Australian PM Abbott survives leadership test

webfact

Australian prime minister survives leadership challenge
ROD McGUIRK, Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia's beleaguered Prime Minister Tony Abbott survived an internal government challenge to his leadership on Monday, despite a revolt by dozens of colleagues that leaves him politically damaged.

A meeting of lawmakers in the ruling conservative Liberal Party voted 61 to 39 to reject a motion that called for a ballot for party leader and deputy, party whip Philip Ruddock reported after the brief meeting.

Abbott needed a stronger show of support from his colleagues to ward off potential future challenges if the government continues to endure sagging approval ratings in opinion polls.

But he said later that he should stay in charge of the government until voters decide his fate in elections next year.

"We want to end the disunity and the uncertainty which destroyed two Labor governments and give you the good government that you deserve," Abbott said in a video statement, referring to the center-left Labor Party that dumped prime ministers in similar internal struggles in 2010 and 2013.

"We think that when you elect a government, when you elect a prime minister, you deserve to keep that government and that prime minister until you have a chance to change your mind," he added.

The challenge showed that 39 of 102 Liberal lawmakers wanted a change at the helm, even though no one had officially announced he or she was willing to stand against Abbott.

It came halfway through Abbott's first 3-year term as prime minister. His party has never dumped a first-term prime minister.

The challenge to Abbott's leadership — a "spill motion" that declares the party leadership open to any candidates in a ballot — was triggered by disgruntled government lawmakers last week and was to be discussed Tuesday at the year's first scheduled Liberal Party meeting.

But Abbott on Sunday arranged a special meeting for Monday morning, leaving some lawmakers scrambling to book earlier flights to Canberra, and giving his opponents less time to garner support to topple him.

The internal tussle came as an opinion poll published in The Australian newspaper on Monday showed that Abbott's popularity had reached its lowest point in his five years as party leader.

The poll found that only 24 percent of respondents were satisfied with the prime minister's performance while 68 percent were dissatisfied.

His conservative coalition government lagged behind the Labor opposition with 43 percent of respondents favoring the government and 57 percent supporting Labor.

The poll was based on a nationwide, random telephone survey over the weekend of 1,178 voters. It has a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

If the motion had passed Monday, the positions of prime minister and his deputy, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, would have been declared open. There would then have been secret ballots of Liberal Party lawmakers later Monday to either return Abbott and Bishop or replace them.

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who led the party in opposition until he lost by a single vote to the more conservative Abbott in a 2009 leadership ballot, is touted as the favorite to replace the prime minister if there is another challenge.

Abbott has come under increasing criticism from some members of his own party — which is conservative despite its name — over the government's sagging approval ratings. Polls have slumped since May, when the government's first annual budget was widely criticized as being toughest on the poor and most vulnerable.

Recently, he drew widespread criticism by making Queen Elizabeth II's 93-year-old husband, Prince Philip, an Australian knight on Australia's national day. Many saw it as an insult to worthy Australians.

Public dislike of Abbott has been blamed in part for big election losses for conservative governments in Victoria state in November and Queensland state last month.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-09

A huge win for the opposition. Dumb Dumb's popularity amongst the people is at a record low of 26% and will certainly lead his party a political record landslide defeat. He is definately a one term tool.

There's 18 months to go before that happens. Let's wait and see, and if he goes before then or at the elections, then you can have your glee party. I love how you anonymous heroes carry on with your vitriol. You must have a fascinating life. A Melburnian are we?

• Like 1

Time scales tighten. The clock is ticking and the Libs may mace just made a serious error.

Surely they are not going to hand this to the morons running the ALP, so that shorten and his mates can continue destroying Australia's future because they will take off from where RUDD GILLARD RUDD left off.

Australia is DOOMED Under the ALP !

I agree whole heartedly about the ALP. However, I don't think the LNP has made an error. LNP voters prefer Abbott 54% to 40% over Turnbull, even Julie Bishop is more popular. A man who wants to be PM, yet never had the guts to put his hand up. No look at all the left wing media go after Abbott and make merry that he only got 61 to 39 to kill the spill. You know, if Tony Abbott wore a mismatched tie tomorrow, this would make headlines and all the lefty know it all's on here would go into a feeding frenzy.

At this stage, I think that the LNP need to prosecute what the ALP did in almost destroying Australia and then keep telling the people this and also some of the good things that the government has brought about. You would find, if only ALP voters were polled, as to who they would prefer as the leader of the LNP, you would find they'd vote for that left leaning backstabbing darling of the Greenies. I do not has this as a guess as I listen to may talk back shows in Australia and this is the consensus of those who ring in and proclaim they are labourites.

• Like 1

Time scales tighten. The clock is ticking and the Libs may mace just made a serious error.

Surely they are not going to hand this to the morons running the ALP, so that shorten and his mates can continue destroying Australia's future because they will take off from where RUDD GILLARD RUDD left off.

I'm listening, and agree 100%. ALP has no plans, will introduce a budget that will make Australia South East Asia's poor cousin. All members of the ALP speak only in platitudes and cliché , adding nothing intelligent to a discussion other than generalizations. Both the leader of the opposition and Gillard were members of the CPA in their university years, they cannot be trusted.

Edited by Mot Dang
  • Like 1

I'm listening, and agree 100%. ALP has no plans, will introduce a budget that will make Australia South East Asia's poor cousin. All members of the ALP speak only in platitudes and cliché , adding nothing intelligent to a discussion other than generalizations. Both the leader of the opposition and Gillard were members of the CPA in their university years, they cannot be trusted.

ah getting worried! liberal budget will bury your friends chance of re election. Doubtful Abbot will fight the next election he's dead within his own party.
  • Like 1

ah getting worried! liberal budget will bury your friends chance of re election. Doubtful Abbot will fight the next election he's dead within his own party.

Abbott is no friend of mine.

Unless they get rid of Abbott for Turnbull They will hand power over to the ALP next election for sure. As far as Australia being DOOMED under the ALP well the Australian economy isn't fairing too well under this government is it. I mean <deleted> AUD to Baht 24.60 lowest currency in the western world.

61 to 39, Dead? let's wait and see. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

A huge win for the opposition. Dumb Dumb's popularity amongst the people is at a record low of 26% and will certainly lead his party a political record landslide defeat. He is definately a one term tool.

There's 18 months to go before that happens. Let's wait and see, and if he goes before then or at the elections, then you can have your glee party. I love how you anonymous heroes carry on with your vitriol. You must have a fascinating life. A Melburnian are we?

Haha, anytime I need a chuckle I just say to myself "Melbourne, the Paris of the south".

hahahahaha

The sad part is in these uncertain political times voters are struck with fear and will stay with the devil they know rather than vote for change. Its all part of the circle of fear world wide generated by politicians. Casting fear among the voters is the main weapon in a politicians tool bag. Canada has an election in October of this year and I fear the voters are so fear struck they will hold their nose and vote Conservative as change during uncertain times poses risk in their fear ridden minds. Politicians have learned how to herd us to benefit their rich task masters. Our minds are constantly bombarded with what movie stars are doing, which high priced athalite is signing a mega million contract, which hot cars are the ones to buy, over seas wars (to show how well they are protecting us) and it goes on and on. Its called the fear factor

• Like 1

A big mistake by the Libs.

Abbot will lead them to disaster.

The biggest problem is that there is NO party in the Country that is able to govern.

Australia does not stand alone in this matter. There is no country in the world with a party fit to govern. One step would be to get away from a 2 party system and make the governing party form a coalition.

Haha, anytime I need a chuckle I just say to myself "Melbourne, the Paris of the south".

hahahahaha

We normally call hem Mexicans. You know, south of he border, down Mexico way.

Unless they get rid of Abbott for Turnbull They will hand power over to the ALP next election for sure. As far as Australia being DOOMED under the ALP well the Australian economy isn't fairing too well under this government is it. I mean <deleted> AUD to Baht 24.60 lowest currency in the western world.

I remember the days when it was under 20 baht to the buck. I think 18 but my old head forgets stuff.

The Australian dollar is too high at 90 cents to the usd. Our exports struggle there,70something is better for them. Nobody cares about retired ild expats trying to live off 3 brazois.

I remember the days when it was under 20 baht to the buck. I think 18 but my old head forgets stuff.

The Australian dollar is too high at 90 cents to the usd. Our exports struggle there,70something is better for them. Nobody cares about retired ild expats trying to live off 3 brazois.

• Like 1

hahahahaha

others still haven't got over the hurt that Melbourne was the original capital of Australia.

The mining tax was the start of a good plan. Not really going far enough. No support from the Libs of course. They were too busy playing populist politics

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Doomed to the black hole near Uranus?

• Like 1

Victorian actually, not Melbourne but know an idiot when I see one. Have you ever looked at Abbotts walk, his arms hang like a gorilla, he waddles like a duck and his tongue pretudes like a hungry lizard. His answer to everything if can string two words together is sh1t happens and why aren't the bitches and homo's in the kitchen or doing the ironing. Oh and Jesus loves us all. Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

61 to 39, Dead? let's wait and see. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

yeah because without the so called"executive vote" compelled to vote for the leader he would have lost.
  • Like 1

Well what happened to you soothsayers. You've all had your little laugh and no matter what happens you will keep on denigrating the PM for every reason in the lefties handbook. You never provide anything positive to the forum, no matter what the subject is. Your responses are always negative just typical bagging and trying to outdo each other with your vitriol. One thing you all seem to forget is that regardless of who is the PM at the time, respect should be shown for the office. . Now it's my turn to have a laugh for all the clap trap you little lefties spew forth during your feeding frenzy. 5555555555555. If you want to give me a spray, feel free, I can feel it coming in bucket loads.

Kingalfred.

I see, so you know what happened in a secret ballot do you? You know as much about the vote as I do, so give us a break with your non intellectual views. The secret ballot enables the backstabbers to act without fear or favour, so how in the hell can you make such a ludicrous statement?