Thai movie ratings and underage people

JeffreyO

I have a friend who is a university student, she's 19 but wants to watch 50 Shades of Grey, this is a 20+ rated movie which puts her under the age, I however am over the age. Like with most western rating systems, is she permitted to enter as long as she is accompanied by someone of age?

Thank you.

you don't ask this question serious,do you?

I don't ask which question serious? If a minor can see a movie with an adult? Of course I do. when I was 15 or 16 I went to R rated (US 18+) movies all the time as long as I was accompanied.

you don't ask this question serious,do you?

I don't ask which question serious? If a minor can see a movie with an adult? Of course I do. when I was 15 or 16 I went to R rated (US 18+) movies all the time as long as I was accompanied.

we are in Thailand,bro-even 8 year olds ride motor bikes,do you think anybody gives a fly *** about age in a cinema???

• Like 2

Sorry. No, I don't think she can enter with you.

The 18+ and other lesser ratings are just recommendations. A 20+ rating is mandatory and in my experience the theatres check IDs.

I can't remember if they just do the ID check when you buy the ticket or when the ticket-taker lets you in. Don't believe she'll be able to enter, but maybe someone else here has some experience with it.

Edited by R7BKK

The whole idea of having age limits for movies is quite a new thing - it only came in here about 5 years ago. In those 5 years, I've never once seen anyone be asked to produce any ID to get in. You often see young children sitting, incongruously, through movies with endless violence and sexual scenes. I think the lack of checking comes down to Thai culture's dislike of confrontation.

In short, your friend is never going to get stopped and asked for id. Go watch the movie.

• Like 2

I don't want to keep bearing bad news, but it would be a shame for you and your friend to show up at the theatre and then not be able to get in.

It's true the rating system in Thailand is only a handful of years old. The levels are:

- Sor - Thai abbreviation for films the government "promotes"/encourages everyone to see.

- Tor - Thai abbreviation for "general audience"

- Nor 13+ - Thai abbreviation for "advised" for 13 and up only

- Nor 15+ - "Advised" for 15 and up only

- Nor 18+ - "Advised" for 18 and up only

- Shor 20+ - Thai abbreviation for "restricted" to 20 and up

As I mentioned, the lower levels are only advisories. Anyone, any age can get in.

The Shor 20+ is only only category with mandatory ID checks. It's similar to Rated X or NC-17 for subject matter the government decides is too graphic for young minds. Very few films get a 20+ rating, which is why you almost never see the ID checks. The only time the theatres do the ID check is for the very small number of 20+ films. (And maybe some very explicit/violent unrated films in film festivals... think I went through an ID check for one of those once.) In my experience, the major theatres in Bangkok do check. Not sure about everywhere else.

There are also plenty of Thai uni-age students asking on other websites if they'll be able to get into 50 Shades of Grey, and the responses from other people online are no.

Maybe someone else here actually has experience of going to 20+ rated movie with someone not 20 yet?

Edited by R7BKK

It must feel strange to be dating someone who is 'underage' for something!! Of course if your only a year or two older then it wouldn't feel that strange I suppose...If asked I would claim that she left her ID at home. They'll probably let her in if she's with a farang. They won't want a confrontation...It's looks to be a completely rubbish movie and story...I would bring her to Super Hero 6!!

It must feel strange to be dating someone who is 'underage' for something!! Of course if your only a year or two older then it wouldn't feel that strange I suppose...If asked I would claim that she left her ID at home. They'll probably let her in if she's with a farang. They won't want a confrontation...It's looks to be a completely rubbish movie and story...I would bring her to Super Hero 6!!

It would feel very strange if I was dating a 19 year old, thankfully I'm not.

Edited by JeffreyO

I don't want to keep bearing bad news, but it would be a shame for you and your friend to show up at the theatre and then not be able to get in.

It's true the rating system in Thailand is only a handful of years old. The levels are:

- Sor - Thai abbreviation for films the government "promotes"/encourages everyone to see.

- Tor - Thai abbreviation for "general audience"

- Nor 13+ - Thai abbreviation for "advised" for 13 and up only

- Nor 15+ - "Advised" for 15 and up only

- Nor 18+ - "Advised" for 18 and up only

- Shor 20+ - Thai abbreviation for "restricted" to 20 and up

As I mentioned, the lower levels are only advisories. Anyone, any age can get in.

The Shor 20+ is only only category with mandatory ID checks. It's similar to Rated X or NC-17 for subject matter the government decides is too graphic for young minds. Very few films get a 20+ rating, which is why you almost never see the ID checks. The only time the theatres do the ID check is for the very small number of 20+ films. (And maybe some very explicit/violent unrated films in film festivals... think I went through an ID check for one of those once.) In my experience, the major theatres in Bangkok do check. Not sure about everywhere else.

There are also plenty of Thai uni-age students asking on other websites if they'll be able to get into 50 Shades of Grey, and the responses from other people online are no.

Maybe someone else here actually has experience of going to 20+ rated movie with someone not 20 yet?

Your information is absolutely valid and seems to be the most specific I've heard as of yet. I'm hoping that someone has experience with this and can advise but if not, c'est la vie. I simply won't take her.