US: Comedy Central says Jon Stewart leaving 'The Daily Show'

webfact

Comedy Central says Jon Stewart leaving 'The Daily Show'

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Comedy Central says that Jon Stewart will leave "The Daily Show" as host later this year.

His departure was announced by Comedy Central President Michele Ganeless after Stewart broke the news to the audience at Tuesday's taping in New York.

Stewart took over the show in 1999. He took a several months-long hiatus in 2013 to direct "Rosewater," a film about an Iranian-born journalist who was imprisoned for 118 days in Tehran and accused of being a spy.

The network lost another major host last year when Stephen Colbert left to take over David Letterman's late night show on CBS.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-11

I am seriously bummed. Along with Bill Maher, they are the only must-watch TV shows for me.

I nominate John Oliver as replacement. He did a fine job last year when Stewart was away on his movie project.

I think he would drop his HBO show in a heartbeat to take over the permanent reins of The Daily Show.

Edited by LALes

He will be sorely missed although it was really the tag-team lineup between the deconstructionist Stewart show and the deconstructionist Colbert show that reached new heights of comedic and satiric entertainment. I would like to see Samantha Bee and Jessica Williams take over the Daily Show. But too bad that the major streaming networks don't allow reception in Thailand without taking some technical detours.

And as one who doesn't always take coincidence for granted......Stewart and Brian Williams were always very close and complimentary in nature.

• Like 1

He will be sorely missed although it was really the tag-team lineup between the deconstructionist Stewart show and the deconstructionist Colbert show that reached new heights of comedic and satiric entertainment. I would like to see Samantha Bee and Jessica Williams take over the Daily Show. But too bad that the major streaming networks don't allow reception in Thailand without taking some technical detours. And as one who doesn't always take coincidence for granted......Stewart and Brian Williams were always very close and complimentary in nature.

Actually, Bee and Williams would be good. I was thinking Oliver myself, but that is a good suggestion.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Jon Stewart had a lot of followers and was very open about how his "schtick" was comedy, not to be taken too seriously. Nobody was ever forced to watch him.

If you haven't anything nice to say, you shouldn't saw anything. That's why I'm not recommending that you <deleted> off, in spite of how badly I wish to.

• Like 1

Well Last Week Tonight With John Oliver is already going and is definitely good.

The thing about "replacing" The Daily Show's Stewart with another is a tricky thing.

Stewart made the show ... and yes helped make other big and bigger careers through it (Colbert arguably bigger).

He's became something really different ... Chief Political Satirist and also primary news source for a large segment of the population.

Nobody else can be Stewart.

I can see Oliver in that role but can he really have the same cultural meaning as chief American political satirist ... given he's obviously a Brit?

Edited by Jingthing

Well Last Week Tonight With John Oliver is already going and is definitely good.

The thing about "replacing" The Daily Show's Stewart with another is a tricky thing.

Stewart made the show ... and yes helped make other big and bigger careers through it (Colbert arguably bigger).

He's became something really different ... Chief Political Satirist and also primary news source for a large segment of the population.

Nobody else can be Stewart.

I can see Oliver in that role but can he really have the same cultural meaning as chief American political satirist ... given he's obviously a Brit?

He's got a green card and he's married to an Iraq War vet.

What more do you want?

• Like 2

Jon Stewart had a lot of followers and was very open about how his "schtick" was comedy, not to be taken too seriously. Nobody was ever forced to watch him.

I enjoy Jon Stewart, but way too may people DO take him seriously. As long as one keeps in mind that very little of what he says about politics is based in reality, he is funny.

I enjoy Jon Stewart, but way too may people DO take him seriously. As long as one keeps in mind that very little of what he says about politics is based in reality, he is funny.

I think most of his viewers, and many political commentators and analysts and media experts would strongly disagree with you about his politics. wink.png

• Like 1

Hence the problem. He exaggerates wildly and lies his butt of most of the time to make his points. Funny, but not realistic

I think part of the problem for the right wing was the one-two punch that he and Stephen Colbert delivered. They were pretty merciless on extreme right views, and used the platform of comedy to deliver their views to young people, who were bored watching traditional newscasters from either side of the political spectrum.

Savvy right wingers like Bill O'Reilly used both these guys to strengthen his own conservative base (and I'm sure converted some Stewart viewers to their side) and was a frequent guest, had all sorts of faux debates, and other marketing gimmicks that benefited both O'Reilly's marketing machine and ratings and that of Stewart.

• Like 1

Savvy right wingers like Bill O'Reilly used both these guys to strengthen his own conservative base (and I'm sure converted some Stewart viewers to their side) and was a frequent guest, had all sorts of faux debates, and other marketing gimmicks that benefited both O'Reilly's marketing machine and ratings and that of Stewart.

I really like when Stewart and O'Reilly work together. Bill O is no comedian, but he is very amusing and clever. I am pretty sure that they genuinely like and respect each other.

• Like 1

I really like when Stewart and O'Reilly work together. Bill O is no comedian, but he is very amusing and clever. I am pretty sure that they genuinely like and respect each other.

Though I am probably more partial to Stewart than Oriellly, their ability to take each other seriously gives me hope about the world where there is so much partisan <deleted> on the telly.

• Like 1

He will be sorely missed although it was really the tag-team lineup between the deconstructionist Stewart show and the deconstructionist Colbert show that reached new heights of comedic and satiric entertainment.

Oops, just noticed my typo from yesterday. I meant to note, as others elsewhere have noted before me, that Stewart deconstructed the news and Colbert reconstructed the news.