One killed three injured in multi-vehicle Phuket crash

webfact

One killed three injured in multi-vehicle Phuket crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1423730279_1-org.jpg
One person was killed and three injured by the speeding truck.

PHUKET: -- At least one person was killed and three people injured in a freak accident this morning (February 12) involving multiple vehicles at the Old Airport Rd junction on Thepkrasattri Rd.

The Phuket News was originally alerted to the accident by eye-witnesses who said that there was heavy traffic in the area.

CCTV footage from the junction shows a mini-van, heading north, stopped at a red light at the Old Airport Rd when a speeding 10 wheeler truck slammed into the back of the van, pushing it across to the opposite side of the road hitting one car and two motorcycles on its way.

The Phuket News has learned that the driver of one motorcycle outside of the view of the camera was killed instantly.

The truck ended up lying on its side at the wooded verge at the side of the road.

Police are currently gathering more information from eye-witnesses CCTV.

Update:

The Phuket News has learnt that the motorcyclist who died at the scene was Utith Zhaiyang, 34, from the Chiang Mai province.

It took rescue workers several hours to cut the driver of the truck from his cab. He and two other people from the other motorcycle were taken to Thalang Hospital.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-killed-3-injured-in-multi-vehicle-phuket-crash-50992.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-12

Traffic lights switched on for the first time in years, I suspect is a contributing factor.

It is reasonable to not expect to have to come up upon stopped vehicles on what is 3+1 motorbike lanes in each direction.

Traffic lights in this location are more of a hazard than a help.

RIP to the poor motorcycle rider.

• Like 1

Absolutely correct. It was not difficult to see this will happen. Told my friend 2 weeks ago when they switched it on the first time, you don't have to wait 1 month till a big accident happen. Instead of having traffic lights they should close this crossover. Use the U-turns instead.

Came past the accident today. Horrible. RIP and good luck for the others.

<snip>

Traffic lights switched on for the first time in years, I suspect is a contributing factor.

Those traffic lights are usually in operation throughout the day.

Not correct. No traffic lights all the years there. First time they switched it on maybe 2 weeks ago.

It is at the old airport road.

<snip>

Not correct. No traffic lights all the years there. First time they switched it on maybe 2 weeks ago.

It is at the old airport road.

Yes, I know the old airport road intersection. All I can say is that they have always been working when I travel to the airport, I don't go so often to the airport but maybe every 2 months I make a run. I've never noticed them switched off. I welcome other member input.

That truck looks like it was really moving. What's the speed limit on that road? Light or no light, the truck driver should have been paying attention. Hope he does time for killing Utith Zhaiyang. ^^Thanks for the video link.

• Like 1

Nope, been switched off for many years, only recently switched on again and I can't for the life of me think why they needed to switch them on again - that junction for entering/exiting the old airport road has a wide central area for turning vehicles, and I can't recall any accidents at that junction - until now.

Update - just watched the cctv video. Nice for all the cars to drive off after the accident....

Edited by simon43

Nope, been switched off for many years, only recently switched on again and I can't for the life of me think why they needed to switch them on again - that junction for entering/exiting the old airport road has a wide central area for turning vehicles, and I can't recall any accidents at that junction - until now.

Update - just watched the cctv video. Nice for all the cars to drive off after the accident....

My apologies. I was thinking it was the old airport road that runs south to the main road. Now that I watched the video (nice link Hans) I can see it's the road the runs parallel to the runway down to the main road. Yes, those lights are usually switched off.

Maybe the idea is to ease the traffic through Nai Yang village and eventually use the road for the north bound traffic to/from the airport?

People seem to get confused don't they ? Nobody in their right minds can blame traffic lights for an accident like this which was caused by negligent and dangerous driving. Lights working or not working is totally irrelevant.

RIP the Motorcyclist.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, there are some mitigating circumstances in this case.

Those lights have been there years in-operative. (occasionally flashing on amber)

The urban speed limit is 60 km/h and on country roads and expressways it varies from 90 to 120 km/h. (Trucks I think are supposed to do no more than 80km/h allegedly)

That being said, the road is 3 lanes plus in each direction, it in not unreasonable to be traveling fast.

There should be adequate sign posting and advanced warning for traffic lights up ahead but in my opinion there isn't. All there is relating to lights northbound is a small yellow diamond type sign on a 5ft pole at the verge a few hundred meters before it. There's a huge gantry over the road just before the little sign, no mention of lights there. Why?

https://goo.gl/maps/KVCgq

Have a look at the above street view link. Is that sufficient warning bearing in mind the acceptable speeds on this road?

Not making excuses for him but, its obvious from the video that the driver of the truck, whilst possibly speeding, wasn't expecting to come up upon a stationary vehicle. If the driver knew there were lights through proper signage and advanced warning this might have been avoided.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1