get this process done, or can I just 'walk-in'?
  • I have a scheduled appointment for my yearly extension in April. Can I just wait until then to have the stamps transferred? Or will this create a hassle. I just don't know.
  • Is there any specific paperwork I need to fill out in advance to have the visa stamp transfer completed? Forms, etc?

Thanks.

Edited by connda

You should get the stamps transferred as soon as possible after you get the new passport. I don't think they will let you do it with your extension appointment.

Immigration does not transfer visas. They will do an annotation of the visa you used for the entry you have been getting extended and the most recent extension of stay stamp.

You will need this form http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_transferstamp.pdf

Copies of both passport photo pages. Copies of your visa and entry stamp from it in the old passport and the your most recent extension. Copy of TM6 departure card. Some immigration offices may want more copies of you old passport pages.

You not need to line up early to do the stamp transfer at CM immigration. It is not the same as applying for a one year extension.

As usual, thank for the actuate information Ubonjoe!

It will be nice if CM works as UbonJoe states but not the way it went for me at CW Bangkok. I arrived at about 10 AM expecting a quick transfer of extention to new passport. The que officer insisted I must get a que number for the Non-O extension desks (L area in CW) and wait my turn. At 3PM my number finally came up. Out the door ten minutes later, tired and unhappy I did this rather than waiting until I had other busines at CW Immigration. Hope it goes better for you in CM.

I replied to the OP's same question on a thread in the CM forum. Yes, he is going to need to arrive before 7 am to get into queue no. 3 in the parking lot. It's a different queue than the ones for the visa extensions, but it's still a several hour wait to transfer stamps into a new passport.

You definitely need your old and new passport, copies of your original visa and every extension, that form and don't forget the letter from the Embassy/Consulate asking Immigration to transfer the stamps.

This used to be much quicker in CM, but like everything in that office it's turned into a grueling exercise.

• Like 1

I replied to the OP's same question on a thread in the CM forum. Yes, he is going to need to arrive before 7 am to get into queue no. 3 in the parking lot. It's a different queue than the ones for the visa extensions, but it's still a several hour wait to transfer stamps into a new passport.

You definitely need your old and new passport, copies of your original visa and every extension, that form and don't forget the letter from the Embassy/Consulate asking Immigration to transfer the stamps.

This used to be much quicker in CM, but like everything in that office it's turned into a grueling exercise.

"You definitely need your old and new passport..."

Yes.

Just to add, there are no charges for transferring the stamps. Really speeds things up having old passport with you.

"Really speeds things up having old passport with you."

When I did it, they wanted both the old and new passport. Doubt they would have accepted the application without them both or a police report if the old one was lost/stolen. They get the info regarding current extension, original visa used for entry, re-entry permit etc from the old passport.

Edited by Suradit69

Just had mine done last week.

No need for letter of your embassy if your passpoort say this is a replacment for passpoort number ......

The Que line was way to long for me so i went to an assist office.

They had someone in there with a lot of different Que numbers.

Paid 1500 bath and was in and out in 1 hour.

To bad it have to be like this with these agency's taking up the ques and time.

Sorry i helped them but i was short of time.

not trolling or anything, but ...

the old visa to new passport was kinda stopped ?

last time i read was ... you get new passport, you do all your papers for a new extention of stay, no more transfert of visa / extention ...

would be kind of crazy and stupid if your visa expires not even 2 months later, right ?

I am in this position, waiting for my new passport and tought immigration told me, the day after I get my passport, I should come and have all my yearly paperwork with me ....

confuzed !

last time i read was ... you get new passport, you do all your papers for a new extention of stay, no more transfert of visa / extention ...

would be kind of crazy and stupid if your visa expires not even 2 months later, right ?

I am in this position, waiting for my new passport and tought immigration told me, the day after I get my passport, I should come and have all my yearly paperwork with me ....

confuzed !

They still transfer the stamps.

The new rule (August of 2013) is if you have less than 12 month left on your passport validity when you apply for an extension they only give you an extension to the date your passport expires. Then when you get your new passport and have your stamps transferred to it you then have to apply for an extension when the shortened extension ends.

"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day."

• Like 2

Remember to get a letter from your embassy clarifying that you have changed passport from no. xxxxxxxx to passport no. yyyyyyyy.

It is a relatively easy process. In my case they wanted photocopies of all pages in my old passport.

I had to do mine in Nan immigration. They wanted copies of all the pages from my old passport, plus to fill-in the transfer form. After about 45 mins I was called up and the woman asked if I had an embassy letter I showed her the package I had received containing my new passport with all the information stating that it came from the UK plus the leaflets put inside to help us ex-pats out. She accepted it and then missed the first page of my passport and started stamping like mad over 2 whole pages. When she had finished, I thanked her as I really wanted to have to apply for a new passport again soon as I did not like my new passport pic. She had no sense of humor, but the service was free. Altogether for a 6 hour drive there and back I was shocked to have to wait 1 hour to be processed. Plus some poor Laos national who had been caught by the BIB was placed next to us as the police and immigration looked unsure what to do but scratch their asses.

When i got my new passport i vent to immigration in Korat. They sent me back home and said i can doo it with my

yearly extension 3 month later.

So two weeks ago i was there again an they did the change and new yearly visa and reentry and 90 days at the same time.

It took the guy 3 hours but now i have my freedom for another year

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just to add, there are no charges for transferring the stamps. Really speeds things up having old passport with you.

CM.... it's still a several hour wait to transfer stamps into a new passport.

don't forget the letter from the Embassy/Consulate asking Immigration to transfer the stamps.

Did that stamps transfer now 3 times always into Emergency temporary max - 1 year valid Passports.

Once long time ago, 2003? in Bangkok Immigration. Was fast. (GF took my Passport, without me notice, before I left to my other GF, she thought, I could not leave TH than. I just reported the Passport missing.)

2012 and 2013 into a temporary emergency Passport in Udon Thani Immigration, never had

"the letter from the Embassy/Consulate asking Immigration to transfer the stamps" .with me, and was also never asked for such.

Last time, I was asked for 500.- Baht for that deed. Same my GF was last time asked for some"soup" money for an extensions of stay on for having Thai children on top of a Non Immigrant O.

confuzed !

The new rule (August of 2013) is if you have less than 12 month left on your passport validity when you apply for an extension they only give you an extension to the date your passport expires. Then when you get your new passport and have your stamps transferred to it you then have to apply for an extension when the shortened extension ends.

"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day."

I'm a little confused by your statement above. You say they "still transfer stamps" but then go on to say that "obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht )." . That appears to be contradictory.

So for example if I have 6 months left on my passport and get a new one, will they transfer the Extension of Stay" stamp from old to new? if so, your secondary statement seems incorrect when it says "you have to reapply ...."

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the great advice and info, just need to be clear on this one.

Oh yeah, there also seems to be some confusion as to whether or not you need an Embassy letter? I'd rather not line the pockets of the embassy for another ridiculously over priced piece of paper if I can help it.....

Edited by cyborgx

I'm a little confused by your statement above. You say they "still transfer stamps" but then go on to say that "obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht )." . That appears to be contradictory.

So for example if I have 6 months left on my passport and get a new one, will they transfer the Extension of Stay" stamp from old to new? if so, your secondary statement seems incorrect when it says "you have to reapply ...."

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the great advice and info, just need to be clear on this one.

Oh yeah, there also seems to be some confusion as to whether or not you need an Embassy letter? I'd rather not line the pockets of the embassy for another ridiculously over priced piece of paper if I can help it.....

The will do an annotation of your visa and transfer your extension of stay stamp (visas are not extended). But the extension stamp will be the one that is only 6 months long.

Before that 6 month extension ends you must apply all over again to get the full one year extension using a new income letter.

The only way to avoid having to get 2 income letters is to renew your passport before you apply for the extension.

Remember to get a letter from your embassy clarifying that you have changed passport from no. xxxxxxxx to passport no. yyyyyyyy.

It is a relatively easy process. In my case they wanted photocopies of all pages in my old passport.

I gather that the US Embassy issues such letters as a matter of course - unlike their UK counterpart which has to be specifically asked for one!sad.png

Once the stamps have been transfered to a new PP, do you ever need to show your old PP with the original visa in.?

Does Phibun require an Embassy letter regarding a new PP or can/does Trendy give us UK chaps some sort of paperwork.?

Once the stamps have been transfered to a new PP, do you ever need to show your old PP with the original visa in.?

Does Phibun require an Embassy letter regarding a new PP or can/does Trendy give us UK chaps some sort of paperwork.?

No need for your old passport once stamps are transferred.

Not sure about about Phibun. I had a letter from my embassy gave me without asking for it that I included with the request for stamp transfer and they did give it back to me.

Trendy does not provide the letter You have to go to the UK embassy to get the letter. From reports they do it while you wait and it is free.

• Like 1

It's still a good idea to retain your old passport. For starters, right after you get your immigration stamps transferred you should go to your Thai banks and have them change your passport number on all your accounts. That could save you a headache if you go to close out the account.

Think about all the other times you've had your passport number recorded for identity -- drivers license, rental/lease contracts, Final Will, witnessing contracts, etc. If you have to ever prove identity and someone wants to get really p*ssy because you're now showing them a passport with a different number than before, you'd better be prepared to produce the previous passport.

Edited by NancyL

It's still a good idea to retain your old passport. For starters, right after you get your immigration stamps transferred you should go to your Thai banks and have them change your passport number on all your accounts. That could save you a headache if you go to close out the account.

Think about all the other times you've had your passport number recorded for identity -- drivers license, rental/lease contracts, Final Will, witnessing contracts, etc. If you have to ever prove identity and someone wants to get really p*ssy because you're now showing them a passport with a different number than before, you'd better be prepared to produce the previous passport.

He was not told to trash his old passport just that it was not needed for immigration.

To me it is common sense you will need it for other things here until you get them all changed.

You should get the stamps transferred as soon as possible after you get the new passport. I don't think they will let you do it with your extension appointment.

Immigration does not transfer visas. They will do an annotation of the visa you used for the entry you have been getting extended and the most recent extension of stay stamp.

You will need this form http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_transferstamp.pdf

FYI I just tried using this form and they informed me it was the wrong one.

I had to go back and fill in a more official-looking form which requested exactly the same information.

I checked the immigration website and they don't seem to have the new form up yet so you might as well just go and fill it in at the immigration office.

(All of ubonjoe's other info was accurate and very helpful.)

I had to go back and fill in a more official-looking form which requested exactly the same information.

I checked the immigration website and they don't seem to have the new form up yet so you might as well just go and fill it in at the immigration office.

Some offices have their own form. The downloadable form is addressed to division one.

My office accepted the downloaded form.

No need for your old passport once stamps are transferred.

Not sure about about Phibun. I had a letter from my embassy gave me without asking for it that I included with the request for stamp transfer and they did give it back to me.

Trendy does not provide the letter You have to go to the UK embassy to get the letter. From reports they do it while you wait and it is free.

British Embassy in BKK will do the transfer pro-forma based on your email instructions and will then ems it to your home FOC.

So no need to visit the embassy for this.

A few weeks ago i had to apply for my new one-year visa. My passport was shortly to expire in 7 months. The Immigration officer explained to me that I will get the visa only until the expired date of the passport. This is 7 months. After I gave all the papers and paid the amount of 1900 bht, he told me that I have to wait 1-2 weeks to get the visa stamp. Reason was because of waiting for a confirmation from Immigration in Bangkok or Korat i think. After this i thought it maybe would only depend on the validity of the passport to get the 1 year visa stamp. But because i wasn't shure, i went again to the Immigration Office to inquire if i would benefit from a new Passport and get a full 1 year visa. The Officer who handled my Visa application was not there but two other Officers said that i would benefit and i should do it. That is why I decided to get a new passport while I was waiting for the new visa. After 10 days I had my new passport and shortly thereafter I also received the invitation from the Immigration to obtain the new visa. I went there with my old and new Passport. After all the stamps were transfer from old to new , I realized that the new one-year visa was made just for 7 months. The officer explained to me that I made the application for the visa with my old passport therefore he could not give me a one year visa in my new passport.

only misunderstandingssad.png

Some offices have their own form. The downloadable form is addressed to division one.

My office accepted the downloaded form.

The office I went to was Chaengwattana Division 1.

confuzed !

UbonJoe,

Now I'm confused. My old passport was valid to 2017. I had simply run out of visa pages and opted for a new passport for $110 instead of new passport pages for $85. My new passport is valid to 2025. Other than the four holes in the old passport, all the visa extensions, stamps, departure cards, and 90 day report are up to date and valid. And I have a new valid passport plus the notarized letter from the CM US Consulate.

So in reality, what law is stopping me from simply waiting until my April 2nd yearly marriage extension to just hand in both the extension paperwork and the passport transfer paperwork? I'm just trying to understand what I'm missing here, and your knowledge is leaps and bounds beyond mine. Thanks!

connda;

i was in the same , just got a new passport (US) last week valid till 2025;

other one was valid till 2018 but after 2 extra sets of pages only 1blank page left :-)

I am going to transfer my stamp ( 1st entry non o stamp and re entry permit an all the writing they put in) next week and than in June get my next extension.

You could i guess do it all at the same time BUT

Better not to confuse them here in Phuket

• Like 1

UbonJoe,

Now I'm confused. My old passport was valid to 2017. I had simply run out of visa pages and opted for a new passport for $110 instead of new passport pages for $85. My new passport is valid to 2025. Other than the four holes in the old passport, all the visa extensions, stamps, departure cards, and 90 day report are up to date and valid. And I have a new valid passport plus the notarized letter from the CM US Consulate.

So in reality, what law is stopping me from simply waiting until my April 2nd yearly marriage extension to just hand in both the extension paperwork and the passport transfer paperwork? I'm just trying to understand what I'm missing here, and your knowledge is leaps and bounds beyond mine. Thanks!

Immigration's policy is that you should do it as soon as possible.

At some large offices the stamp transfer and extensions are done at different desks which could mean having to get 2 numbers.

A problem that could arise is if you had an unplanned trip came up and you needed to leave the country. You could well have problems at departure immigration without having the stamps transferred.

You also would need both passports with you if you were out and about and was asked for your passport.

• Like 1

connda;

i was in the same , just got a new passport (US) last week valid till 2025;

other one was valid till 2018 but after 2 extra sets of pages only 1blank page left :-)

I am going to transfer my stamp ( 1st entry non o stamp and re entry permit an all the writing they put in) next week and than in June get my next extension.

You could i guess do it all at the same time BUT

Better not to confuse them here in Phuket

Yeah, I just bit the bullet yesterday, printed out all the necessary documents, and showed up at CM immigration at 1:30pm. We were the second to the last people out the door at about 5pm. I've never seen the inside of CM Immigration with only 4 customers in the waiting room: Me, my wife, and two other men. Well, on the bright side, won't need to do that exercise in boredom for another 10 years Lol. Three and a half hours to process 11 people. Amazing Thailand! biggrin.png

Edited by connda