A magical tour of coffee, strawberries and natural wonders (Hang Dong restaurants in the hills)

WinnieTheKhwai

I got lost and found this backroad a while back... So today after reading your post my partner and I set out on motorbike to re explore... Our goal was to have lunch at Tor Fan Tawan Suay... We took the back road you mentioned... Great scenery and casual motor biking with only the occasional bike cyclist... And the Samoeng junction We saw a beautiful chedi on the hill top... See pick below... Nice road all paved but steep at times... The place under construction... They are building a huge chedi over the old one... The place is deserted accept a few workers...

Now we set out for the lunch spot... With their Facebook/Google map we ended up on a dirt road to nowhere... Next was to return to your instruction above but immediately realized that your landmark of a sharp turn in the road was like telling us to turn after the 7-11... Never fear back the Facebook (the whole area has 3G! ;-))...called the resturant... My Thai partner talks the owner circling the terrain... Again we set off and after about 20 minutes on the road I remember that Thais as a race have NO ability to give or receive directions... Rather than trying another call and have anyone lose face we headed back and had delicious lunch at the Royal Project resturant.... Thanks for the tip - we had a great day in paradise...

post-23568-0-69169400-1423382116_thumb.j

post-23568-0-11583900-1423382144_thumb.j

post-23568-0-39031400-1423382170_thumb.j

post-23568-0-60469100-1423382210_thumb.j

post-23568-0-67013500-1423382234_thumb.j

post-23568-0-92291700-1423382268_thumb.j

post-23568-0-88259500-1423382302_thumb.j

post-23568-0-55567100-1423382387_thumb.j

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

Perhaps this could be a pinned topic, great post , TV at it's best.

Yes, pinning would be a great idea.

Even nicer would be a Google earth map, highlighting those places, and attaching it to the article.

Easier once you've been there, but first time, a map is a big help.

We have been taking advantage of these coffee/restaurant options for some time as it not far from our home in Hang Dong.Its amazing how popular they have become in a short time.I guess its

been mostly word of mouth as we mostly see younger Thais in the majority and many motor bike riders. Previously we made some half hearted appraisals of available land out that way, its tripled in

value in 5 years.

• Like 1

You might want to check out the GT Rider Mae Sa - Samoeng Loop map as it has quite a few of the places on the map, & give you a bit of an idea where everything is out that way.

Anyone know where to get one of these maps?

Most bookshops in Chiang Mai should have it.

Suriwong

Backstreet

Gecko

Bookzone

Lost Bookstore

On The ROad Books

+ a few of the motorbike rental shops.

Its probably the best map for the immediate Chiang Mai environs, not just the Mae Sa Valley Samoeng Loop.

• Like 1