Retired with 1500usd month - recommended max. condo rent?

Mcffee

Is the OP aware that he can't live full-time in Thailand on back-to-back tourist visas anymore?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that loophole has been closed.

Are you sure? sad.png

Yup - you better go ask on the visa forum to make sure.

Is the OP aware that he can't live full-time in Thailand on back-to-back tourist visas anymore?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that loophole has been closed.

its pretty easy to do a circle in neighboring vountries 3 months each. flights around $100. thailand gets boring anyhow stuck in the ssme place longer then 3 months.

I know how to do a ninety day visa run <deleted>

My point is that I don't think the OP can expect to stay in Thailand long-term relying on tourist visas.

I suggest you actually read and understand what UbonJoe said - yes, there is no legal limit - there is a practical limit where you fall under suspicion. I know two people who had a serious hard time recently - one member of this forum was interrogated at length in Vientiane and eventually granted a visa. One non-member was rejected in Penang.

It's a risky job, expecting to live out your entire retirement in Thailand on a tourist visa. The advice earlier about going to Cambodia should be looked at by the OP - maybe do six months in each country each year.

I recommend the minimalist lifestyle. Perhpas not doing the monthly bargirl and taking the matters in your own hands..hahahaha!

Never wanted to be a minimalist, now I know I don't want to be a minimalist.

Even monks are not minimalist anymore.

You are going to find many TV posters who claim to live well on less than $1500/mo--one, I remember claimed B5,500/mo was plenty. It sounds like you intend to live on Social Security, granted, better here than there. Good luck, not sure I could live in 25sqm and not drink, have sex, or even a steak when I wanted. Sounds like you need to find a Thai lady with money; that should solve all the problems.

Sorry, got side-tracked with my previous post. Your query was condo cost. It greatly depends on where you live. Stay away from the tourist traps and where other farangs congregate and you can have quite a nice condo for B10k--2-3 bdrs, 2-3 bths, even furnished. Go where farangs hang-out and B10k/mo will get you that 25sqm or less room, sparsely furnished at best. I have a friend in Satun, who has a lovely furnished one-bdr/bth condo with a seaview for B6,500/mo. I know another in Trang who has a nice little 2bdr/2bth detached house and garden, not two blocks from the water, for B3k/mo. I know another in Cha Am, which is farang-cluttered, who has a very nice furnished beach-side one room with bath for B7k/mo. I prefer a larger city, I live in a 4bdr/3bth three-story row house in a very nice neighborhood in the middle of Hatyai and pay B7k/mo.

I am sure you can find other 'deals' even in the farang-ghettos, and if you live frugally, as you state, you can make it.

• Like 2

Some are talking,Without reading.He is retired on 1500 usd a month.He does not use tourist visa.He gets a retirement visa.He goes immigration evey 3 months for as long as he stays there.I assume, if he is retired,He is over 50 years of age.He can apply for his retirement visa at HULL LIVERPOOL or LONDON before he lives in thailand.And they will also give him advice on terms of his visa.If i was in his possition,I would go pattaya.I have lived on and off all over thailand for many years.The new plaza is the best place in thailand,When you concider price of beer and food and many bars that are together..Thailand has become so expencive now . Even Udon thani is now expencive.And got ripped off big time by a bar.But i am wise.I paid the bill.This i have seen all over thailand .but never in the new plaza.Only drunks saying they had one beer less.At his age ,and on his budget.he is most proberbly safest in pattaya.As long as he becomes street wise.Of which the other expats,will put him right.

• Like 1

Some are talking,Without reading.He is retired on 1500 usd a month.He does not use tourist visa.He gets a retirement visa.He goes immigration evey 3 months for as long as he stays there.I assume, if he is retired,He is over 50 years of age.He can apply for his retirement visa at HULL LIVERPOOL or LONDON before he lives in thailand.And they will also give him advice on terms of his visa.If i was in his possition,I would go pattaya.I have lived on and off all over thailand for many years.The new plaza is the best place in thailand,When you concider price of beer and food and many bars that are together..Thailand has become so expencive now . Even Udon thani is now expencive.And got ripped off big time by a bar.But i am wise.I paid the bill.This i have seen all over thailand .but never in the new plaza.Only drunks saying they had one beer less.At his age ,and on his budget.he is most proberbly safest in pattaya.As long as he becomes street wise.Of which the other expats,will put him right.

Eh - where did he say he would be using a retirement visa?

• Like 1

I suggest you actually read and understand what UbonJoe said - yes, there is no legal limit - there is a practical limit where you fall under suspicion. I know two people who had a serious hard time recently - one member of this forum was interrogated at length in Vientiane and eventually granted a visa. One non-member was rejected in Penang.

It's a risky job, expecting to live out your entire retirement in Thailand on a tourist visa. The advice earlier about going to Cambodia should be looked at by the OP - maybe do six months in each country each year.

As paz said people have been living here decades on TR visas. One could simply show financial proof to allay suspicion. You know 2 people that got asked questions, perhaps they didn't prepare proof of income/residence. They got a visa anyway even without doing so!

Penang is known to be problematic. So just use Vientiane or Savannakhet. Replacing a passport full of stamps is both effective - consulates don't track stamps - and a necessity anyway as full page stickers quickly fill a passport.

This thread gives simple instructions on what is required if you get asked http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715011-red-stamp-in-vientiane-advice-needed/

Each to their own but I wouldn't advise Cambodia - with a much lower quality of living - over the minor inconvenience of providing certain info to consulates if asked.

All this is moot because, as posters said, he could get a retirement visa by showing proof of his regular monthly income (pension) from outside Thailand, without needing 800k in a Thai bank.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

The visa issue is your biggest problem now, unlike as little as 3 years ago. Much confusion cause by the junta's many pronouncements, and the perennial capricious enforcement depending which office you report to.

Cambodia has fewer hassles about visas, but the food can't hold a candle to Thai food, and, in my experience, housing is poorer value for the money. Medical issues, beyond a stubbed toe, will either be a lot more expensive, or dangerously inept. This means a trip to Thailand for anything significant.

No one can predict if the boss there will still treat foreigners (especially low-end retirees) well in the next few years, but, also IMHO, the Cambodian people are a lot more genuine and friendly than Thais.

As for retiring in Thailand, don't underestimate the visa issue in today's political climate.

After hearing all the horror stories/issues with Thai bargirls, why would you want ever to deal with them?!? especially with minimum income, avoid them altogether whether you have money or not

I'm going to Thai in a few months, I pray to God to ever not get seduced to go to those places

A basic visa is ok cheap. Yours is a retirement once a year. But this guy is talking about getting multiple "tourist" visas. The logistics involved traveling, staying overnight in outside countrys etc will add up quick. Think about that for a moment

Do we know that? I dont think we do.

All we really know is that they OP is "retired" and this would normally allow him to get a retirement extension.

How do you plan to handle the USA side of things? Do you budget for state and federal income taxes? Are you intending to participate in Obamacare? You could qualify for an exemption because you would live outside of the USA for the entire year(s). Age is a factor depending on what you plan to do for health insurance.

1500 USD is pretty minimalist living. Granted it can be a better lifestyle than working and living in a crap town back home. But you need a cheap apartment. The fellow above posted he pays 18K baht a month and gets by on 1700 USD pension. Certainly doable but things like health insurance weren't mentioned. From what I have seen in Pattaya area, a 15K/month condo or apartment can be had of decent quality. Not the best seaside place but pattaya does have all the modern stuff one could want.

How does cooking at home save money if you only have one mouth to feed. Theres a reason thais eat on the street. Its so freaking cheap.

Terminal 21 food court. Rice and 2 side dish is 35 baht. Bring your own cup and use bathroom water and you eat for 35 baht.

And after drinking the water you can use the cup to beg with

With 1500 usd live in America Cheap than Thailand Did you ever heard of Las Vegas

Sorry, Las Vegas is not cheaper than Thailand. A cheap apt here is $600 per month in a bad area and a car would be necessary. The cost of living is about the US average. The only advantage is the healthcare would be subsidized under Obamacare.

Just became 50 and might be able to get an O visa in my country, will go back yearly for my health insurance anyway.

I'm very selective with bars, girls etc. had 2 myself (bars, girls add a zero) in ChiangMai. Beside this, I have a new girlfriend might try make her run some small business like pancakes/cupcakes/fries or whatever that could pay the rent, although she's busy with her bachelor hates the idea of being a shopkeeper hahaha.

Edited by Mcffee

"Been away for 3 years and all I hear is Thailand has become much more expensive compared to a several years ago."

More expensive, really? I was thinking that it was getting cheaper. As other have pointed out, there are many rental properties and, as you drift away from the various rapid transit systems - but, since you're getting a motorbike and the best helmet available, it's a moot point - it gets a lot cheap. Regardless, many financial people recommend no more than 30% of take home pay. For you, that's about 13K THB/month.

After hearing all the horror stories/issues with Thai bargirls, why would you want ever to deal with them?!? especially with minimum income, avoid them altogether whether you have money or not

I'm going to Thai in a few months, I pray to God to ever not get seduced to go to those places

Not agree at all, I had different very pleasant relations with 'bargirls', they are not all red-heared, beer drinking, crazy, shouting, tattoo covered and spoiled sluts. Just you need the experience and skills to judge them by the person. One girl who came to my first bar asking to stay as 'freelancer' (to go with customers, she was still a virgin) I liked her so much that at the first sight I told her 'I want you to be my caissiere', 2 months later she was the boss and my girlfriend. A lovely young and pure Lisu lady from the mountains. Love those Lisu girls they are gorgeous and not stupid and they love to work.

Really take me out for a night and I point you the good ones! (in Pattaya it might be a bit hard though cuz here they get spoiled very quick)

I believe troubles happen mainly with foreigners who's first Thai contacts are bargirls without having any experience with Thai culture. My entrance to Thailand, long time ago were penpals with university degrees, this creates a a huge difference in your overal approach towards Thailand. The first 7 years I had never seen a bar from the inside, so I already understood Thai culture and speak the language when I had my first encounter with a bar girls. A few years later I have had hundreds of them in my bed and never had one single problem.

Edited by Mcffee
  • Like 1

10,000 baht a month, and try to get a place that includes cable and internet, I can recommend Park Lane in Jomtien

which has an excellent lagoon type pool and a fitness centre as well.

How does cooking at home save money if you only have one mouth to feed. Theres a reason thais eat on the street. Its so freaking cheap.

Terminal 21 food court. Rice and 2 side dish is 35 baht. Bring your own cup and use bathroom water and you eat for 35 baht.

It may be cheap but it ain't healthy.

And after drinking the water you can use the cup to beg with

With 1500 usd live in America Cheap than Thailand Did you ever heard of Las Vegas

Can you walk to the beach?

Your only place on your budget,is Pattaya.Just outside,You can get somewere for less than 5000 a month.You can walk to the beach for your exercise.Jomtien for your visa,s.I would forget about a motorbike.But you can get a good second hand one for 15000.At the beach,Ex pats and long stayers meet ,By central road.Very important to have someone to talk to,other than have to go a bar.Important to make some freinds in same position.You can still get a woman for an hour 500 baht in the afternoon,Its very important that you have a good medical insurance.Your home and insurance plus visa,s,Come first.Plus you need to put aside.The cost of flight and expences,If you have to go home,You can live in the sticks ,on your budget,very easily.But what is the point of beeing bored to death.Pattaya has everything.

Pattaya has everything..............hahaha. It really only has bargirls-har to loo at ones.

Seriuosly. Pattaya is for a certain kind of man.

Edited by Rajhulmaheesh