Being Polite?

Minburi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to go out of there way to greet me, not sure why though.

Must be because they mistake you for Keanu, hmmm? :o

Arr yes, that must be the main reason i think, but a better looking version ofcourse

:D Should I just turn off when I go out as in just shut down and think I am the only one and ignore all around me and have not feelings? WHy you ask?

Recently was out shopping at a large mall (future park)with my wife and daughter and I saw this group of people heading towards us. Tourists or expats or what ever you want to call them.

Big difference between tourists and expats, there, euh.. Mininburi.

Until that one is clarified, I wouldn´t dare make a post.

:o

Reminds me of a social incident a few days ago.

I was holding a door open for a mother and her 2 young daughters (foreigners) and when the mother was about to pass through the door I noticed she was giving me the most evil look I've ever received. Really, like she wanted to kill me.

Someone has probably run her over by now.

No, you were not out of line. but consider tourists being afraid of everything.

They might have been warned to watch out for fellow country-people who might want to rob or cheat them.

That doesn't make any sense. Being courteous and friendly in a hostile world IMHO says alot about one's character. Besides if one wanted to rob or cheat someone else, I could think of many more elaborate and sophisticated ways to do it!

Tourists are cheated the moment they step off the airplane and get defensive after a few hours on the ground here. First time visitors are targeted.

The first contact is usually with some scamming taxi driver, then off to a ripoff Seafood dinner, an unfortunate adventure with Tuk Tuk cheats offering 20bt "city tours" then demanding 3,000... to 4,000 bht or threats of violence, local cheat mafia types lurking at ever significant tourist spot saying the venue is closed, Thai gem scams, the fake student interviews gleaning personal info, double charging all the way, even for a bottle of water sometimes,........and this is usually in the first 24hours.

Don't trust anyone is their attitude.

Can't blame them.

Always be polite and smile / say hello as civility makes my / our day more pleasant.

Could it be they where in fact from another non English speaking country.?

Always smile then the appearance of being friendly usually compliments your greeting.

Different cultures act in various ways, but a smile and a nod make all the difference when they don,t know what you are saying.

Do what you,re happy with and don,t worry if you get a negative response.

Always allow for the fact they may have had a shitty day or a problem and are miles away.

I say hello to everyone who looks at me be they Thai or farang and usually get at least a smile in return.

If not, it,s not a big deal and certainly cannot change the way i was brought up, that,s for sure.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Tourists are cheated the moment they step off the airplane and get defensive after a few hours on the ground here. First time visitors are targeted.

The first contact is usually with some scamming taxi driver, then off to a ripoff Seafood dinner, an unfortunate adventure with Tuk Tuk cheats offering 20bt "city tours" then demanding 3,000... to 4,000 bht or threats of violence, local cheat mafia types lurking at ever significant tourist spot saying the venue is closed, Thai gem scams, the fake student interviews gleaning personal info, double charging all the way, even for a bottle of water sometimes,........and this is usually in the first 24hours.

Can't blame them.

cricky's skip,

that was a bad day was'nt it ?

needed a few coldys after that one eh ? :D

i dont think its that bad is it ?

i know the go and never have a problem.

i think that, a tad of research before johnny punter lands in los would take care of most of those problems.

and you would have to be a bit unlucky to cope all of those things would'nt you ?

but you could be joking mate so anyway have a nice day.

cheers :o

Always be polite and smile / say hello as civility makes my / our day more pleasant.

Could it be they where in fact from another non English speaking country.?

Always smile then the appearance of being friendly usually compliments your greeting.

Different cultures act in various ways, but a smile and a nod make all the difference when they don,t know what you are saying.

Do what you,re happy with and don,t worry if you get a negative response.

Always allow for the fact they may have had a shitty day or a problem and are miles away.

I say hello to everyone who looks at me be they Thai or farang and usually get at least a smile in return.

If not, it,s not a big deal and certainly cannot change the way i was brought up, that,s for sure.

marshbags :D:D:D

yo bags, i think you just about get gold for your post.

if every punter acted like you say, it would be so much better,

but then again some tossers are just sad bast--ds arn't they. :D

but you my top friend are a great fella. :D

Can't blame them.

cricky's skip,

i think that, a tad of research before johnny punter lands in los would take care of most of those problems.

and you would have to be a bit unlucky to cope all of those things would'nt you ?

Wish it wasn't true, Terry, but unfortunatly it's way too common and I wonder if the TAT does ANYTHING besides advertise?

I can guarantee that the row of taxis parked outside just about every hotel are all ready willing and able to scam anyone they can. They are the Taxi Mafia.

The only reason they learn to speak English is so they can tell lies to a Farang.

You think those boys from Roi Et learn English to be helpfull?

I agree if you are "clued up", a seasoned traveler, you can avoid alot.

I was in a Tour business in Thailand and I heard it almost everyday from novice tourists.

Easy prey, the 4.5 million, first time, visitors a year.

Can't blame them.

cricky's skip,

Wish it wasn't true, Terry, but unfortunatly it's way too common and I wonder if the TAT does ANYTHING besides advertise?

I can guarantee that the row of taxis parked outside just about every hotel are all ready willing and able to scam anyone they can. They are the Taxi Mafia.

The only reason they learn to speak English is so they can tell lies to a Farang.

You think those boys from Roi Et learn English to be helpfull?

I agree if you are "clued up", a seasoned traveler, you can avoid alot.

I was in a Tour business in Thailand and I heard it almost everyday from novice tourists.

Easy prey, the 4.5 million, first time, visitors a year.

well considering your in the tour business skip, you'd hear it all the time.

i am a seasoned traveller and always check up the scam meter before i hit the ground.

its always the gumby first time punter that goes down as they are piss easy prey.

if your not on your toe's in los its so easy to be taken.

even if you've been around a while.

does'nt mean there bad, as worse happen's in my country.

its to hard to resist for the hard working thai and they always pick there mark.

cheers mate :D

lol.....I got 'taken' for a few bucks in LOS as a newbie. Looking back I have to admire how good some of the scams were.

I've learned this rule about the Thai culture and after 1 year living here have yet to see this rule violated:

IF ANY Thai approaches you (young, old, male, female, well dressed, slob, 'official' badge, etc. etc.) without YOU FIRST asking for help or initiating contact somehow.......YOU ARE BEING SET UP FOR A SCAM.

This should be printed on the back of every air ticket to Bangkok.

hey skip , you and the writer are partners in crime on this one.

i must be one of the lucky ones as ive been coming to los for 20 years and have hardly ever had a problem. :D

but i must add that i never drop the gaurd and the eyes in the back of my head are working over time.

the old brain matter is always on full alert as well.

its a newbie thing and those gumbies will always go down big time.

in cairns the locals rip the japs of merciless. :D

the japs got that much money that its still a giggle for them.

i feel that the thai feel the same about us falang, and figger a bit of tea money wont hurt mr and mrs falang.

as long as its not to much i feel its ok as its not much for us. :D

any way's ,

cheers my good friends :o

Man everyone knows Thaildand has dual pricing etc, and the taxi drivers will try get a few baht out of you, alot of tourists think they are better then the Thai people and treat them like dirt, thats why I think alot of Thai's in tourists areas & tourists treat eachother like dirt because they generalize too much and think all thais are scammers and all farang are rich so they can pay a higher price and wont really care

Man everyone knows Thaildand has dual pricing etc, and the taxi drivers will try get a few baht out of you, alot of tourists think they are better then the Thai people and treat them like dirt, thats why I think alot of Thai's in tourists areas & tourists treat eachother like dirt because they generalize too much and think all thais are scammers and all farang are rich so they can pay a higher price and wont really care

Man....that is some sentence! Congratulations on it's sheer length.

Also, man, where is Thaildand ?

i must be one of the lucky ones as ive been coming to los for 20 years and have hardly ever had a problem. :D

but i must add that i never drop the gaurd and the eyes in the back of my head are working over time.

the japs got that much money that its still a giggle for them.[/b]i feel that the thai feel the same about us falang, and figger a bit of tea money wont hurt mr and mrs falang.

any way's ,

Yes, all 'Japs' are rich and deserve to be ripped off, it's a giggle for them as they have no dignity and love to get ripped off. :D

Edited by Sing_Sling

the japs got that much money that its still a giggle for them.[/b]i feel that the thai feel the same about us falang, and figger a bit of tea money wont hurt mr and mrs falang.

any way's ,

Yes, all 'Japs' are rich and deserve to be ripped off, it's a giggle for them as they have no dignity and love to get ripped off. :D

yes sling, its a fact, but its not me mate ok.

but the locals do think thats its ok, as the japs virtually own cairns these days.

its a disgrace mate, as the queensland goverment has sold free hold to the japs, land, houses, business's, hotels, restaurants and many other things.

where does the money go, i hear you ask ?

bloody japan thats where!!!

now i have no problem with the japs as our goverment has allowed this situation to arise so its there problem.

us aussies dont like that so much.

cheers :D

No need to go down the 'us Aussies' bit - there are some that don't like it and most don't give a flying one.

How hypocritical is your comment?

Many here complain that foreigners can't own land in Thailand and then complain that we allow foreigners to own 'our' land . . . or is it ok that Americans or Spaniards can own land in Oz, but not the Japanese.

Your posts come accros as you being a good ole' boy but these last few have you coming out not looking so crash hot on the 'matey, matey' front.

Don't mean to have a go at you, but please don't use the 'us' bit when you are posting your opinion.

Edited by Sing_Sling

No need to go down the 'us Aussies' bit - there are some that don't like it and most don't give a flying one.

How hypocritical is your comment?

Many here complain that foreigners can't own land in Thailand and then complain that we allow foreigners to own 'our' land . . . or is it ok that Americans or Spaniards can own land in Oz, but not the Japanese.

Your posts come accros as you being a good ole' boy but these last few have you coming out not looking so crash hot on the 'matey, matey' front.

Don't mean to have a go at you, but please don't use the 'us' bit when you are posting your opinion.

cricky's sling,

you've got right of your horse there my friend,

btw, where's its other legs ?

but im loving it, as im always up for a bit a verbal sparing and general banter as its good for the brain matter.

mate, i am the most unhypocritical fella you'll ever meet.

i am charged with only one mission and that is to be strait up with all punters.

thats why my inbox is over flowing because i am the people's person.

but never afraid to tell it as it is sing sling. :D

look mate, your flogging a dead horse as you have misinterprated my post and its done your noggin in. :D

i think its brilliant that us falang can not own land in los.

that tells me that the thai goverment intend to have there land remain in the hands off thai people.

with all our money, the falang would of bought bloody thailand if they could.

further more, the australian goverment sucks as any flogger with the money can march into perth and buy land.

if you have enough money you can buy your way into australia and set up shop.

im not saying wether its right or wrong but only stating the facts.

btw, im not a good old boy, but only a top aussie fella. :D

cheers sling :o

I'm sure your inbox is overflowing with accolades, being a 'top aussie fella' and I wouldn't deny that - just please don't include all Aussies in your posts slagging off the Japanese. I think it's great they are there and otehr places in Australia.

Have you been to Cairns? Did you ever visit befire the Japanese poured immense wealth into the place, creating thousands of jobs for Aussies and bringing tourist dollars/yen en masse. Don't go believing that all oney spent in Cairns goes back to Japan - that is a spurious argument at best, used to incite the xenophobic ire of some . . .

Aside from that, I think you're abit odd in your writing style, but you do seem to be a top fella in the John Cornell mould - no offense intended!

I'm sure your inbox is overflowing with accolades, being a 'top aussie fella' and I wouldn't deny that - just please don't include all Aussies in your posts slagging off the Japanese. I think it's great they are there and otehr places in Australia.

Have you been to Cairns? Did you ever visit befire the Japanese poured immense wealth into the place, creating thousands of jobs for Aussies and bringing tourist dollars/yen en masse. Don't go believing that all oney spent in Cairns goes back to Japan - that is a spurious argument at best, used to incite the xenophobic ire of some . . .

Aside from that, I think you're abit odd in your writing style, but you do seem to be a top fella in the John Cornell mould - no offense intended!

hello sling,

look mate,

you've made my day saying that you like me and all that.

i can well understand it, as its not too hard, as i am truly a top aussie fella.

now i know that you dont mean anything personnal when you stick the knife into me but that no concern of mine.

firstly i must rebuke you for inferring that i was slagging of the japanese.

certainly not true as if you review my post you will notice i was actually siding with them and you are correct that they contribute a huge amount to the queensland economy.

you chose to read my post other wise.

a classic mistake on this forum sling, people reading posts in the unintended manner.

now you've asked me for my connection with cairns ?

hope you have more than me mate, as i go back to 1976 when cairns had 1 set of traffic lights and port douglas had 3 pubs.

the top pub, the middle pub, and bottom pub.

not to many japs around then, i can tell you, but it was a <deleted> load better than it is now, as ill give you the tip mate :D

sing sing my top new friend, you have to be pretty good to pull one on me old mate, as im speaking from strait up experience and dealing with only fact.

quite an unbeatable combination actually.

but if you need any more advice dont hesitate to call.

PS.

how about i go halves with you and we will buy the bloody horse another pair of legs.

cheers my good friend. :o

you

How can anyone have a devcent conversation/discussion with you? :D If I misread your post then I apologise - it sounded like you were slagging them off.

Umm, can't say I go back to '76 and Cairns . . . plus it's way too far North in Cockroach Territory. :o

How can anyone have a devcent conversation/discussion with you? :D If I misread your post then I apologise - it sounded like you were slagging them off.

Umm, can't say I go back to '76 and Cairns . . . plus it's way too far North in Cockroach Territory. :o

thanks sling,

i'll take that as,

i have taken gold in our discussion and i am better then you at verbal sparing and general banter. :D

dont worry mate, you'll have a win another time. :D

in conclusion, cairns was a cracking place back then in 76.

i live in perth and was working up there.

if i had bought some land id be a millionair today.

cheers mate :D

ps what about the frigging horse ? :D

The horse stays - it's my defense when I'm bested at :
i have taken gold in our discussion and i am better then you at verbal sparing and general banter.

Love it!

your a cracking top bloke sing sling,

and you are welcome to honour my good self with a top drink at my expense of course, any time you are in los.

i salute you :D

cheers my old salt :o

I went out for dinner recently and was kind of horrified at the way the european tourist family on the table next to me were treating the waiter. The 'dad' had an awful scowl on his face the entire time he was ordering, didn't say please, thank you or even look at the waiter. I thought it was horribly rude.

After the waiter walked away 'dad' called out to him and raised his glass in a cheers/thank you - he still with the awful scowl on his face but it was obviously a sincere gesture. It was something of a reminder that the standard of 'polite behaviour' varies quite a bit between countries.

It is very easy to misinterpret the behaviour of someone from another culture. Particularly if they've just got off the plane and come from a non-smiling country!