what is the most important accessory

dataanalysis

Radiator cover is nice since it would keep big bugs and leaves out of your radiator.

I'd go with that first.

All those sliders might help but the cost might be more than the cost of what is being protected.

• Like 1

3 things are the most important to upgrade.

Tyres as most bikes are sold with crap.

Suspension as it seems like all the bikes sold in the Kingdom for less than 1,000,000 are sold for a fly-weight Asian rider.

The biker him/her self. Get training or be prepared to spend money going down, running into things, etc.

Everything else is bling-bling.

• Like 2

Good advices from previous posters.

My new bike is still 100% original, still running it in and trying out carefully what the bike can safely do.

It all depends of which bike we are talking about regarding which accessories are necessary and off course riding style.

I am not gonna change much on my Versys, like it as it is. Rear hugger (mud guard), sliders, rad cover will likely come later.

I not gonna buy fancy blue lights and and other odd things, it's a simple bike and I like it that way.

Seen some PCX's in Pattaya that are wildly modified, some have spend +100K baht on extra's, up to them off-course but I just don't get it.

You can put as much lip stick on a pig as you want, but it's still a pig (pcx owner myself, upgraded rear shocks, no lip stick)

Tyres.

Shocks (if necessary)

IMO the rest is cosmetic. Frame sliders do almost nothing to protect fairings and probably cost more than it would to replace the fairing on many bikes here. I suppose they might give you a bit more room if your bike is lying on your leg. I certainly don't think they're 'most' important. The same goes for radiator covers.

Tyres.

Shocks (if necessary)

IMO the rest is cosmetic. Frame sliders do almost nothing to protect fairings and probably cost more than it would to replace the fairing on many bikes here. I suppose they might give you a bit more room if your bike is lying on your leg. I certainly don't think they're 'most' important. The same goes for radiator covers.

Yep about the frame sliders. Do MotoGP riders use them? Than they are probably not needed. And with the plastic being there without sliders, there is some force of the lay down absorbed through the bending of the plastic (and possible breakage). Will this prevent a tweaked frame that could happen with sliders? Perhaps. There's also a lot of poorly designed sliders that are attached to dubious points on a motorcycle.

The good thing about them is that they can be used as highway pegs.

I do tire and shocks first.

Next, I get a 100db horn that garners attention. Has been a life saver more than once.

For a long distance bike, I have one of the US seat rebuilders add a bit over the 6mm of cheap foam they put on the steel plate.

If the bike is to be used outside of Bangkok I add a lighting package in case I get caught out at night.

Thats pretty much the starting point for key essentials.

• Like 2

Ok, story time.

Was driving the car home with the wife the other night, dead sober and awake. All of a sudden there was a bike in front of me! Almost crapped my pants but he had just got lost in the "light traffic" of all the vehicle lights in front of me. Just did not see him, he blended in to the ambient light noise.

Missed him, thank Buddha but got me thinking so I now have 4 sets of green ( I ride a Kawasaki) led lights on the back frame of my bike. I also wanted a color that would make people look twice and hopefully not grease me.

Only see them at night so not too geekish.

Upgraded brake lines and (especially) pads- the extra few feet they might buy you can mean the difference between walking away from a close call and being carried away. I realize this isn't an appearance mod (though the lines look cool).

Definitely a huge improvement with mine, then suspension setup and crash protection. I then got the titanium & exotic super alloys bug. The rest is history :)
  • Like 1

Ok, story time.

Was driving the car home with the wife the other night, dead sober and awake. All of a sudden there was a bike in front of me! Almost crapped my pants but he had just got lost in the "light traffic" of all the vehicle lights in front of me. Just did not see him, he blended in to the ambient light noise.

Missed him, thank Buddha but got me thinking so I now have 4 sets of green ( I ride a Kawasaki) led lights on the back frame of my bike. I also wanted a color that would make people look twice and hopefully not grease me.

Only see them at night so not too geekish.

As an aside, blue is the colour that appears most intense to humans so someone wanting to ensure that they are seen the with the most ease uses that.

• Like 2

Okay, that's good to know about the frame sliders, I never had them of any of my bikes before so will not spend any money on any this time either.

properly designed sliders, bar end slider, axle slider provide low and high speed protection for chassis, engine, front end, brake calipers and swing arm. provided that they have strong mounts and made from good materials.

good ones are designed to slide! so of course dont snap the chassis or something.

cheap and effective investment.

a rad cover is also very important. a small stone from the front tire can ruin a day.

for a bike like versy, engine cover is also needed imo.

The ability to ride a motorcycle - failing that, the desire to learn.

The complete absence of the "Hey - look at ME on my DucHonAwaSkiDavidson with the unpronounceable Titanium / gold-plated / what-you-call-it"

Seriously - quality brakes and tires are at the top of the list.

A whistle, preferably attached with a laundry clamp at the rod of the mirror is very useful. A whistle will help you, when you stop at a zebra to wake up the pedestrians, who want to cross the street. A whistle is also useful, to alert other drivers to stop their practising, to leave a parking lot, as well on numerous other occasions, when you want to get out of a ridiculous traffic situation. Always bear in mind: Whatever is behind of you, cannot become dangerous any more .

My bike: Yamaha 110 Nano Spark, YSS Suspension, 15 SAE oil in the front fork (original 10 weight), Michelin M45 tires 2.50/2.75 for better traction and more ground clearance.

The most important accessory is a clear, sober brain (preferably protected by a decent helmet).

Secondly, proper insurance to protect yourself (and your passenger) as well as your bike in the event of an accident.

Thirdly - a properly maintained ride. Quality tires filled to the correct pressure. Braking system regularly serviced (pads, disks, cables, etc). Mirrors that are actually useful. Lights (headlights, brake lights, turn signals) that actually work and can be seen. Engine tuned/filters (oil, fuel and air) changed. Even down to having the seat, foot and hand controls adjusted so that they can be used easily.

After that, pretty much everything else is just cosmetic (or performance enhancing) and "nice to have". Personally I went with crash bars. Road conditions (and other drivers) have been the reason I've had to drop my bike in the past (3 times due to loose sand on the road, once due to an oncoming driver turning in front of me). The crash bar not only save my leg from injury but prevented any expensive damage to the bike as well. I've probably put over 200k (baht) into accessories for my bike but the crash bars were the best add-on.

3107_71734259219_3257006_n.jpg?oh=d1be5c10958980_10152713436514220_1375923464971

• Like 2

Having had some experience (40+ years) I can say with confidence:

1. Tyres

2. Suspension

3. Brakes (inc pads and linings).

Which one is most important depends on the bike and speed and surface - they can all be number 1 or 3 - really they are all number 1 (but brakes only less important for MX bike in the dirt).

Everything else, as long as it doesn't interfere with the above, is all good (especially a good looking 'speed inhibitor' on the back) smile.png

With regards to sliders - there are many Pros and Cons - but mostly it is Pro in my experience.

But it depends on the bike - if you have a scooter or el-cheapo then dont bother, as it is a waste of money.

But if you have a BMWS100RR then sliders for fairing and brakes (on wheels) are a must - these can be damaged in a small spill and are very expensive to replace.

The reason Pro Riders (all levels) do not use sliders is that their bikes are 'designed' to slide and their riding position makes it easy to fall off (with no legs underneath - usually).

Plus sliders will dig into the gravel/runoff on a race track and the last thing you want when sliding at speed (trust me on this) is a bike flipping up into the air.

Two reasons: You now have little idea where it is, and it will eventually come down (and maybe on you).

On a road the sliders will do their job - what would have cost a lot becomes maybe nothing (or just a little) - I have proven this a few times.

PS - sliders are not good for MX bikes or trail bikes when off-road.

PPS - also get extenders on the end of handlebars (sliders for handle bars) - if the bike doesn't already have them (most do nowadays).

• Like 2