Fire damages three stories of SCB head office, fire fighter killed

Lite Beer

Fire damages three stories of SCB head office, fire fighter killed

BANGKOK: -- A massive fire broke out on the tenth floor of the Siam Commercial Bank and quickly spread to the eleventh and ninth floor late Saturday night before it was put out early Sunday. One fire fighter suffocated.

The fire broke out on the tenth floor of the 37-floor Zone A building of the SCB Park at 10 pm. Fire fighters and fire engines could control the blaze by 1:10 am Sunday.

Police said the body of a voluntary fire fighter, Decha Duanchana, was found on the seventh floor at 4:50 am. He went missing shortly after the first teams of fire fighter were sent up to the tenth floor.

Fire fighting officials said about ten fire fighters of the first groups passed out because their oxygen tanks ran out but they were rescued in time, except Decha who went missing

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Fire-damages-three-stories-of-SCB-head-office-fire-30253627.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-08

I thought these new glass-clad high-rise office buildings had smoke detectors and sprinklers, but in this case the fire apparently spread to 3 floors(!) ..... obviously the systems not well maintained/not effective.

Weird that 10 firemen ran out of "oxygen" and passed out .... with one dying.

• Like 2

And another person dies to cover up corruption at the highest levels.

I hope the family of the deceased sue the Bangkok Governor for not supplying adequate equipment to deal with the things they have to deal with.

I'll await the news that important records have now been consumed in the fire and a number of cases can now no longer proceed.

• Like 2

One dies at a fire at SCB Park building

2-8-2015-9-57-02-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- One volunteer was killed when he tried to help fire fighters in controlling fire at the SCB Park building in Ratchayothin area early Sunday morning.

The Laksi volunteer, Mr Decha Duangchana, went into the building which is also the head office of Siam Commercial Bank to help fight the fire at about 3 am and lost contact with the other volunteers until two hours later when his body was found on the 10th floor of the building.

Fire-fighters and volunteers have been trying to get rid of smoke inside the building with expectation that the job will be accomplished by noon after which the building will be closed for inspection.

SCB chief executive officer Vichit Surapongchai said the 10th floor was used to store copying machines not documents or computers. He said that the bank would open to work as usual on Monday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-dies-fire-scb-park-building

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-08

Police said the body of a voluntary fire fighter, Decha Duanchana, was found on the seventh floor at 4:50 am. He went missing shortly after the first teams of fire fighter were sent up to the tenth floor.

T^he Nation

The Laksi volunteer, Mr Decha Duangchana, went into the building which is also the head office of Siam Commercial Bank to help fight the fire at about 3 am and lost contact with the other volunteers until two hours later when his body was found on the 10th floor of the building.

Thai PBS

They don't seem to agree on which floor the victim was found.

RIP mate.

Sorry to hear a man died in this fire, especially since for the sake of some better equipment he may still be alive.

This may well have been an accident and not a cover to destroy incriminating evidence like the floods were a few years ago.

Sorry to hear a man died in this fire, especially since for the sake of some better equipment he may still be alive.

This may well have been an accident and not a cover to destroy incriminating evidence like the floods were a few years ago.

Actually it has been done on purpose to destroy incriminating evidence.

One only has to look at this link. I am inclined to agree with the above poster on this one.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/about-scb/investor-relations/company-information/shareholder-structure

And another person dies to cover up corruption at the highest levels.

I hope the family of the deceased sue the Bangkok Governor for not supplying adequate equipment to deal with the things they have to deal with.

I'll await the news that important records have now been consumed in the fire and a number of cases can now no longer proceed.

Oh dear looks like someone was getting to close to the information regarding SCB offshore accounts in the British Vrgin Islands.

Embezzment of 1.8 billion baht was a good reason to start a fire and destroy evidence- http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/KMITL-ups-pressure-on-SCB-to-submit-all-documents--30253584.html

its hard to see that there is no connection, but its not only that one, there is also the cib head and his extensive connections/network that could also be scb customers.

Edited by rabid old goat

I thought these new glass-clad high-rise office buildings had smoke detectors and sprinklers, but in this case the fire apparently spread to 3 floors(!) ..... obviously the systems not well maintained/not effective.

Weird that 10 firemen ran out of "oxygen" and passed out .... with one dying.

Evidently the sprinkler systems were not activated. The =compressed air= tanks only last a short time and even less if worn too soon to actually needing them; add the fact that being scared (natural) causes you to exhaust the air tanks too fast. It seems that the firefighter was a volunteer and did not have an air tank. He may not have had sufficient training for a high rise fire. He tried to help---RIP. May I remind everyone reading this that 343 brave NYC firefighters were killed on 911 and didn't have a chance because of extenuating circumstances.

• Like 2

My condolences to K. Decha's family and friends. I wonder if he had rescued some key KMITL documents from being burned in the fire, and somehow mysteriously met his death descending the stairs down from the 10th floor?

bah.gif This comment is just stupid. Firefighters are no concerned with 'rescuing' documents when you are surrounded with fire!

One only has to look at this link. I am inclined to agree with the above poster on this one.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/about-scb/investor-relations/company-information/shareholder-structure

SCB chief executive officer Vichit Surapongchai said the 10th floor was used to store copying machines not documents or computers. He said that the bank would open to work as usual on Monday.