Vehicle discounts

Chongalulu

In correct in regards to Isuzu and Chevy relationship. To this very day, they share many parts. Of course you wont believe me even though I physically checked all the models when I was shopping last year....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_D-Max

Much like the BT50/Ranger part sharing that is as far as the relationship goes. To say Izuzu is Chev or vica versa is complete fairy land stuff.

GM dumped all of their Izuzu stock when they went bankrupt in 2008, only just recently have the 2 gone back into partnership and that is building the Duramax (DMax) engines and GM own 60% of that relationship.

It seems you just contradicted yourself " complete fairy land stuff " " just recently have the 2 gone back into partnership " Like the other poster said they might not be completely the same but do use parts.

In correct in regards to Isuzu and Chevy relationship. To this very day, they share many parts. Of course you wont believe me even though I physically checked all the models when I was shopping last year....

Much like the BT50/Ranger part sharing that is as far as the relationship goes. To say Izuzu is Chev or vica versa is complete fairy land stuff.

GM dumped all of their Izuzu stock when they went bankrupt in 2008, only just recently have the 2 gone back into partnership and that is building the Duramax (DMax) engines and GM own 60% of that relationship.

It seems you just contradicted yourself " complete fairy land stuff " " just recently have the 2 gone back into partnership " Like the other poster said they might not be completely the same but do use parts.

they partnered again to build engines, not pickups.

And where are these engines being placed? All I'm saying is there are share designs. When a part goes out on their engines like water pump, starter they can be interchanged. If Chevy does not have one in stock they go to Isuzu?

Personally, these days there is so many partnerships, Chevy, Isuzu, Ford / Mazda, etc.. I grew up buying American because basically that was all they had at that time and we who owned them know how shitty they were made. Today, when I see a Chevy or Ford on the road particular Ford I love the designs and although both are made in Thailand I still have lots of ???? about buying one no matter who they partner with?

Thanks.

Regardless of what the internet might say, the alliance between Chev and Isuzu for the D-Max/Colorado has never been interrupted since it began. In Gen1, Isuzu supplied everything except for the Chev badges. In Gen2 though (current) Isuzu supplied the chassis, GM did all the coachwork, and each went their own way on powertrain - they are sharing less, but still sharing a lot.

They never stopped being partners and they dont build engines together. That is the major difference in the 2 companies, engines and power trains. They do share many of the same body parts. When I was shopping I did many comparisons. Dash and other internal panels are same on both vehicles with only minor added ornaments. Dont believe me just go look at the trucks

• Like 1

It is generally accepted that the Isuzu engine is better ...more frugal ... than the Chevy. Such a pity that Isuzu haven't come up with a 6 speed box yet.

Interested/ surprised to hear that as having downloaded Chevrolet Colorado brochure (all in English) I formed the impression that the 2.8 Chevrolet engine vs 3.0 Isuzu seemed more advanced. 200 horsepower vs 177 from smaller engine DOHC and variable vane turbo. Apart from horsepower can't really ascertain from Isuzu brochure (mostly in Thai) exactly how it compares so basing my opinion on the fact that smaller more powerful diesels tend to be more advanced,so happy to be further educated especially as I was revising my initial favouring of the Isuzu towards the Chevrolet (6 speed another factor) and quite impressed by the facts on their brochure ( much better than Isuzu brochure). Happy to have more feedback from owners of current models

they dont build engines together.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/company_info/facilities/powertrain/dmax.html

It is generally accepted that the Isuzu engine is better ...more frugal ... than the Chevy. Such a pity that Isuzu haven't come up with a 6 speed box yet.

Interested/ surprised to hear that as having downloaded Chevrolet Colorado brochure (all in English) I formed the impression that the 2.8 Chevrolet engine vs 3.0 Isuzu seemed more advanced. 200 horsepower vs 177 from smaller engine DOHC and variable vane turbo. Apart from horsepower can't really ascertain from Isuzu brochure (mostly in Thai) exactly how it compares so basing my opinion on the fact that smaller more powerful diesels tend to be more advanced,so happy to be further educated especially as I was revising my initial favouring of the Isuzu towards the Chevrolet (6 speed another factor) and quite impressed by the facts on their brochure ( much better than Isuzu brochure). Happy to have more feedback from owners of current models
Addendum. The wife has warned about depreciation/ resale values of Chevrolet vs Isuzu which is a valid factor when assessing total running costs. May I request some informed opinion (or better still actual experience) re difference between the two in this respect. I know second hand values are very high here (especially Isuzu?)

Addendum. The wife has warned about depreciation/ resale values of Chevrolet vs Isuzu which is a valid factor when assessing total running costs. May I request some informed opinion (or better still actual experience) re difference between the two in this respect. I know second hand values are very high here (especially Isuzu?)

Just look around the used car sites ;)

If buying used, there's no better bargain than Colorado..

I am biased but I think the new navara with 7 speed tranny that produces 190up from its 2.5 or even the new 2.4 triton make more sense than the 2,8 Chevy or 3.2 ranger that produce 200hp

Unless you are buying the truck foe work everyday, buy the one you like vs thinking about the resale so much. I have seen 2 yr old rangers and isuzus that have been driven into the ground already and 7 year old vigos that look as good as new.

Depending on how much you want to use it, the fuel consumption could be interesting to look at.

Most of the standard pick-ups and their SUV equivalents are gas guzzlers and rather low on safety.

The more economical cars are often terrible overpriced here.

I've done some looking around now and if I would replace my Vigo now I would buy a Mazda CX5 Diesel. It's in the same price range as the Fortuner, CRV, MUX, but has a lot better mileage and modern safety features that the others lack.

I visited a Mazda dealer and whilst he didn't have one to look at the price is 1.6 million,which is significantly more than the others and would not put the brand,which is Ford oriented, on a par with Honda. I don't doubt it is a good vehicle and agree with you on fuel consumption issue but doubt I would recoup the extra cost notwithstanding the brand perception effect in a resale scenario. Yes,it's weirdly counterintuitive re the safety facts on a big SUVs vs cars. Thanks for your helpful and intelligent comment though

Mazda >> the brand,which is Ford oriented,<<. WHAT?

You didn't know that? Chevy is also Isuzu,

Another 2.1% like Ford LOL

Chevrolet Colorado is all new for this year. It is truck of the year in USA and will use same platform world wide. The sport model is just right for me and as far as resale I'm not selling so no issue. Good luck in search for what suit you.

Wow really, All new ?

Was only 3 years ago they released the "all new" Colorado and normally they will run a platform for 10 years or more with facelifts along the way.

I wonder why they have gone all new again in such a short timeframe ?

For the life of me why do work horse pickups need 6 or 7 gears, or are there so called modern diesels totally lacking torque? 5 gears should be plenty.

The never ending quest for fuel efficiency.

How the hell will changing gear more often save fuel?????

For the life of me why do work horse pickups need 6 or 7 gears, or are there so called modern diesels totally lacking torque? 5 gears should be plenty.

hmmm i am by no means a mechanic or car expert - i just drive em, however if one has higher rpms between say 5 gears compared to say 7 gears does that not mean the engine is working harder sometimes and probably burning more fuel??? I dont honestly know but this is what I guess. Will wait for Warpy to come along to 1) provide us with his insight 2) wait for the inevitable arguments and suspensions (not springs and shocks) lol

Quite simple really!

Engines have an optimum rev range for the best fuel efficiency, under revving (Labouring the engine.) or over revving the engine uses more fuel than is necessary, and can lead to emmisions regulations violation in some countries. If your vehicle has a rev counter it probably has coloured bands, you should aim to keep the needle in the green band as much as possible, having more gears makes this easier.

The 6 and 7 gears thing is new to me, on cars that is, (Large goods vehicles have 12 gears on average.), I can only put that down to the habit of overloading cars, or the Thai habit of dring at snails pace, both of which can be alleviated by having a greater range of gears to stop the engine labouring or over revving

On the large vehicles I drive back home they have automated gear boxes (Not automatic, that's something entirely different.) with a processor deciding when to change gear based on maintaining the optimum rev range. It operates the cluck and shifts gear, but it is possible to select manual option allowing me to decide when to change gear. I only use the option when I think the processor might get it wrong, like a steep hill immeadiatly after pulling away, as they haven't yet installed video input into the processor control.