Japan's Abe urges Thailand to return soon to civilian rule

Lite Beer

Japan's Abe urges Thailand to return soon to civilian rule

Tokyo, Japan | AFP |

TOKYO: -- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe urged Thailand's military rulers Monday to return as soon as possible to civilian rule as he met his counterpart and former army chief Prayut Chan-O-Cha in Tokyo.

The Thai junta chief is in Tokyo after receiving his first invitation from a G7 country since the coup in May, which took place days after democratically elected prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was ousted by a court ruling following months of street protests.

"Prime Minister Prayut is making his best effort to recover democracy in Thailand," Abe told a joint press conference.

"Japan expresses its strong expectations for Thailand's national reconciliation and a return of civilian rule as early as possible."

Prayut said Thailand would speed up action towards the creation of a new constitution.

"We plan to hold elections in the end of this year or the beginning of the next year," he said.

"I promise I will build a healthy democracy in Thailand."

The two sides signed a memorandum on cooperation over railway development in Thailand, while "affirming the importance" of promoting the Dawei special economic zone project involving Japan, Thailand and Myanmar, a joint statement said.

Dawei is a multi-billion-dollar seaport project on Myanmar's south coast, which would give Thailand a gateway to the Indian Ocean and Western markets.

The visit by Prayut came as China is openly courting Thailand's generals and as strains are begining to show between the kingdom and its traditional ally the United States following last year's coup.

Washington has been critical of the generals' power grab, calling for the return of civilian rule.

China has also backed the construction on a $12 billion railway from northern Nong Khai province -- which borders Laos -- to the vast coastal industrial estate of Map Ta Phut southeast of Bangkok.

China hopes the 734-kilometre (459-mile) railway will eventually link its southwestern city of Kunming with Asia's second busiest port of Singapore.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-02-09

The countries which have committed horrors and crimes against humanity, in, and from, Thailand, like Japan and the US of A should remain 'modest', and be last of all to speak up about the internal, non-violent(!), situation here, the more so they didn't seem to have any problem to comment about while the country was robbed blind, and thousands became victims of extra-judicial killings, would this just be because it was easier to abuse of the Thais during the 'Thaksin regime', business first then, no doubt...

• Like 1

PS (as long as it's yellow)

You definitely have a gale problem, go see a good doctor...

You see everything that much in yellow, 'binjalin', that in the end you'd succeed to forget how red you are... Ah, bias, bias, so stupid and reducing...

How dare the Japanese interfere with Thailand's internal politics.whistling.gif

guess the NLA will try to summon the Japanese ambassador to explain why Japan wounds Thailand the same as the U.S. Tantrums and screaming all around.
  • Like 1

JAPAN TRIP
Democracy coming soon, vows Prayut

THE NATION

TOKYO: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha told his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe at a bilateral meeting in Tokyo yesterday that his government was committed to "an early restoration of democracy" with an election to be held by the end of this year or early next year.

In a joint statement issued after the meeting, both leaders reiterated their determination to maintain and further develop the partnership between the two countries based on a long-standing amicable relationship. They also agreed to boost security and defence cooperation.

Prayut told Abe that he was committed to maintaining and improving Thailand's business environment so Japanese enterprises can make long-term investments with ease.

The two leaders achieved no breakthroughs, other than reaffirming the

importance of promoting the Dawei Special Economic Zone project through consultation with Myanmar.

Prayut and Abe witnessed the signing of the memorandum of intent on cooperating in the railway sector between their transport ministries as well as a memorandum of cooperation on promoting business. Thailand wants Japan to help develop three rail routes connecting Bangkok with provinces in the West, East and North as well as along East-West Economic Corridor.

The Japanese will be looked after

In a meeting with Japan's Labour Minister Yasuhisa Shiozaki, who also chairs the Thailand-Japan Parliamentary Friendship League, Prayut guaranteed that Japanese tourists and businesses in Thailand would be taken care of and that the government would enforce laws fairly without violating human rights or abusing its authority.

Meanwhile in Tokyo yesterday, Prayut met with Sadayuki Sakakibara, chairman of a business association called Keidanren Sakakibara, with the Japanese telling Prayut that economic ties with Thailand remain important.

Sakakibara said Japan would continue to cooperate with the Kingdom in rail and port infrastructure projects.

In Bangkok, Thanavath Phonvichai, director of the Economic and Business Forecasting Centre, said the prime minister's mission to Japan would help increase Japanese investors' confidence, and tighten cooperation between the two countries in many angles.

Thanavath said the Thai economy could grow by up to 5 per cent this year following closer cooperation with Japan, while Tokyo might foresee greater opportunity to expand trade and investment in Thailand and its neighbouring countries under the Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement.

The Commerce Ministry said it has targeted exports to Japan increasing 2 per cent this year, after a 1.9 per cent drop last year when they were worth US$21.82 billion (Bt744.6 billion). Japan is Thailand's fourth-largest export market, with exports to Japan accounting for 9.6 per cent of the total shipments last year.

Commerce Ministry spokeswoman Duangkamol Jiambutr said exports to Japan were expected to grow due to Japan's economy showing stronger signs of recovering following the government's quantitative-easing programme.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Democracy-coming-soon-vows-Prayut-30253753.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-10

Yep. I am waiting on the same torrent of bitter anti-Japanese vitriol that the Americans have had to put up with, from our resident junta defenders...

I think you will wait a while........

• Like 2

guess the NLA will try to summon the Japanese ambassador to explain why Japan wounds Thailand the same as the U.S. Tantrums and screaming all around.

IMHO I think you are guessing wrong. There won't be tantrums and screaming all around.

I believe you and trust you will do Prime Minister.

I'm looking forward living the rest of my life in a better Thailand.

Any chance you could rephrase that to make it less mawkish and cringe-worthy? Not nice reading first thing in the morning. whistling.gif

• Like 1

There was already a news report in Channelnewsasia before the Japan trip that the junta may hold election end of this year or early next year. Good to hear that the General PM confirming that piece of news inTokyo in front of the international media. Will be a foreign relationship disaster if he don't keep to his statement. Leader of a country may be easy to usurp by power but running it is a lot harder if you don't have legitimacy and certainly much harder without the people's mandate.

• Like 1

I think some people missed this part of Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe statement.

"Prime Minister Prayut is making his best effort to recover democracy in Thailand," Abe told a joint press conference.

In other words he knew that their was no Democracy in Thailand prior to Prayut's take over of the Shinawatra dictatorship. It also indicates that he knows Prayut is making an effort to bring Democracy back to Thailand. He knows full well that after the elections Thailand will be run by an elected official not some criminal running from the law and living in a foreign country.thumbsup.gif

Oh er.... brilliant observation John, so this elected government you speak of ...........that would be including the unelected bloc of appointed senators?

• Like 2

I think some people missed this part of Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe statement.

In other words he knew that their was no Democracy in Thailand prior to Prayut's take over of the Shinawatra dictatorship. It also indicates that he knows Prayut is making an effort to bring Democracy back to Thailand. He knows full well that after the elections Thailand will be run by an elected official not some criminal running from the law and living in a foreign country.thumbsup.gif

So there's no chance he was pointing out there no democracy here at present since the country is under martial law imposed by a military junta that took power through a coup ?

Very democratic i don't think but don't get confused, i was no fan of the previous regime either.

You got it he knows there is no democracy here and that Prayut is working towards one. He also knows there was no Democracy here under Thaksin and that what Prayut is working for is to bring one back to Thailand.

I thought I made that pretty clear in my post.

Are you one of those who thought Thailand was a Democracy with Thaksin running it and therefore willing to let the country slide down hill and corruption increase. You will notice that Thailand has improved on the anti corruption scale taken by Amnesty International for 2014.

So there's no chance he was pointing out there no democracy here at present since the country is under martial law imposed by a military junta that took power through a coup ?

Very democratic i don't think but don't get confused, i was no fan of the previous regime either.

You got it he knows there is no democracy here and that Prayut is working towards one. He also knows there was no Democracy here under Thaksin and that what Prayut is working for is to bring one back to Thailand.

I thought I made that pretty clear in my post.

Are you one of those who thought Thailand was a Democracy with Thaksin running it and therefore willing to let the country slide down hill and corruption increase. You will notice that Thailand has improved on the anti corruption scale taken by Amnesty International for 2014.

John, I really need your help to explain the connection between democracy and corruption. In another words, what has corruption got to do with democracy.

Oh er.... brilliant observation John, so this elected government you speak of ...........that would be including the unelected bloc of appointed senators?

How would I know. They are still in the early stagers of planning. the one thing I do know is what ever they do unless they check with you first you will find fault in. I also know it will be far more Democratic than the last government that was run by a criminal who was wanted in Thailand to serve time in jail on a conviction.

I am actually elated to see the anti coup protesters reduced to petty nit picking that we have no idea of what will be the final finished project. Even if they do have unelected Senators I believe that is what Canada has and they call them selves a Democracy.

Fact is to the best of my knowledge there are no Democracies in the west.