UK Ancestry Visa Questions for a Thai - Do we have to break up our family ?

Hi folks, the time has come to make the move to the UK for a business we wish to conducted there.

-The Husband has a grandfather born in the UK.

The question in in regard for my wife's daughter (14yo) who would be a "Dependent". ?

Here is a link to what I am referring to. https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/family-members

Even though her biological farther abandoned her completely over 7 years ago, my wife and I (married for 6 years) have been the sole supporter and careers, the mother has a sole custody order from the Thai court, I am wondering if she can live with us when we move to the UK as she considereds me her farther, as step children are not considered as a dependent.

But my wife will be applying the same time as me as my wife, can her (our) daughter apply at the same time as my as my wife as her 'child under the age of 18'.

Leaving her behind is simply not an option.

All emails to VFS have been ignored.

Anyone know ?

You are confusing yourself here. The UK Ancestry category refers to applicants who are Commonwealth citizens, and who have a UK grandparent. From what you say, I don't think this 14 year old girl qualifies.

She can apply at the same time as her mother. From what you say, you are a family unit, living together in Thailand ? If so, then the problem of your wife having to demonstrate " sole responsibility" for her daughter should not be difficult to overcome.

You will, as the sponsor in both applications, have to demonstrate an annual income of at least 22,400 GBP a year, and you will need to demonstrate that adequate accommodation is available to your family.

Tony M

Hi Tony & 7by7, thanks heaps for your reply and advice.

I assume your wife and step daughter are both Thai; what is your nationality? ​I am Australian and Wife and step daughter are Thai.

You are confusing yourself here. The UK Ancestry category refers to applicants who are Commonwealth citizens, and who have a UK grandparent. From what you say, I don't think this 14 year old girl qualifies.

With this link (click here) I full fill the eligibility requirements I believe with my Grandfather and being Aussie.

​With this UK link here my Thai wife fulfills as my Family Member as my partner under dependents, Do you agree?

My question: Does my step daughter fall under my wife's application as her dependent with the initial application?

(I did read somewhere and the link escapes me that simply being my step child does not qualify, ie applying for only myself and step daughter but indicated that as my wife has a "valid entitlement to apply" (and likely to be approved) for this that and my wife is certainly applying that the child can go apply as her child dependent.

You will, as the sponsor in both applications, have to demonstrate an annual income of at least 22,400 GBP a year, and you will need to demonstrate that adequate accommodation is available to your family.

From what I have been reading, this 2012 requirement is not set against the Ancestry Visa. From what I have been reading, job prospects, job offers seem to be important, I am reading comments from folks saying they want at least $3000 and 3 months of bank statements and a planned or offer of residence is ideal.

No where I have seen that I have to make 22,400GBP for Ancestry, it is hard when living in Thailand as my two professions that I am qualified in is banned for farlang here, how ever my wife exceeds that amount annually anyway and can show bank books and Gov tax receipts. We are a married couple, she supports me and our (step) daughter, I offer encouragement :) Surely our joint bank account would suffice? In the UK will be setting up a company that we already have the stock for.

Also, all the birth certificates and marriage certs are original, my grandfathers birth certificate is a certified copy, the person hold his original, (he is now dead) is not at all happy in no uncertain terms about sending it to Asia...... (scared will be lost etc). A certified copy should be ok for that one would think ?

Thanks for your replies.

Your initial post was confusing. We didn't realise that you are the principal applicant.

Forget the 22,400 GBP. That applies to dependants under the family migration rules.

Regarding the documentation, this is the guidance to Entry Clearance Officers :

You must:

 cross-check the documents to make sure all the details correspond and show a clear line from applicant to grandparent

 check carefully for any signs a document has been altered

 recheck documents sent with previous UK ancestry applications, for example, when a person with four or five years leave to enter or remain applies for extension or indefinite leave  get all certificates the application relies on and re-check, for example, birth certificates and, in some cases, marriage certificates

 record the birth certificate reference numbers on CID, including birth certificates of family members (parents and grandparents) provided in support of applications

 search on all birth certificate reference numbers in CID and Warehouse. In cases where the CID check shows birth certificates bearing the same nationality and reference have been used before, you must consult a senior caseworker.

You can make checks through local intelligence units or, for documents with an overseas source, through the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

If you doubt a document is genuine, you must ask for more evidence.

This applies particularly to countries where you know birth and marriage records are usually unavailable.

Regarding your wife's daughter. For immigration purposes, a dependant is normally regarded as someone who is financially and emotionally dependent on the principal applicant ( (you). You are married, and you are a family unit. Common sense says that your step-daughter should be considered as your dependant. The UKVI might try to take a different view, but I would hope not.

You must have a job to go to, or a realistic prospect of employment, or an intention to start your own business. You will need to provide evidence of future employment in the UK. If you do not intend to work in the UK, then the visa will be refused. You will be required to show that you can maintain and accommodate your dependants until you are employed.

Tony M

• Like 1

Thanks heaps Tony, been helpful.

Do U have a link to your Biz in your avatar ?

And the Thai Docs, Birth certs, Marriage certs, Court papers etc, do these translations need the Thai Gov stamp from Chiang Wattanna ?

I live in Thailand, do I need to also get a TB test ? I presume that my wife and daughter do not need to be delayed to do an English test, just the TB and fingerprint in Trendy building ?

Been a great help.

Edited by Chapy

Thanks heaps Tony, been helpful.

Do U have a link to your Biz in your avatar ?

And the Thai Docs, Birth certs, Marriage certs, Court papers etc, do these translations need the Thai Gov stamp from Chiang Wattanna ?

I live in Thailand, do I need to also get a TB test ? I presume that my wife and daughter do not need to be delayed to do an English test, just the TB and fingerprint in Trendy building ?

Been a great help.

There is a link to the office in our avatar.

You will need a TB test too.

Because of the importance of the documentation in UK ancestry applications, it would be best to get "legalised" translations from the MFA. You may need them again if you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

Tony M

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks again, Can you that t be medical are just the TB chest xray that can be done in a nominated Bkk hospital, or is it a drawn out long medical? I presume there is no KET English requirements? Thanks

Hi Folks again, Can you that t be medical are just the TB chest xray that can be done in a nominated Bkk hospital, or is it a drawn out long medical? I presume there is no KET English requirements? Thanks

The medical test is done at through the IOM in Bangkok. Link : https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tuberculosis-test-for-a-uk-visa-clinics-in-thailand/tuberculosis-testing-in-thailand

There is no English test, as you are not applying for a settlement visa.

From earlier this month, you have become liable to the Immigration Health Surcharge. Australians were previously exempt.

Thanks heaps Tony, oh I see they rushed that in for Aussies too, with this and the new visa price, it has become massively more expensive ! They are a boasting 100mill gbp windfall. Anyway, do you interprete the cost of dependents as 811 GBP each or total? (Thai wife & stepdaughter who we sole support) I can't paste t be link from my phone!

Edited by Chapy

Thanks heaps Tony, oh I see they rushed that in for Aussies too, with this and the new visa price, it has become massively more expensive ! They are a boasting 100mill gbp windfall. Anyway, do you interprete the cost of dependents as 811 GBP each or total? (Thai wife & stepdaughter who we sole support) I can't paste t be link from my phone!

Not sure what you mean by "interpret" ? The cost of each visa should be 405 GBP.

You got caught out by the fee increases earlier this month. Each visa fee went up by 81 GBP (around 25%), and you now have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. By the way, as your visa will be a 5-year visa, that should mean that the cost to each of you for the IHS is 1,000 GBP. Total, with TB tests ? Around 5,000 GBP ! Wow. Yes, I guess they expect a windfall.