Being Polite?

Minburi

:o Should I just turn off when I go out as in just shut down and think I am the only one and ignore all around me and have not feelings? WHy you ask?

Recently was out shopping at a large mall (future park)with my wife and daughter and I saw this group of people heading towards us. Tourists or expats or what ever you want to call them. Anyways I smiled politely and nodded at they the group and said good morning.

They all stared at me frowning and just well plain ignored me like i was beneath them.

I was not asking them to stop and talk I am not looking for a hug I was just being polite sheese.

Would I do the same with a Thai group? No but I do not think I am out of line in this. AM I?

I later saw 2 of the women from the group in a store talking in english so I know that they understood my good morning.

My wife says not to worry but I wonder why they were so rude. I call it the Tourist frown but it bugs me sometimes.

Excuse my Rant folks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider also that us expats/tourists also get blanked sometimes when trying to say a simple 'hi' to the Thais.

I play a lot of golf here, which I guess is populated by mainly hi-so Thai's, and sometimes I keep saying 'hi' to people for all 18 holes with no joy.

It always makes me personally feel better to be polite and I don't let it get to me if I get ignored.

Never mind Minburi, anyone who knows anything knows that Vancouverites don't have that accent. :D

As to being friendly to random tourists, depends on my mood :D I do enough of being friendly to tourists as it is, not sure if I want to extend it to the small amount of personal life I still have left :o

i feel pretty much the same .... I don't greet or pay attention to people at malls ....

Just someone having a white face isn't enough for me to get my attention. IF I have time and I see someone looking confused/lost on the street I May ask them if they need help. Then again I may not.

I sort of know what you mean.

When I lived in Samutprakarn you would only very occasionally bump into other westerners. I would always say hello - sometimes they would reply, other times you would get ignored. The most bizarre time was when the father of one of my students (luk-khrung girl) blanked me.

I would never do this in Chiang Mai though. I would in Loei.

I always make a point of saying "Hello" to other foreigners. As a scapegoated "ethnic minority" ( :o ) its always good to share a greeting together.

If other people cannot return the nod or pleasantry; its their problem.

It could have been that clip board you were holding and the time share poster on the wall behind you. :D

Now that is funny

Look all they had to do was answer a few questions and they could win a prize from the TOT..

Oh and today if you go to this gem store they are having a special government sale you could make a profit from the gem stones you take home :o

Never mind Minburi, anyone who knows anything knows that Vancouverites don't have that accent. :D

As to being friendly to random tourists, depends on my mood :D I do enough of being friendly to tourists as it is, not sure if I want to extend it to the small amount of personal life I still have left :D

Then again, every time I go to Vancouver people say Good Morning to strangers quite often. In London they'd think you were going to try to sell them something..

IMHO..Get over it Minburi..you're wife is right. Not all farang are the same. How many people would hold the door open for you in Vancouver? Lots. In Italy? Few. In Thailand - almost none. :o

The ignored greeting is kinda funny.

Tourists, especially backpackers ("travellers" :o ) from Denmark just out of high school don't seem to like talking to each other.

I'm thinking the young danes "came to see an exotic country" and don't want that "exprience" messed up by being too social with fellow backpackers from Denmark.

Young people from Israel gets very conversational among each other. It's like they have the direct opposite attitude.

As to being friendly to random tourists, depends on my mood :D I do enough of being friendly to tourists as it is, not sure if I want to extend it to the small amount of personal life I still have left :D

Then again, every time I go to Vancouver people say Good Morning to strangers quite often. In London they'd think you were going to try to sell them something..

IMHO..Get over it Minburi..you're wife is right. Not all farang are the same. How many people would hold the door open for you in Vancouver? Lots. In Italy? Few. In Thailand - almost none. :D

Yes! Canada! The most friendly farang country I've been to! :o

I think you have misunderstood all farangs as behaving the same as Canadians, Minburi. :D

If I am approached by anyone in Bangkok, Thai or Farang, I am immediately on my guard as I would be in any major city. I might mumble a greeting but I am not looking to make friends with complete strangers at a random encounter. At home, after I have seen you around for a while, O.K, but even then no, I cant lend you 10000 Baht until payday. Sorry if the OP fells bad,though.

Mr. Personality, baboon.

look fella,

i got a top idea that will sort you out as you definatly need my help.

take 2 bex tablets, have a nice cuppa tea, a good lay down and you'll front up trumps tomorrow. :D

you will then not have to trouble your self with such a quandary. :D

cheers mate :o

Just keep smiling Minburi, as long as you're happy :D . One day they may think back to that moment, when they've realised that some people really are just being nice.

I'd keep on doing it, if I stopped I reckon I'd think to much about it and start to get bitter..... :o

One day you might find that smiling at farang who have no idea and, just give you a funny look, actually cheers you up. I'd find it preety funny. :D

redrus

A long time ago I used to approach tourists when they looked like they were lost or needed help, but stopped that after a number of negative experiences. The final incident was amazing. I lived in Soi Moh Leng, and at the time the soi was flooded to a depth of about half a meter. Flooded right into the ground floor of the the apartment I lived in. Whenever farangs ventured into our Soi needing assistance the apartment staff would summon me, thinking that I could help them. So one day I get a knock on my door, "Mr. Qualtrough, your friend downstairs." I go down and wade through the ground floor area to find a farang couple. They were looking for the Bangkok Doll Factory. So I wade out to the Soi with them and point out the directions. They then ask if I could help them get a Tuk-Tuk. I flag a Tuk-Tuk and I negotiate a price of something like 20 Baht. Next thing I know they have a frown on their face, "too expensive" and push me aside to negotiate with the driver. That is the last I saw of them, no 'thank you' or even a 'good-bye'. That did it for me.

I think there's nothing more pathetic than cheerful farang in siam. Let me make it a bit clear:

ppl smile to each other when

1. they meet friends, or at least they know a bit about each other

2. some superiors - like a boss or chief

3. they ask for some excuse for ex. farting in elevator

4. they horny

5. they are indians from tailor shop

6. on meth

7. had a very bad face lift plactic surgery

8. you look sooooo ugly, I can't hide smile

9. retadrded

Otherwise, what the gr-br you're smilin' at me?

I think there's nothing more pathetic than cheerful farang in siam. Let me make it a bit clear:

4. they horny

6. on meth

9. retadrded

:o

4. they horny

6. on meth

9. retadrded

ooops, I forgot #10 here :

smart assed with "misterial smile" - that sort of 199 Baht shoes walking around with "know-all-shit" smile

4. they horny

6. on meth

9. retadrded

:D

I feel in general manners have greatly declined and indeed their validity greatly maligned in recent times which is tragic as i think they are essential for all to be well in society.I think one of the strangest maifistations of this decline is the fact IHO certain manners are almost frowned upon.For instance i would always hold a door open for a women or stand when they entered the room its the way i was brought up however i have lsot count how many times i have been accused by ladies(?)of patronising them for doing this i mean WHAT!!!!! :o