Jordan says it launched 56 airstrikes against Islamic State

webfact

By MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — Jordan has launched 56 airstrikes against Islamic State group weapons depots, training centers and military barracks since militants released a video of them burning a Jordanian pilot to death, Jordan's air force chief said Sunday.

Meanwhile, a squadron of F-16 fighter jets from the United Arab Emirates arrived in Jordan. The UAE has said it is sending the warplane to support the kingdom, and a Jordanian government official has said they will participate in airstrikes on Islamic State group targets.

Jordanian officials vowed to harshly retaliate for the slaying of the pilot, Lt. Muath al-Kaseasbeh, who was set ablaze while trapped in a cage.

Since Thursday, the Jordanian air force has attacked and destroyed 56 Islamic State targets, the air force chief, Gen. Mansour al-Jabour, told reporters. This includes 19 targets on the first day, 18 on the second and 19 on the third, he said.

"We achieved what we were looking for: revenge for Muath," the general said. "And this is not the end. This is the beginning."

In recent days, Jordanian officials have delivered tough warnings to Islamic State, saying the retaliation campaign would not stop until the group has been destroyed.

The United States and several Arab allies, including Jordan, have been striking the Islamic State group in Syria since Sept. 23, while warplanes from the U.S. and other countries have been waging an air campaign against the extremists in Iraq for even longer. The campaign aims to push back the jihadi organization after it took large parts of Iraq and Syria and declared a "caliphate."

Al-Jabour said coalition planes have flown 5,500 sorties since the beginning of the air campaign, including 2,000 reconnaissance flights. He did not say whether this included flights over both Syria and Iraq. He said Jordan's air force participated in 946 sorties.

The general said about 7,000 Islamic State group militants have been killed since the beginning of the coalition airstrikes, without elaborating.

Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates have been participating in the Syria airstrikes, with logistical support from Qatar.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-09

"UAE has said it is sending the warplane to support the kingdom."

NEVER has an Islamic nation allowed another to place its warplanes in the country. They've allowed Western nation warplanes to station in their country. This is an important event that says there is a different standard for Islam than broadcast by ISIL. Whether other Islamic nations join with UAE and Jordon such as Eqypt and Turkey, remains to be seen. But for the sake of civilization in the Middle East and the TRUE PROPHET I hope they do.

Not a first, and not even a second.

There were such deployments during the Yemen War, the 1973 war against Israel and perhaps as a bizarre addition to the list - Iraq moving its aircraft to Iran during GWI. And that's just off the top of my head....

Edited by Morch
  • Like 2

NEVER has an Islamic nation allowed another to place its warplanes in the country. They've allowed Western nation warplanes to station in their country. This is an important event that says there is a different standard for Islam than broadcast by ISIL. Whether other Islamic nations join with UAE and Jordon such as Eqypt and Turkey, remains to be seen. But for the sake of civilization in the Middle East and the TRUE PROPHET I hope they do.

There were such deployments during the Yemen War, the 1973 war against Israel and perhaps as a bizarre addition to the list - Iraq moving its aircraft to Iran during GWI. And that's just off the top of my head....

There is a US airbase in UAE; they dont advertise it but its there.

No it is not a US airbase it is a UAE airbase.

During the gulf war there were many foreign nation forces in islamic countries.

If I stand corrected, OK. I will double check and confirm. Yet... no property there is actually ever anyone else's rather leased, loaned etc. Hrmm

If I stand corrected, OK. I will double check and confirm. Yet... no property there is actually ever anyone else's rather leased, loaned etc. Hrmm

Neither, it is strictly an Emirate's base. We do fly from there on occasion.....
  • Like 1

I think he is hoping for the Arab countries to unite as one for the false prophet and destroy the enemies of Islam!

Keeping blowing these inhumane parasites up until they are extinct...good on you Jordan for having the guts to do what many other nations would not. You have shown great respect for your pilot and his brutal death.

Sorry I fail to see the moral difference between dropping incendiary bombs and Hellfire missiles which burn people to death. This indiscriminate bombing which causes 'collateral damage' ie burning women and children to death, is a war crime. The pilot killed or tried to kill civilians. I feel much worse about the beheading of Alan Henning, an aid worker, than this fellow who was a professional killer of innocents.

Though I suspect we were all disgusted by the burning to death of a Jordanian pilot I suspect this act is being used as a pretext for wiping out ISIS. This is conjecture, but supposing the Gulf states are concerned that U.S cooperation with Iran to fight ISIS may result in Iran securing a nuclear agreement favorable to themselves. This might actually cause the Gulf states to pull their own fingers out, taking care of ISIS may take a bargaining chip away from Iran.

I saw an interview with a Jordanian minister today and he reckons about 800-1,000 sorties over 3 weeks would do the trick.

Full credit to Jordan for doing what they have, now the Americans, Brits, Euros and Aussies need to grow some balls and finish it.

• Like 2

I saw an interview with a Jordanian minister today and he reckons about 800-1,000 sorties over 3 weeks would do the trick.

Full credit to Jordan for doing what they have, now the Americans, Brits, Euros and Aussies need to grow some balls and finish it.

What's with the "grow some balls" thing? Who do you think took the burden of fighting up to now? Who chaperones the Jordanian sorties?

• Like 2

Keeping blowing these inhumane parasites up until they are extinct...good on you Jordan for having the guts to do what many other nations would not. You have shown great respect for your pilot and his brutal death.

Sorry I fail to see the moral difference between dropping incendiary bombs and Hellfire missiles which burn people to death. This indiscriminate bombing which causes 'collateral damage' ie burning women and children to death, is a war crime. The pilot killed or tried to kill civilians. I feel much worse about the beheading of Alan Henning, an aid worker, than this fellow who was a professional killer of innocents.

Professional killer of innocents! So what do you suggest we do then?

So I guess all soldiers are war criminals? You know the ones: The brave individuals that risk our lives so we can have freedoms and security that threaten our way of life. The same people that die so YOU can speak without persecution.

• Like 2

Although the Kingdom of Jordan was already active in coalition strikes against ISIS, it has clearly stepped up its determination.

I guess it remains to be seen if this amplification is more of a blood letting to appease boiling anger in the Jordan population, after which things would ease off to previous levels of activity, of if Jordan will stick with it. I suspect Abdullah would want to continue, but it is the population's staying power that will be tested when the financial cost of this long long campaign will start biting. On a side note, no bleating about "disproportionate" response coming from the usual internet characters or even U.N spokesmen. I guess that could be because 'these' Islamists nobody seems to have a soft spot for.

• Like 1

Without Prejudice.

And without intent of raining on the Euphoria Parade in the OP.

5,500 sorties by coalition.

7,000 militants killed without elaborating.

How many of 7,000 killed were collateral damage?

Is "Caliphate" territory shrinking?

Is number of "Caliphate" armed forces declining?

Is one sortie of F-16 for one killed terrorist (???) without elaborating an effective way of fighting "Caliphate"?

Why do I feel that somebody is trying to brainwash me through the anus?

• Like 1

There are other factors which may mean Jordan won't actually follow through ion destroying ISIS, namely a good proportion of their population support them. If they do decide to crush their own domestic Islamic fundamentalists I would applaud it, but it took Algeria years to do so and an estimated 100,000 deaths. I suspect Western liberals would intervene in defense of the fanatics before such a plan could be carried through to conclusion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/11397740/Karak-Jordan-Where-one-pilot-is-mourned-and-another-is-praised-for-joining-ISIL.html

Without Prejudice.

And without intent of raining on the Euphoria Parade in the OP.

5,500 sorties by coalition.

7,000 militants killed without elaborating.

How many of 7,000 killed were collateral damage?

Is "Caliphate" territory shrinking?

Is number of "Caliphate" armed forces declining?

Is one sortie of F-16 for one killed terrorist (???) without elaborating an effective way of fighting "Caliphate"?

Why do I feel that somebody is trying to brainwash me through the anus?

Regarding your last comment - Friend or enema?

Interesting; I find them all acts of war equally repugnant. That you are actually able to measure and quantify degrees of disgust is curious for someone who asserts the moral equivalency of hellfires and cage burning. "I feel much worse..." Really? There is a place in your mind or heart where you feel bad for watching someone burned to death alive but then your feel bad meter can still peg significantly further into disgusted spectrum when seeing a beheading, such as Alan Henning. I never mastered the ability quantify evil as such. It all always struck me as equally sick. I dont think this was your intention... but it is how I read your post. I think you kinda meant to say they all "equally suck, but lets not forget what else is being done during this whole mess." Yet, your post revealed more.

The authority behind the act seems relevant in your estimation. For example, a war crime is ostensibly acted upon under the premise of war as authority. Yes, this is horrible and should be considered and reviewed. Yet what of the burning and beheading authority that you have varying qualities of "feel much worse" about? Is it not noteworthy that one act is done under the framework of the accountability of man and the other acts of horror under the authority and infallibility of god?

If you will present to us the consideration of equivalency, be consistent. Equally present the case. Because in this passage it is clear, one road has recourse, and the other oblivion.

Here is a Jordanian spelling out quite clearly how the morally repugnant Wahabism has infected Sunni Islam to the degree that the two are now inseparable. I guess he doesn't subscribe to the tiny minority meme and is thus Islamophobic.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2015/02/jordanian-columnist-the-islamic-state-did-not-invent-a-new-islam

The ISIS scum won't be eradicated unless there is major action against them on the ground. We know that the Iraqi army is not capable of effectively fighting ISIS and the Syrian army is tied up on many fronts. So, which coalition country/countries will step forward and start the ground action ?! We'll wait and see, but the signs until now don't look good in this aspect.

I can not help but wonder, reading all the great reports about Jordan, US, UK, France and everybody else dropping bombs, why there is never a mention of civilian casualties?

Surely civilians are being killed also.

You seem unhappy that there aren't civilian casualties?

I think ISIS is pretty good about killing off large numbers of civilians.

I can not help but wonder, reading all the great reports about Jordan, US, UK, France and everybody else dropping bombs, why there is never a mention of civilian casualties?

Surely civilians are being killed also.

You seem unhappy that there aren't civilian casualties?

I think ISIS is pretty good about killing off large numbers of civilians.

I seem unhappy is your answer?rolleyes.gif

Ever considered the number of civilians being killed? but unreportedwhistling.gif

Or did you think they dropping water bombs on daily basis?